Tribute 1.1

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Speo
RE Developer

23 Mar 2021

Hello there! I am back with Tribute 1.1. There's tons of bug fixes, an external audio input, fractal envelopes, new patches and wavetables courtesy of some of the awesome beta testers, and a fresh look for the front panel.

Since 1.1 is quite a departure from the original look of Tribute, I'm running a promotion where if you bought Tribute 1.0, you are eligible to get my next RE for free! Simply email me (speomusic@gmail.com) the receipt of your Tribute 1.0 purchase and your Reason Studios username, and you'll automatically get my next RE for free the day it is released. Sorry if you liked the 1.0 look, hope this makes up for it. Also, some of the original look is still there in 1.1, if you know where to scratch.

Thank you for all the feedback on 1.0. Let me know any thoughts you might have on 1.1!

Loque

23 Mar 2021

Reason12, Win10

deeplink
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2021

Congratulations Speo - this one is a beast!
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Speo
RE Developer

23 Mar 2021

Loque wrote:
23 Mar 2021
and here is the link: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/
Thanks, forgot about that! By the way, anybody checking out the update should definitely take a look in the Combinators/Pads folder and load up a Pad with the -LQ suffix, Loque made some magic there!

Thanks for the props!

Mataya

23 Mar 2021

Uh...the interface to me looked much better in version 1. Sorry, I have to say it. Is there an option to choose a skin or something?

M

joeyluck

23 Mar 2021

Speo wrote:
23 Mar 2021
Loque wrote:
23 Mar 2021
Thanks, forgot about that! By the way, anybody checking out the update should definitely take a look in the Combinators/Pads folder and load up a Pad with the -LQ suffix, Loque made some magic there!

Thanks for the props!
Yes! Awesome patches! :clap:

Also, it's more than just a fresh look of the front panel, but also larger and more accessible. The mod window (mods, matrix, macros) in particular is not only taller, but wider too :thumbup:

joeyluck

23 Mar 2021

Mataya wrote:
23 Mar 2021
Uh...the interface to me looked much better in version 1. Sorry, I have to say it. Is there an option to choose a skin or something?

M
I liked ver 1 as well, but 1.1 has grown on me :-)
I mostly only miss the old knobs, but I like these too!

The new functionality is awesome and the larger bottom portion is really great.

Having skin options on REs is clunky because it's not officially supported and with the workaround, the skins save with the patches. It can be pretty jarring having the skin change as you browse patches and the skin you prefer won't stick. Until Reason supports skin options or has a way to lock a skin per session at least, it might not be the best solution.

Did you see the offer about getting the next Speo RE for free if you had purchased ver 1?

Loque

23 Mar 2021

Speo wrote:
23 Mar 2021
Loque wrote:
23 Mar 2021

Thanks for the props!
Thanks for the flowers! Inviting and inspiring synth with its own character! Loved to make the patches!

And now everybody can use the many filters with any source and use external modulators! Great stuff with own wavetables!
Reason12, Win10

Speo
RE Developer

23 Mar 2021

Mataya wrote:
23 Mar 2021

M
joeyluck answered this thoroughly above, thanks. Once skin support is a thing in Reason, the original color scheme will be back. Until then I am sorry to disappoint - please make use of the offer for Tribute 1.0 buyers!

Mataya

23 Mar 2021

Not really a big problem for me. I just think it's a pretty big change in GUI, but I don't see it as being nicer. To be exact, the colors. I liked the distinction between synth parts and now it reminds me of Expanse(which I also don't like in terms of Gui and colors) or some DNA labs stuff. Sorry, I just don't like how they look.
I like some aspects of a new design, but not the wall of black and everything else as green. That's it. Just an opinion.
I still think it's a great synth, on of the best here, so hopefully colors won't be something that important for others.

tx
M

Speo
RE Developer

23 Mar 2021

Mataya wrote:
23 Mar 2021
Not really a big problem for me. I just think it's a pretty big change in GUI, but I don't see it as being nicer. To be exact, the colors. I liked the distinction between synth parts and now it reminds me of Expanse(which I also don't like in terms of Gui and colors) or some DNA labs stuff. Sorry, I just don't like how they look.
I like some aspects of a new design, but not the wall of black and everything else as green. That's it. Just an opinion.
I still think it's a great synth, on of the best here, so hopefully colors won't be something that important for others.

tx
M
Appreciate the feedback, and I get where you're coming from. I hope the new look has some unique features that still set it apart, even though the color scheme is not as eye catching. That was the goal.

dusan.cani

23 Mar 2021

Hi Speo !

I really really LIKE your synth because its sound is brilliant and synthesis concept with all its functions is very cool. I bought your synth because I really love how it sounds and I want to support your work. I appreciate your efforts, but...

...sorry again, the UI design has still major drawbacks for me. The colors are relatively OK. I am glad that you got rid of that brown fuzzy texture. But those knob markers are horrible ugly:

knobs.PNG
knobs.PNG (42.3 KiB) Viewed 5315 times

Why the markers are skewed ? It feels very unnatural, confusing and weird. When I am turning knob around, they look ugly. The markers don't emphasize the knob position. Why does the knob have double borders ? The whole knob design feels like random collage of graphic elements. There is no sense/point/logic in that aesthetics. The smaller knobs have also the markers skewed but in opposite direction:

knobs2.PNG
knobs2.PNG (44.22 KiB) Viewed 5315 times

What is the purpose of this inconsistency ? And what is the purpose of that "spread" knob throwed away when unused and animated when filter doesn't use "spread" ? Why did you use this triangular "glow" on displays ?

glow.PNG
glow.PNG (127.29 KiB) Viewed 5315 times

It looks weird, it distracts the design.

There are so many ways how to make simple, beautiful and functional knob design. But you always choose some weird and unfamiliar aesthetics...You are very talented DSP programmer. But isn't better option to leave the UI graphic design for someone else who is talented in that area ? I would pay you an extra money if you hire some graphics designer to make UI design for Tribute :mrgreen:

But I am grateful for new additions in the update:

- "Fractal" feature is very cool tool for envelope shapes
- I appreciate the bigger Mod Matrix display and arrows for filter selection. It's much more comfortable to design the sounds now.
- I like the new wavetables with "LQ" suffix
- Thumbs up for external input. Filters sound great, so ability to feed external audio through them is big bonus.

I have also question about small inconsistency. When controling the "tempo" parameter for Envelope, the direction for value changing is inverted. Logic says that if I move the mouse up I want to increase the value and vice versa. This is also how "a curve" and "d curve" parameters behave. So inverted behaviour for "tempo" parameter is confusing.

And last question - how is it possible to set "stepped" modulation curve ? I mean square based curve.

joeyluck

23 Mar 2021

The 5 big knobs have displays on them. They're expensive! :-)
dusan.cani wrote:
23 Mar 2021
The markers don't emphasize the knob position.
I don't quite understand this statement. The markers definitely emphasize the knob position. I had no problem understanding the position on the original knobs, but these seem much more emphasized.
dusan.cani wrote:
23 Mar 2021
Why does the knob have double borders ? The whole knob design feels like random collage of graphic elements. There is no sense/point/logic in that aesthetics.
They don't have double borders. When I look at them I see a single, thin rim around the knobs and then the knobs are sitting inside insets.
dusan.cani wrote:
23 Mar 2021
And what is the purpose of that "spread" knob throwed away when unused and animated when filter doesn't use "spread" ?
It's really fun! A nice easter egg of sorts and a really cool animation :thumbup:

dusan.cani wrote:
23 Mar 2021
Why did you use this triangular "glow" on displays ?

glow.PNG
Shiny! Maybe it needs a few fingerprints? :D
dusan.cani wrote:
23 Mar 2021
There are so many ways how to make simple, beautiful and functional knob design. But you always choose some weird and unfamiliar aesthetics...
It's unique! I appreciate the last GUI and this one—I really like the look of both. I think both GUIs have been unique and refreshing. It gets pretty boring seeing many of the same GUI elements used on REs.

I'm impressed that Speo redid the entire GUI, but still managed to make it his own and keep it unique :clap:

hurricane
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2021

I like the new look, prefer it to V1, but it looks a bit generic, and why is Teal like every developer's favorite color???? Teal is so Windows 95. Down with teal forever, I say.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

dusan.cani

23 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
23 Mar 2021
dusan.cani wrote:
23 Mar 2021
The markers don't emphasize the knob position.
I don't quite understand this statement. The markers definitely emphasize the knob position. I had no problem understanding the position on the original knobs, but these seem much more emphasized.
I do see the knob position clearly. But the marker does not correspond to its purpose because of the shape. Every shape evokes some logic in certain context. In this case, small triangular marker pointing out of the knob or just straight line emphasizes overall design functionality of the knob. But weird trapezoid ? It looks and feels unpleasant because it breaks bond between the whole design logic of the knob. That shape has no sense, no meaning, it's out of the context of this design.

joeyluck wrote:
23 Mar 2021
Shiny! Maybe it needs a few fingerprints? :D
Perhaps it needs a less overcomplications like that :puf_smile:

zoidkirb

23 Mar 2021

Congrats on the release. Looks killer and more importantly sounds killer. But the best thing about it is the workflow. Simple to get a patch going but you can go deep with it too.
No element seems unnecessary and the physical and the CPU footprint is small, so you can comfortably lay out 30 Tribute's in the rack. Which is something I value with Reason and something like Tribute, rather than something like Serum or Vital.

joeyluck

23 Mar 2021

dusan.cani wrote:
23 Mar 2021
joeyluck wrote:
23 Mar 2021

I do see the knob position clearly. But the marker does not correspond to its purpose because of the shape. Every shape evokes some logic in certain context. In this case, small triangular marker pointing out of the knob or just straight line emphasizes overall design functionality of the knob. But weird trapezoid ? It looks and feels unpleasant because it breaks bond between the whole design logic of the knob. That shape has no sense, no meaning, it's out of the context of this design.
I guess I still don't see the issue. Whether it's a line, a dot, or whatever, it's a visual aid to indicate the position of the knob. It could be a dashed line, a lightning bolt, a finger pointing, etc. The shape of it doesn't have to conform to some boring norm or have significant meaning. It serves to tell you at a glance the position of the knob. You hover the mouse over any control to get a tool tip and value.

Thinking about it though, maybe it should be lightning bolts! And since they are knobs with displays, maybe they can have the percentage always displayed in the center to really drive home the display aspect 🤔

I like these and I liked the first knobs as well. Those were fun and very unique and the knob positions were still clear to me.

rorystorm

24 Mar 2021

So, how do you use the audio inputs now? I'd kinda assumed that you could use the filters and so on in Tribute to process an incoming audio signal from another device but I can't see how to do that. Although maybe I'm blind. Or stupid. Or both. But instead I can only seem to use it as a modulation source (although this is also pretty interesting).

I really like the GUI by the way, looks pretty great to me. The decoupling spread knob is excellent.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2021

rorystorm wrote:
24 Mar 2021
So, how do you use the audio inputs now? I'd kinda assumed that you could use the filters and so on in Tribute to process an incoming audio signal from another device but I can't see how to do that. Although maybe I'm blind. Or stupid. Or both. But instead I can only seem to use it as a modulation source (although this is also pretty interesting).

I really like the GUI by the way, looks pretty great to me. The decoupling spread knob is excellent.
Check the Ext box at the bottom.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Speo
RE Developer

24 Mar 2021

Thanks for the props and the feedback guys!
dusan.cani wrote:
23 Mar 2021
...sorry again, the UI design has still major drawbacks for me.
And last question - how is it possible to set "stepped" modulation curve ? I mean square based curve.
I appreciate you taking the time to outline your issues with the GUI. My goal with Tribute 1.1 was to make a GUI that isn't too in-your-face but it's still fun and looks cool. I'm happy with the outcome. I still value your feedback. For a stepped modulation curve, set one envelope's hold control to 100%, then use it repeatedly in a mod with different values for the upper parameter in the mod element.
joeyluck wrote:
23 Mar 2021
Thinking about it though, maybe it should be lightning bolts! And since they are knobs with displays, maybe they can have the percentage always displayed in the center to really drive home the display aspect 🤔
Joey's comments on the GUI completely reflect my intentions! I like this idea. Probably won't touch Tribute's GUI for a little while unless there is a problem, but maybe there'll be some lightning bolts in the next device!
hurricane wrote:
23 Mar 2021
I like the new look, prefer it to V1, but it looks a bit generic, and why is Teal like every developer's favorite color???? Teal is so Windows 95. Down with teal forever, I say.
I'm going down with teal!!
rorystorm wrote:
24 Mar 2021
So, how do you use the audio inputs now?
As MrFigg said, there's the "Ext" checkbox to the bottom of the filter display. When you enable that, the audio input will be routed to the selected filter and then out of Tribute.

rorystorm

24 Mar 2021

Doh, thanks!

Loque

24 Mar 2021

rorystorm wrote:
24 Mar 2021

Dont forget, that you can FM internal wavetables with external signals. Even eXpanse cannot do this (yet?).
Reason12, Win10

rorystorm

24 Mar 2021

Interesting!

Jackjackdaw

24 Mar 2021

I think this dev gets waaay too much grief over his ui design! The old and the new both look great mate.

Speo
RE Developer

24 Mar 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
24 Mar 2021
I think this dev gets waaay too much grief over his ui design! The old and the new both look great mate.
Appreciate that a lot! I like to have fun on the GUI, it's like a little treat for getting through the DSP and general housekeeping.

I try to keep in mind that negative feedback doesn't necessarily mean I made a mistake, but also be ready to admit when I've made a bad call.

• Information