Do you create music sitting or standing up?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
motuscott

27 Mar 2021

If I'm composing, I'm planking. For regular mixing it's usually the bound firefly or half frog.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Bes
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2021

interesting thread, i have fibromyalgia so i'm lying in bed or propped up on a couch for composing. i try to have nothing obstructing my elbows when i work and theres not much space for midi devices but i was always into sequencing over performing anyway
- Certified Reason expert

PhillipOrdonez

27 Mar 2021

Bes wrote:
27 Mar 2021
interesting thread, i have fibromyalgia so i'm lying in bed or propped up on a couch for composing. i try to have nothing obstructing my elbows when i work and theres not much space for midi devices but i was always into sequencing over performing anyway
🤗

guitfnky

27 Mar 2021

mix hanging from the ceiling like a bat or gtfo
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

plaamook

27 Mar 2021

stratatonic wrote:
04 Dec 2016

...the angle of neck that that guy in the vid is looking at his laptop, would cripple me ... :(
No kidding.
I’m on a laptop and I really need a solution to the neck angle problem.
Whenever I start putting the hours in on a project the neck pain starts.
When I stop it goes away in a few days but still.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

EnochLight

27 Mar 2021

Did someone say thread resurrection? :lol:
EnochLight wrote:
29 Nov 2016
I have a standing workstation at my full time 9-5 job, so the moment I get into my studio - I plant my ass on my workstation chair! ;) :lol: :mrgreen: That said, I stand to record vocals. I usually play my keys, pads, bass and guitar sitting down, though.
So many things have changed in the past 5 years since I posted that. While I still have the same standing workstation at my 9-5 job, I actually added two standing work areas on 2 different walls and an Alesis drum pad kit in my studio since then. One houses my "Roland (mostly) wall", and the other - which I just built - now houses my Akai Force and Roland JX-8P. So, when I work in front of those - I'm obviously standing. But when I work with Reason, my ass still remains firmly planted in my studio chair. And while drumming... :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Bes
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2021

- Certified Reason expert

joeyluck

27 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Mar 2021

Did someone say thread resurrection? :lol:
Hey now lol. It seemed like the most appropriate thread. I thought I remembered another thread about chairs...couldn't find it though via the search here or google search. I didn't want to create a thread just to tell people I'm sitting on a ball lol. I mean it's pretty great, but not deserving of its own thread.

Rising Night Wave

28 Mar 2021

i do my music while sitting.

i had a gaming chair. some slovenian company - UVI Chair. it was a good chair. but i broke it since i am a bit too overweighted.
since then, i am sitting on kitchen chair from our kitchen.

but i am expecting a new room for myself. when it will happen - around in a half of year - i will use again, but that time some other model, UVI Chair's chair.
i already bought that new UVI's chair but it is packed in original box. as i said i am waiting to gather all new stuff for my new room 'cos i am low on a budget.
so every month something.

when my new room will be finished i will post a picture of it in thread here on ReasonTalk forum - "post a pic of your studio" or something like that it is called.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

stratatonic

30 Mar 2021

plaamook wrote:
27 Mar 2021
stratatonic wrote:
04 Dec 2016

...the angle of neck that that guy in the vid is looking at his laptop, would cripple me ... :(
No kidding.
I’m on a laptop and I really need a solution to the neck angle problem.
Whenever I start putting the hours in on a project the neck pain starts.
When I stop it goes away in a few days but still.
I recently got a pair of glasses (progressives) - like a bifocal, but from top to bottom goes from distance viewing to close-up. Having to lift my head to view screen from the bottom of the lenses forces me to keep my neck straight rather than angled down.

stratatonic

30 Mar 2021

motuscott wrote:
27 Mar 2021
For regular mixing it's usually the bound firefly.
lol, are the speakers in front of you or behind you?

mcatalao
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2021

I sit for composing and mixing/mastering, playing keys/piano. But I play flutes and EWI and prefer to play wind instruments standing.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2021

If I want to make a number 1 I usually stand. If I sit it's always been a number 2 hit.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

integerpoet

31 Mar 2021

deepndark wrote:
30 Nov 2016
I sit and mix, - anyhow I've heard how recording vocals by standing up can give you better results. If you stand up and sing, your lungs work betterly. Or something like that.
This is Actual Science. My partner has and gives formal education in this. Standing is simply the done thing, and people with training would laugh if you suggested otherwise. After that, you can get into all kinds of posture details and then an amazing degree of specific anatomical foci depending on what kind of singing you want to do.
Last edited by integerpoet on 01 Apr 2021, edited 2 times in total.

integerpoet

31 Mar 2021

MrFigg wrote:
31 Mar 2021
If I want to make a number 1 I usually stand. If I sit it's always been a number 2 hit.
FIGG

Creativemind

31 Mar 2021

I know it's better for your digestion if you eat standing up. :lol:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

integerpoet

31 Mar 2021

(mistaken duplicate post; please delete)
Last edited by integerpoet on 01 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Melody303

31 Mar 2021

Somewhere between sitting and laying down on my recliner, for any and all music writing/performance/recording/mixing. Either a keyboard or a guitar or a saxophone in my lap. Recording the sax is the most awkward of the bunch, where I hold the mic between my knees as I play, but it works for me. :p
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

Catblack

01 Apr 2021

I'm usually sitting with Reason, but I have to stand when I patch my modular as it's a little too high. I put the case I built up on a little rotating tv stand so there's a compartment underneath for the modular skiffs.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

motuscott

01 Apr 2021

stratatonic wrote:
30 Mar 2021
motuscott wrote:
27 Mar 2021
For regular mixing it's usually the bound firefly.
I have one of those dealies where you hook up the subwoofer feed to your yoga pad. No speavers necessary.

stratatonic

03 Apr 2021

aisling wrote:
30 Nov 2016
stratatonic wrote: Yeah, I think folks sit way too much. I think I may hint to someone to get me one of these for Xmas...if it doesn't work out at the computer, I can always try to incorporate it somehow into my exercise routine...
I'm 5'11 and I use a 75cm ball. The ball manufacturer's recommend 65cm for my height, but they aren't factoring that I'm using it to sit.
I did end up getting a ball when I first posted this thread...a decade ago... :roll: I actually used it a lot and for some reason I shifted it to another room during pandemic 2020 and completely forgot about it.

Thanks Joey, it is back in . rotation again...

demt

03 Apr 2021

Both but I seem to sit more these days.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

DaveyG

03 Apr 2021

Time was when I'd sit for everything except guitar but my live playing days are long gone so I sit down for guitar too. My work chair has one arm removed to make that possible.

motuscott

03 Apr 2021

Am I the only one who watches with not a small amount of sadness the twilight of some of the original PUFters,
We're all hitting the elderly fence and I can't be the only one who notices:
Selig, who never has a bad word for anyone, JP, who knows, but dare not speak his name, and many others whomse names I will take with me to the grave, your avatars are too many to mention but ye secrets are safe with me.
Am I hitting the Easter aperterifs too muchly, dial 1 800 hows my driving,
yer pal, ms

stratatonic

04 Apr 2021

motuscott wrote:
01 Apr 2021
stratatonic wrote:
30 Mar 2021

I have one of those dealies where you hook up the subwoofer feed to your yoga pad. No speavers necessary.
I'm jealous. Total mind/body experience. You are truly vibrating with the Universe.

• Information