I think the current limitations to the Combinator, are the following;
- 1. Limited knobs and buttons
2. Can't be contained in the Insert Section
3. Limited feedback to value of the assign parameter - especially in cases of Stepped values
4. Inconsistent and Incorrect value parameters in the programmer
5. Limited programmable slots
6. [How do you feel limited, that's not on this list?]
- 1. When combining effects, the combinator immediately gets a midi channel and midi focus - I hope this changes.
2. Drag and Drop assignment / Right-click Add Assignment
3. Dedicated dry/wet and volume knobs
4. If more Programmer slots -> mouse-wheel Scrollable Programmer
5. [Any other general improvements?]
- 1. Add option to dedicate one device from within the combinator to be locked and displayed to the below the front panel. This could circumvent the need for more 'built in' macros and programmer slots, create some interesting looking combinators, and RE CV devices could act as Macro-Expanders.
2. A utility or API change to allow for the stacking of all devices (incl. combinators and mix channels) in one unit. This can then be saved and recalled as a normal patch - therefore creating a way to save mix channel routings and settings. Could even be display as a Track Folder within the sequencer and Main Mixer.
3. Ableton-like Macro Snapshots, a step further would be make the snapshots automatable and morphable
4. [Any other out-the-box ideas?]
I think an upgrade to the existing combinator should and could tackle a few of the above points.
If RS came out with an entirely new device, I think it would make the existing .cmb patches redundant. Unless its compatible with the .cmb format.