Ekssperimental Sounds SPACEXPANDER - Spring Reverb

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
PhillipOrdonez

27 Mar 2021

Thanks to the developers!

ekss
RE Developer

27 Mar 2021

Loque wrote:
27 Mar 2021
The reverb or the convolution samples sound really nice. The bad thing is, it consumes around 6-8 times more of the CPU usage from RV7000MKII so i'd rather would have just the samples or does this thing any additional magic to justify the CPU usage?
Only thing added is the tube type amplifier on the input and the the filter(s). It shouldn’t consume much of cpu, but I’m not sure how optimized Gorilla Engine is. I’ve used the same stuff in other REs and none has been particularly heavy on the cpu, but i guess RV7000 is super optimized. Reason is known for being cpu friendly.

You can get the samples (and a few additional ones) for $7 directly from Past To Future - so if cpu power is an issue I suggest you go get them!

ekss
RE Developer

27 Mar 2021

Yonatan wrote:
27 Mar 2021
Lovely taste of 70’s jamaican dub reverb on the drums. Thanks. Will have to test on vocals too.
Really quality RE”s by this developer. 🙏🏼
Yeah, king tubby used the spacexpander! I really love the springy’ness and atmosphere it has!

Loque

27 Mar 2021

ekss wrote:
27 Mar 2021
Loque wrote:
27 Mar 2021
The reverb or the convolution samples sound really nice. The bad thing is, it consumes around 6-8 times more of the CPU usage from RV7000MKII so i'd rather would have just the samples or does this thing any additional magic to justify the CPU usage?
Only thing added is the tube type amplifier on the input and the the filter(s). It shouldn’t consume much of cpu, but I’m not sure how optimized Gorilla Engine is. I’ve used the same stuff in other REs and none has been particularly heavy on the cpu, but i guess RV7000 is super optimized. Reason is known for being cpu friendly.

You can get the samples (and a few additional ones) for $7 directly from Past To Future - so if cpu power is an issue I suggest you go get them!
Thanks for the hint 👍

I noticed that convolution reverbs in other RE and Guerilla Engine are quite heavy on the CPU too.
Reason12, Win10

ekss
RE Developer

11 Apr 2021

Hi RT crew!
I just wanted to give a heads up!
I’ve been discussing with Past To Future about how long we should have this offered for free and about doing an update. We want to add in the remaining IRs from the Vol.2 pack, adding CV jacks for gain and mix and also adding a IR representation on the front panel.
So we decided to make a 2.0 update and with it change from a free product to a paid one. The update will be minimum price (I think it’s 9usd) and the full price will be 49 usd. There’s been over 1300 downloads (that’s pretty much in the RE world!) of the free version so we recon that everyone that wanted it probably has got it by now (if you still haven’t got it please go and download while it’s still free!).
The update is of course optional so if you like it ‘as is’ you can just keep using it. We hope that those who really like it and also want the new features feel ok to pay the minimum price for the update and help supporting more collaboration REs by Ekssperimental Sounds and Past To Future Reverbs.
It will probably take about a week until 2.0 is ready so tell your friends to get it now!

Steedus
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2021

I was going to suggest when you were trying to decide if to keep it free or not that you could do a paid version with the other IRs included etc. Sounds good, definitely worth the upgrade!

ekss
RE Developer

11 Apr 2021

Steedus wrote:
11 Apr 2021
I was going to suggest when you were trying to decide if to keep it free or not that you could do a paid version with the other IRs included etc. Sounds good, definitely worth the upgrade!
❤️

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2021

🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Steedus
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2021

Bought!

moneykube

19 Apr 2021

a fair upgrade price.. bought and thank you for your endless temptations... bundle time
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

ksniod

19 Apr 2021

Great! Bought the update too

Lost Dog

19 Apr 2021

Me too, many thanks

TheGodOfRainbows

29 Jun 2023

I've grown to really like this Re. AFAIK, it's the only one of it's kind in the Reason shop. But, from the day it was released, I wished it had the IR selector on the front because I wanted to be able to have a knob on my combinator guitar fx chain/rig for easy browsing while jamming. I have things set up so that I can cycle through different amps/cabs, with knobs for gain, compression, reverb mix, etc, all in one place so that I don't have to go scrolling through the rack to adjust all these things while I'm in the zone. And while having to flip the rack around to change the IRs isn't a HUGE deal, it just seems unnecessary and does break my flow a bit because you must use the mouse, rather than just turning a knob on my midi controller.

