The Evergoing entropy regarding the CPU use of our computers

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
fullforce

21 Mar 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
17 Mar 2021
I have a minimal set of software installed on to my PC (Win 10) and I take perfect care of it by deleting the junk-files, defragmenting it etc. Yet it seems to be slower than ever after all these years and some of my songs I created back then, without any glitches, start to crackle now, - when opening and playing them back. My i7 nowadays isn't sometimes fast enough anymore. What is the reason for such an entropy then?
Task manager. Look at it. And defragmenting when you use an SSD is stupid.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

guitfnky

21 Mar 2021

I'm pretty sure Windows automatically defragments anyway. there's really no need to do it manually, regardless whether you have an SSD or not.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Zulalancho

22 Mar 2021

It all depends on the scale of use of the OS, I'm sure many of us do not use even 40% of the functionality embedded in these system

EnochLight

22 Mar 2021

fullforce wrote:
21 Mar 2021
Stupid?

Naaa.. Windows will defrag an SSD once a month if volume snapshots are enabled. This is by design and necessary due to slow volsnap copy on write performance on fragmented SSD volumes. It’s also somewhat of a misconception that fragmentation is not a problem on SSDs. If an SSD gets too fragmented you can hit maximum file fragmentation (when the metadata can’t represent any more file fragments) which will result in errors when you try to write/extend a file. Furthermore, more file fragments means more metadata to process while reading/writing a file, which can lead to slower performance.
guitfnky wrote:
21 Mar 2021
I'm pretty sure Windows automatically defragments anyway. there's really no need to do it manually, regardless whether you have an SSD or not.
^^ THIS ^^
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oquasec

23 Mar 2021

Ideally you wanna get a desktop every 6-8 years.
Or upgrading a custom built every 4 years.
---
If you go the laptop only route I actually recommend not dipping below 1200$ every 8 years.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

23 Mar 2021

Yeah I don't know about that... I've been on the same desktop build for almost 10 years. Ideally you want to build/buy the most powerful computer your budget will allow to get the most mileage out of it, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2021

There is Windows S mode, which I haven't tested yet. Anyone tried it?

EnochLight

23 Mar 2021

aeox wrote:
23 Mar 2021
Windows S mode locks you out of installing any 3rd party programs that aren't sold in the Microsoft Store. it's really meant for schools and other institutions where they don't want their users installing their own stuff on them. Reason won't run on Windows S-mode enabled devices, as it can't be installed on them.

Billy+

23 Mar 2021

lol Microsoft Store Software mode .... "you will run what we say you can run"

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
23 Mar 2021
aeox wrote:
23 Mar 2021
Windows S mode locks you out of installing any 3rd party programs that aren't sold in the Microsoft Store. it's really meant for schools and other institutions where they don't want their users installing their own stuff on them. Reason won't run on Windows S-mode enabled devices, as it can't be installed on them.
Wasted opportunity! That's a shame

BRIGGS

23 Mar 2021

I'd check the task manager for misbehaving apps, that are using CPU cycles.
r11s

EnochLight

23 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
23 Mar 2021
aeox wrote:
23 Mar 2021
I mean, for the use that it is intended - it works great. It serves as an "iOS-like" approach, and keeps things running fast and stable, with virtually no chance of installing malware or anything else that can compromise the device it's running on. My kid's laptop came in Windows-S mode, and it ran like lightening for the 4 months it was running in S-mode. Then they complained that they wanted Chrome and Genshin Impact and blah blah blah, so I switched it to regular Windows 10 "Home". The kid is happy they have all their wares, but the laptop has taken a noticeable hit in performance, mostly because of all of the crap that starts at startup now.

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
23 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
23 Mar 2021
aeox wrote:
23 Mar 2021
I mean, for the use that it is intended - it works great. It serves as an "iOS-like" approach, and keeps things running fast and stable, with virtually no chance of installing malware or anything else that can compromise the device it's running on. My kid's laptop came in Windows-S mode, and it ran like lightening for the 4 months it was running in S-mode. Then they complained that they wanted Chrome and Genshin Impact and blah blah blah, so I switched it to regular Windows 10 "Home". The kid is happy they have all their wares, but the laptop has taken a noticeable hit in performance, mostly because of all of the crap that starts at startup now.
That's cool that it has it's uses.

I also tried Windows Server but was having compatibility issues with apps. I guess I'll stick to manual optimization for now!

Jackjackdaw

24 Mar 2021

Oquasec wrote:
23 Mar 2021
Ideally you wanna get a desktop every 6-8 years.
Or upgrading a custom built every 4 years.
---
If you go the laptop only route I actually recommend not dipping below 1200$ every 8 years.
I buy a £500 Acer laptop every ten years. Does me just fine.

Libraquaricorn

24 Mar 2021

Here is a recently updated guide to optimization for people that are not computer geeks:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... indows-10/

fullforce

24 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Mar 2021
fullforce wrote:
21 Mar 2021
Stupid?
Yes. Stupid.

https://www.crucial.com/articles/about- ... rag-an-ssd

But I'm sure you know BETTER THAN A MANUFACTURER RIGHT?
guitfnky wrote:
21 Mar 2021
^^ THIS ^^
Yeah if you're stupid enough not to change the setting. Man. Headdesking all day long.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Heigen5

24 Mar 2021

I have a SATA drive. But if defragmenting is not needed, will it still harm anything even when doing it? Anyway this whole topic turned to a defragmenting discussion, even that's only an one thing related to a CPU-entropy.

EnochLight

25 Mar 2021

fullforce wrote:
24 Mar 2021
Man. Headdesking all day long.
Careful - closed head trauma isn't good! :lol:

On a serious note, there are instances where defragging an SSD is optimal:

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/the-real ... t-your-ssd

But I'd imagine if you don't use volume snapshots, it's probably not a thing.

fullforce

30 Mar 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
24 Mar 2021
I have a SATA drive. But if defragmenting is not needed, will it still harm anything even when doing it? Anyway this whole topic turned to a defragmenting discussion, even that's only an one thing related to a CPU-entropy.
Defragmenting is, periodically, a good thing for regular conventional sata drives with spinning platters. Absolutely useless for an SSD drive, sata or not.

Heigen5

30 Mar 2021

fullforce wrote:
30 Mar 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
24 Mar 2021
Defragmenting is, periodically, a good thing for regular conventional sata drives with spinning platters. Absolutely useless for an SSD drive, sata or not.
I have no SSD drives atm. My next PC buildup will have though.

fullforce

02 Apr 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
30 Mar 2021
fullforce wrote:
30 Mar 2021

If you run Windows 10 (I assume you do) you can just buy an SSD, clone your existing drive to it, and boot it up. And enjoy about 1000% increase in speed.

Heigen5

02 Apr 2021

fullforce wrote:
02 Apr 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
30 Mar 2021

If you run Windows 10 (I assume you do) you can just buy an SSD, clone your existing drive to it, and boot it up. And enjoy about 1000% increase in speed.
You mean my Reason projects would also get 1000% speed-boost then?

integerpoet

02 Apr 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
02 Apr 2021
fullforce wrote:
02 Apr 2021
1000% might not be precisely correct. :-) But the jump from HDD to SSD is quite striking. In many ways it feels like buying a computer from a few years in the future.

Heigen5

02 Apr 2021

integerpoet wrote:
02 Apr 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
02 Apr 2021

1000% might not be precisely correct. :-) But the jump from HDD to SSD is quite striking. In many ways it feels like buying a computer from a few years in the future.
Ok, well that's a good news. I might buy one then. Thanks for the TIP guys. :puf_smile:

EnochLight

03 Apr 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
02 Apr 2021
fullforce wrote:
02 Apr 2021

On a serious note, this is what upgrading to an SSD from an old mechanical hard drive will do:

- make your computer boot faster from a full shut down
- make your computer restart faster when needed
- make programs that are installed on it launch faster
- write/read data much faster
- make your computer “feel” faster in general
- read/write data to your RAM faster
- eliminate noise that you’d normally hear when your mechanical hard drive platters spin up and read/write data
- usually use slightly less power than an old mechanical hard drive

What it won’t do:

- have any affect on your CPU performance or programs that utilize your CPU

• Information