(Drum and Bass) Substation V

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Popey
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2021

Something a bit heavier from me. Drum and Bass 174bpm. Some final tweaks to do but more or less finished.

Hope some enjoy and as always any feedback appreciated :)

Edit : 19th November 2021 - Reworked this today new version here. Hope some enjoy

Last edited by Popey on 19 Nov 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Rising Night Wave

17 Apr 2021

aha. nice song. start is cool. only synth bass is not really my type.
whole song is very interesting to me but only that synth bass is really not my type. sorry for saying that.
maybe, really maybe: song is not that much dynamic as i was expecting from your intro text and start of song. - for this reason it is somehow boring.
perhaps you should add some pad into song. just a suggestion. it certainly is missing somethng in this song. maybe vocals?
i do not know. song is as i said not that much dynamic and something is missing.

try with adding vocals and some pad as i said.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Skimrok

17 Apr 2021

I actually love the bass , i think we are from a generation of a certain period when it comes to DnB :lol: good stuff Popey :thumbs_up: now to try and sort out my tune he!he! :oops:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

killhamster

17 Apr 2021

Yeah it's a really nasty sounding bass (good in this genre) and it fits well. Percussion is a little sparse but I tend to make stuff that's very busy sounding. Like the real subtle voice pad that comes in at 1:23 and near the end.

Popey
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2021

Thanks all certainly some really useful feedback here.

Rising night wave it's cool that the bass isnt your thing, variety is the spice of life and we are all different so no need to say sorry. I really like your idea of vocals or a pad and will revisit this to see if I can make it work.

Killhamster fair point about the percussion and after reading comments here and listening again to my song perhaps a combination of more/different perc, pads and vocals may add to the dynamics to keep interest in the track as it evolves.

Skimrok I would agree we seem to be of the same DnB generation. The bass was written to specifically try and emulate the tunes I played when I dj'd. The V in the title was a little nod to v Recordings as warhead etc are still some of my favourites and definitely impact on my style/choices. From about 1990-2010 was my heyday think valley of the shadows (fav), Micky finn/Aphrodite, early ram records, charge records etc. If you ever wanted to collab on a track I dont think we would be miles apart in our thinking.

I will revisit this track and post when updated. Thanks again for taking the time to comment and help me improve 👍

Popey
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2021

Have revisited this track a bit today. Still needs proper mixing and some eq but its changed quite a bit.

Popey
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2021

Finished this track now after a few eq tweaks and an attempt at home mastering using fabfilter pro q3, pro MB and pro L.

danc

23 Apr 2021

Popey wrote:
22 Apr 2021
Finished this track now after a few eq tweaks and an attempt at home mastering using fabfilter pro q3, pro MB and pro L.

Hey Popey - I like the ideas here... just one thing... I think the drums (except the kick) are a little too loud in the mix. I feel the other musical elements would really benefit from the drums being just a tad lower in volume.
Last edited by danc on 23 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Check my Soundcloud:

Skimrok

23 Apr 2021

:thumbup: wow that has improved a lot :thumbup: sounds like a different tune altogether :puf_smile:

yeah when we get our heads around this tune making I would love to do something together, :thumbs_up:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Popey
Competition Winner

23 Apr 2021

danc wrote:
23 Apr 2021
Popey wrote:
22 Apr 2021

Hey Popey - I like the ideas here... just one thing... I think the drums (except the kick) are a little too loud in the mix. I feel the other musical elements would really benefit from the drums being just a tad lower in volume.
Thanks Dan. I agree with the drums and struggle to get balance in my tracks. Due to kids being asleep when I usually have a spare moment to write I tend to create/mix a lot in headphones and what sounds cool in phones then needs more top end on my mackie monitors. A friend mentioned getting a rough balance by mixing with pink noise so I might look into that. Thanks for your feedback it is appreciated.

Popey
Competition Winner

23 Apr 2021

Skimrok wrote:
23 Apr 2021
:thumbup: wow that has improved a lot :thumbup: sounds like a different tune altogether :puf_smile:

yeah when we get our heads around this tune making I would love to do something together, :thumbs_up:
Cheers Skimrok I agree it certainly changed a fair bit 😀. Think we are both getting better from what I hear but still a way for me to go yet👍

Popey
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2021

have re-worked an old track as i often have liked my ideas but failed with the execution. Although I still have a lot to learn here is the first reworked track with my (hopefully) improved skills. I hope some enjoy

Bloma

20 Nov 2021

Love the bass on this. Lots of nice movement and things happening, and great head bobbing groove. In terms of feedback, I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more variation in the drums as they're very static, like some proper nasty synchronous fuckery or chopping them up in the sequencer.

Popey
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2021

Bloma wrote:
20 Nov 2021
Love the bass on this. Lots of nice movement and things happening, and great head bobbing groove. In terms of feedback, I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more variation in the drums as they're very static, like some proper nasty synchronous fuckery or chopping them up in the sequencer.
Hi Bloma, thanks for listening. I agree about the drums and also the drop could do some work imo. Revisiting tracks so will sort this before moving on to other older works :thumbs_up:

• Information