Would you buy Thor as a VST?

Yes
19%
No
81%

Total votes: 81
svenh

03 Apr 2021

I don't use Reason much these days. I work faster in Ableton Live and I have soooo little time for making music so I better make the most out of the time I have. And running the Reason Rack plugin for just using Thor is suboptimal in many ways. And on top of that, the GUI is too small for me.

I miss Thor so much though, as a goto synth for supporting sounds in the background of my mixes! It is sooo versatile for simple sounds! If Thor was released as a VST, with a resizable GUI (at least 150% and 200% of its current size) I would buy it instantly! Anyone with me? :-)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2021

Never liked working with Thor.
And I don’t really like the floating windows with VSTs either. So double no for me I guess.

stratatonic

03 Apr 2021

svenh wrote:
03 Apr 2021
I don't use Reason much these days. I work faster in Ableton Live and I have soooo little time for making music so I better make the most out of the time I have. And running the Reason Rack plugin for just using Thor is suboptimal in many ways. And on top of that, the GUI is too small for me.

I miss Thor so much though, as a goto synth for supporting sounds in the background of my mixes! It is sooo versatile for simple sounds! If Thor was released as a VST, with a resizable GUI (at least 150% and 200% of its current size) I would buy it instantly! Anyone with me? :-)
No. I like Thor a lot though. It's great on the iPad - I like how they made that work for mobile; really well designed.

I think the desktop GUI is going to be bigger in Reason 12 anyways - you may like using it in the RackPlugin then.

svenh

03 Apr 2021

stratatonic wrote:
03 Apr 2021
I think the desktop GUI is going to be bigger in Reason 12 anyways - you may like using it in the RackPlugin then.
That would be a nice option. I still would like Thor as a VST though! ;)

joeyluck

03 Apr 2021

Seeing as they discontinued the Europa VST after the release of the RRP, I don't see them releasing another synth (and one that is older) as a VST. As mentioned, a graphics update would probably solve the need for zooming.

DaveyG

03 Apr 2021

I'd actually love all my REs to be individual VSTs but I don't think it will ever happen. Oh, and I'm not prepared to pay for them either! :lol:

sdst
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2021

I thought that the plugin was that, a vst.

Reason 11 comes with a vst plugin

svenh

03 Apr 2021

joeyluck wrote:
03 Apr 2021
Seeing as they discontinued the Europa VST after the release of the RRP, I don't see them releasing another synth (and one that is older) as a VST. As mentioned, a graphics update would probably solve the need for zooming.
Ahh, I didn't know that they had discontinued the Europa VST - well, then I guess there won't be any other VST-plugin from RS. Judging from the poll so far, there wouldn't be any reason for RS to make a Thor VST anyway... :puf_unhappy:

DaveyG

03 Apr 2021

sdst wrote:
03 Apr 2021
I thought that the plugin was that, a vst.

Reason 11 comes with a vst plugin
Well, yeah, obviously. But that's not the same as having each synth, player and effect as a separate VST. I quite often have 5 or 6 instances of the Reason plugin in a project with each instance containing just one item, usually a player or a synth. It works fine and the CPU usage is OK but it's just not ideal from a screen usage viewpoint, especially as you can't resize the rack to make it smaller. Well, you can but it pings back to the original size.

I still think RS could make some easy money if they sold more stuff as VST too, but the fact that they tried it with Europa might say otherwise.

Creativemind

03 Apr 2021

svenh wrote:
03 Apr 2021
joeyluck wrote:
03 Apr 2021
Ahh, I didn't know that they had discontinued the Europa VST - well, then I guess there won't be any other VST-plugin from RS. Judging from the poll so far, there wouldn't be any reason for RS to make a Thor VST anyway... :puf_unhappy:
I only clicked no in the poll simply because the RRP exists. If that didn't exist it would've probably have been a yes. They could update it at the same time. ;)

I think SubTractor would sell well as a vst / au / aax as it's one of the easiest synths to learn subtractive synthesis on. Very straight forward and logical to wrap your head around if you're a beginner. They could do some kind of deal for colleges and universities as a subtractive synthesis learning tool, on a multi-purchase, I mean sell it at say £49.99 (and they could upgrade it too - oscillator sync, sub-oscillator, fx, stereo, zoomable, parameters in right readings, mod matrix, anti-aliasing) and then maybe 10 copies for say £399.99 to colleges / universities and the bonus of a) being able to be used in any daw and b) advertises Reason when the student realises it's a Reason stock synth.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

