6 Channel Mixer by Ekssperimental Sounds

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
guitfnky

01 Apr 2021

not sure I agree with loque—the attack seems a bit punchier and the sound seems more robust, listening to that example. then again, listening on iphone speakers is hardly a good way to look at it.

the only element there that seems to suffer a little is the rimshot (I guess that’s what it is—I only occasionally use synth drums). definitely getting shoved out of the way in that example. otherwise, it sounds great.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

PhillipOrdonez

01 Apr 2021

Slow robot. OK! I actually like how the rimshot turned out, actually. Helped the groove treating it that way. 🤷‍♂️

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 Apr 2021
Slow robot. OK! I actually like how the rimshot turned out, actually. Helped the groove treating it that way. 🤷‍♂️
Too my ears the processed drums sounded much, much better. Warmer through the mixer.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

01 Apr 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 Apr 2021
👍🏼 totally—different ears like different things. it’s what keeps music interesting! 😊

never thought I’d be thinking about paying for a line mixer device, but the coloration options are exactly the sort of things that perk my ears up. such a simple idea, I’m surprised it hasn’t been done until now.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Steedus
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2021

What are the 2 audio jacks in between Send and Master out?

ekss
RE Developer

02 Apr 2021

fieldframe wrote:
01 Apr 2021
I unreservedly love the vintage hardware aesthetic of the Ekssperimental Sounds catalog of devices.

It's something that's been missing from far too many Rack Extensions in recent years, even many of Reason Studios' own – far too many modern REs have gone down the path of "VST with some 3D knobs" rather than "rack-mounted hardware unit." ES has embraced the playing-with-hardware ethos of Reason's rack more consistently than any other developer of late, and I hope we see imitators (RS included).

In parallel, the other thing that makes these so good is that Ekss clearly has a developed understanding of UI/visual design. Not only do these devices tend to have thoughtful layouts, the typography and visual treatment of controls and labels has a sophistication that's often lacking in independently-developed plugins.
Thank's a lot for these kind words! ❤️

ekss
RE Developer

02 Apr 2021

Steedus wrote:
01 Apr 2021
What are the 2 audio jacks in between Send and Master out?
Oooop! These are only present in the screenshot - placed there by mistake while designing the back. :shifty:
I've erased them now and uploaded new screenshots to the product page.. will probably be replaced there as soon as RS are back in the office after easter holidays.

ekss
RE Developer

02 Apr 2021

I thought I'd clarify my thinking while designing the mixer and why I chose to set it up the the way it is, since it's quite limited and kind of Lo-Fi.

The idea for the mixer was an old school mini mixer, I was inspired by my Boss BX-60 which is a really simple small mixer and has nice distortion when you crank up the inputs. I wanted a similar mini mixer for the rack that could be used for building drum kits and for small lo-fi setups, kind of emulating an old school home studio.
Both DRUMSYN and SYNR has stereo outputs but there is nothing in the device that produces stereo material - they're stereo because of the "mix in" audio through jacks. So mono input channels was what I had in mind. Also my synths are mono except for the fx (and the unison on ES01).
Then there is an important part which made it impossible to extend the inputs to stereo, even if I would have wanted: the limitations of IDT/GE toolkit. The maximum input jacks are 8. So I choose to have 6 mono inputs and 1 stereo return and thereby using all the available inputs.

I can see that this is not a mixer that the majority are looking for and that is totally fine! It ain't Hi-Fi, it only has mono inputs and it color the sound quite much. The compressor and eq's are simple, but it's just like I wanted it to be. Primarily I don't build stuff to sell as many REs as possible - I build the things I miss in the Rack and what I find inspiring and fun to use. As my brand name suggest, i'm all for experimental sounds rather then well polished hifi. 🤖

Regarding auto-routing and 11.3.9 update - there was a bug in Reason that arose while building this - the auto routing wasn't working as intended with RE utility devices before the bug fix, the mixer will still work in older versions but you need to wire it manually.

