I want to recreate the instrument in the Blade blood rave scene

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
BulbousJones

08 Apr 2021

Hey all,

I'm still using my old purchased version of Reason 5 and I want to create an instrument almost exactly like the main hook in the Blade blood rave scene. Been searching through all the patches but can't seem to find something like it. If anyone could direct me to one or how to create something almost exactly like this I would really appreciate it.

New Order - Confusion Blade Soundrack Bloodbath Remix

Gracias

Loque

09 Apr 2021

It's a TB303 with some distortion on it. Since its a 303, it can only be a saw or square wave and here it is a saw.

The main secret is the right type of distortion and the melody. Often ppl just put a cheap guitar pedal on a 303.

Note, that the character of the sound changes drastically with EQ. I think you should add a HPF and mid EQ before the distortion.

Good luck.
Reason12, Win10

splitpen

09 Apr 2021

You can try this combi as a starting point. Used native devices (thor, scream, master eq and DDL), but don't now how the combi translates to reason 5...
Tweaking on the resonance of the filters and mix knob makes a a lot of a difference.
Attachments
Blade.zip
(1.68 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

splitpen

09 Apr 2021

Tweaked the patch a bit, also with the filter knob you can play a bit with the sound.. have fun!
Attachments
Blade v2.zip
(1.71 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

tbr263

09 Apr 2021

There's a preset called "SQ Blade DEV" in the "Seq & Arp" preset category of Spire VST (by Reveal Sound, I don't know if it's also included in ReSpire Rack Extension). It recreates the Blade theme pretty perfectly. You could install the demo version of Spire to learn about how the preset is made and then try to reproduce similiar settings with native Reason devices.

Billy+

09 Apr 2021

tbr263 wrote:
09 Apr 2021
There's a preset called "SQ Blade DEV" in the "Seq & Arp" preset category of Spire VST (by Reveal Sound, I don't know if it's also included in ReSpire Rack Extension). It recreates the Blade theme pretty perfectly. You could install the demo version of Spire to learn about how the preset is made and then try to reproduce similiar settings with native Reason devices.
You can also convert spire patches to respire repatches using the online converter or the latest version of spire :thumbs_up:

splitpen

09 Apr 2021

Rack extensions or vst weren't available in :reason: 5 from what i can remember
There's also one in the vst from Adam Szabo - Viper on the second bank.. if i'm right

Adabler
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2021

I found these two tutorials on how to recreate the 303 using the subtractor:

:reason: 12, Win10

STIM

09 Apr 2021

Because it annoys me how producers aren't properly credited, the correct title for the track is..

New Order - Confusion (Pump Panel Reconstruction mix).

nickb523
RE Developer

09 Apr 2021

This combi should get you somewhere in the ballpark -

Download here -
Bladed One.zip
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

raymondh

09 Apr 2021

That Confusion remix is such a classic track - really excellent!!

splitpen

10 Apr 2021

Also worth noticable that they used samplers a lot in those days.
If you sample a c3 or c2 and put it inside a nn19 / nnxt you get different results when playing in the higher scale like this song.

Heater

10 Apr 2021

I do love the chirp you get from a diode ladder filter.

joeyluck

10 Apr 2021

Here is an example with ABL3 :puf_smile:

I know the OP is only on Reason 5, but for others, ABL3 is the absolute best place to start IMO.

The rest is fine tuning the ABL3 settings and finding the right distortion and effects. I just used a Scream 4 followed by an RX950, The Echo, and RV7000 MkII. The drums I just threw in for fun are Rytmik.

Here is the Combinator patch:

If you have ABL3, feel free to make adjustments and post here :-)

nickb523
RE Developer

10 Apr 2021

joeyluck wrote:
10 Apr 2021
I know the OP is only on Reason 5
tyTc1Nl.jpg
tyTc1Nl.jpg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 4145 times

Sorry, but it had to be said! :lol:

Any ideas on interesting ways to achieve the same thing within the original parameters? (and a disappointing frown for the attention seeking use of maximization...)

joeyluck

10 Apr 2021

nickb523 wrote:
10 Apr 2021
joeyluck wrote:
10 Apr 2021
I know the OP is only on Reason 5
tyTc1Nl.jpg

Sorry, but it had to be said! :lol:

Any ideas on interesting ways to achieve the same thing within the original parameters? (and a disappointing frown for the attention seeking use of maximization...)
Lol yeah upgrade 😜 Or even just try Reason and try ABL3 for 30 days.

