Connected devices + Automation housed in the same track

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
deeplink
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2021

I've been watching some videos of Ableton, and I think its really neat and tidy that things like Instrument Parameters, Insert Effects, Mixer Volume, Aux Send automation etc. are all housed within the same track.

It's difficult trying to manage the same thing in Reason, where your instrument, effect device and mix channel settings each have their own track... and moving and managing all three is quite difficult. It would be great if these things are grouped together and can be selected + moved in one go.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2021

deeplink wrote:
21 Mar 2021
I've been watching some videos of Ableton, and I think its really neat and tidy that things like Instrument Parameters, Insert Effects, Mixer Volume, Aux Send automation etc. are all housed within the same track.

It's difficult trying to manage the same thing in Reason, where your instrument, effect device and mix channel settings each have their own track... and moving and managing all three is quite difficult. It would be great if these things are grouped together and can be selected + moved in one go.
Combi?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

deeplink
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2021

MrFigg wrote:
21 Mar 2021
Combi?
I get what you saying, but that a lot of extra steps to do something that can be achieved with one click in other softwares.
i.e First combine, then programme the macro, then automate.
Also you can't combi a mix channel and assigned macro to things like aux sends etc.
Also you will need a separate track for the original instrument if you want to use your control surface for programming/automation.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2021

deeplink wrote:
21 Mar 2021
MrFigg wrote:
21 Mar 2021
Combi?
I get what you saying, but that a lot of extra steps to do something that can be achieved with one click in other softwares.
i.e First combine, then programme the macro, then automate.
Also you can't combi a mix channel and assigned macro to things like aux sends etc.
Also you will need a separate track for the original instrument if you want to use your control surface for programming/automation.
Ah! Right!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

zoidkirb

21 Mar 2021

It's all kind of a mess on the sequencer page. Can't keep all your parameters in one container, can't group all your bits and pieces together in a folder, can't move things around to place for example all of your pattern automation tracks together because they want to drag around bits that are linked in the rack. It's like the worst of all worlds in terms of keeping neat.

guitfnky

21 Mar 2021

I historically haven't had too much trouble keeping track of automation in Reason, but I've been needing a lot more automation for the full band recordings I've been working on—and frankly, it's a bit of a nightmare. I like to work quickly, and often flit from thing to thing as stuff catches my ear. if I work that way with automation, I end up with shit strewn randomly all over the track list, which makes finding it later a huge pain in the ass. at least it's forced me into the habit of naming my automation tracks, so that's...good?

I ported a couple of songs recorded in Reason into Ableton early in the process (i.e. raw drum tracks and scratch tracks for everything else), and my god, the workflow—all of it—is night and day, compared to Reason. it's a godsend to always know where my automation is, and you can still move that stuff to separate automation lanes for a more Reason-like workflow, if you want.

really hope R12 gives us some badly-needed organization improvements.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information