Do you create music sitting or standing up?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

04 Apr 2021

mcatalao wrote:
31 Mar 2021
But I play flutes and EWI and prefer to play wind instruments standing.
OK, I had to Google EWI, because I didn't know why you would have to stand to play an East West Instrument virtual flute or clarinet.

( You learn something new every day :) )

stratatonic

04 Apr 2021

Ostermilk wrote:
01 Dec 2016
I'll usually sit if I'm working out a substantial movement, if it's something more fluid that just involves a bit of tinkling around I'm happy to stand.
MrFigg wrote:
31 Mar 2021
If I want to make a number 1 I usually stand. If I sit it's always been a number 2 hit.
Ostermilk > MrFigg

A solid effort Figg 8.5/10

mcatalao
Competition Winner

04 Apr 2021

stratatonic wrote:
04 Apr 2021
mcatalao wrote:
31 Mar 2021
But I play flutes and EWI and prefer to play wind instruments standing.
OK, I had to Google EWI, because I didn't know why you would have to stand to play an East West Instrument virtual flute or clarinet.

( You learn something new every day :) )
You don't necessary have too, but it gives you better control and technique to play standing than having your torso all curled and reduce your lung capacity.

Ewi stands for an Electronic Wind Instrument. It is basically a monophonic synth that you play as a flute or a sax/clarinet. It's an amazing instrument and allows such detailed control.

joeyluck

04 Apr 2021

stratatonic wrote:
04 Apr 2021
Ostermilk wrote:
01 Dec 2016
I'll usually sit if I'm working out a substantial movement, if it's something more fluid that just involves a bit of tinkling around I'm happy to stand.
MrFigg wrote:
31 Mar 2021
If I want to make a number 1 I usually stand. If I sit it's always been a number 2 hit.
Ostermilk > MrFigg

A solid effort Figg 8.5/10
It was a Behringer remake :D

MixerJaexx

07 Apr 2021

My studio hardware set up is on a custom standing-height stainless steel desk. I do a mix of standing and sitting by using a barstool-height chair (out of frame).

The most freedom (and fun) is standing, but while sitting I can access most of the rack hardware, all 24 channels of the mixer, the 49 key keyboard (via keyboard drawer), isomorphic keypad, universal controller, modular synth, patch cables and drum pad (now positioned on the wall below the modular synth). But because sitting and reaching to the left or right quickly is slower sitting, it encourages you to stand up. Standing more is my goal so it works out. (I also use a chair with no padding to encourage standing more.) This set up also supports normal computer use (notice the keyboard and mouse are front in center) including gaming (space for throttle and joystick or iPad second screen, etc). It’s great for digital painting too, I created the art for my Sound-sized Treats album on my standing desk while playing the Reason project files and watching the mixer faders move with the songs.

I choose this desk set up as it’s far cheaper to build a modular stationary high desk and use any number of barstool-height chairs than to build or purchase a convoluted and far more expensive transforming desk. My custom studio rack and desktop wouldn’t fit under a moving desk, a moving desk wouldn’t support the weight of all the hardware on the desk (including network equipment behind the mixers), I can transition from sitting on a chair to standing in seconds and the standing desk allows multiple people to stand and work together (up to three with my set up).
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

Bloma

11 Apr 2021

At the moment I'm lying on my stomach in a sleeping bag with my laptop and keys and it's 5am and been raining all night and I live on the top floor apartment with a tin roof so you can hear the rain real good and I ate some weed

DaveyG

11 Apr 2021

MixerJaexx wrote:
07 Apr 2021
My studio hardware set up is on a custom standing-height stainless steel desk. I do a mix of standing and sitting by using a barstool-height chair (out of frame).

The most freedom (and fun) is standing, but while sitting I can access most of the rack hardware, all 24 channels of the mixer, the 49 key keyboard (via keyboard drawer), isomorphic keypad, universal controller, modular synth, patch cables and drum pad (now positioned on the wall below the modular synth). But because sitting and reaching to the left or right quickly is slower sitting, it encourages you to stand up. Standing more is my goal so it works out. (I also use a chair with no padding to encourage standing more.) This set up also supports normal computer use (notice the keyboard and mouse are front in center) including gaming (space for throttle and joystick or iPad second screen, etc). It’s great for digital painting too, I created the art for my Sound-sized Treats album on my standing desk while playing the Reason project files and watching the mixer faders move with the songs.

I choose this desk set up as it’s far cheaper to build a modular stationary high desk and use any number of barstool-height chairs than to build or purchase a convoluted and far more expensive transforming desk. My custom studio rack and desktop wouldn’t fit under a moving desk, a moving desk wouldn’t support the weight of all the hardware on the desk (including network equipment behind the mixers), I can transition from sitting on a chair to standing in seconds and the standing desk allows multiple people to stand and work together (up to three with my set up).
That's a superb setup with one major drawback - the speaker positioning sucks! Apart from that, nice one. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

MixerJaexx

12 Apr 2021

DaveyG wrote:
11 Apr 2021
That's a superb setup with one major drawback - the speaker positioning sucks! Apart from that, nice one. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Yeah, I agree that I’d prefer the speakers placed different if possible. I don’t recommend people positioning their speakers this way. But it’s the best set up for the constraints of space and not mounting them to the walls (avoiding bass rumbling through the walls). To the left of the set up is an entry way to an alcove-like area that can’t be blocked. This set up literally can’t take up any more space to the left, right, top or bottom. These speakers are placed between a rock and a hard place.

Fortunately they sound fine enough (the speakers aren’t intended to fill a room with sound so proper placement isn’t much of an issue). The one reduction is the stereo field can change “position” depending on if you’re leaning over the desk (literally on top of the speakers).

I’ll be taking this set up and moving it into a larger space in a few months with larger, higher quality speakers positioned ear height.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

illlumen

12 Apr 2021

Sitting when I mix and working inside Reason (although I occasionally get up and walk around in the room to see how the mix resolves from another aural perspective). When working with my hardware synths and my modular system I am standing. So I have a good compromise between both, I think.

pushedbutton

13 Apr 2021

I generally sit, when I feel myself wanting to get on my feet I know I'm on to something.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

• Information