Algoritm Song Competition!

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
Billy+

04 Mar 2021

Nice, I assume that's the sounds in the video?

https://www.mathieudemange.fr/wp-conten ... 950-SP.zip

QVprod

04 Mar 2021

hurricane wrote:
04 Mar 2021
Greetings - considering I talked crap about Algoritm in another thread (lol) if I enter this am I going to have a fair chance or should I not even bother and am already disqualified? :puf_bigsmile:

No, but the prize is Algoritm. You sure you’re interested? :lol:

hurricane
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Mar 2021
hurricane wrote:
04 Mar 2021
Greetings - considering I talked crap about Algoritm in another thread (lol) if I enter this am I going to have a fair chance or should I not even bother and am already disqualified? :puf_bigsmile:
I thought Algoritm was just an avarage synth made for people who wanted to make fart noises. :lol: Right?

Seriously though I know you said you spent quite some time with it. But are sure you explored it fully? For a synth dummy like myself, just the unison section alone seems to work a bit different compared to most unison effects. You can get rather creative with the timing function. It's a bit randomized rhythmically so it's not as "dead" as most unisons are imo.
Also the resonator in the effect section can make patches sound drastically different.
And then there's all the wavetables which I'm sure you know of. I guess I was just surprised that you said you used it enough to dismiss it as not very deep.
Lol I never said that.

Algoritm is ok. Not $99 ok though. $49? I'll think about it. Free - I'll take it (Quincy). The only good thing about it is the simple layout. It's very accessible. But I don't appreciate RS's sudden dismissive attitude towards classic DX sounds (they're "cheesy"). I don't recall them having the same attitude towards those sounds when PX7 was released. So all of a sudden those sounds conveniently suck just cuz Algoritm can't import them?? Riiiiiiiight. Anyway, I prefer FM8, and F.'em looks like it's going to be very awesome.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

04 Mar 2021

MrFigg wrote:
04 Mar 2021
joeyluck wrote:
04 Mar 2021

Some of my favorites are the ones that have stricter rules like the RX950 one :-)
https://www.reasontalk.com/2018/04/rx95 ... mpetition/

The focus here is on Algoritm and Reason.
So you know if that sample pack is still available anywhere Joey?
Sorry you missed that one. You can certainly ask Mathieu and William of Inphonik :) And feel free to continue chatting about it in the other thread viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7506287

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2021

This needs to be clarified as it does read you can use the effects that are included with Reason + but it does not say you can use those same effects if you have them already in Reason and don't have Reason+

So the knock on effect is all devices should be listed what is allowed and overall why should Reason + users have an advantage over the original Reason customer base?

Loque

05 Mar 2021

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
05 Mar 2021
This needs to be clarified as it does read you can use the effects that are included with Reason + but it does not say you can use those same effects if you have them already in Reason and don't have Reason+

So the knock on effect is all devices should be listed what is allowed and overall why should Reason + users have an advantage over the original Reason customer base?

You can try Reason+ too, so no really advantage for any other R+ user.

Maybe i am not fully up-to-date, but which advantage does a R+ really have compared to a long time Reason user?
Reason12, Win10

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2021

Loque wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
05 Mar 2021

Maybe i am not fully up-to-date, but which advantage does a R+ really have compared to a long time Reason user?
So lets say I do try it this month, in a couple of months time there is another comp, I now don't have access to Reason +.

I could be a long term Reason user (not Reason +) and I have not brought any extra RS devices in the past, so again at a disadvantage.

Personally I think Synth comps should be that synth only, no other effects\samples etc.

Loque

05 Mar 2021

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Loque wrote:
05 Mar 2021

So lets say I do try it this month, in a couple of months time there is another comp, I now don't have access to Reason +.

I could be a long term Reason user (not Reason +) and I have not brought any extra RS devices in the past, so again at a disadvantage.

Personally I think Synth comps should be that synth only, no other effects\samples etc.
Could be the same problem if someone has a older Reason version. Somewhere the line need to be drawn.
Reason12, Win10

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2021

Loque wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
05 Mar 2021

Could be the same problem if someone has a older Reason version. Somewhere the line need to be drawn.
By older you mean Reason 10 as I don't think Algoritm is supported below that...