So, I ended up buying a VST spring reverb unit, not just to have a variety of choices, but also because I can assign a combinator knob to cycle through all the different IRs. But I would have rather stayed within the Re ecosystem.

I still am going to keep using the spacexpander, because I love it. I think it's underrated too. But I sure do wish the IR selector was on the front. At one point on some thread, I did inquire about this, and Ekss responded with their reasoning behind doing it that way, which I believe was mostly about aesthetics, but I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, I still love this Re, but is there any chance Ekss you might consider making that change? Does anybody out there feel the same?

dvdrtldg

30 Jun 2023

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
29 Jun 2023
I've grown to really like this Re. AFAIK, it's the only one of it's kind in the Reason shop. But, from the day it was released, I wished it had the IR selector on the front
You can upgrade to the newer version which has the IR panel on the front. I did this recently, I think it was $9.00

I agree, a fantastic reverb

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ng-reverb/

Steedus
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2023

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
29 Jun 2023
I've grown to really like this Re. AFAIK, it's the only one of it's kind in the Reason shop. But, from the day it was released, I wished it had the IR selector on the front because I wanted to be able to have a knob on my combinator guitar fx chain/rig for easy browsing while jamming. I have things set up so that I can cycle through different amps/cabs, with knobs for gain, compression, reverb mix, etc, all in one place so that I don't have to go scrolling through the rack to adjust all these things while I'm in the zone. And while having to flip the rack around to change the IRs isn't a HUGE deal, it just seems unnecessary and does break my flow a bit because you must use the mouse, rather than just turning a knob on my midi controller.

So, I ended up buying a VST spring reverb unit, not just to have a variety of choices, but also because I can assign a combinator knob to cycle through all the different IRs. But I would have rather stayed within the Re ecosystem.

I still am going to keep using the spacexpander, because I love it. I think it's underrated too. But I sure do wish the IR selector was on the front. At one point on some thread, I did inquire about this, and Ekss responded with their reasoning behind doing it that way, which I believe was mostly about aesthetics, but I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, I still love this Re, but is there any chance Ekss you might consider making that change? Does anybody out there feel the same?
Yep it was initially because of aesthetics, but when the idea came up to release a paid version with more impulses and tube trim on the rear he managed to add selection on the front display panel.

Btw, what VST did you get? Audiothing's Springs is a great one for me.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2023

Steedus wrote:
30 Jun 2023
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
29 Jun 2023

Yep it was initially because of aesthetics, but when the idea came up to release a paid version with more impulses and tube trim on the rear he managed to add selection on the front display panel.

PSP springbox and necklace are my favourites.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Steedus
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2023

Actually in RE land, I use Ekss FX3180 Spring Reverb way more than SpaceXpander. But it's as simple/bare bones as they come. Just level and mix, that's it.

TheGodOfRainbows

30 Jun 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
30 Jun 2023
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
29 Jun 2023
I've grown to really like this Re. AFAIK, it's the only one of it's kind in the Reason shop. But, from the day it was released, I wished it had the IR selector on the front
You can upgrade to the newer version which has the IR panel on the front. I did this recently, I think it was $9.00

I agree, a fantastic reverb

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ng-reverb/
Weird. I don't see an option to upgrade to any newer version. Yes, I got it when it was $9, or was it free at first, and then the price when up to $9? I don't remember. Either way, all I see in the shop is the download button. I am confused.

TheGodOfRainbows

30 Jun 2023

Steedus wrote:
30 Jun 2023
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
29 Jun 2023

I am not seeing a newer or different version. I am baffled at the moment :? All I see is the download button in the shop.

Yeah I got the Audiothing Springs and it is excellent. BUT, I havent even had it for 10 hours, and I've already had some kind of Reason exception error! FRIGGIN VSTs!!!! I wasn't even surprised, because I also have some IK Multimedia plugins I got last year and more than one of them crashed WITHIN MINUTES of first use. Since then, I've just stayed away from them. So, a complete waste of money for me. I believe it was one of the T-Racks eqs and a dynamu compressor that were just buggy from the start. But I digress.

