Algoritm Song Competition: The Winners!

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
joeyluck

29 Mar 2021

Thank you to everyone for the many excellent entries! You made it a very difficult decision for the judges. It was incredibly close! Congratulations to the winners! Each winner will be receiving Algoritm, the new FM synth by Reason Studios! Thank you again to Reason Studios for making this possible!

1st Place

"Electric Eyes" by Hurricane

2nd Place

"Garden" by Aeox

3rd Place

"At the Top of the Hill (丘の頂上で)" by Quarmat

Bes
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2021

congrats!
- Certified Reason expert

Popey
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2021

Well done Hurricane, Aeox and Quarmat 👍 really enjoyed listening to all the Entries

PhillipOrdonez

29 Mar 2021

🌪️
Last edited by PhillipOrdonez on 29 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipOrdonez

29 Mar 2021

Superb entries, you guys! Congrats to the three of you. 🤗🤗🤗

sdst
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2021

:-) congratulations to the winners

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2021

Congrats to the winners. Many great entries!
My Favoriten are
Sdst - Fm samurai
Hurricane - Electric Eyes

EdwardKiy

29 Mar 2021

How did Snapperdub not win? 1st and 2nd place aren't even songs. What is this?

EdwardKiy

29 Mar 2021

Congratulations to Quarmat, the only song in the winner's list of a song contest, and it's place 3 out of 3.

turbopage
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2021

Congrats to the winners! Great tracks
Music Will Save Us

Billy+

29 Mar 2021

Well done winners.

Gothi

29 Mar 2021

Yeah, great winning tracks, thoough I must say that there were many great contributions. People really made an effort. How cool to hear such a wave of creativity rising.

It was an honor to participate

Tribe of Hofund bow to the winners and greet the rest of you with musical respect

Kind regards
Gothi and Peter

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2021

Congratulations to the winners!

guitfnky

29 Mar 2021

congrats to the winners! that Aeox tune is my favorite, of the bunch--super tasty!
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2021

guitfnky wrote:
29 Mar 2021
congrats to the winners! that Aeox tune is my favorite, of the bunch--super tasty!
Thanks sir! There were some tracks I really thought would win that didn't, so it's bittersweet I guess. I'm really lucky to have place 2nd, all things considered.

Congrats to the winners and in general, to everyone who submitted cool music. :lightbulb:
EdwardKiy wrote:
29 Mar 2021
Congratulations to Quarmat, the only song in the winner's list of a song contest, and it's place 3 out of 3.

If we are looking at the semantics of the word "song" I guess you're right in that my music doesn't have singing/words. I don't know how to sing :(

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2021

It's the year of the FM synth so we're all winners.

And thanks to those that voted for my track. :puf_smile:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Loque

29 Mar 2021

I just want to point out, that you sent in some great tunes for the competition. Some of them were a bit better than others, and a few more songs were even better than all the rest. My final top 10 list felt so bad, because every song was great and the last one in that list didn't deserved to be the last one. But i need to make decisions and in the end there were just some small differences.

Even if your song didn't won, all of you made great music and the voting was really hard!

Gratulation to the first places to get a cool synth on top of their great music!
Reason12, Win10

Jagwah

30 Mar 2021

Congrats guys and @Hurricane OMG that brass sounds unbelievably realistic, love the 80s vibe! These three guys should collab on an Algoritm refill!

We need a music player in this forum!

Quarmat
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2021

Thank you for appreciating my track. I feel honoured for entering a competition with so many skilled musicians! There were amazing entries to this contest: top notch music!
EdwardKiy wrote:
29 Mar 2021
Thank you for your words, but I think the word song here was meant in its broadest sense, meaning any piece of music, not necessarily actually sung. I do think Hurricane and Aeox well deserved their ranking!
aeox wrote:
29 Mar 2021
I don't know how to sing :(
Neither do I, that's why I used vocoder :lol:

Also, I believe that every jury is made up of people and every person has their own tastes, I for one would never have imagined finishing in the top three. I was 99% sure that podium would be Aeox, Rare Shadow and TurboPage; their tracks are crazy!

Great music everyone, keep creating!

Thank you RS and ReasonTalk for these contests. They unleash creativity!

EdwardKiy

30 Mar 2021

aeox wrote:
29 Mar 2021
If we are looking at the semantics of the word "song" I guess you're right in that my music doesn't have singing/words. I don't know how to sing :(
1. I didn't make the rules, which state "Song" like 5 times and are not specific in anything else other than asking for a song.

2. Your track is a good piece of music, but it's just not a song. You don't have to sing for a song to be a song, you can use an instrument or insect sounds or basically anything else if the composition is thought through as a song - it's almost always a hard compromise of what you want to do and the experience of the listener. There's a lot of work missing from your track to make it a song. I would go as far as saying half the work. Quarmat's solution of feeding a vocoder was pretty clever, but would be impossible in your case - there's simply no space for it, you didn't compromise anything.

3. To recap, if this was a purely Music competition, you should have won hands down. I am terribly sorry that you are on the receiving end of my discontent, I know you are not at fault here.
Quarmat wrote:
30 Mar 2021

Thank you for your words, but I think the word song here was meant in its broadest sense, meaning any piece of music, not necessarily actually sung. I do think Hurricane and Aeox well deserved their ranking!
I appreciate you making a graceful excuse for all of this, but what possessed you to use a vocoder if you actually believed that?

I beg of you, give me a link to a dictionary which has this broadest sense of the word song which means any piece of music, because I think I might be going crazy here. To me that sounds like "boxing was meant in the broadest sense - you know, where you can use guns, rocks and roundhouse kicks".

Anywho, I had great fun taking part in this contest and I was morally prepared to lose to other entries that were songs, but the results were shocking to me. I just wish the rules are laid out clear next time around.

LongFist

30 Mar 2021

Congrats all! Excellent work, there! Most excellent!
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

guitfnky

30 Mar 2021

a thing I’ve learned today; some musicians apparently don’t know what songs are. 🥸
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Noise
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2021

Congratulations to the winners, the rest of the participants and also Joey Luck for the contest!

I would like to add some words about it:
I will talk out a bit out of ignorance, bear with me. I don't know if this contest was only possible because Joey Luck getting in touch with reason studio.
I assume it was, and again, thank you for effort to make this happen.

Now some critiques:
- We could list all submited tracks to the reasonTalk blog post, it would add great value and exposition to the artists involved, not to mention, i would be a nice thank 'you for participating note'. I assume there are tracks submitted that didn't land on the forum post and I would like the hear them.
( I recall in previous contests, there was a list of songs)

- A little comment why the winning selection was made ? We are talking about music and music should have adjectives. ex: What did standout, what motivated me to vote, etc. Somewhat is lacking some analysis and I would like to read about it. Reading about music, and your points of view, would be a nice change instead of reading about complaints :D

- I would love that this contest was treated like Reason Studio managed the Algoritm presentation. Ryan (for example) could showcase the songs and this contest could turn in one hour event, just imagine this dynamic: people would come to the stream and enjoy music together, also, get a chance to vote, and learn how was it made, just a wasted opportunity here.

Just my opinion!
Peace.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Loque

30 Mar 2021

Noise wrote:
30 Mar 2021
Now some critiques:
- We could list all submited tracks to the reasonTalk blog post, it would add great value and exposition to the artists involved, not to mention, i would be a nice thank 'you for participating note'. I assume there are tracks submitted that didn't land on the forum post and I would like the hear them.
( I recall in previous contests, there was a list of songs)
I am with you, but for this time it was up to the participants to show their songs to the public.

Noise wrote:
30 Mar 2021
- A little comment why the winning selection was made ? We are talking about music and music should have adjectives. ex: What did standout, what motivated me to vote, etc. Somewhat is lacking some analysis and I would like to read about it. Reading about music, and your points of view, would be a nice change instead of reading about complaints :D
I wanted that in the past too. But one drawback would be a lot of discussions about personal opinions, right? And judging here is not objective, even if the judges followed some rules. Its not like the song has 10s in frequency range 1khz-2khz at position 1:30 and so on...
I get that some ppl are a bit disappointed, that their song or favorites didnt made it.
Personally i was quite often surprised, that my songs never won, because i liked them a lot :-D

Noise wrote:
30 Mar 2021
- I would love that this contest was treated like Reason Studio managed the Algoritm presentation. Ryan (for example) could showcase the songs and this contest could turn in one hour event, just imagine this dynamic: people would come to the stream and enjoy music together, also, get a chance to vote, and learn how was it made, just a wasted opportunity here.
I like the idea of making a "show" of the final voting or discussing pieces or having a call with the winners and so on. A public voting which counts 50% would be interesting too. I think we will discuss this and how this can be safe without cheating and so on and also to keep the costs under control.
Reason12, Win10

• Information