Simple Question: What is more important?

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.

What is more important?

Add new features
53%
Revise/Update existing devices
47%

Total votes: 75
deeplink
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

Something that I've been in two minds about.

Yes, Reason needs to catch up with prevailing new features to be in line with the competition. Again, it feels like we are at that VST-implementation-or-nothing crossroads.

But also, after using RS for many years, how great would some devices be if they added that "little extra thing". RS have an extensive portfolio, they just need to make it exciting again.

Perhaps this can open up a discussion.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Billy+

25 Feb 2021

Bug fixes, sorting out vst midi routing

deeplink
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
I guess 50/50 then hey Billy.
Can you live without bug fixes, or without vst midi routing?

Billy+

25 Feb 2021

deeplink wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
I guess 50/50 then hey Billy.
Can you live without bug fixes, or without vst midi routing?
If I had to pick right now I would want midi routing for vst's to be done and dusted!

Creativemind

27 Feb 2021

You should've added a "50/50" option.

For me though it's 70/30 In favour of features but the Combinator, NN-XT, Subtractor, Thor, Alligator, Scream 4, Scales & Chords, Spectrum EQ, The Echo, Kong and ReDrum could do with updates.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

MannequinRaces

27 Feb 2021

Leave the old devices alone. I don’t get why people want the old devices updated instead of new things.

orthodox
RE Developer

27 Feb 2021

MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Leave the old devices alone. I don’t get why people want the old devices updated instead of new things.
+1 :thumbs_up:

Kalm

27 Feb 2021

MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Cause then you'll end up with a bunch of redundant unused devices. 14:2 mixer? ECF Filter, Chorus, Delay. . .
Getting Sweeper and Quartet was godly. SSL Console to replace the MClass? We clearly should get a revised Thor. So yes this is a definite option/opinion
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

MannequinRaces

27 Feb 2021

Kalm wrote:
27 Feb 2021
MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Cause then you'll end up with a bunch of redundant unused devices. 14:2 mixer? ECF Filter, Chorus, Delay. . .
Getting Sweeper and Quartet was godly. SSL Console to replace the MClass? We clearly should get a revised Thor. So yes this is a definite option/opinion
Learn to read... it says revise / update EXISTING devices. Sweeper and Quartet were not existing devices. I don’t want Thor version 2.0. I want something more modern / better / a new different take on things, etc..

deeplink
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2021

Subcontractor got updated to include LFO Sync
RV7000 got updated to include Convolution
Europa got updated to include User Wave Tables
All the sampling devices got updated to include Sample Record

These were all great updates. So I wonder why they stop just there though?

I'm sure there's a ton of really small updates to existing devices that could really help - e.g Dry/Wet knob on the Scream4, Update Europa/Grain effects section to be like Algoritm, midi input on Sweeper, perhaps an GUI update on 14:2 / 6:2 mixer.

Not that this is a feature request, but rather a question is which direction would be more beneficial for the users and for RS?

Sweeper, Quarter and Echo have basically replaced ECF, CH and the DLL. Do we really need to have visibility of them in our effects rack?

Which excites you more, a new Distortion RE or the idea of Scream4 MKII ?

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Feb 2021

deeplink wrote:
28 Feb 2021
Which excites you more, a new Distortion RE or the idea of Scream4 MKII ?
A new one of course. It would give more freedom to the developer in implementing new features and getting rid of obsolete ones and the existing bugs, without looking back at the compatibility issues. As a result, a much better device could be made.

joeyluck

28 Feb 2021

I would be bummed if there wasn't an RV7000 MkII. If in addition to focusing on features they focus on devices, I wish for them to further develop existing devices. I can understand optional REs as separate devices and the particular appeal when it comes to Reason+ (although I'd love to see those updated too), but in terms of built-in, I'd love to simply see those updated rather than more added. The existing devices are good and deserve more attention.

