What would make you consider Reason+ sub?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What would make you consider Reason+ sub?

Exclusive DAW features
4%
Inclusion of 3rd party REs
7%
Inclusion of Refills
3%
Partial rent-to-own (i.e. % of sub payments accrue as store credit)
17%
Tiered price (e.g. 10 for just the DAW, 15 DAW+REs, 20 DAW+REs+sound packs)
7%
Lower price altogether
14%
Nothing. I would never use Reason+
48%

Total votes: 306
gullum

14 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Mar 2021

I typically buy perpetual licenses, but I do really like the flow of content.

And as an existing Reason user, with Reason's simple and inexpensive upgrade path ($129 from any version), that does make it a little easier to consider a subscription. It's not like some other DAWs that have upgrade tiers, where coming from older versions costs more to upgrade to the latest.

So if subscribing to Reason+ and then deciding later on that you want to move back to a perpetual license with Reason 13 or whatever, you won't have fallen off some upgrade path benefit, as it will still only cost you $129 to get your perpetual license up to date (assuming nothing changes there). Sure you might think about the money put into the subscription, and that doesn't get you the RS RE licenses, but it does get you up to date with the DAW at an inexpensive price.

And I think a point system and a better rewards system would help to alleviate most concerns with the future. You could then use those points to buy REs, Reason, whatever. IMO there shouldn't be a need for a rewards shop or vouchers for this. Points could simply be used in the shop for Reason or any RS RE. On the shop page for Algoritm, it would say Buy for $100, or Buy for 100 points...or whatever it is.
if you instead set aside $10 every month or even $5 you have enough for the $129 upgrade price every 2 year, you will still get latest fixes and version 1-4 up until next paid upgrade, of course your not getting all devices and packs, but you can use reason always even offline. You just buy the RE's that you are going to use

Billy+

14 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
13 Mar 2021
I've been racking my brain for weeks now thinking of a reason that would get me to subscribe and no matter what I come up with I still can't ever see myself using a software subscription service.

I'm really not interested in getting extra devices every quarter.
I'm really not interested in getting daily content packs.
I'm definitely not interested in getting regular video tutorials.

I'm finding it easier accepting that my consumption of Reason is drawing to a conclusion than I'm going to see standalone features that I would be willing to pay for....

Anyone else getting to that point?
joeyluck wrote:
13 Mar 2021

I typically buy perpetual licenses, but I do really like the flow of content.

And as an existing Reason user, with Reason's simple and inexpensive upgrade path ($129 from any version), that does make it a little easier to consider a subscription. It's not like some other DAWs that have upgrade tiers, where coming from older versions costs more to upgrade to the latest.

So if subscribing to Reason+ and then deciding later on that you want to move back to a perpetual license with Reason 13 or whatever, you won't have fallen off some upgrade path benefit, as it will still only cost you $129 to get your perpetual license up to date (assuming nothing changes there). Sure you might think about the money put into the subscription, and that doesn't get you the RS RE licenses, but it does get you up to date with the DAW at an inexpensive price.

And I think a point system and a better rewards system would help to alleviate most concerns with the future. You could then use those points to buy REs, Reason, whatever. IMO there shouldn't be a need for a rewards shop or vouchers for this. Points could simply be used in the shop for Reason or any RS RE. On the shop page for Algoritm, it would say Buy for $100, or Buy for 100 points...or whatever it is.

Actually I generally upgraded out of loyalty and V11 suite bundle was such a discount I just couldn't turn it down even though I was going to due to the standalone features not necessarily being the ones I wanted and although I had quite a few of the devices it was still a good price so I did.

but if the next major upgrade is not going to focus on DAW features I'm thinking I might as well just cut my losses and take advantage of RRP inside another DAW which kinda makes me think it's pointless to buy anything else for the rack..........

EnochLight

14 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
14 Mar 2021
but if the next major upgrade is not going to focus on DAW features I'm thinking I might as well just cut my losses and take advantage of RRP inside another DAW which kinda makes me think it's pointless to buy anything else for the rack..........
It seems like you've talked yourself into what you need to do. For the record, I don't expect any future Reason upgrade to focus on core DAW features to an extent that will ever satisfy us standalone users enough, so it's best not get your hopes up IMHO. Guess the question is: will the new features that are added be enough to keep you inside of Reason? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ At ay rate, 2021 should be interesting in Reason-land! :-)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

14 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
14 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
14 Mar 2021
It seems like you've talked yourself into what you need to do. For the record, I don't expect any future Reason upgrade to focus on core DAW features to an extent that will ever satisfy us standalone users enough, so it's best not get your hopes up IMHO. Guess the question is: will the new features that are added be enough to keep you inside of Reason? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ At ay rate, 2021 should be interesting in Reason-land! :-)
Agree. From what we currently know, we might see the UI update in R12 and this focus on both, the DAW (Rack) and RRP. This can give a small hint, where RS make their priorities in the near future and its what i would do if i were CEO, not if i am the customer as i am.