I just thought I'd offer the example and patch here because I had made it and it's still very relevant to the thread. I did acknowledge that the OP only has Reason 5 and it might not be of use to the OP, but the OP could maybe hit that try button on Reason and ABL3 to have a play.

Ans what do you mean by "attention seeking use of maximization?"

raymondh

10 Apr 2021

joeyluck wrote:
10 Apr 2021

I know the OP is only on Reason 5, but for others, ABL3 is the absolute best place to start IMO.

The rest is fine tuning the ABL3 settings and finding the right distortion and effects. I just used a Scream 4 followed by an RX950, The Echo, and RV7000 MkII. The drums I just threw in for fun are Rytmik.

Confusion (Pump Panel Reconstruction Mix) -JL.cmb.zip

You nailed it! Well done!

nickb523
RE Developer

11 Apr 2021

joeyluck wrote:
10 Apr 2021

Lol yeah upgrade 😜 Or even just try Reason and try ABL3 for 30 days.

I just thought I'd offer the example and patch here because I had made it and it's still very relevant to the thread. I did acknowledge that the OP only has Reason 5 and it might not be of use to the OP, but the OP could maybe hit that try button on Reason and ABL3 to have a play.

Ans what do you mean by "attention seeking use of maximization?"
The OP's question was how can this be achieved in Reason 5 with limited tools and you just ignored all that to show off ABL3.

OP - "How can I emulate the 303 type sound on that Blade track?"

Joey - "Buy a 303 emulator"

The "attention seeking use of maximization" was entirely just an observation. You added drums and made it really loud in order to sound more impressive. The OP is using Reason 5 alone so this is neither impressive nor helpful in the context of the original question, it's either you advertising ABL3 or just showing off. Granted, it's sounds great and almost bang on the original sound but that isn't particularly hard to achieve when you're using a device built for that very purpose.

Following your thinking the OP should just throw Reason 5 in the bin, buy a 303 and one of those Boss distortion pedals on ebay and call it day. ;)

joeyluck

11 Apr 2021

nickb523 wrote:
11 Apr 2021
The OP's question was how can this be achieved in Reason 5 with limited tools and you just ignored all that to show off ABL3.

OP - "How can I emulate the 303 type sound on that Blade track?"

Joey - "Buy a 303 emulator"

The "attention seeking use of maximization" was entirely just an observation. You added drums and made it really loud in order to sound more impressive. The OP is using Reason 5 alone so this is neither impressive nor helpful in the context of the original question, it's either you advertising ABL3 or just showing off. Granted, it's sounds great and almost bang on the original sound but that isn't particularly hard to achieve when you're using a device built for that very purpose.

Following your thinking the OP should just throw Reason 5 in the bin, buy a 303 and one of those Boss distortion pedals on ebay and call it day. ;)
I didn't try to make it really loud. All I used is what I said. I took the level down to make sure it wasn't clipping Reason's output and called it ok. Same with Rytmik. Just having fun.

I think it's good for everyone to know what tools are available. Like I said, I had the patch that I had made and it seemed very relevant to share it for those who want it. I'm certainly not showing off. This isn't a challenge.

Yeah I've heard every attempt at a 303 emulation from plugins to user made patches. Many people always frame it as being simple and it really is not. ABL3 is the best one I have ever heard and it's regarded as the best by most and it's available as RE and VST, etc. And no, I'm not strongly suggesting it for the OP, but it should still be pointed out. It's still in the realm of software and Reason—and ABL3 was a RE first before other formats. I had acknowledged it wouldn't be the answer if on R5 and just shared it for those who could use it in a very relevant thread.

deeplink
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2021

Here's a version of it done with Combinator and Thor (Reason 5 friendly), comes with the melody embed in the Thor

WeTransfer Link: https://we.tl/t-7mjlZqsbbo
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Billy+

11 Apr 2021

tbr263 wrote:
09 Apr 2021
If your interested and run spire / respire checkout Classic_Dance_Remake_Sounds_For_Spire

36. ...public domain... operation blade (bass)
37. ...public domain... operation blade (seq)
38. ...public domain... operation blade (acid)

Found the pattern if it helps...
IMG_2647.JPG
IMG_2647.JPG (117.9 KiB) Viewed 3995 times

Billy+

11 Apr 2021

My brother said he doesn't think the original used a 303 and I did a bit of searching and found an example using the MC-202 as he suggested:-

Enjoy...

Loque

11 Apr 2021

joeyluck wrote:
10 Apr 2021

Confusion (Pump Panel Reconstruction Mix) -JL.cmb.zip

Nailed :clap:
Reason12, Win10

• Information