Hmm, Also a fun comp for Reason + users, why try and win something you already have and deny someone who does not have it...

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2021

By older you mean Reason 10 as I don't think Algoritm is supported below that...

Hmm, Also a fun comp for Reason + users, why try and win something you already have and deny someone who does not have it...
[/quote]

I suppose if it is a reason + subs who win at least they get to keep it if they stop their subscription (but would still need to own at least a perpetual licence for version 10 and above to use it)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2021

Popey wrote:
05 Mar 2021
I suppose if it is a reason + subs who win at least they get to keep it if they stop their subscription (but would still need to own at least a perpetual licence for version 10 and above to use it)
Awesome marketing. Keep those units moving out the door. It's like a pipe manufacturer giving away free crack :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

05 Mar 2021

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
05 Mar 2021

It is to simplify things. As mentioned, it is just the same as saying Reason 11 built-in devices are allowed when someone is on Reason 10. There are people who may be participating that are new to Reason and are Reason+ users.

To answer your question, that doesn't mean you need to be on Reason+ to use those devices. It is used to define.

Also, Reason+ is free to try and is accessible to everybody. As mentioned in the rules, there are also two ways to participate and get your hands on Algoritm, either trialing Algoritm from the shop or trying Reason+. Hope that helps!

Billy+

05 Mar 2021

Actually joey, there is a 3rd way...... you could buy Algorithm :lol:

And looking through the devices I'm puzzled by the issues, there are no extra FX devices also as a suite owner the only devices I don't have are Mutator which I don't want and Algorithm but that has nothing to do with effects.

I don't think things have calmed as much as you think ;)

The only advantage plus runners get are the content packs, if you want to call that an advantage? :o

joeyluck

05 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Mar 2021

And looking through the devices I'm puzzled by the issues, there are no extra FX devices also as a suite owner the only devices I don't have are Mutator which I don't want and Algorithm but that has nothing to do with effects.

The only advantage plus runners get are the content packs, if you want to call that an advantage? :o
There's Polar and Rotor, right? And yes there are R+ soundpacks, but there are no rules to what sounds you use in Algoritm. You can use factory presets, R+ packs, you can make your own, and If you find sounds for sale through a designer, you can use them as well.

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2021

MrFigg wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Popey wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Awesome marketing. Keep those units moving out the door. It's like a pipe manufacturer giving away free crack :)
I have never smoked either but surely the pipe is cheaper than the crack😃. Anyway bringing it back on topic is their any news on if us rrp users can use our own daw for sequencing and enter this comp?

Billy+

05 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
05 Mar 2021

There's Polar and Rotor, right? And yes there are R+ soundpacks, but there are no rules to what sounds you use in Algoritm. You can use factory presets, R+ packs, you can make your own, and If you find sounds for sale through a designer, you can use them as well.
No I got Polar and Rotor, if they didn't come with suite then I must have brought them?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2021

Popey wrote:
05 Mar 2021
MrFigg wrote:
05 Mar 2021

I have never smoked either but surely the pipe is cheaper than the crack😃. Anyway bringing it back on topic is their any news on if us rrp users can use our own daw for sequencing and enter this comp?
Depends on how far you’re in in your habit. Ask yourself...how many REs did you imagine yourself having. Too late to turn back the clock?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2021

MrFigg wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Popey wrote:
05 Mar 2021

Depends on how far you’re in in your habit. Ask yourself...how many REs did you imagine yourself having. Too late to turn back the clock?
Fair point...so many re's, so many vst's....its GAS man its gotten me bad 😂

joeyluck

05 Mar 2021

Popey wrote:
05 Mar 2021
MrFigg wrote:
05 Mar 2021

For now, assume that the rules are as is.
Be aware that we will ask you to provide the Reason project file to check for compliance to these rules.
Every RRP user has access to Reason :-)

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2021

Hi Joeyluck,

Thanks for the update. I will keep an eye out on this thread in case the rules change to allow this but no problem if they don't. All the best everyone, happy creating :)

LongFist

05 Mar 2021

You know, The "having R+" is no real advantage: I have 10 pages of REs and I subscribed to a year of R+. Now I have this quandary: What came with R+?

