What are your top five devices at the moment?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jagwah

04 Apr 2021

Been a while since we had one of these, a bit of fun and they can be surprisingly informative too.

Figured I would open it right up this time:

What are your top five devices at the moment (Stock, RE, VST etc, softwares, hardwares, What Have You)?

Feel free to add some comments about your choices. :puf_bigsmile:

Jagwah

04 Apr 2021

1) Algoritm - pretty much speaks for itself now, plus it's still very new and exciting.

2) Subtractor - my go to for basic sounds and also cool basslines.

3) Echobode - Going back to this one recently the stock patches easily bring life to things.

4) Kong - coupled with JP's Kings of Kong Refill <3

5) the ANIMUS - JP's shimmer verb, had a really good time with it lately and it performs very well.

Bes
Competition Winner

04 Apr 2021

the combinator? feel like i'm wasting a slot here but still, no matter what i'm building i start with a combi

CV Origami by TonicMint
Melodramatik by Enlightenspeed
Kompulsion by Lectric Panda
SineSynth by Ekssperimental Sounds
- Certified Reason expert

challism

05 Apr 2021

I've really been into combining and spidering the player devices lately. The instruments and FX change, but these five players seem to find their way into all my projects, these days.

Robotic Bean - Sequences
Robotic Bean - Euclidean
Static Cling - AutoLatch
Static Cling - Delta MIDI Computer
Love One - MIDI CV Converter
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Aosta

05 Apr 2021

1. Antidote

2. Echobode

3. Europa

4. Beatmap

5. DR-1
Tend the flame

lowtom

05 Apr 2021

1. Combinator - it all starts in this one, all of my sequences are build in Combinator and saved as a patch.
2. Microtonic - all my drums are synthesised in this machine.
3. Sequences - I record most of my sequences in this one.
4. Thor - all in one, the god of synths.
5. The Legend - recently my go to bass source.
:reason: :refill: :re:

zoidkirb

05 Apr 2021

Europa
OkenK Microtune
Autosub
Kron
Anmo1200 (mainly as synth)

mcatalao
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2021

Combinator - a good deal of sounds still come from it, and my favorite pianos are still from the Reason Pianos Refill (with nn-xt, of course)
Reason DrumKit Re (very well ported, great sound, great design)
Reason Elecric Bass Re (same as previous)
Kuassa MP5 (amazing eq, a fraction of the price of the one that does more or less the same thing and it's blue)
Friktion (this thing is great and it sounds SOOOO natural with my ewi!)

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2021

Mostly vst's for me but my top 5 are:

Vital - I just love making patches in this due to the modulation options, speed of workflow and for those times I dont feel like working on my songs doodling with this creating pads, arpeggio etc brings new ideas for other songs.

Phaseplant - very much like the above but with the added wormhole of using multipass etc.

Diva - I just love how it sounds and seem to use it on every track in some form.

Reason rack ssl bus compressor - true workhorse used on every track many times. Used on most of my groups and often just with minimal gain reduction.

Gullfoss - really like what this plugin does on either individual tracks or on master bus. I find using the settings in moderation brings good results.

Seckin

05 Apr 2021

1. Kong

Every drum/percussion element gets its own Kong (and mixer channel, obviously) and the respective Kongs are named accordingly. For instance, Kong 1 is named Kick Drums. Kong 2 is Snares. Can layer sounds in a very convenient way. All Kongs routed to the [DRUMS] bus. I've found this to be the best method for me to work with drums.

2. Europa

I love Europa.

3. Vital

An amazing freeware synthesizer. I've been playing with it recently and I love it.

Can think of these three right now.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

Jagwah

05 Apr 2021

challism wrote:
05 Apr 2021
I've really been into combining and spidering the player devices lately. The instruments and FX change, but these five players seem to find their way into all my projects, these days.

Robotic Bean - Sequences
Robotic Bean - Euclidean
Static Cling - AutoLatch
Static Cling - Delta MIDI Computer
Love One - MIDI CV Converter
I really don't use the Players much, can you give me a basic example of how you would combine them with spiders as I am not aware of anything like this?

Jagwah

05 Apr 2021

Seckin wrote:
05 Apr 2021
1. Kong

Every drum/percussion element gets its own Kong (and mixer channel, obviously) and the respective Kongs are named accordingly. For instance, Kong 1 is named Kick Drums. Kong 2 is Snares. Can layer sounds in a very convenient way. All Kongs routed to the [DRUMS] bus. I've found this to be the best method for me to work with drums.

2. Europa

I love Europa.

3. Vital

An amazing freeware synthesizer. I've been playing with it recently and I love it.