I saw a lot of features in the past repeated in all those endless discussions and i dont think i need many of them, maybe just a few, but i can live quite good without the most features. But what i really need is help to organize bigger projects, in the sequencer and in the rack. VST3 will probably be the next big deal, since some devs start to trop VST2 support.

What i really dont need, is more content in any direction - as i said...hmmm....at R10? Yea, it was R10 with that weird slogan...

Currently i am even not sure, if i would upgrade for the Hires UI only, even i really appreciate it.
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

14 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
14 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
14 Mar 2021
I've spent the day watching Live users trying to get my head into moving in that direction, I initially was looking at Logic but I'm still a little sceptical about the M1 and the constant pressure applied to developers to drop support in favour of the next os.

The only problem I've got is that I really don't feel inspired by the interface, I guess I will have to wait for lockdown to be over so I can get my brother to give me some lessons as he's used Live for nearly as long as I've used Reason.

It's a very unfortunate situation to be in but it's looking more like Reason Studios wants us to use other DAW's and I guess it's never a bad thing to learn something new, it's just unfortunate that the money I had set aside for Reason could potentially be spent on a competitor

I think I can hold off till later in the year but I'm guessing that if I go that direction then I won't be interested in future developments/updates as it would ultimately be pointless.

Billy+

14 Mar 2021

Loque wrote:
14 Mar 2021
EnochLight wrote:
14 Mar 2021

Agree. From what we currently know, we might see the UI update in R12 and this focus on both, the DAW (Rack) and RRP. This can give a small hint, where RS make their priorities in the near future and its what i would do if i were CEO, not if i am the customer as i am.

I saw a lot of features in the past repeated in all those endless discussions and i dont think i need many of them, maybe just a few, but i can live quite good without the most features. But what i really need is help to organize bigger projects, in the sequencer and in the rack. VST3 will probably be the next big deal, since some devs start to trop VST2 support.

What i really dont need, is more content in any direction - as i said...hmmm....at R10? Yea, it was R10 with that weird slogan...

Currently i am even not sure, if i would upgrade for the Hires UI only, even i really appreciate it.
Yeah I can't say that hi res was something that I've even considered, I'm running a plus 30 inch screen at 1920x1080 and that's more than acceptable, im not sure having a higher resolution would even work - it feels more like a gimmick than a usability requirement.

tronam

14 Mar 2021

I doubt anyone who spends a good amount of time with a high resolution, crystal clear, 60fps Reason UI will call it a gimmick in the end.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

joeyluck

14 Mar 2021

Yeah hi res graphics is not at the top of my list of most needed features, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy it and being able to zoom in the rack.

That said, when something is currently the most requested feature, it's hard to call it a gimmick rather than say that it is answering the call.

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
13 Mar 2021
I've been racking my brain for weeks now thinking of a reason that would get me to subscribe and no matter what I come up with I still can't ever see myself using a software subscription service.

I'm really not interested in getting extra devices every quarter.
I'm really not interested in getting daily content packs.
I'm definitely not interested in getting regular video tutorials.

I'm finding it easier accepting that my consumption of Reason is drawing to a conclusion than I'm going to see standalone features that I would be willing to pay for....

Anyone else getting to that point?
Me.

After 20 years of DAWs I can see through the hype.

We don't need any upgrades - only bug fixes.

We don't need any new plugins or sound packs - they've already been created. If you think you need something new, just go look for something old you don't already have. Just pretend it's new (nobody else will notice).

Don't get me wrong, there are a few key areas Reason needs to improve (VST MIDI, and being able to send to specific MIDI channels).

Whatever the case is, Reason is 1000 times better than it was in 2002 when I started using it, and back then it was pretty awesome.

While upgrades are cool, and I welcome them, I just don't have a sense of lack. Algoritm, Complex and Friktion are awesome. Sure. But I've accumulated so much gold over the last few decades that I'm not feeling pretty comfy.