The main reason I ended up with so many REs was that when a contract "needed" one, I would purchase just that one to finish the contract. Hey, it gets paid for, the money enters the account, and I made sure to document the purchase (so the wife didn't think we were being cheated). Everything balances, and in a couple of years... ...whoah! Are those all mine? Yep, I guess they are. But: which ones did I start with?

I'm going to do some quickie research and see if I can identify "just those items" that come with R+ (as if I hadn't bought all of that other stuff). I'll share it as soon as I figure it out. This is almost as difficult as the Reason 1.0 Challenge (happened near/before Christmas, I believe) - but [and I'm extremely thankful for this!] they gave us a finite list from which to work.

This might be just a bit more of a challenge. And I don't want to screw it up by getting invalidated because of a poor choice (outside the guidelines) of effects or something.

P.S.: If I win, I can Algoritm to my list of owned REs, since I haven't purchased it (yet). I'm on R+ until next year, but the benefit of owning Algoritm is beyond obvious, especially should I decide not to re-subscribe next year. So I don't feel as though I'm denying anyone a chance at anything. Besides, who am I fooling? I don't even know how these things are judged! I stand a whelk's chance in a supernova of winning this thing. [Yet still I'm going to try...]
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

LongFist

05 Mar 2021

:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

joeyluck

05 Mar 2021

LongFist wrote:
05 Mar 2021
You know, The "having R+" is no real advantage: I have 10 pages of REs and I subscribed to a year of R+. Now I have this quandary: What came with R+?

The main reason I ended up with so many REs was that when a contract "needed" one, I would purchase just that one to finish the contract. Hey, it gets paid for, the money enters the account, and I made sure to document the purchase (so the wife didn't think we were being cheated). Everything balances, and in a couple of years... ...whoah! Are those all mine? Yep, I guess they are. But: which ones did I start with?

I'm going to do some quickie research and see if I can identify "just those items" that come with R+ (as if I hadn't bought all of that other stuff). I'll share it as soon as I figure it out. This is almost as difficult as the Reason 1.0 Challenge (happened near/before Christmas, I believe) - but [and I'm extremely thankful for this!] they gave us a finite list from which to work.

This might be just a bit more of a challenge. And I don't want to screw it up by getting invalidated because of a poor choice (outside the guidelines) of effects or something.

P.S.: If I win, I can Algoritm to my list of owned REs, since I haven't purchased it (yet). I'm on R+ until next year, but the benefit of owning Algoritm is beyond obvious, especially should I decide not to re-subscribe next year. So I don't feel as though I'm denying anyone a chance at anything. Besides, who am I fooling? I don't even know how these things are judged! I stand a whelk's chance in a supernova of winning this thing. [Yet still I'm going to try...]
Reason+ devices just means every RE available from Reason Studios today.

I think in terms of additional Effects, that just means Polar and Rotor. You can of course use audio inputs for things like Parsec for its vocoder or Scenic for its effects, but all synth sounds must originate from Algoritm.

In terms of Players, you can certainly use whatever Player you like. I think most people understand this from past competitions. How you create your MIDI notes is up to you. However, if you are not sending to track and removing players (because not everybody works that way), the only players you can leave in your project are those included with Reason/Reason+.

LongFist

05 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
05 Mar 2021

I think in terms of additional Effects, that just means Polar and Rotor. You can of course use audio inputs for things like Parsec for its vocoder or Scenic for its effects, but all synth sounds must originate from Algoritm.

In terms of Players, you can certainly use whatever Player you like. I think most people understand this from past competitions. How you create your MIDI notes is up to you. However, if you are not sending to track and removing players (because not everybody works that way), the only players you can leave in your project are those included with Reason/Reason+.
I included the instruments in the "everything" list in case someone asks the question "Yes, but what Instruments come with R+?" later on. It's going to happen, so I figured I'd just jump the gun and include 'em any way. Sorry if I caused any confusion!!!

Billy+

05 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
05 Mar 2021

Joey, Polar and Rotor are both listed under the Effects included with R+ https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ts-effects They are the last two, are you saying that they are not included in R+?

• Information