TheGodOfRainbows

30 Jun 2023

Steedus wrote:
30 Jun 2023
Actually in RE land, I use Ekss FX3180 Spring Reverb way more than SpaceXpander. But it's as simple/bare bones as they come. Just level and mix, that's it.
I almost got it, but I snoozed too long and missed the sale, plus I spent enough on other things (ES400 FM Synthesizer, Friktion, Efektor Bass Distortion Bundle, Transcendent 2000, Objekt).

So maybe I'll get in in the next sale. I really like Ekssperimental Sounds. I think all their stuff looks and sounds great. One of my favorite developers.

Auryn

30 Jun 2023

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
30 Jun 2023
Steedus wrote:
30 Jun 2023
I almost got it, but I snoozed too long and missed the sale, plus I spent enough on other things (ES400 FM Synthesizer, Friktion, Efektor Bass Distortion Bundle, Transcendent 2000, Objekt).

So maybe I'll get in in the next sale. I really like Ekssperimental Sounds. I think all their stuff looks and sounds great. One of my favorite developers.
SpaceXpander is one of my faves too, sometimes I'll dubplicate the output of Echoboy and send the duplicate to spacexpander for that extra spaciousness
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Arpeg
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2023

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
30 Jun 2023
Steedus wrote:
30 Jun 2023

I am not seeing a newer or different version. I am baffled at the moment :? All I see is the download button in the shop.

Yeah I got the Audiothing Springs and it is excellent. BUT, I havent even had it for 10 hours, and I've already had some kind of Reason exception error! FRIGGIN VSTs!!!! I wasn't even surprised, because I also have some IK Multimedia plugins I got last year and more than one of them crashed WITHIN MINUTES of first use. Since then, I've just stayed away from them. So, a complete waste of money for me. I believe it was one of the T-Racks eqs and a dynamu compressor that were just buggy from the start. But I digress.
Go to My Account, My Products, Rack Extensions and type SPACEXPANDER in search it should appear with an option to update

TheGodOfRainbows

02 Jul 2023

Auryn wrote:
30 Jun 2023

SpaceXpander is one of my faves too, sometimes I'll dubplicate the output of Echoboy and send the duplicate to spacexpander for that extra spaciousness
Auryn, you DO love your echos and delays. I remember. And in fact, you are partially the reason I have gotten more into delays in general. When you do that remix of my track, it became clear to me that I should be having more fun using them. :D

TheGodOfRainbows

02 Jul 2023

Arpeg wrote:
30 Jun 2023
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
30 Jun 2023
Go to My Account, My Products, Rack Extensions and type SPACEXPANDER in search it should appear with an option to update
Ok, I swear to you, I am still not seeing any option to update! I have the latest version! All I see is the download button; both on the product page, and in the My Products Rack Extension page.

And just to be clear here, are you guys saying that there IS actually a version that lets you change the IRs on the FRONT panel?! If so, then I can't imagine what is going on.

I mean, there is nothing mentioning this in the product description, nor is it reflected in the images on the product page that shows you can change IRs on the front. So.....I am nonplussed. What is happening to me!? :? :crazy:

Steedus
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2023

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
02 Jul 2023
Arpeg wrote:
30 Jun 2023

Ok, I swear to you, I am still not seeing any option to update! I have the latest version! All I see is the download button; both on the product page, and in the My Products Rack Extension page.

And just to be clear here, are you guys saying that there IS actually a version that lets you change the IRs on the FRONT panel?! If so, then I can't imagine what is going on.

I mean, there is nothing mentioning this in the product description, nor is it reflected in the images on the product page that shows you can change IRs on the front. So.....I am nonplussed. What is happening to me!? :? :crazy:
Maybe you have the update but don't realise. The option to change IRs on the front is rather stealthy. Do you see a letter on the left side of the patch name display?

That's where you change it. Just click and drag. There's not an obvious dropdown menu or anything.

Also, check the rear. Do you have a Tube Trim knob (screw type) on the bottom section on the right of the Tubes?

• Information