For instance, not everyone looks at u-he and thinks, "What type of synth is next?" Sure they make new plugins, but customers of Hive want to know about Hive 2... We know they are working on Zebra3... Kind of like how you come to expect Reason 12 to be next, you come to expect this of other devs with their plugins.

I think at a certain point that should be the strategy. Quality over quantity. You don't want things lost in a sea of new and then newer devices.

R303

28 Feb 2021

Fortunately, they haven't changed much at the devices.
Then they should make new ones. Because old hardware is also no longer updated.

They're not going to change their whole concept. So for me: Features.

Kalm

28 Feb 2021

MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Kalm wrote:
27 Feb 2021

Learn to read... it says revise / update EXISTING devices. Sweeper and Quartet were not existing devices. I don’t want Thor version 2.0. I want something more modern / better / a new different take on things, etc..
I did read and my statement still stands. Much obliged. Clearly Sweeper and Quartet weren't existing devices. Learn to read. That's the point. They REPLACED the half rack versions. The original question asked about what's more important and yet again I would like a Thor 2.0
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Kalm

28 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
28 Feb 2021
I would be bummed if there wasn't an RV7000 MkII. If in addition to focusing on features they focus on devices, I wish for them to further develop exiting devices. I can understand optional REs as separate devices and the particular appeal when it comes to Reason+ (although I'd love to see those updated too), but in terms of built-in, I'd love to simply see those updated rather than more added. The existing devices are good and deserve more attention.

For instance, not everyone looks at u-he and thinks, "What type of synth is next?" Sure they make new plugins, but customers of Hive want to know about Hive 2... We know they are working on Zebra3... Kind of like how you come to expect Reason 12 to be next, you come to expect this of other devs with their plugins.

I think at a certain point that should be the strategy. Quality over quantity. You don't want things lost in a sea of new and then newer devices.
This statement exactly.

jam-s

01 Mar 2021

Imho older devices should get a mild overhaul while staying backwards compatible. So adding some more modes or higher quality/oversampling options(!) would be good, but no need to cram everything into every synth (like most modern VST/RE synths do with their FX section). For adding an FX chain we've got the combinator.

R303

06 Mar 2021

Major changes would certainly only cause displeasure.

And they've to be careful when making small changes.
Dr. Octo Rex is great but Dr. Rex Player looked more inviting to me.

Dr. Rex Player.jpg
Dr. Rex Player.jpg (15.5 KiB) Viewed 3274 times

chaosroyale

14 Mar 2021

Yeah this is a conundrum; when people say "why update the old devices, make new better ones" - I want to agree in principle. However, in practice, that doesn't happen. Scream is a perfect example. It's a pretty good distortion unit, and doesn't need a lot of work to be truly excellent. If it had wet/dry, oversampling, and the phase issues fixed, it would be the best distortion unit in any DAW by far. So, what to do... Will RS make a completely new distortion unit that covers everything Scream can do, but has those improvements and also advanced new features?? If they did, OF COURSE that would be better, nobody would disagree. But recent history shows us that if they release a new distortion unit it will probably not include the original Scream modes, and it will not really supercede Scream, meaning we will have 2 ok-ish units instead of 1 great unit.

Also, if the "new devices only" crowd were in charge, we would have no RV7000mkii.... are you SURE that's what you want, because that's one of the best devices in Reason. Someone already mentioned the welcome upgrade of LFO sync on Subtractor *which also needs oversampling, and -again- is literally one upgrade away from still being a competitive synth in the modern world.

Don't get me started on all the redundant drum machines...

As for the sampler, I don't think people are saying literally mess around with the NN-XT adding a feature here or there, they are saying we need an NN-Next generation. Call it a new device, sure.

Combinator2: is that a "new" device or an upgrade to an old device? Semantics. But whatever you call it, I think this one is top of many people's lists, especially now that LIVE has 16 macros for its "combinators".

