RE: equalizer (more than 3 band)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Rising Night Wave

17 Apr 2021

Hi you all.

I am looking for an equalizer that is in classical form and that is a RE.
Is there any RE that is equalizer in the Reason's shop and that has more than three bands?
Something like that:

(cropped screenshot of foobar2000)

It does not matter if it is free or priced. I am more and more insterested into getting this kind of equalizer, if there is any.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

cymek74

17 Apr 2021

B512 Vocoder does this also, just switch to EQ mode.
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

Rising Night Wave

17 Apr 2021

HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400

Rising Night Wave

17 Apr 2021

cymek74 wrote:
17 Apr 2021
yes i know. but it is somehow very unpractical.

Steedus
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2021

the Lab One eq has more features now, but I prefer it's original look back in the day:

integerpoet

17 Apr 2021

Steedus wrote:
17 Apr 2021
the Lab One eq has more features now, but I prefer it's original look back in the day:
Wow. 31 bands. I think I would have killed for one of those in my stereo consumer youth. But now that I know about parametric EQs and their pretty curves I feel in need of an explainer about why one would choose a graphic EQ with that many bands over a parametric EQ. I bet there's a video.

16161d

17 Apr 2021

Steedus wrote:
17 Apr 2021

Same here, which is why I haven't hit that update button yet. Love this EQ though.

killhamster

17 Apr 2021

integerpoet wrote:
17 Apr 2021
Steedus wrote:
17 Apr 2021
Wow. 31 bands. I think I would have killed for one of those in my stereo consumer youth. But now that I know about parametric EQs and their pretty curves I feel in need of an explainer about why one would choose a graphic EQ with that many bands over a parametric EQ. I bet there's a video.
I use the Red Rock 32 band EQ alongside their free dynamic driver RE to build dynamic EQs, so I can duck specific frequencies when I have instruments that occupy the same space.

16161d

17 Apr 2021

integerpoet wrote:
17 Apr 2021
Steedus wrote:
17 Apr 2021
These 31 band EQ's are useful in sound reinforcement, a lot of venues might run these in a rack to fine-tune your output to the acoustics of the space. This could be used similarly to make fine tunings for your room, I use it more in Reason as a creative effect though rather than precision corrective tool.

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2021

killhamster wrote:
17 Apr 2021
integerpoet wrote:
17 Apr 2021

I use the Red Rock 32 band EQ alongside their free dynamic driver RE to build dynamic EQs, so I can duck specific frequencies when I have instruments that occupy the same space.
Same!

Hey we live in the same area :D

Billy+

17 Apr 2021

After a bit of a play with some of the RE EQ's I decided to go with the Red Rock stuff.
IMG_2665.JPG
IMG_2665.JPG (33.67 KiB) Viewed 3559 times
IMG_2666.PNG
IMG_2666.PNG (140.99 KiB) Viewed 3559 times
It even comes with some really nice curve presets, such as Fletcher Munson Curve click the link if your interested in what they are and why that might be helpful.

It was a fairly easy decision to make as I all ready had a few RedRock devices.
Last edited by Billy+ on 17 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

killhamster

17 Apr 2021

I really like the Red Rock stuff, I think I have more from them than any other RE developer

Billy+

17 Apr 2021

Handy video using some RedRock tools...

I get a fair amount of use out of both of these as well, plus I have some of the others, however I haven't updated them to the new skin version as I prefer the original skins....
IMG_2668.GIF
IMG_2668.GIF (48.56 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
IMG_2667.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG (42.99 KiB) Viewed 3546 times

dvdrtldg

17 Apr 2021

16161d wrote:
17 Apr 2021
Steedus wrote:
17 Apr 2021

Same here, which is why I haven't hit that update button yet. Love this EQ though.
Me too! the update might have some cool features but it's just too hideous, I've stayed with version 1. I love that it has wet/dry, can't understand why more EQs don't have this (something to do with phase issues?)

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

18 Apr 2021

We are listening.... and we can look into something in the not so distant future :D

selig
RE Developer

18 Apr 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Apr 2021
16161d wrote:
17 Apr 2021

Me too! the update might have some cool features but it's just too hideous, I've stayed with version 1. I love that it has wet/dry, can't understand why more EQs don't have this (something to do with phase issues?)
EQs can sound "unexpected" with a traditional dry/wet control because of phase issues. That's why EQs like my ColoringEQ instead use a Master Gain approach - gives you the same functionality as dry/wet approach BUT with no phase issues, and added bonuses of a visual representation of the current EQ curve plus the ability to give positive (above 100% wet) curves!
One handy way to use this feature is to setup your EQ curve in solo, then bring master gain down to zero and listen in the context of the mix, slowing bringing your fine tuned curve up until you get the desired "amount" of the selected curve. Many times I find I get the desired results with less than 100% of the original curve, thus helping me to actually use LESS EQ overall because you only apply as much of the curve as is actually necessary!
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

18 Apr 2021

16161d wrote:
17 Apr 2021
These 31 band EQ's are useful in sound reinforcement, a lot of venues might run these in a rack to fine-tune your output to the acoustics of the space. This could be used similarly to make fine tunings for your room, I use it more in Reason as a creative effect though rather than precision corrective tool.
As a general concept I would not call a graphic EQ a "precision corrective tool" - that honor IMIO would go to a parametric EQ, which allows you to remove room resonances and feedback due to it's precision that exceeded any graphic tool. Graphic EQs OTOH are excellent for "drawing" an overall curve/shape to achieve tonal balances - but they suffer there if you want to make global changes such as moving the entire high section up/down or higher lower, something that would be easily achieved with a parametric by simply turning one knob.
I feel the initial draw (pun intended) of graphic EQs was the ability to somewhat "see" what you're doing to the house curve, something every digital parametric EQ can NOW do with their fancy displays (and something that was not possible with analog EQs).
That said, there is obviously still a market for graphic EQs in the digital world, and room for hybrid approach as well - EQ is far from a "one size fits all" effect! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

16161d

18 Apr 2021

selig wrote:
18 Apr 2021
As a general concept I would not call a graphic EQ a "precision corrective tool" - that honor IMIO would go to a parametric EQ, which allows you to remove room resonances and feedback due to it's precision that exceeded any graphic tool. Graphic EQs OTOH are excellent for "drawing" an overall curve/shape to achieve tonal balances - but they suffer there if you want to make global changes such as moving the entire high section up/down or higher lower, something that would be easily achieved with a parametric by simply turning one knob.
I feel the initial draw (pun intended) of graphic EQs was the ability to somewhat "see" what you're doing to the house curve, something every digital parametric EQ can NOW do with their fancy displays (and something that was not possible with analog EQs).
That said, there is obviously still a market for graphic EQs in the digital world, and room for hybrid approach as well - EQ is far from a "one size fits all" effect! :)
The hardware ones are so easy to mess up accidentally too.. especially in venues that like to position them in a rack right underneath the desk. I had one in a school theatre that was just an absolute mess, looked like the students had a go at it, but the school didn't have a sound engineer so they never touched it. All those faders are just begging to be messed with. We use a digital graphic EQ on our desk for doing the house curve, but they are generally set it and forget it, and in digital they don't suffer the same tamper concerns as the hardware ones so they can reliably get you in a good space where parametric doesn't have to do all the heavy lifting, you're right then that the graphic EQ's are used to more broadly shape the sound in practice than parametrics which have the flexibility of both, but there have also been times on some desks where I have limited bands on my EQ which I need, and so end up using a graphic EQ to carve out a specific frequency. Although I do still wonder what its use would be like in a studio where you don't have all the limitations of the live environment and parametrics are readily more available.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2021

integerpoet wrote:
17 Apr 2021
Steedus wrote:
17 Apr 2021
I use it in the ctrl room section to tame a couple of issues in my room. Other than that, i use parametrics for most of the EQ'ing.

eXode

20 Apr 2021

cymek74 wrote:
17 Apr 2021
The problem with the BV512 is that it introduces noticeable phase shifting, especially audible when set to 16 or more bands.

selig
RE Developer

20 Apr 2021

eXode wrote:
20 Apr 2021
cymek74 wrote:
17 Apr 2021
The problem with the BV512 is that it introduces noticeable phase shifting, especially audible when set to 16 or more bands.
Yes, that's ONE problem... there is also ripple with no bands active in all but FFT mode, some sliders do nothing (#3 comes to miners, may be others), plus everything below 100 Hz (and above 10 kHz or so?) is missing from all bit FFT mode (meaning it is cut and the EQ bands don’t cover that range).
this all from memory, I can post the actual response plots if anyone is interested.
bottom line - if you want a GOOD graphic EQ, use any of the other excellent RE options!
Selig Audio, LLC

Rising Night Wave

20 Apr 2021

yes, i shall. but if needed. yes, i said more and more i am thinking to buy it. but any way i shall still try solve my problems with too much bass at too many of my songs with implemented mastering section of reason - meaning 4 band eq for each sound track.

problem is i am not skilled that much for mastering. and when i did a song two weeks ago i decided to buy a more than 3 or 4 band eq because i was afraid to spoil the whole song with implemented reason's mastering 4 band eq.

but i shall first give it a try. if i will fail i will use some decent EQ from reason's shop. firstly for free as demo. then i shall see.

perhaps i should put at the end of chain for each music lane that bought EQ. i do not know. i think it will be easier. those 4 band EQ that reason has in it's master section is for me a bit frustrating. these classical more than 3 or 4 band EQ are more simpler to use.

i will report. in shortly.

Rising Night Wave

20 Apr 2021

ps: today i checked reason's store for eqs & filters section. i checked which eqs they have. and if i am not wrong person jam-s showed all eqs they have. i am interested into:
- ReQ 131 (31 band EQ),
- RE 302 Graphic Equaliser and
- Red Queen 10 Band 3 Mode Equalizer**

** this one is i am interested at least but it has those smooth transaction knobs which should be cool to use

selig
RE Developer

20 Apr 2021

Rising Night Wave wrote:
20 Apr 2021
yes, i shall. but if needed. yes, i said more and more i am thinking to buy it. but any way i shall still try solve my problems with too much bass at too many of my songs with implemented mastering section of reason - meaning 4 band eq for each sound track.
If you want to start with a well rounded but not too complicated EQ, I would suggest at least giving the SSL EQ a try. It's such an industry standard EQ and covers the basics so well, you can't go wrong for your "every day" EQ needs. I could be biased because I got my feet wet on an SSL back in the 1980s as my first "real" console/EQ, and I STILL find it useful today.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information