Reason 11 and 12 sample editor bug

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
anDre

18 Feb 2021

it's under further investigation

DecafDreams

18 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
18 Feb 2021
So has it been confirmed as a bug by ReasonStudios
It sounded to me originally like the RS support team fobbed anDre off, saying there is no bug, but now it seems they are looking into it.

There definitely are bugs in the sample editor now though that weren't there in Reason 10 and prior. I followed the steps earlier in this thread and can reproduce the issue on my side.

DecafDreams

18 Feb 2021

anDre wrote:
18 Feb 2021
it's under further investigation
Reason 11's codebase feels like it's in a shit state at the moment. Bugs everywhere. The RAM memory leak bug I found is an awful one too. And the other one anDre found, which crashes the whole Reason app when you try and delete a sampler made ReDrum sample. All three of these bugs are the worst I've ever known in Reason since my v2.5 days.

anDre

18 Feb 2021

as i wroted the post above i received a mail from RS QA and they confirmed the bug.

Billy+

18 Feb 2021

Yeah there's definitely a few things popping up at the moment and no real sign of a fix coming soon.

I know perhaps the preference bug was maybe simpler to fix but that was done within a day or so and it would be nice to see the ram bug fixed asap.

But it definitely seems like the team has taken an eye off the ball with V11.

moneykube

18 Feb 2021

AS well.... they should fix the bug where you have to licence rack extensions through your account on an authorized computer, and then again when you open reason... I see people complaining about it all over social media.... so it is a bug confirmed by many, that one mod here says is not an issue btw ( the grumpy miserable moderator that isn't here to make friends!.... no worries about that happening LOL).... what is this we are up to now? Something like 5 or more confirmed bugs since they devoted all their time to the subscription service.... The subscription service isn't the issue... it is all the bugs have been introduced to reason since they stopped focusing on the DAW to make money on the subscription service !
RS... get it together !!!!
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

EnochLight

18 Feb 2021

moneykube wrote:
18 Feb 2021
that one mod here says is not an issue btw ( the grumpy miserable moderator that isn't here to make friends!.... no worries about that happening LOL)....
Well, is anybody really here to make friends? :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jam-s

19 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
18 Feb 2021
moneykube wrote:
18 Feb 2021
that one mod here says is not an issue btw ( the grumpy miserable moderator that isn't here to make friends!.... no worries about that happening LOL)....
Well, is anybody really here to make friends? :lol:

*scnr*

Rappelled Hero

04 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
18 Feb 2021
Yeah there's definitely a few things popping up at the moment and no real sign of a fix coming soon.

I know perhaps the preference bug was maybe simpler to fix but that was done within a day or so and it would be nice to see the ram bug fixed asap.

But it definitely seems like the team has taken an eye off the ball with V11.
Just found this thread. I really hope that now Algoritm has been released that the development team can focus their efforts on getting a new point release of Reason 11 out which fixes, in the very least, the memory leak bug identified elsewhere. And even better would be if it also fixes a few other bug fixes including the one on this thread too!

diminished
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2021

the window focus bug in the sequencer I reported was confirmed, but when I asked when to expect a fix, they couldn't tell me...
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

anDre

11 Mar 2021

Still not fixed with 11.3.9. :thumbs_down:

Rappelled Hero

11 Mar 2021

anDre wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Still not fixed with 11.3.9. :thumbs_down:
I looked into this since installing 11.3.9, and I found a nicer workaround than the one mentioned earlier in this thread, given this isn't fixed.

I load an NNXT and Reset the device. Then use that to load my sample into it and then start editing the sample there. That way I can use my MIDI keyboard to audition the sample whilst I'm making edits, I don't have to use the bugged looping audition playback feature in the editor.

If at any point I do accidentally make the bug happen, I just change the loop mode to a different mode and then change it right back to what I had before. This silences the bugged playback and allows me to continue working.

None of this is ideal but the MIDI trigger I find actually works much better as a way to quickly reaudition the sample after clicking and moving the start and end points of the loop to see what it sounds like.

Hope that helps you workaround this like I am until Reason Studios fixes the bugged behaviour (which hopefully they will in Reason 11.4.0).

anDre

11 Mar 2021

Yes but unfortunately this way while playback the sample you have no visual feedback where the playhead is in the sample. If you work with long samples it's really hard to orientate where you are in the sample and to find the perfect loop points. But yes, you don't trigger the bug this way. Thanks.

I hope they fix this bug soon. It totaly kills my workflow.

anDre

11 Mar 2021

Btw. there is another easy way to trigger this bug immediately.

1. open Reason with a empty song
2. load a NN-19 in the rack
3. load a sample from Reasons browser into the NN-19
4. click on edit sample, the sample editor should open
5. now switch on the loop button
7. set the loop points wherever you want in the sample
7. click on play in the sample editor
8. and now drag the end marker a bit to the left to shorten the sample
9. now press the crop button

now suddenly the browser audio preview starts to play the sample while the playback in the sample editor stops, same behaviour as with the crossfade button.

Just to proof that this isn't just a crossfade button related bug. :)

softska

11 Mar 2021

Just curious, was there a R11 version that didn't have this bug as far as you know (or was ok only in R10?)

anDre

12 Mar 2021

softska wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Just curious, was there a R11 version that didn't have this bug as far as you know (or was ok only in R10?)
RS support said this bug was introduced in v11.3.5, so my guess is v11.3.4 and all versions below that don't have it, but i haven't tested it.
I'm back to R10, which definitely doesn't have it.
R10 down to R5 all have the sample editor and all doesn't have this bug.