Maybe this is why they all need to continually appeal to new users to keep themselves going.

antic604

15 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
14 Mar 2021
...The only problem I've got is that I really don't feel inspired by the interface...
How you feel about Bitwig Studio? ;)

Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

EnochLight

15 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
14 Mar 2021
I've spent the day watching Live users trying to get my head into moving in that direction
Hahah - I first read this as the Akai MPC Live, and I was about to say - GO FOR IT! :lol: (though rumor is the Akai Force is about to get an absolute mountain of an update that will blow the competition out of the water).. :clap: I own both, though - so I may be biased..

But yeah, Ableton Live is an interesting DAW.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

R303

16 Mar 2021

Question is also, what could improve the RRP now?
The biggest part is done IMO.

I don't want to use RRP because I wish a central workstation with only just a few external plug-ins (VST).
And I don’t know if I will take some plug-ins like Vanguard to the next setup again.

So the consequence is I can't open some older projects. Bitwig is great but than I need two DAWs. R is too expensive to just use it as a VST3.

joeyluck

16 Mar 2021

R303 wrote:
16 Mar 2021
Question is also, what could improve the RRP now?
The biggest part is done IMO.
There's plenty of improvements I'd like to see happen to the rack in general. But it's mostly things that everyone benefits from. Such as cable handling; double-click to create cable connections and highlighting possible connections.

An improved browser would also benefit everyone, including RRP users, as well as improved graphics. VST support in the RRP would be awesome.

Billy+

16 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
16 Mar 2021
VST support in the RRP would be awesome.
Full VST support in Reason standalone would be better :o

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2021

antic604 wrote:
15 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
14 Mar 2021
...The only problem I've got is that I really don't feel inspired by the interface...
How you feel about Bitwig Studio? ;)

I've not looked at Bitwig since its first release but had always been looking forwards to its modular tools. I'm assuming its grid is more flexible than Reason's routing but less complicated than Reaktor core?

Definitely something worth checking out

Jagwah

23 Mar 2021

avasopht wrote:
15 Mar 2021
Me.

After 20 years of DAWs I can see through the hype.

We don't need any upgrades - only bug fixes.

We don't need any new plugins or sound packs - they've already been created. If you think you need something new, just go look for something old you don't already have. Just pretend it's new (nobody else will notice).

Don't get me wrong, there are a few key areas Reason needs to improve (VST MIDI, and being able to send to specific MIDI channels).

Whatever the case is, Reason is 1000 times better than it was in 2002 when I started using it, and back then it was pretty awesome.

While upgrades are cool, and I welcome them, I just don't have a sense of lack. Algoritm, Complex and Friktion are awesome. Sure. But I've accumulated so much gold over the last few decades that I'm not feeling pretty comfy.

Maybe this is why they all need to continually appeal to new users to keep themselves going.
It's easy to say Reason doesn't need anything as it works great as is but when some archaic feature is introduced that speeds up your workflow or gives you new options it's then hard to deny its usefulness.

I couldn't be more over the years of waiting and hoping for things. The Combinator 2 thread and the bigger picture I saw there really finished me. I am disgusted that the Reason DAW has been left to stagnate so much over so many years, especially considering the amount of money so many of us spent. I have seen so many people leave with contempt, and their leaving had no impact at all. There are some amazing people at Props land, but the money men with dollar signs for eyes run the show and shape the product, I don't believe that was always the case.

I probably better get R11 so I have the flexibility of using Reason in another DAW one day without being forced onto Reason+.

:thumbs_down:

avasopht
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2021

Jagwah wrote:
23 Mar 2021
It's easy to say Reason doesn't need anything as it works great as is but when some archaic feature is introduced that speeds up your workflow or gives you new options it's then hard to deny its usefulness.

I couldn't be more over the years of waiting and hoping for things. The Combinator 2 thread and the bigger picture I saw there really finished me. I am disgusted that the Reason DAW has been left to stagnate so much over so many years, especially considering the amount of money so many of us spent. I have seen so many people leave with contempt, and their leaving had no impact at all. There are some amazing people at Props land, but the money men with dollar signs for eyes run the show and shape the product, I don't believe that was always the case.

I probably better get R11 so I have the flexibility of using Reason in another DAW one day without being forced onto Reason+.

For sure, and there are so many ways Reason could improve.

I was reflecting on the consumerist culture and how it seems to devalue the perception of our tools.

Anyway, my thing is that after 20 years of upgrading, dipping my toes outside of Reason a few times (hardware and other DAWs) ... I'm starting to get a little conservative.

I'm looking at all the cool things I can get (Arcade, Roland Cloud, more UVI sounds etc.) and just feeling meh about it all.