Yonatan

02 Apr 2021

If this brings a lo-fi sound, I am interested. :)

ekss
RE Developer

02 Apr 2021

Yonatan wrote:
02 Apr 2021
If this brings a lo-fi sound, I am interested. :)
I just made a improvised live stream with the mixer and some other REs.. you can check it here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/972320584

Mostly using SYNR and DRUMSYN, building rhythms and melodies, ending up with some kind of digi dub.
Last edited by ekss on 02 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Ottostrom

02 Apr 2021

ekss wrote:
02 Apr 2021
I thought I'd clarify my thinking while designing the mixer and why I chose to set it up the the way it is, since it's quite limited and kind of Lo-Fi.

The idea for the mixer was an old school mini mixer, I was inspired by my Boss BX-60 which is a really simple small mixer and has nice distortion when you crank up the inputs. I wanted a similar mini mixer for the rack that could be used for building drum kits and for small lo-fi setups, kind of emulating an old school home studio.
Both DRUMSYN and SYNR has stereo outputs but there is nothing in the device that produces stereo material - they're stereo because of the "mix in" audio through jacks. So mono input channels was what I had in mind. Also my synths are mono except for the fx (and the unison on ES01).
Then there is an important part which made it impossible to extend the inputs to stereo, even if I would have wanted: the limitations of IDT/GE toolkit. The maximum input jacks are 8. So I choose to have 6 mono inputs and 1 stereo return and thereby using all the available inputs.

I can see that this is not a mixer that the majority are looking for and that is totally fine! It ain't Hi-Fi, it only has mono inputs and it color the sound quite much. The compressor and eq's are simple, but it's just like I wanted it to be. Primarily I don't build stuff to sell as many REs as possible - I build the things I miss in the Rack and what I find inspiring and fun to use. As my brand name suggest, i'm all for experimental sounds rather then well polished hifi. 🤖

Regarding auto-routing and 11.3.9 update - there was a bug in Reason that arose while building this - the auto routing wasn't working as intended with RE utility devices before the bug fix, the mixer will still work in older versions but you need to wire it manually.
I really appreciate this kind of mentality :) You can never please everyone anyways so why not make the devices which peaks your own interest.
As a member of the lo-fi gang, to me this mixer seems like a great tool to limit yourself and create tracks with an almost " cassette demo" feel.
Also, thanks for being an active part of the forum and explaining the thinking behind your devices.

Är en fattig studerande för tillfället men när jag väl börjar tjäna lite deg kommer jag definitivt att skaffa dina plugins! :D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
02 Apr 2021
ekss wrote:
02 Apr 2021

I really appreciate this kind of mentality :) You can never please everyone anyways so why not make the devices which peaks your own interest.
As a member of the lo-fi gang, to me this mixer seems like a great tool to limit yourself and create tracks with an almost " cassette demo" feel.
Also, thanks for being an active part of the forum and explaining the thinking behind your devices.

Är en fattig studerande för tillfället men när jag väl börjar tjäna lite deg kommer jag definitivt att skaffa dina plugins! :D
Hahahaha. Kan du Svenska!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ekss
RE Developer

02 Apr 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
02 Apr 2021
ekss wrote:
02 Apr 2021

Indeed, one cannot please everyone! I'm very happy that there are so many in the lo-fi gang and users on RT that appreciate the stuff i do, thank you all! :redface:

Ottostrom

02 Apr 2021

MrFigg wrote:
02 Apr 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
02 Apr 2021

Den svenskspråkiga styrkan växer varje dag och snart kan vi ta över hela forumet :twisted:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
02 Apr 2021
MrFigg wrote:
02 Apr 2021

Den svenskspråkiga styrkan växer varje dag och snart kan vi ta över hela forumet :twisted:
Får se. we might get thrown out for breaking the language rules before we get the chance.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

02 Apr 2021

MrFigg wrote:
02 Apr 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
02 Apr 2021

Får se. we might get thrown out for breaking the language rules before we get the chance.
Oi! Visste ikke at det var en language rule we could break 😂 all good mods, nothing but English here 😂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 Apr 2021
MrFigg wrote:
02 Apr 2021

Oi! Visste ikke at det var en language rule we could break 😂 all good mods, nothing but English here 😂
Spanska ba’.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information