I want to recreate the instrument in the Blade blood rave scene

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
challism

12 Apr 2021

nickb523 wrote:
11 Apr 2021
joeyluck wrote:
10 Apr 2021

Lol yeah upgrade 😜 Or even just try Reason and try ABL3 for 30 days.

I just thought I'd offer the example and patch here because I had made it and it's still very relevant to the thread. I did acknowledge that the OP only has Reason 5 and it might not be of use to the OP, but the OP could maybe hit that try button on Reason and ABL3 to have a play.

Ans what do you mean by "attention seeking use of maximization?"
The OP's question was how can this be achieved in Reason 5 with limited tools and you just ignored all that to show off ABL3.

OP - "How can I emulate the 303 type sound on that Blade track?"

Joey - "Buy a 303 emulator"

The "attention seeking use of maximization" was entirely just an observation. You added drums and made it really loud in order to sound more impressive. The OP is using Reason 5 alone so this is neither impressive nor helpful in the context of the original question, it's either you advertising ABL3 or just showing off. Granted, it's sounds great and almost bang on the original sound but that isn't particularly hard to achieve when you're using a device built for that very purpose.

Following your thinking the OP should just throw Reason 5 in the bin, buy a 303 and one of those Boss distortion pedals on ebay and call it day. ;)
I would suggest you soften your tone a bit, Nick. Joey did nothing wrong by posting his patch. It's relevant to the post and opens up an interesting dialogue. The patch he made is very good, so why not share it with the rest of us? If the OP can't use it, no problem. Replies to threads should be treated like items at a buffet; take what you want, leave the rest.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Sterioevo

12 Apr 2021

sounds like rebirth to me

challism

12 Apr 2021

Sterioevo wrote:
12 Apr 2021
sounds like rebirth to me
Which is basically a 303 emulator
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

guitfnky

12 Apr 2021

I agree there’s nothing wrong with Joey sharing his patch (could be useful for others with more recent versions), but I also think there’s nothing wrong with Nick’s response, even if I don’t agree with it substantively. criticizing his “tone”—really? he clearly feels strongly, but stated his case without resorting to personal attacks. tone-policing does nothing to help anyone. mods should be here to keep things civilized (and you all mostly do a great job), but there was nothing uncivil about the post. maybe take your own advice and leave the posts you don’t like sitting in the buffet tray.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

12 Apr 2021

guitfnky wrote:
12 Apr 2021
I agree there’s nothing wrong with Joey sharing his patch (could be useful for others with more recent versions), but I also think there’s nothing wrong with Nick’s response, even if I don’t agree with it substantively. criticizing his “tone”—really? he clearly feels strongly, but stated his case without resorting to personal attacks. tone-policing does nothing to help anyone. mods should be here to keep things civilized (and you all mostly do a great job), but there was nothing uncivil about the post. maybe take your own advice and leave the posts you don’t like sitting in the buffet tray.
I see it also as try from Nick to make a personal attack.
Being respectful to the mods is a good guide here, since we do this for free in our spare time. Being kicked at the shin doesnt disserve any mod here and even nobody as well, if he offers something additional useful to a thread.

I see plenty of good patches provided here by our excellent members and mods. Something for everyone. From R5 to ABL3 owners.
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

12 Apr 2021

Loque wrote:
12 Apr 2021
I see it also as try from Nick to make a personal attack.
Being respectful to the mods is a good guide here, since we do this for free in our spare time. Being kicked at the shin doesnt disserve any mod here and even nobody as well, if he offers something additional useful to a thread.

I see plenty of good patches provided here by our excellent members and mods. Something for everyone. From R5 to ABL3 owners.
where is there a personal attack?

I get that you all do a lot, and for free, and I think I speak for most when I say it’s appreciated, but we’re all human, including mods, and no one is above criticism (even if it’s questionable), as long as it’s respectful. I see nothing anywhere in either of their responses that’s disrespectful.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

12 Apr 2021

joeyluck wrote:
10 Apr 2021
Here is an example with ABL3 :puf_smile:

I know the OP is only on Reason 5, but for others, ABL3 is the absolute best place to start IMO.

The rest is fine tuning the ABL3 settings and finding the right distortion and effects. I just used a Scream 4 followed by an RX950, The Echo, and RV7000 MkII. The drums I just threw in for fun are Rytmik.