Can think of these three right now.
Yeah I really like having one Kong dedicated to one element like a snare, I love how we have the flexibility to do that with their own effects chain and lay them out horizontally if we want.

There you go I learnt something - I saw a lot of Vital videos coming up on Youtube but never looked at any of them - I had no idea it was free, cheers for sharing your thoughts!

Mint

05 Apr 2021

Dr. Octo
Beat Map
KONG
Layers [Nobody ever talks about this thing...Best synth I've come across for pads etc]
ADSR Good for stumbling on sounds you forgot you had and the ability to match browsing audio files with project tempo - on-the-fly.

Rising Night Wave

05 Apr 2021

my top 5 devices at the moment are (in no particular order):
- KONG Drum Sequencer
- Matrix Pattern Sequencer
- UMPF Club Drums
- Drum Sequencer
- Polar Dual Pitch Shifter
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

dioxide

05 Apr 2021

1. Redrum. All individual drum sounds are nested in Combinators and triggered by a Redrum mapped to a MIDI controller. So far there isn't a Player better than Redrum. The extended Remote control is essential and most drum devices lack this.

2. Le Note MIDI Receive. I use this to toggle MIDI sequences on and off. Simple but essential.

3. Peff Directre. I use this to control the Le Note MIDI receive via CV. Directre can time the changes to the bar, so I use this to toggle sequences on and off, a bit like a Launchpad. This paired with Le Note is the closest I've come to having a clip launcher and I love how it works.

4. Thor. Despite having many more synths, most of my sequences and patches are Thor patches and I know my way around this synth more than any other.

5. Matrix. I have Sequences and I'm starting to use it, but Matrix is still by go to sequencer, despite its limitations. I've been using Sequences more recently and I could see this taking over from Matrix in the long run.

dvdrtldg

05 Apr 2021

Only five... ? hmmmm

Blamsoft VK2
Soundtoys Echoboy
Lectric Panda Kompulsion
Lectric Panda CV Player Tap
Waves Abbey Rd TG Mastering Chain

lowtom

05 Apr 2021

dioxide wrote:
05 Apr 2021
1. Redrum. All individual drum sounds are nested in Combinators and triggered by a Redrum mapped to a MIDI controller. So far there isn't a Player better than Redrum. The extended Remote control is essential and most drum devices lack this.
Same here. I use ReDrum with my custom Xone K1 Remote script. Have not found anything else better for sequencing drums.
I trigger 4 individual instances of Microtonic in my setup.

dioxide wrote:
05 Apr 2021
2. Le Note MIDI Receive. I use this to toggle MIDI sequences on and off. Simple but essential.

3. Peff Directre. I use this to control the Le Note MIDI receive via CV. Directre can time the changes to the bar, so I use this to toggle sequences on and off, a bit like a Launchpad. This paired with Le Note is the closest I've come to having a clip launcher and I love how it works.
I use RB Select CV Switch for that purpose. This way I have all in one CV router and quantised on/off switch.
Still would love to have a CV device with 8 quantised on/off switches with smallest possible rack size.
:reason: :refill: :re:

Jackjackdaw

05 Apr 2021

Complex-1 , I have experimented with lots of other virtual modulars and this is my absolute favorite. Coming back to it after a while

Decimort 2 , I like to use it on the input of a NN19. It lives in my template for retro sampling.

Kuassa EVE Eq.

The new spring verb from ekssprimental is very nice.

Pulverizer, my all time favorite for punch and grit. Probably my most used device in RRP.

dioxide

05 Apr 2021

lowtom wrote:
05 Apr 2021
I use ReDrum with my custom Xone K1 Remote script. Have not found anything else better for sequencing drums.
That's interesting, I use a NI Traktor F1 with custom Remote maps. It has knobs instead of rotaries but it's similar and I've considered getting one. Did you have to write your own Remote codecs?

WOO

05 Apr 2021

Wedge force matcha, reason bass, steven slate drums, dune 3 and synthmaster 2.

PhillipOrdonez

05 Apr 2021

Tough one!

Sequences
Pistons
Selig colouring EQ
Monotone
The new 6 channel mixer from ekss

demt

05 Apr 2021

Reasons bass synth ,Kong nektar aura groovebox ,clouds eurorack module ,neutron desktop semi modular synth and pitsburgh lifeforms microsequencer.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2021

Right now some favorites are:

Algoritm
Scenic
FRG-4RE
Fritz
Evolution

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2021

My most used devices with some up and coming ones :)

Aquila

05 Apr 2021

-Antidote
-Polysix
-Kong
-GQ7
-Saturation Knob

at least 75% of all my tunes incorporate these devices

• Information