(Synthwave/Chiptune) Deep Dive

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
zoidkirb

21 Mar 2021

I made this track 100% with Ekssperimental Sounds new additive/FM synth .
Only extra FX used were Pulverizer and Couture (transient shaper) to help out with the drums.
I crafted all patches myself from the basic sine init.
If you like unique synths, and the idea of a surprisingly easy to use additive and FM hybrid, give it a go!

strangers
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2021

Fun song. Takes me back to the early game days. The only thing I wasn't too big on is the snare. Sounds a little too modern with the rest of the elements.

zoidkirb

22 Mar 2021

strangers wrote:
22 Mar 2021
Fun song. Takes me back to the early game days. The only thing I wasn't too big on is the snare. Sounds a little too modern with the rest of the elements.
Thanks man!
Yeah the snare I just couldn't get right. It was either too prominent or too buried.

If I go further towards chiptune in the future I'll work up a more simple noise based snare sound.

raymondh

23 Mar 2021

Nice job - cool chiptune.

Synthesizing drums is not very easy! Only suggestion with the snare would be some gated reverb. But as you say, that will take more space in the mix.

zoidkirb

23 Mar 2021

raymondh wrote:
23 Mar 2021
Nice job - cool chiptune.

Synthesizing drums is not very easy! Only suggestion with the snare would be some gated reverb. But as you say, that will take more space in the mix.
Thanks!
That's actually great advice. I've been hearing gated snares my whole life and think I understand the process to make one I just never got around to making one myself.
I'm not super worried about genre classification at this point but if I was then at least the gated snare would definitely belong in synthwave.

• Information