Here is the Combinator patch:

Confusion (Pump Panel Reconstruction Mix) -JL.cmb.zip

If you have ABL3, feel free to make adjustments and post here :-)
Hey joey, it's cheaper to buy the TD-3 hardware than the ABL3 vst ;)

Billy+

12 Apr 2021

IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2649.JPG (173.5 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
ABL3 vst is £90.33

joeyluck

12 Apr 2021

Billy+ wrote:
12 Apr 2021
joeyluck wrote:
10 Apr 2021
Here is an example with ABL3 :puf_smile:

I know the OP is only on Reason 5, but for others, ABL3 is the absolute best place to start IMO.

The rest is fine tuning the ABL3 settings and finding the right distortion and effects. I just used a Scream 4 followed by an RX950, The Echo, and RV7000 MkII. The drums I just threw in for fun are Rytmik.

Here is the Combinator patch:

Confusion (Pump Panel Reconstruction Mix) -JL.cmb.zip

If you have ABL3, feel free to make adjustments and post here :-)
ABL3 RE is $69. And I'm still trying to keep in the software realm :)

Billy+

12 Apr 2021

joeyluck wrote:
12 Apr 2021
Billy+ wrote:
12 Apr 2021

$69 that's not bad, but I'm getting £90 which is a rubbish exchange rate then or there's something wrong on their site!

I see your say RE, sorry for the response - I'm avoiding RE's for now ;) but £64 is better than £90 I guess

joeyluck

12 Apr 2021

Billy+ wrote:
12 Apr 2021
joeyluck wrote:
12 Apr 2021

$69 that's not bad, but I'm getting £90 which is a rubbish exchange rate then or there's something wrong on their site!

I see your say RE, sorry for the response - I'm avoiding RE's for now ;)
Gotcha. Well I mean, ABL3, TD-3, any of the Roland offerings in hardware or software would be great to have if you are a big fan of the 303 sound. IMHO ABL3 is the best software emulation, even better than Roland's own plugins and digital hardware recreations.

Billy+

12 Apr 2021

joeyluck wrote:
12 Apr 2021
Billy+ wrote:
12 Apr 2021

I see your say RE, sorry for the response - I'm avoiding RE's for now ;)
Gotcha. Well I mean, ABL3, TD-3, any of the Roland offerings in hardware or software would be great to have if you are a big fan of the 303 sound. IMHO ABL3 is the best software emulation, even better than Roland's own plugins and digital hardware recreations.
Yeah kinda strange that most say go for the Behringer version over Roland.

joeyluck

12 Apr 2021

Billy+ wrote:
12 Apr 2021
joeyluck wrote:
12 Apr 2021

I haven't used the TD-3 myself, so I don't know how it compares, but it's analog and that's fun. The Roland hardware ones are digital, which some digital recreations of various synths prove to do the job, but I think when people shop for hardware, they then start to consider which hardware can offer them something unique to what they can have in software. That and the price.

Billy+

12 Apr 2021

joeyluck wrote:
12 Apr 2021
Billy+ wrote:
12 Apr 2021

I haven't used the TD-3 myself, so I don't know how it compares, but it's analog and that's fun. The Roland hardware ones are digital, which some digital recreations of various synths prove to do the job, but I think when people shop for hardware, they then start to consider which hardware can offer them something unique to what they can have in software. That and the price.
My brother has a yellow TD-3 and I sent him the pattern from above to see what it sounds like, and it's pretty sweet.

It's definitely got more going on than the ABL3 and for the price compared to the VST I would say worth the extra effort with cables and syncing plus you get actual knobs to tweak. I nearly brought one just for fun and I don't do acid music lol

dioxide

12 Apr 2021

If you want to create a TB303 using only native devices, you'll need to find a copy of the Transisthor patches. Initially it was free and it later got a commercial release.
viewtopic.php?t=7368945

That kept me going through the days before ABL2 was released as a Rack Extension. I don't have a copy any more, and tbh I'd recommend you try or buy ABL3 if you're going to get some use from a 303 style synth.

splitpen

13 Apr 2021

deeplink wrote:
11 Apr 2021
Here's a version of it done with Combinator and Thor (Reason 5 friendly), comes with the melody embed in the Thor

WeTransfer Link: https://we.tl/t-7mjlZqsbbo

Really cool Deeplink!
Borrowed your sequence and took a different approach on the filters and distortion. Should be working on R5 also i guess, have fun!

That abl patch sounds very good Joey! :thumbup:
Attachments
Combi_BloodRave3.zip
(6.58 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

Antiverse

10 Sep 2022

I don't use Reason at this very moment. But I am curious about one thing..

@Loque states the main bassline is a saw thats being used, but I can't really fathom how thats possible. Every possible eq curve/distortion ive applied doesn't get me there unless I used a PW'ed square in Physcion 2 by D16 Group "By the way, you gotta check that out, its an ABL3 killer if you ask me"

• Information