Last year I subscribed to EWQL cloud, upgraded my laptop to give me an easier ride (16 GB of RAM with 1 TB + 500 GB of WD Blue SSD), bought Ableton Push 2 with the Novation Launchpad Pro (and the small one). I also had subscribed to Roland Cloud for a while.

There I was about to make a purchase of Ableton Live Suite and I felt that although the Push was lots of fun, at the end of the day I'm still making the exact same music and because the Push doesn't properly integrate with VSTs and there are some serious workflow issues with drum samples that were making the process tedious, I ditched it completely and went back to Reason.

Half of the reason why I ventured towards Live was that I felt Reason was stagnating and they were missing far too many easy wins and have made some really bad decisions, so I'm not expecting much from them. But I still like the rack environment, mixer, sequencer (more so the audio editing and APE) and my Refills.

I guess I was also reflecting my acceptance of the way things are, but also my perspective. I welcome upgrades and new features, but I really feel that 90% of the time we're just being convinced that what was awesome last year is now useless. Reason is a little different as it has lots of incomplete features (ReGroove still needs a fresh coat of paint), but when it comes to traditional DAWs, so long as my VSTs load I really don't think I'd be at much of a loss with Cubase SX (which had a beat slicer IIRC).

Jagwah

25 Mar 2021

avasopht wrote:
25 Mar 2021
For sure, and there are so many ways Reason could improve.

I was reflecting on the consumerist culture and how it seems to devalue the perception of our tools.

Anyway, my thing is that after 20 years of upgrading, dipping my toes outside of Reason a few times (hardware and other DAWs) ... I'm starting to get a little conservative.

I'm looking at all the cool things I can get (Arcade, Roland Cloud, more UVI sounds etc.) and just feeling meh about it all.

Last year I subscribed to EWQL cloud, upgraded my laptop to give me an easier ride (16 GB of RAM with 1 TB + 500 GB of WD Blue SSD), bought Ableton Push 2 with the Novation Launchpad Pro (and the small one). I also had subscribed to Roland Cloud for a while.

There I was about to make a purchase of Ableton Live Suite and I felt that although the Push was lots of fun, at the end of the day I'm still making the exact same music and because the Push doesn't properly integrate with VSTs and there are some serious workflow issues with drum samples that were making the process tedious, I ditched it completely and went back to Reason.

Half of the reason why I ventured towards Live was that I felt Reason was stagnating and they were missing far too many easy wins and have made some really bad decisions, so I'm not expecting much from them. But I still like the rack environment, mixer, sequencer (more so the audio editing and APE) and my Refills.

I guess I was also reflecting my acceptance of the way things are, but also my perspective. I welcome upgrades and new features, but I really feel that 90% of the time we're just being convinced that what was awesome last year is now useless. Reason is a little different as it has lots of incomplete features (ReGroove still needs a fresh coat of paint), but when it comes to traditional DAWs, so long as my VSTs load I really don't think I'd be at much of a loss with Cubase SX (which had a beat slicer IIRC).
I'm really with you here. I know I spit venom about the stagnation, but I love Reason dearly and I am probably not going anywhere soon. I do have to try and predict what is going to happen as in five or ten years one of the other DAWs could be doing amazing things that just brings everyone on board, and I will need RRP for that, even though I hate the idea of it now.

A good Reason friend who rarely visits these forums was having a bit of a battle with Props recently, due to being politically incorrect with naming things and it brought him to complaining about the slow payment of money owed for his Reason products and having a bad relationship with Props, making him want to jump ship altogether. We are both disillusioned by Props, but what is important is that we stop associating them with our beloved software so much. Props are off in money making land, and we are end users making music, the relationship can completely fail and we can carry on making music and doing our thing.

It's frustrating to know Reason could be more advanced and could have many new features, and even more frustrating to know that trend of lack of all of this could continue for a very long time as it already has, but we keep coming back to the fact that Reason is pretty OK as it is and there is a reason we have such a passion for it.

Jackjackdaw

25 Mar 2021

Jagwah wrote:
23 Mar 2021

ReWire is your friend.

RoryM0

25 Mar 2021

I originally answered Nothing. I would never use Reason+, and as of right now that's still true - but after having some time to marinate in the situation I think the only thing that would convince me to use R+ is if ownership of a perpetual licence for whatever the current version of Reason is and the included REs (or perhaps a cut down selection of included REs? Choose 5 or something similar) was something that you could earn over time.

It is the aspect of perpetually renting and not owning that is keeping me away.

demt

25 Mar 2021

The way it sorta went shlouck as it took my monies.,and as a reason suite owner I want to keep abrest of reason advancements without trying.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information