6 Channel Mixer by Ekssperimental Sounds

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ottostrom

01 Apr 2021

The busiest RE dev with the coolest GUIs has released yet another device :)

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nel-mixer/

"6CH MIXER is a compact and rough little six channel mixer for the rack.

It has 6 mono channels, each with controls for Gain, 3 band Equalizer with adjustable mid frequency, Pan, Level, Mute/Solo and an aux Send with option of Pre or Post level. When the input amps are gained they will dist in a gritty way - beware this mixer ain't HI-FI!"

RoryM0

01 Apr 2021

Says it requires 11.3.9 for auto routing to work properly... What changes in auto routing appeared in 11.3.9?

Looks interesting though. Is this the only RE mixer?

deeplink
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2021

Finally! Someone took up the initiative to provide further opportunities for the utility devices in Reason. I have longed for an alternative to the Reason mixers, which look more and more outdated by the day.

I immediately trialed the decive, and - notwithstanding the above - these are the reasons why I won't be buying;
1. Mono inputs. Basically cuts my stereo signals in half.
2. Channels don't automatically name themselves (seems like an API issue)
3. Holding out for Reason 12.. maybe they will address and revamp their stock utilities?
4. The "rough" in the description makes me feel like there's a bigger or better brother of this device coming. So I'll wait and see

Otherwise, the gritty limiter is great. And the filter on the return is super convient.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Loque

01 Apr 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
01 Apr 2021
Ask and thou shalt receive.... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7519137
Yea...still waiting for MY replacement in the rack ;)
Reason12, Win10

Kalm

01 Apr 2021

This little buddy seems perfect for layering sounds, especially drums
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

PhillipOrdonez

01 Apr 2021

deeplink wrote:
01 Apr 2021
Finally! Someone took up the initiative to provide further opportunities for the utility devices in Reason. I have longed for an alternative to the Reason mixers, which look more and more outdated by the day.

I immediately trialed the decive, and - notwithstanding the above - these are the reasons why I won't be buying;
3. Holding out for Reason 12.. maybe they will address and revamp their stock utilities?
4. The "rough" in the description makes me feel like there's a bigger or better brother of this device coming. So I'll wait and see

Otherwise, the gritty limiter is great. And the filter on the return is super convient.
Sounds like it's perfect for drums!

DJMaytag

01 Apr 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
01 Apr 2021
Says it requires 11.3.9 for auto routing to work properly... What changes in auto routing appeared in 11.3.9?

Doesn't seem to work at all in R10.

Billy+

01 Apr 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
01 Apr 2021

There are a few mixers available as RE's.

I have this one :- https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -dj-mixer/

The only thing missing is an RE that lets you store tracks for dj style mixing inside the daw with cue points etc.

Oh and I've got this one as well :- https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cts-mixer/

RoryM0

01 Apr 2021

Billy+ wrote:
01 Apr 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
01 Apr 2021

There are a few mixers available as RE's.

I have this one :- https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -dj-mixer/

The only thing missing is an RE that lets you store tracks for dj style mixing inside the daw with cue points etc.

Oh and I've got this one as well :- https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cts-mixer/
Ah yes, forgot about the spem one! But hadn't seen the executioner. Interesting.

Billy+

01 Apr 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
01 Apr 2021
https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes
Fixed a bug with Auto-routing of send / return sockets in Rack Extensions

Re8et
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 Apr 2021
deeplink wrote:
01 Apr 2021

Sounds like it's perfect for drums!
Same thinking. Also Subtractor is mono. This guy knows about mixing!

RoryM0

01 Apr 2021

Billy+ wrote:
01 Apr 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
01 Apr 2021
https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes
Fixed a bug with Auto-routing of send / return sockets in Rack Extensions
Boom. That's the one. Cheers.

integerpoet

01 Apr 2021

deeplink wrote:
01 Apr 2021
That just means for you it's a three-channel mixer with an enhanced configuration ritual. :-)

Creativemind

01 Apr 2021

deeplink wrote:
01 Apr 2021

But this won't be a replacement for the Line Mixer 6:2 (6 channels Stereo) as it's just 6 mono channels, so if anyone could clarify, only useful for mono guitar recordings or vocals?

