xLPG in the shop: VariPass Gate (Vactrol-based VCA/VCF/LPG) [by Turn2on]

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DJMaytag

02 Apr 2021

Could you add an option for "trigger only" and/or "trigger + decay intensity"? That would seem to be WAY easier for many Reason users to figure out, especially ones who might not be familiar with using LPG's in hardware.

turn2on
RE Developer

02 Apr 2021

So as I already write before, I can add Env Follower mode, that recognise main audio input and affect his intensity to decay.
Do you talk about this, but as addition to "Trigger Only" mode? Or something other?

"Trigger only" mode, is more for only Triggering by front panel button, like a momentary On/Off switcher..(by mouse click, or remote mapping of any controller). But Env Follower is another, because envelope of the main signal affect to decay.

We start to talk with you before about Envelope Follower. And this is not the same to simple triggering signal. And now I'm lost about what you really ask and need in functional:
- Did you talk now about Env Follower? Better to create special mode, because this is more special mode. Trigger button from front panel can be saved as active in this mode too.
Or about simple creating Triggering solution by the main audio signal without Envelope affect to the decay?

For end results I need clear understanding) For me this is a really various ways to realisation.

DJMaytag

02 Apr 2021

turn2on wrote:
02 Apr 2021
So as I already write before, I can add Env Follower mode, that recognise main audio input and affect his intensity to decay.
Do you talk about this, but as addition to "Trigger Only" mode? Or something other?

"Trigger only" mode, is more for only Triggering by front panel button, like a momentary On/Off switcher..(by mouse click, or remote mapping of any controller). But Env Follower is another, because envelope of the main signal affect to decay.

We start to talk with you before about Envelope Follower. And this is not the same to simple triggering signal. And now I'm lost about what you really ask and need in functional:
- Did you talk now about Env Follower? Better to create special mode, because this is more special mode. Trigger button from front panel can be saved as active in this mode too.
Or about simple creating Triggering solution by the main audio signal without Envelope affect to the decay?

For end results I need clear understanding) For me this is a really various ways to realisation.
OK, I think we are having a breakdown in communication, so let's look at these two products:

Things like this process signals to create the following outputs:
  • Pitch to CV (MS-20 only), for following pitch of audio signal to drive a VCO at the same pitch.
  • Envelope out, to create a envelope that follows the audio level of the external signal.
  • Gate out, to create a trigger/gate signal when audio reaches a certain threshold.
I generally refer to that External section of the MS-20 and a module like the A-119 as "envelope followers." I see now that the term could be confused with part of such devices.

What I am proposing, to simplify things for people who haven't wired things up in Eurorack, is that there is "gate detection" from the main audio input, and that could be used to trigger the xLPG. This could be a preset fixed level, adjustable with a knob on the front or back, or something you could disable completely.

I would be open to there also being an envelope derived from the audio input and/or external input, that would correspond to the LPG's level (velocity) and/or decay. This would be handy to create a more dynamic sound, but at increased complexity, so take that for what it's worth. It's not a feature I think I would need.

Sidechain... I wouldn't use that terminology for the secondary input as you've described it. Sidechain typically implies volume REDUCTION, as a bass drum signal going into a compressor that's processing a bassline would reduce the volume of the bassline. I would never have thought the side chain input on xLPG would trigger the gate to open the LPG.

Does this make more sense now?

• Information