Rappelled Hero

13 Mar 2021

anDre wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Btw. there is another easy way to trigger this bug immediately.

1. open Reason with a empty song
2. load a NN-19 in the rack
3. load a sample from Reasons browser into the NN-19
4. click on edit sample, the sample editor should open
5. now switch on the loop button
7. set the loop points wherever you want in the sample
7. click on play in the sample editor
8. and now drag the end marker a bit to the left to shorten the sample
9. now press the crop button

now suddenly the browser audio preview starts to play the sample while the playback in the sample editor stops, same behaviour as with the crossfade button.

Just to proof that this isn't just a crossfade button related bug. :)
Can confirm this bug still happens in 11.3.9 too.

Not sure if it's actually the browser that's playing the audio per se, just that clicking around in the browser afterwards does stop the bugged audio playing.

anDre

13 Mar 2021

Rappelled Hero wrote:
13 Mar 2021
Not sure if it's actually the browser that's playing the audio per se
It is the browser audio preview playback, see the little play/stop button in the browser when the bug happens.

Anyway it is confirmed by RS and they investigate it. Fingers crossed that they can fix it soon.

Rappelled Hero

15 Mar 2021

anDre wrote:
13 Mar 2021
Rappelled Hero wrote:
13 Mar 2021
Not sure if it's actually the browser that's playing the audio per se
It is the browser audio preview playback, see the little play/stop button in the browser when the bug happens.

Anyway it is confirmed by RS and they investigate it. Fingers crossed that they can fix it soon.
Ah OK. Given how well they turned around the fix for the RAM issue, I'm sure they'll fix this one too. Especially if you keep making polite noise on here until they do issue a fix :)

There seems to be an MP3 export bug in 11.3.9 too. Try exporting a loop of audio to MP3 and watch the whole application crash.

Southgate

15 Mar 2021

Rappelled Hero wrote:
15 Mar 2021
anDre wrote:
13 Mar 2021

There seems to be an MP3 export bug in 11.3.9 too. Try exporting a loop of audio to MP3 and watch the whole application crash.
Just tried to produce the problem....

first: Export Loop As Audio - No problem
then: Bounce To Disc - No problem

Only tried with audio loops though...anything else in the rack?

Rappelled Hero

16 Mar 2021

Southgate wrote:
15 Mar 2021

Ah interesting. I managed to do this on a brand new project with just one device added.

Are you using File > Export Audio as Loop... or a version where you right click on the audio clip in the sequencer instead?

I used the one in the top menu bar. File > Export Audio as Loop... (after setting the L and R markers first). I then changed the filetype in the dialogue box from the default of AIFF to MP3 and then pressed Enter to confirm the export to start. That caused instant crash for me...

Southgate

17 Mar 2021

Rappelled Hero wrote:
16 Mar 2021
Southgate wrote:
15 Mar 2021

Ah interesting. I managed to do this on a brand new project with just one device added.

Are you using File > Export Audio as Loop... or a version where you right click on the audio clip in the sequencer instead?

I used the one in the top menu bar. File > Export Audio as Loop... (after setting the L and R markers first). I then changed the filetype in the dialogue box from the default of AIFF to MP3 and then pressed Enter to confirm the export to start. That caused instant crash for me...
As stated above.... 1st is from the File Menu and the 2nd was "Right Click" then Bounce To Disc as MP3 format in both cases.

Sounds like you're on a Mac if AIFF is your default option. My default option is WAV. on PC Windows 10....So it might be a MAC issue?

softska

17 Mar 2021

anDre wrote:
12 Mar 2021
RS support said this bug was introduced in v11.3.5, so my guess is v11.3.4 and all versions below that don't have it, but i haven't tested it.
I'm back to R10, which definitely doesn't have it.
R10 down to R5 all have the sample editor and all doesn't have this bug.
Good info, thanks. Maybe unlikely but hope they'll fix it in v11 evnetually

Rappelled Hero

18 Mar 2021

Southgate wrote:
17 Mar 2021
Rappelled Hero wrote:
16 Mar 2021

As stated above.... 1st is from the File Menu and the 2nd was "Right Click" then Bounce To Disc as MP3 format in both cases.

Sounds like you're on a Mac if AIFF is your default option. My default option is WAV. on PC Windows 10....So it might be a MAC issue?
Hmmm, interesting.

Yeah I'm on Mac 11.3.9. I'll try again tonight and see if I can get an MP3 export out of Mac Reason 11 at all from any of the bounce/export options available or if every single one crashes the app...

epoch

06 Jun 2021

Rappelled Hero wrote:
18 Mar 2021
Southgate wrote:
17 Mar 2021

Hmmm, interesting.

Yeah I'm on Mac 11.3.9. I'll try again tonight and see if I can get an MP3 export out of Mac Reason 11 at all from any of the bounce/export options available or if every single one crashes the app...
I had this same issue, running Reason 11 on El Capitan.

I found a fix for it. Download the libmp3lame.dylib that Audacity offer a build of and swap the version inside the Reason.app Frameworks folder for that version instead (the new dylib needs renaming to match the one being replaced).

MP3 export now works for me and doesn't cause instant crashes.

• Information