Algoritm is released!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ltbrunt00
Posts: 495
Joined: 10 Jan 2017

Post 01 Mar 2021

Used Algoritm all weekend and this is now my favorite synth. To me the GUI is a joy to use, down right easy to create new sounds fast. Trying new things, creating new sounds is effortless and automating any and every parameter as with any reason device makes this thing a beast. ,

Would be interesting if in the next update they updated the classic built in devices with this type of GUI.

I am trialing it right now and will have to buy it once the trial is over. I started using it everywhere. They were lying when they said it would make you forget PX7. PX7 as great as it was required to much time tweaking for my taste. Algoritm I can get in make a ridiculous amount of new sounds and move on to something else.

Would have been nice for people who purchased PX7 to get a slight discount.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

User avatar
Social Exodus
Posts: 378
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: The wilds of North Idaho

Post 01 Mar 2021

ltbrunt00 wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Would have been nice for people who purchased PX7 to get a slight discount.
What is this "discount" you speak of?
:reason: 12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3191
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 01 Mar 2021

Social Exodus wrote:
01 Mar 2021
ltbrunt00 wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Would have been nice for people who purchased PX7 to get a slight discount.
What is this "discount" you speak of?
There is no discount, maybe later in the year but definitely not just because you own PX7.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
Using Reason since version 1 is R11 going to be my final version :shock:

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

ltbrunt00
Posts: 495
Joined: 10 Jan 2017

Post 01 Mar 2021

Social Exodus wrote:
01 Mar 2021
ltbrunt00 wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Would have been nice for people who purchased PX7 to get a slight discount.
What is this "discount" you speak of?
Would have been nice if you purchased PX7 that you would receive a discount on Algoritm. Algoritm seems to be a complete replacement for PX7. I have used PX7 quite a bit and after using Algoritm will probably never use PX7 again. Other than leaving it in old projects.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9305
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Mar 2021

ltbrunt00 wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Social Exodus wrote:
01 Mar 2021


What is this "discount" you speak of?
Would have been nice if you purchased PX7 that you would receive a discount on Algoritm. Algoritm seems to be a complete replacement for PX7. I have used PX7 quite a bit and after using Algoritm will probably never use PX7 again. Other than leaving it in old projects.
Well they are different FM synths. Algoritm doesn't emulate the DX7 and can't load DX7 patches. Algoritm is an incredible addition and a very fun and refreshing approach to FM sound design, but I'll still use PX7 for many of my favorite DX7 patches. Just the same as Algoritm certainly doesn't replace my use of RYM2612 for all of my favorite Sega Genesis FM sounds!

That said, when I first started testing Algoritm, I was a little bummed that I couldn't simply import my favorite DX7 patch, REVINETTE. So I set out to make my own clav sound and I arrived at something that I actually like better! It's in the presets and it's called "Clavicool" :-)

User avatar
froggo_gfx
Posts: 40
Joined: 28 Dec 2020

Post 01 Mar 2021

Is it just me or effects module is unusable on this one? Literally everything muddies up and distorts the sound. What am I doing wrong?

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7433
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 01 Mar 2021

froggo_gfx wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Is it just me or effects module is unusable on this one? Literally everything muddies up and distorts the sound. What am I doing wrong?
I don't know if it's just you, but I certainly don't feel that away about the effects module. It's the same one that's on Grain and Europa with an additional module to boot, though, so if you didn't like those maybe that's it?
Win 10 | Abelton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Sumsung 870 QVO 2 TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3191
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 01 Mar 2021

froggo_gfx wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Is it just me or effects module is unusable on this one? Literally everything muddies up and distorts the sound. What am I doing wrong?
I think you're going to need to be more specific if you want actually help, however off the top of my head I would have to say you're using to much :thumbup:
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
Using Reason since version 1 is R11 going to be my final version :shock:

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
froggo_gfx
Posts: 40
Joined: 28 Dec 2020

Post 01 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
01 Mar 2021
froggo_gfx wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Is it just me or effects module is unusable on this one? Literally everything muddies up and distorts the sound. What am I doing wrong?
I don't know if it's just you, but I certainly don't feel that away about the effects module. It's the same one that's on Grain and Europa with an additional module to boot, though, so if you didn't like those maybe that's it?
I am usually not a fan of included effects on any VSTs mainly because of routing restrictions, but I’ve used Thor effects A LOT. On Europa - not so much but anyway I didn’t notice anything THIS severely dirtying up the sound. I’ll give it another try tomorrow.

User avatar
Social Exodus
Posts: 378
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: The wilds of North Idaho

Post 01 Mar 2021

ltbrunt00 wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Social Exodus wrote:
01 Mar 2021


What is this "discount" you speak of?
Would have been nice if you purchased PX7 that you would receive a discount on Algoritm. Algoritm seems to be a complete replacement for PX7. I have used PX7 quite a bit and after using Algoritm will probably never use PX7 again. Other than leaving it in old projects.
This was a bit of humor, sorry :)
:reason: 12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol


User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3191
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 01 Mar 2021

Interesting set of videos but there is one thing that stands out a mile though..........

Only one is actually using the standalone DAW it's a shame that all these promoters that have been picked would rather use another DAW and I guess that explains the direction more than RS would admit to.

The last few updates haven't addressed anything that long term users have been asking for and instead the developer have chosen to concentrate on making Reason into a cheap to operate plugin for the casual user rather than providing a viable solution to it long term user base.

It's a shame that it's come to this and I really hope that now they "RS" will actually start putting some effort into the standalone DAW or at least be honest about their direction, i.e. The DAW is being faded out in favour of others.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
Using Reason since version 1 is R11 going to be my final version :shock:

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

VariableX
Posts: 554
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 01 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Interesting set of videos but there is one thing that stands out a mile though..........

Only one is actually using the standalone DAW it's a shame that all these promoters that have been picked would rather use another DAW and I guess that explains the direction more than RS would admit to.

The last few updates haven't addressed anything that long term users have been asking for and instead the developer have chosen to concentrate on making Reason into a cheap to operate plugin for the casual user rather than providing a viable solution to it long term user base.

It's a shame that it's come to this and I really hope that now they "RS" will actually start putting some effort into the standalone DAW or at least be honest about their direction, i.e. The DAW is being faded out in favour of others.
i think reason studios suffer from the same thing my music making suffers from... they always just wanna make something new, its addictive, new is exciting and motivational, updating old things is boring...

although i understand it, it could be there downfall, who knows

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3191
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 01 Mar 2021

fretshot7 wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Interesting set of videos but there is one thing that stands out a mile though..........

Only one is actually using the standalone DAW it's a shame that all these promoters that have been picked would rather use another DAW and I guess that explains the direction more than RS would admit to.

The last few updates haven't addressed anything that long term users have been asking for and instead the developer have chosen to concentrate on making Reason into a cheap to operate plugin for the casual user rather than providing a viable solution to it long term user base.

It's a shame that it's come to this and I really hope that now they "RS" will actually start putting some effort into the standalone DAW or at least be honest about their direction, i.e. The DAW is being faded out in favour of others.
i think reason studios suffer from the same thing my music making suffers from... they always just wanna make something new, its addictive, new is exciting and motivational, updating old things is boring...

although i understand it, it could be there downfall, who knows
Well I am hoping that the next update is free and fixes more than just the RAM bug, if not all I see is V12 being a major flop rather than an improvement.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
Using Reason since version 1 is R11 going to be my final version :shock:

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
Gardinski
Posts: 313
Joined: 04 Feb 2015

Post 01 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
01 Mar 2021
November 2021 at the earliest, I'd wager. They won't put it on sale for May Madness - that's barely 3 months away. I can't recall anytime in the past they launched an RE at full price and then put it on sale that soon.
Billy+ wrote:
01 Mar 2021

You say that but Friktion is only 6 months old and I'm sure I picked it up on BF sale ;)
Yup. Friktion was released on the 25th of August. I picked it up for 64 GBP (35% off) on 20th Nov, less than THREE MONTHS after launch.

I certainly wasn't expecting it to be discounted so quickly, and my production PC was out of action at the time so I didn't even have a chance to trial it, but I didn't even have to think twice about grabbing it at that price. (And I'm so glad I did, because it really is a thing of beauty).

So on that basis, I wouldn't be altogether surprised to see Algoritm on sale in May.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9305
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Mar 2021

@billy what I am seeing is more videos, better quality videos, and in general a more diverse group of people using Rack Extensions that are not just Reason users. It's actually exciting that we we are no longer closed off from the rest of the world. Seems like Reason users spend more of their time complaining and not making content 😅 that's why you don't see as many Reason DAW videos.

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3191
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 01 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
01 Mar 2021
@billy what I am seeing is more videos, better quality videos, and in general a more diverse group of people using Rack Extensions that are not just Reason users. It's actually exciting that we we are no longer closed off from the rest of the world. Seems like Reason users spend more of their time complaining and not making content 😅 that's why you don't see as many Reason DAW videos.
I will start getting excited when I see improvements in my chosen DAW.

The videos are getting better due to the free open source software being used in majority of cases (obs)

And maybe long term Reason user are complaining because they feel like they not being considered any longer by the company they have invested in for many years.

And I've been watching Reason DAW videos for many years, just not seen many from the current crop of promoters!
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
Using Reason since version 1 is R11 going to be my final version :shock:

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9305
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
01 Mar 2021
joeyluck wrote:
01 Mar 2021
@billy what I am seeing is more videos, better quality videos, and in general a more diverse group of people using Rack Extensions that are not just Reason users. It's actually exciting that we we are no longer closed off from the rest of the world. Seems like Reason users spend more of their time complaining and not making content 😅 that's why you don't see as many Reason DAW videos.
I will start getting excited when I see improvements in my chosen DAW.

The videos are getting better due to the free open source software being used in majority of cases (obs)

And maybe long term Reason user are complaining because they feel like they not being considered any longer by the company they have invested in for many years.

And I've been watching Reason DAW videos for many years, just not seen many from the current crop of promoters!
Yeah I've been using Reason since version 1. Previously, any new feature or device in Reason was like a secret to the rest of the world. Only Reason users could really talk about it. It's so refreshing to not feel closed off from the rest of the world. Reason is a topic now in other DAW communities more than ever before. ReWire never brought this level of excitement and level of content. The user base is much larger. Algoritm benefits all types of Reason users, DAW and RRP.

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3191
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 01 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
01 Mar 2021


I will start getting excited when I see improvements in my chosen DAW.

The videos are getting better due to the free open source software being used in majority of cases (obs)

And maybe long term Reason user are complaining because they feel like they not being considered any longer by the company they have invested in for many years.

And I've been watching Reason DAW videos for many years, just not seen many from the current crop of promoters!
Yeah I've been using Reason since version 1. Previously, any new feature or device in Reason was like a secret to the rest of the world. Only Reason users could really talk about it. It's so refreshing to not feel closed off from the rest of the world. Reason is a topic now in other DAW communities more than ever before. ReWire never brought this level of excitement and level of content. The user base is much larger. Algoritm benefits all types of Reason users, DAW and RRP.
There is no doubt that others are talking about Reason and hopefully that's a positive, and your right for some reason nobody was that interested when they could rewire and I do think that making RRP is definitely a positive but only for users that never brought Reason for its DAW and as a long term "V1" user I just want to start seeing features that other DAW users take for granted - for me that's the only real way Reason is going to get better, I love the whole approach they have taken over the years but the last few have been difficult to swallow.

I really hope they pull out all the stops to treat us long term users to something special with the next minor / major update....
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
Using Reason since version 1 is R11 going to be my final version :shock:

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

strange_scenery
Posts: 44
Joined: 05 Nov 2020

Post 01 Mar 2021

Re-created the routing from the last last page of the manual, and it is indeed rich and full, in the most technical way.

Spoiler alert:







It is white noise

User avatar
SoundObjects
Posts: 119
Joined: 10 Dec 2018

Post 02 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Interesting set of videos but there is one thing that stands out a mile though..........

Only one is actually using the standalone DAW it's a shame that all these promoters that have been picked would rather use another DAW and I guess that explains the direction more than RS would admit to.

The last few updates haven't addressed anything that long term users have been asking for and instead the developer have chosen to concentrate on making Reason into a cheap to operate plugin for the casual user rather than providing a viable solution to it long term user base.

It's a shame that it's come to this and I really hope that now they "RS" will actually start putting some effort into the standalone DAW or at least be honest about their direction, i.e. The DAW is being faded out in favour of others.
Here is one more only using the Reason DAW :-)

The Universe Is Vibrating

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 9549
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 02 Mar 2021

Now after playing around with it a bit, i must admit, that its the first time i like the patches RS delivers with a synth.

It is indeed a very easy to use synth, but on the other hand also limited. Here are just a few points, which could easily extend Algoritm and would still be easy to use, but would make it much more powerful:
* Instead of OUT toggle button make it a slider or mix knob
* Make more matrix slots, so i finally can target at least all operators
* Sample or Wavetable loading oscillator
* External audio input, maybe as an oscillator (vocoder style?)
* Easy Mute/Solo each operator
* Make Key Follow a 0-100% slider/knob
* Try to increase the Routing Matrix and make the little connections a Mixer Circle Knob
* Let me set the maximum polyphony
Reason12, Win10

Popey
Posts: 827
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 02 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
01 Mar 2021
joeyluck wrote:
01 Mar 2021


Yeah I've been using Reason since version 1. Previously, any new feature or device in Reason was like a secret to the rest of the world. Only Reason users could really talk about it. It's so refreshing to not feel closed off from the rest of the world. Reason is a topic now in other DAW communities more than ever before. ReWire never brought this level of excitement and level of content. The user base is much larger. Algoritm benefits all types of Reason users, DAW and RRP.
There is no doubt that others are talking about Reason and hopefully that's a positive, and your right for some reason nobody was that interested when they could rewire and I do think that making RRP is definitely a positive but only for users that never brought Reason for its DAW and as a long term "V1" user I just want to start seeing features that other DAW users take for granted - for me that's the only real way Reason is going to get better, I love the whole approach they have taken over the years but the last few have been difficult to swallow.

I really hope they pull out all the stops to treat us long term users to something special with the next minor / major update....
I think rrp in the long term is a good thing as now any new rack extensions can be bought by anyone not just reason users opening up a whole new market. Hence why so many vids use all sorts of daw's nowadays which must be a good thing for rs (it's all advertising for them).

That said I can totally get long term users of the daw being annoyed by the slow pace of development. I havent been here since v1 but moved to the rrp to enable me to still use my re's (which I spent a lot of money on) in a new daw. Billy comment rings true to me though as I only moved daw's due to things like lack of track freeze etc meaning I struggled to finish my tracks on a older pc. I kinda thought once reason catches up and improves I would move back to reason but now starting to think I am kidding myself as just got live 11. As visually unappealing live is from a creating music perspective I find it brilliant and has really sped up my workflow. It for this reason I too have been worrying that rs might find just concentrating on rrp and devices is more financially rewarding but I sincerely hope I am wrong.

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3259
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 02 Mar 2021

Popey wrote:
02 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
01 Mar 2021


There is no doubt that others are talking about Reason and hopefully that's a positive, and your right for some reason nobody was that interested when they could rewire and I do think that making RRP is definitely a positive but only for users that never brought Reason for its DAW and as a long term "V1" user I just want to start seeing features that other DAW users take for granted - for me that's the only real way Reason is going to get better, I love the whole approach they have taken over the years but the last few have been difficult to swallow.

I really hope they pull out all the stops to treat us long term users to something special with the next minor / major update....
I think rrp in the long term is a good thing as now any new rack extensions can be bought by anyone not just reason users opening up a whole new market. Hence why so many vids use all sorts of daw's nowadays which must be a good thing for rs (it's all advertising for them).

That said I can totally get long term users of the daw being annoyed by the slow pace of development. I havent been here since v1 but moved to the rrp to enable me to still use my re's (which I spent a lot of money on) in a new daw. Billy comment rings true to me though as I only moved daw's due to things like lack of track freeze etc meaning I struggled to finish my tracks on a older pc. I kinda thought once reason catches up and improves I would move back to reason but now starting to think I am kidding myself as just got live 11. As visually unappealing live is from a creating music perspective I find it brilliant and has really sped up my workflow. It for this reason I too have been worrying that rs might find just concentrating on rrp and devices is more financially rewarding but I sincerely hope I am wrong.
To continue this off-topic discussion...

I'd just like to point out that despite some of the recent moves RS have made (not being geared toward the long time, devoted users), we (the long time, devoted users) should be excited for the future of Reason. These new RRP and R+ users are bringing a lot more revenue to RS, and then RS can use that revenue to develop the DAW. I see RRP and R+ as extremely positive things, in this aspect; the income streams can enabler RS to make Reason a better product.

That being said, I really hope they DO use the new revenue streams to develop the DAW and get it up to par. I loved the last 3 REs that RS put out, but I feel that most of the REs they've put out in the last few years have been really meh-diocre. I wish RS would focus on core DAW development in the next couple of version; legacy devices need updated, sequencer needs a major overhaul, audio editor is practically non-existent.

Back to the main topic.... sort of...

Algoritm is an excellent RE. I love it! It really raised the bar. It's going to be tough to put out a better RE. Now please go focus on the DAW!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3191
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 02 Mar 2021

I agree with all you are saying including Algoritm and Friktion, I couldn't wait to get my hands on Friktion as it was doing something new and although Algoritm is doing something old it's definitely doing it with the propellerhead spirit and that's really good to see.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
Using Reason since version 1 is R11 going to be my final version :shock:

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests