Abbey Road's Mrs Mills Piano by Spitfire Audio ($29)

Discuss VST stuff here!
joeyluck

25 Mar 2021

"Really exciting for me to hear Spitfire’s sampling of what we used to call Mrs Mills piano from Abbey Road. It's great to have on my computer” - Sir Paul McCartney

Did Sir Paul ever thank Propellerhead back in the day? Lol I guess he wasn't a Reason user...

So I already have the Mrs. Mills Piano via the Abbey Road Keyboards ReFill, but curious how Spitfire may have captured it differently. The Challen is still my favorite over the Mrs Mills, but this is still a great piano. $29 sounds like an awesome deal considering the piano, the licensing, and the excellent job that Spitfire probably did sampling it.

If you missed out on the Abbey Road Keyboards ReFill and wanted a piece of it, this is worth considering.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/originals ... ills-piano

Billy+

25 Mar 2021

I do love a good piano, there's just something about it :thumbs_up:

joeyluck

26 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
25 Mar 2021
I do love a good piano, there's just something about it :thumbs_up:
Yeah and I don't really need this one, but I'm curious to compare it with the ARK ReFill.

The OPW is also a great piano for $29. A much different, soft piano.
https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/ ... weder-opw/

Spitfire has a good number of pianos available. There's the soft piano that comes free with LABS, Hans Zimmer Piano, OPW, Mrs Mills, Firewood Piano, Cinematic Soft Piano, Felt Piano... Quite a few soft pianos, which are great to have.

Billy+

26 Mar 2021

Found this a few days ago, not sure if it's your cuppa tea? But it's a great listen!

DaveyG

26 Mar 2021

Like any real thing, a piano sound changes over time as the components move, dry, shrink, warp, corrode, stiffen, loosen, crack, whatever so even if you recorded it with the exact same kit as back then (and with the same person playing it!) it will not sound the same. Of course, whether it sounds better or worse is very much a subjective opinion and may well be influenced by how nostalgic you are and by how much you pay for it. :D

mcatalao
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2021

I have to check this in the studio.

I've already used Ms Mills in one song and the challen on a couple of others... so i know this two quite a bit, though most of my stuff does not call for so much grit.

I do prefer the thick, less resonance sound of the challen... It's almost like a pluck.
Man the Abbey Road was an amazing refill. It's a pity RS stopped selling it!

Billy+

26 Mar 2021

Anyone know what setup in Reason suite gets the closest to the Korg M1 piano 8 and 16 presets?

joeyluck

06 Apr 2021

mcatalao wrote:
26 Mar 2021
I have to check this in the studio.

I've already used Ms Mills in one song and the challen on a couple of others... so i know this two quite a bit, though most of my stuff does not call for so much grit.

I do prefer the thick, less resonance sound of the challen... It's almost like a pluck.
Man the Abbey Road was an amazing refill. It's a pity RS stopped selling it!
Yeah it was a licensing thing. They either decided to not renew or didn't have the option to renew.

Cinesamples discontinued their "Abbey Road Classic Upright Pianos" last year, which was the Challen and the Mrs Mills.

• Information