Now if it was 16 channels stereo with 10+ foldable sends, that would be cool.

What's an API Issue?
Last edited by Creativemind on 01 Apr 2021, edited 2 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

01 Apr 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
01 Apr 2021

This...

EDIT - Sorry. already been stated above. Doh!
Attachments
Fixed a Bug 11.3.PNG
Fixed a Bug 11.3.PNG (8.12 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

fieldframe
RE Developer

01 Apr 2021

I unreservedly love the vintage hardware aesthetic of the Ekssperimental Sounds catalog of devices.

It's something that's been missing from far too many Rack Extensions in recent years, even many of Reason Studios' own – far too many modern REs have gone down the path of "VST with some 3D knobs" rather than "rack-mounted hardware unit." ES has embraced the playing-with-hardware ethos of Reason's rack more consistently than any other developer of late, and I hope we see imitators (RS included).

In parallel, the other thing that makes these so good is that Ekss clearly has a developed understanding of UI/visual design. Not only do these devices tend to have thoughtful layouts, the typography and visual treatment of controls and labels has a sophistication that's often lacking in independently-developed plugins.

Bes
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
01 Apr 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
01 Apr 2021

the autorouting wont work or the send/recieves wont work or the entire RE won't work in r10?
- Certified Reason expert

PhillipOrdonez

01 Apr 2021

I just did a literal 5 minute test. Took a redrum, picked some samples at random and did a quick groove.

First the loop through the mixer, and then the original loop with no processing. I matched their loudness.

This mixer definitely colours the sound a lot. And I love that. I quite like the compression. I wish there was a HPF per channel and the option to select the bass frequency. And a compressor per channel.

What do you guys think? Which loop is better?

:)

Billy+

01 Apr 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
01 Apr 2021
I'm guessing that your going to need to flip the rack and wire up the device, other than that there should be no reason for it not to work.

DJMaytag

01 Apr 2021

Bes wrote:
01 Apr 2021
DJMaytag wrote:
01 Apr 2021

the autorouting wont work or the send/recieves wont work or the entire RE won't work in r10?
It doesn't appear to work at all. I had to manually wire it up to a mix channel and an drum machine, but... nothing.

Loque

01 Apr 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 Apr 2021
I just did a literal 5 minute test. Took a redrum, picked some samples at random and did a quick groove.

First the loop through the mixer, and then the original loop with no processing. I matched their loudness.

This mixer definitely colours the sound a lot. And I love that. I quite like the compression. I wish there was a HPF per channel and the option to select the bass frequency. And a compressor per channel.

Its always a matter of taste and how you are making the settings. For me, the compression kills the transient and it sounds washy. The saturation is too much for my taste and i hear artefacts/distortion. I think you just dialed in too much of everything. But again, its always a matter of settings, source material and personal taste.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
01 Apr 2021
Bes wrote:
01 Apr 2021

It doesn't appear to work at all. I had to manually wire it up to a mix channel and an drum machine, but... nothing.
Cable it straight into the master section.
Last edited by MrFigg on 01 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

01 Apr 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Apr 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 Apr 2021

Its always a matter of taste and how you are making the settings. For me, the compression kills the transient and it sounds washy. The saturation is too much for my taste and i hear artefacts/distortion. I think you just dialed in too much of everything. But again, its always a matter of settings, source material and personal taste.
It took 5 minutes to do the whole thing. Just a quick test, Loque 😑

I did crank up the input gain to the max to bring up the distortion. 🤓

Would be great to be able to use the compression in parallel too 🤷‍♂️

Loque

01 Apr 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 Apr 2021
Loque wrote:
01 Apr 2021

It took 5 minutes to do the whole thing. Just a quick test, Loque 😑

I did crank up the input gain to the max to bring up the distortion. 🤓

Would be great to be able to use the compression in parallel too 🤷‍♂️
Yea, sure, i got it. I didnt saw a Attack control for the Compressor, so its difficult to control the transients.

And i prefere more control over saturation/distortion or whatever, so i hook up Saturn or do some other multiband stuff or dial in different devices, to check which suits best.

I think this mixer suits some needs. Well, not mine so i move on.
Reason12, Win10

• Information