For Those of Us Not Impressed with Algoritm, I'd Like To Remind You of FM8

Discuss VST stuff here!
hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2021

FM8 is still my favorite FM synth, even though it was introduced FOURTEEN years ago in 2007. It's still the most powerful FM synth on the planet, and for all of you more experienced synth users who didn't fall for the Algoritm hype, here are 14 FM8 fun facts that you maybe didn't realize were a thing. I think you'll be surprised how advanced it is.

1. Algoritm's matrix is inspired by (or copied from) FM8's. If you were like me, then you immediately recognized that when you saw it.

2. FM8 has an arpeggiator with step sequencer functionality.

3. Like Algoritm, FM8 also has a filter. FM8 has a dual parallel/serial multimode filter. And there's visual feedback.

4. FM8 has 32 different waveforms.

5. FM8 has Unison.

6. FM8 has 12 effects.

7. You can morph between 4 different patches in FM8's Morph Grid.

8. FM8 has built-in visual scopes.

9. FM8 has a separate and special Operator called Operator X that features noise and wave shaping.

10. FM8 can import DX-family, DX7 and TX81z patches.

11. FM8 thinks you're smart enough to handle less-approachable envelopes. Hi Mattias. :wave:

12. There's a high resolution mode in FM8 which improves the sound quality at a cpu cost of course.

13. If you want to color the sound quality, FM8 has 2 quality modes: Analog and Digital. Analog introduces random variations in the voices (like analog synths) and Digital changes the bit resolution, so you can make FM8 sound like the 12-bit DX7 (and it goes lower than 12 if you want).

14. FM8 also has an "easy edit" mode, which is basically Algoritm. JK, it's actually more advanced than Algoritm.

Remember, FM8 is 14 years old. FOURTEEN. Algoritm was released 3 days ago.

In my opinion, Algoritm is a synth that is great for the audience it was designed for. It's definitely NOT a PX7 replacement because it only has ADSR envelopes and can't import DX7 patches. When I first tried it, I was definitely impressed by the Reason "rackness" of it, but that wore off as I spent more time with it. That's when I realized Algoritm was a bit too basic for me. Nothing wrong with basic of course, but I was looking forward to something bit more substantial, powerful, elaborate and just a little more MORE.

FM8 combines modern with digital vintage, and some would even say it does modern better. All of you who have maybe forgotten bout FM8 - it's time to give it another look because it is indeed very awesome, and it's probably the FM synth you're looking for.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MannequinRaces

26 Feb 2021

15. Looks boring and sterile.

m.arthur

27 Feb 2021

You sound exactly like Comic Book Guy from Simpsons. "WELL ACTUALLY, (OTHER SYNTH) IS BETTER...."

This is gonna shock the OP, but they are BOTH great.

The matrices are not, in fact, identical. And many synths other than Algoritm have been inspired by the 'open matrix assignment' for operators in an FM synth (see Sytrus, for one).

FM8 does NOT have any Shapers, which is one of the coolest parts of Algoritm, imo.

FM8's envelopes are janky to work with, and inside tiny windows. They are.....OK.

but that said...
FM8 is, indeed, one of the greatest soft-synths of all time, no argument from me!

The OP seems a bit misguided, imho. Competition is good. Choices are good. There was no need to be like "HEY GUYS YOU LIKE THE NEW REASON FM SYNTH, WELL SCREW THAT, CHECK OUT THIS OTHER ONE! WHY? BECAUSE I PERSONALLY THINK IT'S BETTER"

cool story bro.

BRIGGS

27 Feb 2021

I think most of us are aware of FM8. Thanks anyway. :wave:
r11s

SebAudio

27 Feb 2021

hurricane wrote:
26 Feb 2021
Remember, FM8 is 14 years old. FOURTEEN. Algoritm was released 3 days ago. .
Yes but Algo’s got brushed aluminum panel so that makes it at least TWENTY years old ! :mrgreen:

Just joking of course but well brushed alu really :lightbulb: :?

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Feb 2021
When I saw it was 9 OP, I grinned :D

joeyluck

27 Feb 2021

Yeah I never liked FM8. I tried it and didn't like the presets or the workflow to create my own. With Algoritm, I like the patches and the workflow is much better IMO.

Honestly, I've never like much of anything from NI though. I use Kontakt, but that's because of the quality libraries from other designers that are not NI.

Someone could list all the features of Pro Tools, but doesn't mean it's better than Logic or that I would want to use it over Reason.

arnigretar

27 Feb 2021

FM8 is a great software :) But Algoritm is that as well. I like The design part - how you can add operators and route them freely + add efx - all in the same window. Don't need to go in any sub menus or anything like that - it's all there in the front panel. And the layout of the envelopes and the randomizer on all parts is wonderful. FM8 is another beast, but that's like coming on here and tell me that if I don't like something about Reason I should remember Ableton Live. Yeah... sure. I know about both platforms - use both - ain't going to change a lot for me. I will be using Algoritm a lot + continuing in using other FM synths. I also have hardware digital synths (like more people on here) - and it's the same. I will use them as well. I for one am impressed with Algoritm, it's a great work. Dedication in design, great presets to work around with. And the layout. Top work imo :reason:
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

phithegoldenratio

27 Feb 2021

I am wondering not more folks are complaining about the static values in the mod matrix of Algo.. guys do keep your modulations the same throughout track?^^ IMO this is a bummer with Algo. With Scenic the same...

