Anyone got a i7-10750H cpu system

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2904
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 28 Mar 2021

So I'm looking at getting a new laptop for Reason and other stuff but I'm always put off by the current processor speed specs so I'm after real world information from anyone else who is using this cpu.

It says 6 cores with 12 threads running at a maximum speed of 5Ghz with 12Mb cache but it runs at 2.6Ghz by default and from what I've read you press a function key to have it run at 5Ghz which on paper sounds enough but I'm sceptical....
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
miyaru
Posts: 250
Joined: 28 Oct 2019
Location: Zaanstad, The Netherlands

Post 29 Mar 2021

Keep in mind when it runs full flat out, the fan will kick in in an unpleasent way..... That's why I prefer well build desktops with silent cooling.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason Suite 11, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Rob Papen's Predator 2, Sonarworks Reference 4.

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2904
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 29 Mar 2021

miyaru wrote:
29 Mar 2021
Keep in mind when it runs full flat out, the fan will kick in in an unpleasent way..... That's why I prefer well build desktops with silent cooling.
Thanks for that, I hadn't considered the level of noise produced and after a bit of research it's definitely on the high side when running at full speed which definitely reduces its usefulness when using a microphone.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
fullforce
Posts: 545
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 02 Apr 2021

Billy+ wrote:
28 Mar 2021
So I'm looking at getting a new laptop for Reason and other stuff but I'm always put off by the current processor speed specs so I'm after real world information from anyone else who is using this cpu.

It says 6 cores with 12 threads running at a maximum speed of 5Ghz with 12Mb cache but it runs at 2.6Ghz by default and from what I've read you press a function key to have it run at 5Ghz which on paper sounds enough but I'm sceptical....
Get a Ryzen.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2904
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 02 Apr 2021

fullforce wrote:
02 Apr 2021
Billy+ wrote:
28 Mar 2021
So I'm looking at getting a new laptop for Reason and other stuff but I'm always put off by the current processor speed specs so I'm after real world information from anyone else who is using this cpu.

It says 6 cores with 12 threads running at a maximum speed of 5Ghz with 12Mb cache but it runs at 2.6Ghz by default and from what I've read you press a function key to have it run at 5Ghz which on paper sounds enough but I'm sceptical....
Get a Ryzen.
Why?
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2634
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 02 Apr 2021

5Ghz. Nice. But for how long, and without interruption? This is what you need to find out.
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
fullforce
Posts: 545
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 04 Apr 2021

Billy+ wrote:
02 Apr 2021
fullforce wrote:
02 Apr 2021


Get a Ryzen.
Why?
Cheaper, faster, uses less energy.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2904
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 04 Apr 2021

fullforce wrote:
04 Apr 2021
Cheaper, faster, uses less energy.
Well after a bit of hunting I found the equivalent AMD based device
Intel wrote:10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10750H
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6
AMD wrote:AMD Ryzen™ 7 4800H
AMD Radeon™ RX 5600M 6GB GDDR6
The price is really not any different, I'm guessing the fan noise also isn't going to be any different the single core speed of intel is quicker but the base speed of the amd is quicker.

So what GPU would you choose, I'm not worried about gaming but I would like to run the occasional stream / recording.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2634
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 04 Apr 2021

Your timing for building a brand new PC right now is not optimal, to say the least.
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2904
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 04 Apr 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
04 Apr 2021
Your timing for building a brand new PC right now is not optimal, to say the least.
I'm not after a pc, it's a laptop. What's wrong with the timing?
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2634
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 04 Apr 2021

Billy+ wrote:
04 Apr 2021
bxbrkrz wrote:
04 Apr 2021
Your timing for building a brand new PC right now is not optimal, to say the least.
I'm not after a pc, it's a laptop. What's wrong with the timing?
Scalpers for pc parts worldwide.
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

ortxedys
Posts: 45
Joined: 02 Nov 2018

Post 04 Apr 2021

The laptop I bought has this same processor. Like it was stated above, it does this weird throttling (depending on the DAW) where it realizes it has a heavier load and "performance" mode kicks in. It causes dropouts while it does that. You can tell by the fan getting pretty loud. It's a decent laptop for gaming. I went for it more because it was good deal at the time and the specs are amazing on paper.

There are ways (software side) to make the processors work better. A route I haven't taken simply because I feel its adequate for my needs. I do a lot of bouncing in my music by nature. But this can handle the heavier loads for sure. It works but it has its quirks.

I would build something if I were you. But at the same time, for a laptop, it could be worse. I too was put off by some of the reviews. Make sure you buy it from a reputable dealer if doing so. It's more of a foldable desktop. What I mean by this is, you don't want to put this on your lap while making music or doing anything that is taxing on the PC. It has to have room to breath.

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2904
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 04 Apr 2021

ortxedys wrote:
04 Apr 2021
The laptop I bought has this same processor. Like it was stated above, it does this weird throttling (depending on the DAW) where it realizes it has a heavier load and "performance" mode kicks in. It causes dropouts while it does that. You can tell by the fan getting pretty loud. It's a decent laptop for gaming. I went for it more because it was good deal at the time and the specs are amazing on paper.

There are ways (software side) to make the processors work better. A route I haven't taken simply because I feel its adequate for my needs. I do a lot of bouncing in my music by nature. But this can handle the heavier loads for sure. It works but it has its quirks.

I would build something if I were you. But at the same time, for a laptop, it could be worse. I too was put off by some of the reviews. Make sure you buy it from a reputable dealer if doing so. It's more of a foldable desktop. What I mean by this is, you don't want to put this on your lap while making music or doing anything that is taxing on the PC. It has to have room to breath.
You say you get dropouts!

Is that when the system goes into boost mode?
Does it stabilise? (Work as expected once up to speed)

Are you running an ssd or hdd?
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

ortxedys
Posts: 45
Joined: 02 Nov 2018

Post 04 Apr 2021

Billy+ wrote:
04 Apr 2021
ortxedys wrote:
04 Apr 2021
The laptop I bought has this same processor. Like it was stated above, it does this weird throttling (depending on the DAW) where it realizes it has a heavier load and "performance" mode kicks in. It causes dropouts while it does that. You can tell by the fan getting pretty loud. It's a decent laptop for gaming. I went for it more because it was good deal at the time and the specs are amazing on paper.

There are ways (software side) to make the processors work better. A route I haven't taken simply because I feel its adequate for my needs. I do a lot of bouncing in my music by nature. But this can handle the heavier loads for sure. It works but it has its quirks.

I would build something if I were you. But at the same time, for a laptop, it could be worse. I too was put off by some of the reviews. Make sure you buy it from a reputable dealer if doing so. It's more of a foldable desktop. What I mean by this is, you don't want to put this on your lap while making music or doing anything that is taxing on the PC. It has to have room to breath.
You say you get dropouts!

Is that when the system goes into boost mode?
Does it stabilise? (Work as expected once up to speed)

Are you running an ssd or hdd?
Yea I mostly get dropouts while it goes into "boost" mode for a few seconds and then it stabilizes. The power is there, it just doesnt run efficiently in the laptop form. Also to be clear, what I mean by adjusting the cpu in software I mean "undervolting". It's something I dont know enough about, but apparently people have gotten cooler temps that way. Again, if you want power that runs efficiently, build a desktop. A laptop will always have issues cooling. Though, it doesn't get as hot while producing compared to gaming.

Also, you're probably going to want to record in the closet or in another room because the fan can get loud. Again, not an issue when I mostly use headphones and don't record a whole lot. What might work for me may not work you.

I only run SSD's. If you want speed and reliability, only use SSD.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests