Bouncing Mix Channel question

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Jagwah

14 Apr 2021

When I bounce a mix channel using the File menu I want to include the reverb send effect I used, I was assuming if I have 'Apply mixer settings' to 'All' that would include it or do I need to actually check the 'FX 1' box every time I bounce a channel to include it?

Having a little trouble deciphering the difference and I'm a bit burnt out from a long session would be great if someone who knows could answer, cheers!

BOUNCE CHANNELS.jpg
BOUNCE CHANNELS.jpg (110.69 KiB) Viewed 662 times

Billy+

14 Apr 2021

The mixer is the channel and all includes the whole strip eq comp dynamic pan and volume, but if your using the fx and you want to include them in the bounce then you need to enable the master section or the individual fx.

It's handy to allow you to choose but can also be a little confusing.

Billy+

14 Apr 2021

You will probably also want to select bounce to : new track in song as well as mute original channel.

Billy+

14 Apr 2021

You might want to disable Dither, as you should only do that once, preferably at the mastering stage.

selig
RE Developer

14 Apr 2021

You won't be able to bounce every mixer channel at once with send FX if they are shared by multiple channels, such as the snare and vocal both sending to the same reverb. But I've never needed or wanted to bounce individual channels WITH their send FX over many years of working in music production, so I have to wonder if there's a better way to get what you're wanting from this process? Meaning, are you SURE you want to permanently combine a dry track and it's FX? I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish, which is why I'm asking for clarity… :)

As Billly+ said, if you want to bounce shared FX you'll need to bounce the master section one channel at a time. You do this by soloing the channel in question (the FX Returns will automatically also solo, or if you use Mix Channels for FX returns you'll need to also solo those) and bouncing the "mix" (which is only one channel plus FX). And unless you're releasing the bounces (!) you'll want to bounce to 24 bit files.
Selig Audio, LLC

Billy+

14 Apr 2021

Sorry I assumed that single track bounce was implied...

I use XO for drums quite a bit as I find it very quick to build a kit and when I'm ready to bounce the drums I will explode the midi onto multiple tracks and bounce each separately with the internal fx's before grouping.

Jagwah

14 Apr 2021

selig wrote:
14 Apr 2021
You won't be able to bounce every mixer channel at once with send FX if they are shared by multiple channels, such as the snare and vocal both sending to the same reverb. But I've never needed or wanted to bounce individual channels WITH their send FX over many years of working in music production, so I have to wonder if there's a better way to get what you're wanting from this process? Meaning, are you SURE you want to permanently combine a dry track and it's FX? I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish, which is why I'm asking for clarity… :)

As Billly+ said, if you want to bounce shared FX you'll need to bounce the master section one channel at a time. You do this by soloing the channel in question (the FX Returns will automatically also solo, or if you use Mix Channels for FX returns you'll need to also solo those) and bouncing the "mix" (which is only one channel plus FX). And unless you're releasing the bounces (!) you'll want to bounce to 24 bit files.
Billy+ wrote:
14 Apr 2021
You might want to disable Dither, as you should only do that once, preferably at the mastering stage.
Thanks guys yeah I should have clarified exactly what I am doing I'll try remember that in future.

I am bouncing down everything in a finished track to audio for someone else to mix and master. So surely in this case it would make sense to bounce each track with their send / return reverb effect attached? Each channel has their own amount dialed in so I can only assume this is right, please advise if not.

Looks like you already answered my questions as I will bounce via 'solo and export' and look at doing so in 24bit.

Cheers! :thumbup:
Last edited by Jagwah on 15 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipOrdonez

14 Apr 2021

I prefer getting send effects on separate channels and it is good that Reason bounces them separately.

Jagwah

15 Apr 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
14 Apr 2021
I prefer getting send effects on separate channels and it is good that Reason bounces them separately.
The more I deal with this stuff the more I appreciate how well it is all designed.

selig
RE Developer

15 Apr 2021

Jagwah wrote:
14 Apr 2021
selig wrote:
14 Apr 2021

Billy+ wrote:
14 Apr 2021
Thanks guys yeah I should have clarified exactly what I am doing I'll try remember that in future.

I am bouncing down everything in a finished track to audio for someone else to mix and master. So surely in this case it would make sense to bounce each track with their send / return reverb effect attached? Each channel has their own amount dialed in so I can only assume this is right, please advise if not.

Looks like you already answered my questions as I will bounce via 'solo and export' and look at doing so in 24bit.

Cheers! :thumbup:
There is only one rule when sending tracks to be mixed or mastered: ask the person doing the mixing or mastering.

That said, most old school mixers want the digital equivalent of tape tracks: no FX, no automation, no grouping/bussing. Just the audio tracks on their own. Can't tell you how frustrating it is to get tracks when FX on them because it can limit (sometimes severely) what can be done at the mix stage. Plus it often means all mono tracks are now stereo, doubling the size of the transfer.

These days it is SO easy to ask for additional tracks or FX tracks after the fact, even if just to use as a reference if you're "chasing the demo/rough mix". But again, it is 100% up to the mixer what to send…
Selig Audio, LLC

Jagwah

15 Apr 2021

selig wrote:
15 Apr 2021
That said, most old school mixers want the digital equivalent of tape tracks: no FX, no automation, no grouping/bussing. Just the audio tracks on their own. Can't tell you how frustrating it is to get tracks when FX on them because it can limit (sometimes severely) what can be done at the mix stage. Plus it often means all mono tracks are now stereo, doubling the size of the transfer.

These days it is SO easy to ask for additional tracks or FX tracks after the fact, even if just to use as a reference if you're "chasing the demo/rough mix". But again, it is 100% up to the mixer what to send…
This is really blowing my mind and I might need to make a new thread to discuss it at length!!

• Information