81%

Total votes: 81
svenh

04 Apr 2021

DaveyG wrote:
04 Apr 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
04 Apr 2021

There's quotes from RS staff saying both R12 and the Hd update are on the way sometime this year. I can't remember the specifics but that's the gist of it.
I don't think they have ever specifically linked the two things so it is possible (but unlikely) that HD will be a point release of R11. I guess it's also possible that HD won't be ready in time for the R12 release and will follow along later but, yes, the most likely is that it will be a headline feature of R12 "later this year". I'm going to be sad if the biggest new thing in R12 is HD graphics. :puf_unhappy:
Sounds interesting, thanks for the info zoidkirb and DaveyG!

zoidkirb

04 Apr 2021

DaveyG wrote:
04 Apr 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
04 Apr 2021

There's quotes from RS staff saying both R12 and the Hd update are on the way sometime this year. I can't remember the specifics but that's the gist of it.
I don't think they have ever specifically linked the two things so it is possible (but unlikely) that HD will be a point release of R11. I guess it's also possible that HD won't be ready in time for the R12 release and will follow along later but, yes, the most likely is that it will be a headline feature of R12 "later this year". I'm going to be sad if the biggest new thing in R12 is HD graphics. :puf_unhappy:
I found the quote I was thinking of:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/what ... for-reason

So read in to that what you will.
You may be disappointed, but then, are the majority ever happy with new Reason versions? Not from what I've seen TBH.

I for one will be happy I think but that's because I'm coming up from 10.4 I'll be jumping 2 whole versions at once.

Jackjackdaw

04 Apr 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
03 Apr 2021
Billy+ wrote:
03 Apr 2021

I have that issue with a number of vst devices I've trailed in Reason and I hope R12 brings a lot more than better graphics for the plugin else it won't be on my purchase list, I will just switch DAW's
Yes, a lot of VST's are small too. The Steinberg instruments are a particular annoyance to me for example.
Have you updated your Steinberg instruments to the latest versions? When I updated to Cubase 11 and started using HiDPI mode, all the S.berg instruments were tiny until I updated them. The download manager doesn't make it very obvious if updates are available.

DaveyG

04 Apr 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
04 Apr 2021
DaveyG wrote:
04 Apr 2021

You may be disappointed, but then, are the majority ever happy with new Reason versions? Not from what I've seen TBH.

I for one will be happy I think but that's because I'm coming up from 10.4 I'll be jumping 2 whole versions at once.
I stand corrected. I had not seen that blog and it is plainly stated in there: "In fact, we're currently working hard on the next big Reason upgrade for release later this year which will include the mythical hi-res update and many other really exciting features". And don't misunderstand me. I do really want HD. I just don't want it to be the main feature of the new release. I want it to be the 4th or 5th bullet point and utterly eclipsed by other new stuff!

svenh

04 Apr 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
04 Apr 2021
DaveyG wrote:
04 Apr 2021

That was very interesting to read, I will definitely chekout the release later this year!

Thanks for the link!

zoidkirb

04 Apr 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
04 Apr 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
03 Apr 2021

Yes, a lot of VST's are small too. The Steinberg instruments are a particular annoyance to me for example.
Have you updated your Steinberg instruments to the latest versions? When I updated to Cubase 11 and started using HiDPI mode, all the S.berg instruments were tiny until I updated them. The download manager doesn't make it very obvious if updates are available.
Not updated them this year. They run fine in Cubase, maybe a little fiddly but at least I can expand their outer Windows. But for whatever reason, in Reason and Live the aspect ratio is locked.

svenh

04 Apr 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
04 Apr 2021
DaveyG wrote:
04 Apr 2021

That was very interesting to read, I will definitely chekout the release later this year!

Thanks for the link!

challism

05 Apr 2021

Thor and every device in the Reason rack are already VSTs (of sorts) via the RRP. They are essentially VST3s, just wrapped up in a neat Reason rack.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

DaveyG

05 Apr 2021

challism wrote:
05 Apr 2021
Thor and every device in the Reason rack are already VSTs (of sorts) via the RRP. They are essentially VST3s, just wrapped up in a neat Reason rack.
That's uttter nonsense mate. The VST is pretty much the whole Reason program running like it always did. And the RRP rack would be a whole lot neater if I could resize it to get rid of the large black void when there are only one or two devices in it.

challism

05 Apr 2021

DaveyG wrote:
05 Apr 2021
challism wrote:
05 Apr 2021
That's uttter nonsense mate. The VST is pretty much the whole Reason program running like it always did. And the RRP rack would be a whole lot neater if I could resize it to get rid of the large black void when there are only one or two devices in it.
Hence the inclusion of the words "of sorts" and "essentially" in my post. It requires a bit of optimism and imagination to see what I'm saying, and not get hung up in the semantics. So is the glass half empty or half full?

