Reason 10.4 on Big Sur (Intel not M1)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dvdrtldg

04 Apr 2021

Is anyone running Reason 10.4 on Big Sur (Intel, not M1 chip)? I know it's not officially supported, but can anyone confirm that it works OK?

Billy+

05 Apr 2021

Install it and report back.

integerpoet

05 Apr 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
04 Apr 2021
Is anyone running Reason 10.4 on Big Sur (Intel, not M1 chip)? I know it's not officially supported, but can anyone confirm that it works OK?
It appears RS have three categories of compatibility:
  • compatible
  • untested
  • incompatible
When you say "not officially supported", it sounds to me as if you're hoping it falls into the second category.

But it doesn't; it falls into the third category, which sounds to me as if RS has tested it and identified significant problems.

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

More details:

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... -statement

dvdrtldg

06 Apr 2021

integerpoet wrote:
05 Apr 2021
It appears RS have three categories of compatibility:
  • compatible
  • untested
  • incompatible
When you say "not officially supported", it sounds to me as if you're hoping it falls into the second category.

But it doesn't; it falls into the third category, which sounds to me as if RS has tested it and identified significant problems.

I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Yeah I think you're right. Oh well. I have to buy a new MacBook soon, might leave it until next month and then hopefully pick up a cheap May Madness upgrade to Reason 11 on the new machine

I'm running older versions of quite a lot of stuff, figured out that at regular prices, upgrading all my music software for Big Sur compatibility would set me back at least about $850

boomer

06 Apr 2021

There have been a few posts both here and on Reddit that say they are sucessful using 10.4 on Big Sur. Search “reason 10 Big Sur”

Nerveclinic

07 Jul 2021

boomer wrote:
06 Apr 2021
There have been a few posts both here and on Reddit that say they are sucessful using 10.4 on Big Sur. Search “reason 10 Big Sur”
What about with M1 chip though?

irongiant14

29 Sep 2021

Ugh... I wasn't aware it wasn't officially supported but upgraded to Big Sur when I had to rebuild my mid-2016 MacBookPro. It's working but with issues, for me.

1. Track wave form graphics are not displaying properly.
2. I just had something weird happen in Comp Editor where I lost some work.

Not local to Reason but my Clarette 4Pro Thunderbolt interface doesn't always reappear when it's been turned off, without reboot.
Same with my Axion 25 MIDI controller.

That's "Progress". I wish I had the means to keep legacy systems around.

• Information