The Evergoing entropy regarding the CPU use of our computers

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Heigen5

03 Apr 2021

EnochLight wrote:
03 Apr 2021
What it won’t do:

- have any affect on your CPU performance or programs that utilize your CPU
So basically I'd be able to load Reason project more fast, but the CPU per channels would still eat as much CPU?

integerpoet

03 Apr 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
03 Apr 2021
EnochLight wrote:
03 Apr 2021
What it won’t do:
So basically I'd be able to load Reason project more fast, but the CPU per channels would still eat as much CPU?
Yes, but overall performance in a real-world app such as Reason isn't ever purely a matter of CPU. Reason's job is far more complicated than simply consuming CPU for the sake of consuming CPU (as a CPU benchmark program would do). An SSD won't reduce the absolute amount of CPU Reason needs for a given project, but it will reduce the amount of time Reason must wait for the disk, which means your project can be larger and/or more complex (in some ways) before you start experiencing problems. And in the case of an app like Reason that's most if not all of the performance one cares about. I mean, it's nice if exporting happens as fast as possible, but the performance you really care about is while you're editing, and that all happens in real-time, and what matters is whether that's possible, right? And having a fast disk helps with that.

To make this a bit more experientially concrete, hover over the little DISK OVERLOAD indicator near the bottom right of the transport bar and after a couple of seconds you'll see "Lights up when the program cannot read from the disk fast enough." Have you ever seen this indicator light up? I've not only seen it light up but I've seen Reason become so cranky about an overloaded disk that it threw up its hands and refused to continue. Having a fast disk makes this less likely/frequent. I don't know how commonly folks experience this problem; the only time I vaguely remember hitting it recently was possibly when I accidentally opened a large project I had backed up onto a network volume. But then I've been SSD-based for years.
Last edited by integerpoet on 03 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

03 Apr 2021

Replacing a hdd with a ssd will have no impact with cpu load.

If your maxing out your cpu due to a realtime synth plugin you can bounce the audio and remove the synth, that will free cpu resources but will increase your ram a disk requirements and an ssd is quicker than a hdd so you will gain disk read performance from an ssd over the hdd but if you don't have enough ram your still going to get issues as the data needs a home.

There is no one size fits all solution.

EnochLight

04 Apr 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
03 Apr 2021
EnochLight wrote:
03 Apr 2021
What it won’t do:

Correct. Though as it has been pointed out, your system will “feel” faster due to the aforementioned improved launch speeds of programs and your OS, etc. Still a nice bonus.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

fullforce

04 Apr 2021

EnochLight wrote:
04 Apr 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
03 Apr 2021

Correct. Though as it has been pointed out, your system will “feel” faster due to the aforementioned improved launch speeds of programs and your OS, etc. Still a nice bonus.
Yes. It feels faster. You know why? Because it IS faster, MUCH faster. :puf_bigsmile:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

EnochLight

04 Apr 2021

fullforce wrote:
04 Apr 2021
Yes. It feels faster. You know why? Because it IS faster, MUCH faster. :puf_bigsmile:
:lol: :clap:

Sure, especially if you're upgrading from a stock cheapo mechanical HDD. I upgraded to an SSD from twin 10,000 RPM WD Raptor drives ran in RAID-0, so the improvement wasn't as pronounced (although still noticeable).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

fullforce

08 Apr 2021

EnochLight wrote:
04 Apr 2021
fullforce wrote:
04 Apr 2021
:lol: :clap:

Sure, especially if you're upgrading from a stock cheapo mechanical HDD. I upgraded to an SSD from twin 10,000 RPM WD Raptor drives ran in RAID-0, so the improvement wasn't as pronounced (although still noticeable).
Well, you could have upgraded to raid-0 SSD. :D
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

EnochLight

08 Apr 2021

fullforce wrote:
08 Apr 2021
Heheh, naaa - it's fast enough for my needs. Right now my biggest bottleneck is my aging CPU (which is approaching 9 years old). I've never had a cpu this long, but damn this thing just keeps on going LOL!

fullforce

12 Apr 2021

EnochLight wrote:
08 Apr 2021
fullforce wrote:
08 Apr 2021
Heheh, naaa - it's fast enough for my needs. Right now my biggest bottleneck is my aging CPU (which is approaching 9 years old). I've never had a cpu this long, but damn this thing just keeps on going LOL!
That's what you get when you spend premium on a CPU. You get to use it for a long time. :D

EnochLight

12 Apr 2021

fullforce wrote:
12 Apr 2021
That's what you get when you spend premium on a CPU. You get to use it for a long time. :D
The crazy part is: it wasn't really that much more expensive than the slightly slower options I was considering at the time, and certainly wasn't the fastest available. I just felt it was a great middle ground as far as "bang for buck". Clearly I wasn't wrong (for my needs anyway). :clap:

• Information