Speakers with a built in sleep mode

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Jagwah

20 Mar 2021

I've owned a pair of third generation KRK Rokit 5s for a few years now. They do their job just fine for me, and can be cranked like a mofo when wanted too.

I was going to title the thread 'never buy speakers with a sleep mode' but I figure some people have a need for them.

For me the 'sleep mode' of these speakers, which is basically a certain dB threshold that must be passed in order to activate the speakers has always been a pain. On the flip side the threshold that gets passed to deactivate the speakers is also a pain.

Sometimes when trying to activate them I have to try different sources because maybe there is a problem I haven't found when not successfully passing that threshold. Basically I have to get an annoying loud burst of sound to get them activated that I immediately attenuate, and that is lame and unprofessional not that it really matters, it's just lame though. Also, as these speakers are in my bedroom, at night sometimes I want something quiet, and well if it's too quiet according to the speakers built in threshold, they are conveniently switched off for me : /

I can only assume the benefit would be if your speakers were hard to get to and you wanted them constantly powered and automatically activated via a threshold. This also leaves the backlit KRK logos permanently activated.

Anyone else have experience with speakers like this?

guitfnky

20 Mar 2021

I use the 4th gen KRK 5-inch version, which also have this feature, although it's never really been a problem for me—even though I don't mix at very high levels. but I can see why it might be a pain in the ass for some.

maybe try this:
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Jagwah

20 Mar 2021

guitfnky wrote:
20 Mar 2021
maybe try this:
Wow that solution means there is a significant 10Hz signal constantly running in the background, I wonder how that would affect doing sensitive audio work. I am pretty used to it after years of using them like this but it is really nice to know other people found it annoying even to the point of creating solutions, thanks for sharing.

guitfnky

20 Mar 2021

Jagwah wrote:
20 Mar 2021
guitfnky wrote:
20 Mar 2021
maybe try this:
Wow that solution means there is a significant 10Hz signal constantly running in the background, I wonder how that would affect doing sensitive audio work. I am pretty used to it after years of using them like this but it is really nice to know other people found it annoying even to the point of creating solutions, thanks for sharing.
👍🏼 no problem. it’s well-below audible range and I don’t think it’s constant (I think it was every half hour or so?), but yeah, maybe worth a shot. hope it works out.

TheDragonborg

20 Mar 2021

I'm really glad that my LSR305s are 'dumb' speakers with power switches only.

Billy+

20 Mar 2021

TheDragonborg wrote:
20 Mar 2021
I'm really glad that my LSR305s are 'dumb' speakers with power switches only.
I was never into speakers that did other things and actually prefer to mix and master using my headphones but over the past few years I've been thinking about getting dsp enabled speakers that do room acoustic detection.

https://www.krkmusic.com/Headphones/KNS-8400

Fotu

21 Mar 2021

I had Rokits for a while and despised them for the stupid sleep feature. Replaced them.
It's hard for me to imagine the product manager's conversation... "yea, a sleep feature for studio monitor speakers... great idea!"

guitfnky

21 Mar 2021

I'm oddly surprised that so many people seem to dislike this feature so much. like I said, I can see why it could be annoying in certain cases, but how low do people tend to listen? I listen at pretty low volumes most of the time, but I've never had a case where my speakers wouldn't turn back on when I'm listening, and never had them turn off unexpectedly. I like the fact that I'm using less power when I'm not on the computer (my prior monitors didn't have this feature, and were essentially on for more than 10 years straight :shock: ).

they really should add a switch or menu option for it though--most of the comments I've seen online have been negative, and it doesn't make sense to not even give the option not to use a feature many don't like. besides, it's their electric bill. :? :lightbulb:

TheDragonborg

21 Mar 2021

Electric bill? I just switch mine off when I'm not using them.

guitfnky

21 Mar 2021

TheDragonborg wrote:
21 Mar 2021
not always easy, depending on speaker design/placement. it was always a hassle, so I just left mine on all the time.

TheDragonborg

21 Mar 2021

guitfnky wrote:
21 Mar 2021
TheDragonborg wrote:
21 Mar 2021
not always easy, depending on speaker design/placement. it was always a hassle, so I just left mine on all the time.
I have mine plugged into a sequential power strip so when I want to turn them off I just press a button.

Fotu

22 Mar 2021

guitfnky wrote:
21 Mar 2021
... I've never had a case where my speakers wouldn't turn back on when I'm listening, and never had them turn off unexpectedly. ...
For me the issue was not as you state, but rather: While composing with a DAW, you spend some time in activities that don't involve sound generation (DAW editing, lyrics, browsing, whatever), and the speakers auto-shut off. Then you start the DAW rolling again (or anything else you want to hear) and the first part of whatever is played is silent while waiting for the speakers to turn back on. Rewind, restart audio. It's just a useless workflow speedbump.

The stoic's benefit of getting different monitors after having used Rokits for a few years: Now when I do something that makes sound, I experience some tiny appreciative joy that I actually hear it from the start. :-)

guitfnky

22 Mar 2021

Fotu wrote:
22 Mar 2021
guitfnky wrote:
21 Mar 2021
... I've never had a case where my speakers wouldn't turn back on when I'm listening, and never had them turn off unexpectedly. ...
For me the issue was not as you state, but rather: While composing with a DAW, you spend some time in activities that don't involve sound generation (DAW editing, lyrics, browsing, whatever), and the speakers auto-shut off. Then you start the DAW rolling again (or anything else you want to hear) and the first part of whatever is played is silent while waiting for the speakers to turn back on. Rewind, restart audio. It's just a useless workflow speedbump.

The stoic's benefit of getting different monitors after having used Rokits for a few years: Now when I do something that makes sound, I experience some tiny appreciative joy that I actually hear it from the start. :-)
gotcha, that makes sense. I almost never have more than a couple of minutes of audio “downtime” in my workflow, so I guess it makes sense that it’s not something I’m likely to encounter.

it is definitely a (very minor) annoyance when starting up a project for the first time, but I’ve already gotten used to it, and know to expect they’ll take a couple of seconds to turn on once there’s audio playing.

• Information