Have Propellerhead / Reason Studio's Ever Changed a Feature?

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Creativemind

28 Mar 2021

Hi All!

I was wondering if there has ever been a feature function changed in Reason?

I want them to change the ctrl click (to reset that parameter) to double left click. After using it Reaper it just feels more natural, not to mention quicker.

Has any feature ever been changed then not just something that was made more advanced or added, altered in someway?

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Billy+

28 Mar 2021

I'm not sure if I would want them to change that, I know lost of vst's use double click to reset, but I quite like the current behaviour as it's something you have to do rather than accidentally doing.

As for something they have changed, I think that latest update has a new feature that if I'm remembering correctly cause a chance from previous.

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... 9-released
New functions

Holding down [Shift] and double clicking a note in Edit mode selects that note + all the following notes until the end of clip

I think the change is discussed in another thread, I'm not sure as I didn't install the update..

Creativemind

28 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
28 Mar 2021
I'm not sure if I would want them to change that, I know lost of vst's use double click to reset, but I quite like the current behaviour as it's something you have to do rather than accidentally doing.

As for something they have changed, I think that latest update has a new feature that if I'm remembering correctly cause a chance from previous.

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... 9-released
New functions

Holding down [Shift] and double clicking a note in Edit mode selects that note + all the following notes until the end of clip

I think the change is discussed in another thread, I'm not sure as I didn't install the update..
You don't accidentally do it or at least I've never accidentally done it in nearly 15 months of using Reaper, not once. That's why vst's use this functionality I suppose. Why would you accidentally double click a parameter when double clicking it has no other function? It's a lot more intuitive and quicker to double click rather than ctrl click so your left hand has to be part of the function and also you have to look down at your keyboard.

I also don't think that selecting all midi notes in a lane in the midi editor was a previous function, it was a new one.

Baylo

28 Mar 2021

Creativemind wrote:
28 Mar 2021
Why would you accidentally double click a parameter when double clicking it has no other function?
Quite simply: because it *is* accidental. It’s not something that is done because you suddenly forgot the correct function; it’s done because the muscles in your finger twitched and you double-clicked when you didn’t mean to. Happens to me all the time, these days. I guess I’m getting old.

Seriously, though, it is an important accessibility setting. An accidental change to a setting shouldn’t be possible.

Creativemind

28 Mar 2021

Baylo wrote:
28 Mar 2021
Creativemind wrote:
28 Mar 2021
Why would you accidentally double click a parameter when double clicking it has no other function?
Quite simply: because it *is* accidental. It’s not something that is done because you suddenly forgot the correct function; it’s done because the muscles in your finger twitched and you double-clicked when you didn’t mean to. Happens to me all the time, these days. I guess I’m getting old.

Seriously, though, it is an important accessibility setting. An accidental change to a setting shouldn’t be possible.
Then you ctrl z after. 😉

Billy+

28 Mar 2021

Or just leave it as ctrl click now, then you don't need to crtl z ......

Also I did list the above as a new feature and I've been looking through the old post and can only find someone being funny about it, but I thought I read that it caused an actual change, but it doesn...

guitfnky

28 Mar 2021

ctrl+click and double left click are both pretty standard ways of resetting something across many different plugins/DAWs. I think it would be a mistake for RS to change that, since it's probably already well-established muscle memory for many of us in Reason. for me, it's an easy thing to be aware of the context I'm working in (if I'm in Ableton, or in a Waves plugin, for example, use double-click--if I'm in Reason, or using another plugin that works similarly, ctrl+click). not really too difficult to get used to, especially if you're used to working with a variety of different plugins, since you'll need to be working differently on a per-plug basis anyway.

but what I WOULD like them to do would be to give us user-customizable shortcuts. ugh, I'd love that so much in Ableton, too--honestly, I'd port most of the Reason shortcuts I'm used to over there.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

selig
RE Developer

30 Mar 2021

In pro tools, resetting is done with option-click since day one, 30 years now! I STILL accidentally do this in reason, which creates an automation track and a surprised look on my face every time.
Selig Audio, LLC

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

selig wrote:
30 Mar 2021
a surprised look on my face every time.
:lol:

sdst
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2021

custom keyboard shortcuts and hide channel

for the lord of the rings Reason studios!!!

Creativemind

30 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
28 Mar 2021
Or just leave it as ctrl click now, then you don't need to crtl z ......

Also I did list the above as a new feature and I've been looking through the old post and can only find someone being funny about it, but I thought I read that it caused an actual change, but it doesn...
Can you link me that thread, I would like to find my comrade lol!

AnotherMathias

30 Mar 2021

I vote YES for double-clicking knobs to reset the value!

But most likely it would have to be implemented as an option in preferences. Click the box to toggle between the old way and double clicking.
As far as I know, double clicking a knob now does nothing, so it wouldn't clash with any current UI function.
That's one of the great things about Reason, compared to a typical DAW - the UI is fairly uniform, so if we can change a behavior (like double clicking), that benefit will translate to EVERYTHING, including all the (non-VST) devices.

Anything to reduce the need to reach for the keyboard would be nice for me. Right hand on the mouse, left hand on my MIDI keyboard, playing notes while editing a sound/recording.
I realize that that's opposite to what a lot of people are requesting lately - they want to use their keyboard MORE for shortcuts, and click their mouse less. No reason we couldn't have both!

zoidkirb

30 Mar 2021

Yes please to double click resetting to default.
I do plenty of tweaking of parameters while playing my midi keyboard with my left hand. It's a pain have to swap to the pc keyboard to ctrl click.

Perhaps ctrl-click could be re purposed to something else such as a secondary user defined default, or maybe to turn off automation overide but just for that parameter.

Of course this should be an option in a new key bindings page in settings.

miscend

31 Mar 2021

I don't think they will change that because it goes against 20 years of their users' muscle memory. It would be like moving the transport controls to the function keys.

There are software utilities that allow you to remap mouse buttons. Perhaps you could remap the double click into a ctrl click. If you're on a Mac maybe you can try this https://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

If you have a gaming mouse like the Logitech ones that have loads of extra buttons, it's even easier to program one of the buttons to do a parameter reset in Reason.
Last edited by miscend on 31 Mar 2021, edited 2 times in total.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2021

selig wrote:
30 Mar 2021
In pro tools, resetting is done with option-click since day one, 30 years now! I STILL accidentally do this in reason, which creates an automation track and a surprised look on my face every time.
Old habits... :-)

• Information