In short, I don't care if these are "new" or "old" devices, I care that the really amazing parts of Reason, like Screams various modes - they are so good, but could be implemented so much better- can get brought into the modern world.

chaosroyale

14 Mar 2021

Gotta disagree - Sweeper absolutely does not replace the ECF42. It does not have any perfectly linear modes, making it useless for inserts where you want an uncolored passthru when the filter is wide open. So now we have a choice of a clean but low-resolution filter (ecf), OR a high-resolution but coloring filter (sweeper), and no device than can do clean AND high-resolution. If I'm wrong about this please someone let me know, because it drives me crazy.

With reference to my post above - I would have liked RS to include the original clean ECF filters (*not necessarily the same code, just equivalent functionality) in Sweeper, at the new higher resolution. That way the new device would actually improve on and replace the old device.
Kalm wrote:
28 Feb 2021
Clearly Sweeper and Quartet weren't existing devices. Learn to read. That's the point. They REPLACED the half rack versions. The original question asked about what's more important and yet again I would like a Thor 2.0

Kalm

14 Mar 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
14 Mar 2021
Gotta disagree - Sweeper absolutely does not replace the ECF42. It does not have any perfectly linear modes, making it useless for inserts where you want an uncolored passthru when the filter is wide open. So now we have a choice of a clean but low-resolution filter (ecf), OR a high-resolution but coloring filter (sweeper), and no device than can do clean AND high-resolution. If I'm wrong about this please someone let me know, because it drives me crazy.

With reference to my post above - I would have liked RS to include the original clean ECF filters (*not necessarily the same code, just equivalent functionality) in Sweeper, at the new higher resolution. That way the new device would actually improve on and replace the old device.
Kalm wrote:
28 Feb 2021
Clearly Sweeper and Quartet weren't existing devices. Learn to read. That's the point. They REPLACED the half rack versions. The original question asked about what's more important and yet again I would like a Thor 2.0
My replacement more so referred to the functionality, not necessarily the same type of filter. How many newcomers is going to use the ECF over a ladder filter with modulation and drive?

chaosroyale

14 Mar 2021

por que no los dos.gif
Kalm wrote:
14 Mar 2021
chaosroyale wrote:
14 Mar 2021

My replacement more so referred to the functionality, not necessarily the same type of filter. How many newcomers is going to use the ECF over a ladder filter with modulation and drive?

madmacman

14 Mar 2021

If we are talking of new devices replacing the old ones, then *please* also with an builtin option to manage all devices (meaning: disable them or make them invisible in the browser) in order to declutter the browser.

chaosroyale

14 Mar 2021

a million times this.

we also need option to select which devices to "sync" with our accounts, but at least the option to "hide" all the stuff we don't want to scroll thru in the menu.
madmacman wrote:
14 Mar 2021
If we are talking of new devices replacing the old ones, then *please* also with an builtin option to manage all devices (meaning: disable them or make them invisible in the browser) in order to declutter the browser.

Kalm

14 Mar 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
14 Mar 2021
por que no los dos.gif
Kalm wrote:
14 Mar 2021

IDK, why didn't props just put a "Classic" version in the new filter effect? Could've all been consolidated imo

chaosroyale

14 Mar 2021

yeah this is exactly what i think; if they are gonna have a dropdown of 12 filters or however many it is, why NOT include the 3 from the original unit but with the new modulation and fine-grained frequency control. as it is now, there's no way to take advantage of the new higher resolution of automation but with the clean filters.

That's really all I (and I suspect some of the other) people are really saying when we talk about upgrading old devices. We're not saying "don't make new features" - quite the opposite. We just don't want to be stuck in the middle with half the functionality in one device and half in the other device, and no way to get the best of both worlds.
Kalm wrote:
14 Mar 2021
chaosroyale wrote:
14 Mar 2021
por que no los dos.gif

IDK, why didn't props just put a "Classic" version in the new filter effect? Could've all been consolidated imo

• Information