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2021

phithegoldenratio wrote:
27 Feb 2021
I am wondering not more folks are complaining about the static values in the mod matrix of Algo.. guys do keep your modulations the same throughout track?^^ IMO this is a bummer with Algo. With Scenic the same...
Couldn't you use CV to get around this problem? Like sending the pitch amount to Pulsar for some variation in the vibrato amount for example. Still it would be better if we were able to just modulate it normally.

miscend

27 Feb 2021

There’s an FM synth due anytime soon from the Trackion guys called F.’em

phithegoldenratio

27 Feb 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Feb 2021
phithegoldenratio wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Couldn't you use CV to get around this problem? Like sending the pitch amount to Pulsar for some variation in the vibrato amount for example. Still it would be better if we were able to just modulate it normally.
you*re right, also using external CV ins of which there are 4 can solve this. dunno, bummer is probably an overstatement. it is still a very nice synth, just wishing they would have kept their old mod matrix style which allows internal automation of the values.

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2021

phithegoldenratio wrote:
27 Feb 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Feb 2021

you*re right, also using external CV ins of which there are 4 can solve this. dunno, bummer is probably an overstatement. it is still a very nice synth, just wishing they would have kept their old mod matrix style which allows internal automation of the values.
Very important to have this. Really is a shame.

I wonder why they have been doing this? Maybe because automation lanes aren't something you can really design into a sound pack/refill so they just didn't bother?

I hope they change that because automating stuff with lanes is where the real magic happens.

hurricane
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2021

miscend wrote:
27 Feb 2021
There’s an FM synth due anytime soon from the Trackion guys called F.’em

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this one. I don't know if there will ever be a FM9, but F.'em looks like it might be that.

good stuff starts at 6:48:

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

adfielding

27 Feb 2021

I've owned FM8 for about a decade and, although I can appreciate that it's a good synth, I've never really "clicked" with it. Within about 5 minutes of messing around with Algoritm I was getting sounds out of it that I would actually use.

Different strokes for different folks.

BonsaiMacKay

27 Feb 2021

Honestly, I love FM8 and as much as I would love to see an update to it, it already does everything I need from it. I simply use it very often because it is easy to use while being such a complex synth. That said, this Algoritm (i always say Algo-riddim😸) is a different beast, and this is the first synth from Propellerheads that really REALLY catches my eye in a long time. So I might be getting it some time in the near future. Like, the synth, because their subscription plan is not for me. As for FM synths, they offer such flexibility and depth, you just can't have too many of them. Damn, you can build an entire complex project using only Ableton Operator if you like.

Auryn

27 Feb 2021

Ahornberg wrote:
27 Feb 2021
There's also Zero by Blamsoft:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

Seconded. Algoritm is nice but Zero is king
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

hurricane
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2021

This is great - it's the year of FM synths. XILS is set to release KaoX soon, supposed to be based on the GS1: https://www.xils-lab.com/audiosample/Ka ... railer.mp4

After spending way too much time with Algoritm, I've come to the conclusion that Algoritm is like a really dumb hot girl. As soon as you see it you're immediately blown away, fall head over heels in love, and think it's the hottest girl ever, but then you start spending some serious time with it and you realize there is no substance there.. It's just way too simple. I'm looking forward to F.'em and KaoX and still completely in love with FM8.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MannequinRaces

27 Feb 2021

hurricane wrote:
27 Feb 2021
This is great - it's the year of FM synths. XILS is set to release KaoX soon, supposed to be based on the GS1: https://www.xils-lab.com/audiosample/Ka ... railer.mp4

After spending way too much time with Algoritm, I've come to the conclusion that Algoritm is like a really dumb hot girl. As soon as you see it you're immediately blown away, fall head over heels in love, and think it's the hottest girl ever, but then you start spending some serious time with it and you realize there is no substance there.. It's just way too simple. I'm looking forward to F.'em and KaoX and still completely in love with FM8.
It’s been out for a matter of days, not even a week yet. How much time have you actually spent with it?

BRIGGS

27 Feb 2021

MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Feb 2021
hurricane wrote:
27 Feb 2021

It’s been out for a matter of days, not even a week yet. How much time have you actually spent with it?
IKR? :lol:

Don't you just love all of the self proclaimed 'expert' 'know it alls', all over the interwebz?

r11s

hurricane
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2021

MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Pretty much every day and exclusively since it was released. Wrote a whole track with it even. I'm already bored with it and I love FM synths. I can understand the enthusiastic reception by those people in the Algoritm thread though, but they're just STARVED for decent rack extensions. It isn't even making a noise over at KVR. In my opinion, RS made it way too "approachable".
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MannequinRaces

27 Feb 2021

hurricane wrote:
27 Feb 2021
MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Pretty much every day and exclusively since it was released. Wrote a whole track with it even. I'm already bored with it and I love FM synths. I can understand the enthusiastic reception by those people in the Algoritm thread though, but they're just STARVED for decent rack extensions. It isn't even making a noise over at KVR. In my opinion, RS made it way too "approachable".
Whoptie-freakin-do... one whole track... what is wrong with approachable?! How dare they make something that people won’t be terrified to figure out and make some music with, haha.

BRIGGS

28 Feb 2021

MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Whoptie-freakin-do... one whole track... what is wrong with approachable?! How dare they make something that people won’t be terrified to figure out and make some music with, haha.
r11s

• Information