And the RRP is a VST3, so I'm not sure how this is "utter nonsense."

DaveyG

05 Apr 2021

challism wrote:
05 Apr 2021
DaveyG wrote:
05 Apr 2021

Hence the inclusion of the words "of sorts" and "essentially" in my post. It requires a bit of optimism and imagination to see what I'm saying, and not get hung up in the semantics. So is the glass half empty or half full?

It's like claiming that Reason is a Linux program because it can sort of run on Wine. We've already established that you can run many instances of RRP each with one RE in it but it is not reasonable to claim that "Thor and every device in the Reason rack are already VSTs", even if you add "of sorts". I can speak fluent French. of sorts, as long as I have an interpreter with me.

Seriously, take off your rose-tinted spectacles.

challism

05 Apr 2021

DaveyG wrote:
05 Apr 2021
challism wrote:
05 Apr 2021

It's like claiming that Reason is a Linux program because it can sort of run on Wine. We've already established that you can run many instances of RRP each with one RE in it but it is not reasonable to claim that "Thor and every device in the Reason rack are already VSTs", even if you add "of sorts". I can speak fluent French. of sorts, as long as I have an interpreter with me.

Seriously, take off your rose-tinted spectacles.
Except, RRP doesn't "sort of" run; IT DOES RUN. And it installs, and is loaded into other DAWs, as a VST. It is a VST plugin, like it or not.

I'm not interested in a back and forth dialog with you, Davey. We can disagree, that's fine. I probably won't respond to your next comment, so you can go ahead and have the last word.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (45.09 KiB) Viewed 2905 times

QVprod

05 Apr 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Apr 2021
QVprod wrote:
03 Apr 2021
There may be a nice work around for this. I can do it in studio one, not sure about Ableton. Load Thor in the Reason Rack Plugin and then save that as a preset (within the DAW not Reason). I think in Ableton you can do that as an instrument rack. That eliminates you having to drag Thor into the rack each time.
No need for instrument rack, you can just save the plug-in instance as a preset in live.
Even better!

raymondh

06 Apr 2021

DaveyG wrote:
03 Apr 2021
sdst wrote:
03 Apr 2021
I thought that the plugin was that, a vst.

Reason 11 comes with a vst plugin
Well, yeah, obviously. But that's not the same as having each synth, player and effect as a separate VST. I quite often have 5 or 6 instances of the Reason plugin in a project with each instance containing just one item, usually a player or a synth. It works fine and the CPU usage is OK but it's just not ideal from a screen usage viewpoint, especially as you can't resize the rack to make it smaller. Well, you can but it pings back to the original size.

I still think RS could make some easy money if they sold more stuff as VST too, but the fact that they tried it with Europa might say otherwise.
I agree. Or they found some way to expose Reason devices as VSTs even if they have to open up in the RRP.

I created a post in the feature request forum for this.

In terms of Thor as a VST, I haven't yet found a desire to create a RRP track just to open a Thor. Not a go-to synth for me. What I do reach for all the time is a Synapse Antidote - which has IMO struck the perfect balance of accessibility/ease of programming + fantastic sound. I reach for it more than my expensive Dune 3 VST!

Jackjackdaw

06 Apr 2021

I would probably have preferred flagship Reason devices available as seperate VSTs (and free to Reason and Re owners obvs) than the RRP. The RRP introduces certain expectations that so far RS have failed to deliver on.

I don't think Thor alone could stand up against the newer VST beasts such as Dune 3 , Pigments etc.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

06 Apr 2021

IMO, if you want reason devices as vst's you don't get the modular and hybrid approach of reason, plus the combinator, plus routing, plus modulation, and so on.

10 years ago I had songs with sound as good as today because I got a lot of refills where the devs explored the full potential of the combinator and reason's devices, audio and CV routing. Thor might sound dull and seem limited against Dune and other Synths, but put it inside a combi, use it as source for something "bigger" and pass it through reverb, delay, distortion and comp, modulate it to it's tears with external cv's, arpeggiate it, and you can see how each and every single reason device can be used as a building block of something with way lots of potential than Dune, or whatever synth you can remember of.

That's why RRP exists, because you can bring this limitless "modularity" to your favorite daw. That's why the RRP has much more value than havving Thor, or any other reason device as a VST.

svenh

07 Apr 2021

Thanks to all who participated in the Poll and for the discussion too that gave me a bit more information. :thumbup:

I guess the short summary would be that there are no plans to release any Reason plugins as VSTs and there is probably no commersial reason to do it with Thor anyway, but I will remember to watch the announcement of R12 later this year! :puf_smile:

SebAudio

10 Apr 2021

mcatalao wrote:
06 Apr 2021
IMO, if you want reason devices as vst's you don't get the modular and hybrid approach of reason, plus the combinator, plus routing, plus modulation, and so on.

10 years ago I had songs with sound as good as today because I got a lot of refills where the devs explored the full potential of the combinator and reason's devices, audio and CV routing. Thor might sound dull and seem limited against Dune and other Synths, but put it inside a combi, use it as source for something "bigger" and pass it through reverb, delay, distortion and comp, modulate it to it's tears with external cv's, arpeggiate it, and you can see how each and every single reason device can be used as a building block of something with way lots of potential than Dune, or whatever synth you can remember of.

That's why RRP exists, because you can bring this limitless "modularity" to your favorite daw. That's why the RRP has much more value than havving Thor, or any other reason device as a VST.
I agree and enjoy the up-scaling of Reason synths when put inside a combinator. But I think that most people prefer great sounding synths on their own. That’s why Repro are venerated rather than any native RS or RE synth inside a combinator.

utdgrant

11 Apr 2021

Thor is my single fave synth of all time. This includes hardware (analogue, digital, hybrid or VA) and software. Thor is always my go-to for sound design, unless I want a unique feature of something like the Minimoog, where I'll use the Arturia Mini V instead.

I would definitely be interested in running Thor as a VST under different DAW environments without having to go via RRP. I would pay extra for the convenience of missing out that one step, but not more than say 20 Euros.
Grant Middleton (records as "Under the Dome")

:reason: 12, Windows 10, 64-bit

Personal Website

YouTube channel

demt

11 Apr 2021

Yes
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

kuhliloach

11 Apr 2021

While I voted No there is a possibility. If the price were right (say about $10) and it included a vast collection of amazing presets the value would be hard to resist.

zoidkirb

11 Apr 2021

At $10 or $20 for Thor VST they would make an absolute killing.
Won't happen though, as it would devalue the overall value of the platform.

DJMaytag

12 Apr 2021

joeyluck wrote:
03 Apr 2021
Seeing as they discontinued the Europa VST after the release of the RRP, I don't see them releasing another synth (and one that is older) as a VST. As mentioned, a graphics update would probably solve the need for zooming.
I wonder how much of Europa VST was a test to see what sort of interest there was in using Reason devices in other DAW's? Removing it from the marketplace was definitely a move to encourage people (who didn't scoop the Europa VST) to use it and other Reason devices as a RRP.

svenh

04 May 2021

stratatonic wrote:
03 Apr 2021
svenh wrote:
03 Apr 2021
I don't use Reason much these days. I work faster in Ableton Live and I have soooo little time for making music so I better make the most out of the time I have. And running the Reason Rack plugin for just using Thor is suboptimal in many ways. And on top of that, the GUI is too small for me.

I miss Thor so much though, as a goto synth for supporting sounds in the background of my mixes! It is sooo versatile for simple sounds! If Thor was released as a VST, with a resizable GUI (at least 150% and 200% of its current size) I would buy it instantly! Anyone with me? :-)
No. I like Thor a lot though. It's great on the iPad - I like how they made that work for mobile; really well designed.

I think the desktop GUI is going to be bigger in Reason 12 anyways - you may like using it in the RackPlugin then.
Having thought about this a bit more, the tiny size of the plugins in the RackPlugin is probably the main reason why I seldom use it. I guess I am getting a bit excited about the R12 release now... :D

EdGrip

04 May 2021

RRP is good, but lots of the value is in cross-modulating - this triggers here, meaning that is modulated in that track over there, etc. This isn't possible in RRP, you still need to open Reason to do this kind of sound design. Likewise using CV to modulate parameters in VST instruments - RRP can't host VSTs, so that's another thing you must be in Reason to do. (You can do similar things with M4L (and presumably Bitwig and maybe other DAWs), but it's not as deep or as simple IME.

As for Thor... I'm not a fan, because its interface puts me off. I know that's silly. But if the consensus is that its real strength lies in being part of a bigger CV/combinator structure, then a rackless Thor doesn't make much sense.

• Information