BRIGGS

03 Apr 2021

r11s

svenh

03 Apr 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
03 Apr 2021
I have tried that, but it does not really help my workflow. But thanks for trying to help Briggs!

xylyx

03 Apr 2021

Haven't tried it myself but it is apparently 'inspired by' Thor, so might cover your needs:

https://www.thewavewarden.com/odin2

svenh

03 Apr 2021

xylyx wrote:
03 Apr 2021
Haven't tried it myself but it is apparently 'inspired by' Thor, so might cover your needs:

https://www.thewavewarden.com/odin2
Thanks, I have tried it. It is impressive, but it is not as good as Thor yet. :puf_smile:

QVprod

03 Apr 2021

There may be a nice work around for this. I can do it in studio one, not sure about Ableton. Load Thor in the Reason Rack Plugin and then save that as a preset (within the DAW not Reason). I think in Ableton you can do that as an instrument rack. That eliminates you having to drag Thor into the rack each time.

Mataya

03 Apr 2021

I prefer to have a whole reason as a vst, than just Thor.

M

Billy+

03 Apr 2021

Every device is now a vst au and aax plugin available in its own rack that gives access to Reason's routing options.

zoidkirb

03 Apr 2021

This R12 hd update will certainly make the rack a lot more useable in Live or any DAW) at least.

RRP lack of scalability/size/resolution is a really common complaint for other DAW users, and IMO it's those complaints that have forced RS into action at this time.

Billy+

03 Apr 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
03 Apr 2021
This R12 hd update will certainly make the rack a lot more useable in Live or any DAW) at least.

RRP lack of scalability/size/resolution is a really common complaint for other DAW users, and IMO it's those complaints that have forced RS into action at this time.
I have that issue with a number of vst devices I've trailed in Reason and I hope R12 brings a lot more than better graphics for the plugin else it won't be on my purchase list, I will just switch DAW's

zoidkirb

03 Apr 2021

Billy+ wrote:
03 Apr 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
03 Apr 2021

I have that issue with a number of vst devices I've trailed in Reason and I hope R12 brings a lot more than better graphics for the plugin else it won't be on my purchase list, I will just switch DAW's
Yes, a lot of VST's are small too. The Steinberg instruments are a particular annoyance to me for example.
I agree though, they still need a lot more than just HD!

As for other DAWs, I think it's great to have at least 2 anyway. For me I've got 3 which is too much honestly. I rotate between periods of Reason then Cubase, and Live then Reason. And whilst in those other DAWs more often than not I'm firing up the RRP, especially in Live because it integrates really well (in some ways even better than in standalone Reason)

Always come back to Reason standalone because despite its flaws, it just clicks with my workflow, but it's great to have options.

Oquasec

03 Apr 2021

I already did
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

PhillipOrdonez

03 Apr 2021

QVprod wrote:
03 Apr 2021
There may be a nice work around for this. I can do it in studio one, not sure about Ableton. Load Thor in the Reason Rack Plugin and then save that as a preset (within the DAW not Reason). I think in Ableton you can do that as an instrument rack. That eliminates you having to drag Thor into the rack each time.
No need for instrument rack, you can just save the plug-in instance as a preset in live.

svenh

04 Apr 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
03 Apr 2021

I have not followed the Reason development and info lately. Is R12 hd a known fact or just wishful thinking?

zoidkirb

04 Apr 2021

svenh wrote:
04 Apr 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
03 Apr 2021

I have not followed the Reason development and info lately. Is R12 hd a known fact or just wishful thinking?
There's quotes from RS staff saying both R12 and the Hd update are on the way sometime this year. I can't remember the specifics but that's the gist of it.

DaveyG

04 Apr 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
04 Apr 2021
svenh wrote:
04 Apr 2021

There's quotes from RS staff saying both R12 and the Hd update are on the way sometime this year. I can't remember the specifics but that's the gist of it.
I don't think they have ever specifically linked the two things so it is possible (but unlikely) that HD will be a point release of R11. I guess it's also possible that HD won't be ready in time for the R12 release and will follow along later but, yes, the most likely is that it will be a headline feature of R12 "later this year". I'm going to be sad if the biggest new thing in R12 is HD graphics. :puf_unhappy:

• Information