Step Note Recorder II

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

15 Nov 2018

We've just released a 2.0.1 update with some minor tweaks and bug fixes:
  • Notes would hang when changing the sequence length or repeat counts while running
  • Fixed a problem that could cause rare crashes on Windows when recording notes
  • Separated the linked conditions (previous and not previous) from the others in the condition popup menu
  • Rest and Tie buttons now respond to Cmd/Ctrl-clicks
  • Added Remote support for the "Selected Lane" property
  • Fixed graphics bug that could appear when recording Curve 1

stp2015

17 Nov 2018

I really like note step recorder, but I hate how it looks. The colours. As if it was made by someone who is color blind. Can you please make it look as nice as your Euclidian player RE? That is one of the best looking REs on the store. I will buy NoteStep the moment that happens :)

Re8et
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2018

buddard wrote:
12 Nov 2018
Thanks a lot for the feedback, lots of stuff to think about for the future! :puf_smile:

But first I have an update with some minor tweaks and bug fixes in the works + a couple of other projects to tend to. ;)
Buddard, could you take a look here please? Basically I'm guessing on the possibility to add a skip/jump function (blank note) plus rec automation (combinator/cv) to the Step.. :idea: :idea: :idea:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7510248

motuscott

23 Dec 2018

Wow, the Reason Universe is blowing wide open
So's my bank account
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

electrofux

04 Apr 2019

what is the remote item name of "Selected Lane"? I cant find it in the Remote Info

buddard
RE Developer

04 Apr 2019

electrofux wrote:
04 Apr 2019
what is the remote item name of "Selected Lane"? I cant find it in the Remote Info
The remote name is "Selected Lane". :puf_smile:

It's really weird that it doesn't show up in the export (and it doesn't for me either), because you can see it in Remote Override Edit Mode...

Boombastix
Competition Winner

04 Apr 2019

stp2015 wrote:
17 Nov 2018
Can you please make it look as nice as your Euclidian player RE? That is one of the best looking REs on the store. I will buy NoteStep the moment that happens :)
That is a great idea. I hope the do a graphics update. :thumbs_up:
Also, RB, are you going to release the feature requests we discussed a while back. Midi playback modes etc?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

buddard
RE Developer

05 Apr 2019

Boombastix wrote:
04 Apr 2019
stp2015 wrote:
17 Nov 2018
Can you please make it look as nice as your Euclidian player RE? That is one of the best looking REs on the store. I will buy NoteStep the moment that happens :)
That is a great idea. I hope the do a graphics update. :thumbs_up:
Also, RB, are you going to release the feature requests we discussed a while back. Midi playback modes etc?
I'm planning to add some more features to Step in a free update (for owners of Step 2.0) that is hopefully released later this year. I can't get more specific than that right now, simply because I don't know when I'll have the time to begin working on it. :puf_smile:

Regarding a complete visual makeover, that is a huge undertaking and not a viable investment for a product update, I'm afraid.

two shoes

05 Apr 2019

i happen to like the gui in its current state and SNR has become one of my most frequently used REs since the 2.0 update. i'm also a big fan of Resonans. looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for the next update - keep up the good work.

seqoi

06 Apr 2019

For some reason i wasn't even knew this device existed. A miracle. Matrix on steroids.

Does it have "random seed" of notes like Matrix does. I can't find it but it wouldn't be the first time i can't find something in Reason device hehe.

I am not asking for random playback (i see it's there) but random seed of notes like when you are in Matrix and you press "Randomize pattern" - sometimes i am getting quick and usable results from that (when inspiration is stuck).

buddard
RE Developer

06 Apr 2019

seqoi wrote:
06 Apr 2019
For some reason i wasn't even knew this device existed. A miracle. Matrix on steroids.

Does it have "random seed" of notes like Matrix does. I can't find it but it wouldn't be the first time i can't find something in Reason device hehe.

I am not asking for random playback (i see it's there) but random seed of notes like when you are in Matrix and you press "Randomize pattern" - sometimes i am getting quick and usable results from that (when inspiration is stuck).
No, it doesn’t, unfortunately. But you can randomize a pattern in Matrix, and then record it into Step for further manipulation! You can get Step to receive CV/Gate by putting it in a combi and connecting Matrix to its inputs.

electrofux

06 Apr 2019

buddard wrote:
04 Apr 2019
electrofux wrote:
04 Apr 2019

It's really weird that it doesn't show up in the export (and it doesn't for me either), because you can see it in Remote Override Edit Mode...
Is that item working at your side? I have it connected to my modwheel via the remote override but there doesnt seem to change/switch anything.

edit: i get a value of the item Selected Lane into Remote though. But on the output side nothing seems to happen neither with a codec nor through the override system.

seqoi

06 Apr 2019

buddard wrote:
06 Apr 2019
No, it doesn’t, unfortunately. But you can randomize a pattern in Matrix, and then record it into Step for further manipulation! You can get Step to receive CV/Gate by putting it in a combi and connecting Matrix to its inputs.
Thank you! I do not believe I would come up with that idea by myself but when you say it - it sound cool and native to Reason.

Regards

buddard
RE Developer

06 Apr 2019

electrofux wrote:
06 Apr 2019
buddard wrote:
04 Apr 2019

Is that item working at your side? I have it connected to my modwheel via the remote override but there doesnt seem to change/switch anything.

edit: i get a value of the item Selected Lane into Remote though. But on the output side nothing seems to happen neither with a codec nor through the override system.
I've found the problem!

It seems to be an undocumented "feature" in the SDK/Reason related to the property scope.
This problem affects the Remote items "Selected Lanes", "Expand Note View" and "Show Ghost Notes", which will appear in Remote Override Edit Mode, but won't actually work or show up in Remote information export.

If I move these properties to another scope, the Remote objects will start working as expected (I just tried this).
The downside is that lane changes and toggling of the view size and ghost notes will start showing up in the Undo history from now on... But maybe that's not such a big deal?

electrofux

07 Apr 2019

buddard wrote:
06 Apr 2019
electrofux wrote:
06 Apr 2019

I've found the problem!

It seems to be an undocumented "feature" in the SDK/Reason related to the property scope.
This problem affects the Remote items "Selected Lanes", "Expand Note View" and "Show Ghost Notes", which will appear in Remote Override Edit Mode, but won't actually work or show up in Remote information export.

If I move these properties to another scope, the Remote objects will start working as expected (I just tried this).
The downside is that lane changes and toggling of the view size and ghost notes will start showing up in the Undo history from now on... But maybe that's not such a big deal?

From my side that is not a big issue, because there are no sound altering effects resulting from a lane or view switch.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2019

buddard wrote:
05 Apr 2019
Regarding a complete visual makeover, that is a huge undertaking and not a viable investment for a product update, I'm afraid.
Oh, I was merely thinking to change the background image, i.e. Photoshop it. No layout overhaul, just a fast and easy fix, but would make it still look much more similar to Euclidiean. You already changed the knobs to the nicer Euclidiean knobs, so just a simple fix.
The readability with the background shaded midi connector images are quite distracting form the info you try to read.

electrofux

20 Jun 2019

buddard wrote:
06 Apr 2019
electrofux wrote:
06 Apr 2019

I've found the problem!

Has that been fixed?

Edit: just asking because the remote item now shows up in the remote info. But i wasnt able to make it work.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

19 May 2020

Does Step Note Recorder 2 have the Timing Handles like Sequences, so you can move a group of notes around?
If not, was it a planned update (and still in plan)?

buddard
RE Developer

19 May 2020

Boombastix wrote:
19 May 2020
Does Step Note Recorder 2 have the Timing Handles like Sequences, so you can move a group of notes around?
If not, was it a planned update (and still in plan)?
No, Step doesn’t have timing handles, and we’re not planning to add them either.
Step was implemented in a completely different way from Sequences, so unfortunately it’s not possible to add the handles in a way that makes sense for the device as a whole..

lowtom

20 Mar 2021

I just rediscovered SNR II after updating from v.1 and I must say I'm amazed. It's a hidden gem in step sequencing world of Reason.
Big thank you for massive automation and Remote possibilities.
:reason: :refill: :re:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2021

lowtom wrote:
20 Mar 2021
I just rediscovered SNR II after updating from v.1 and I must say I'm amazed. It's a hidden gem in step sequencing world of Reason.
Big thank you for massive automation and Remote possibilities.
Goes really well together with MIDI-CV Converter and Autolatch.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bharris22

24 Mar 2021

I purchased Sequences during the current sale, and am wondering whether SNR II would be too duplicative. What do the owners of this device think?

bidaar

28 Mar 2021

bharris22 wrote:
24 Mar 2021
I purchased Sequences during the current sale, and am wondering whether SNR II would be too duplicative. What do the owners of this device think?
Hey looks like me and you are on the same track I bought Sequences in the march sale , and Im buying Step note recorder 2 too because I think theres enough different functions to have them both like one doesnt even have different pattern support and the other one isnt really modular so Im looking into ways to combine em
Reason 11 Suite l FL Studio l Leaning Ableton n Bitwig l Windows 10 64bit
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

chimp_spanner

29 Mar 2021

I must've asked this before at some point but is there any plan to implement some different playback modes? Like alt/ping pong, random, stochastic, etc. Unless it can already do something like this and I'm being a huge noob!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
29 Mar 2021
I must've asked this before at some point but is there any plan to implement some different playback modes? Like alt/ping pong, random, stochastic, etc. Unless it can already do something like this and I'm being a huge noob!
Noob.... Only kiding....

Yes it does..

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (15.88 KiB) Viewed 2176 times

• Information