Algoritm is released!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Popey
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Popey wrote:
25 Feb 2021

I am not going to get chance to trial this for a few days due to work but can anyone confirm if the randomise ribbon can be automated? Be good if so to add variation on a sound during a track.
I don't even need to read the manual to answer that question.

No that's totally not the point......
I may be being a bit dense but why not? I was thinking for example if you had a pad and then create a simple automation ramp on the ribbon you could change things over time.

Mataya

25 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Popey wrote:
25 Feb 2021

I am not going to get chance to trial this for a few days due to work but can anyone confirm if the randomise ribbon can be automated? Be good if so to add variation on a sound during a track.

I don't get it...who's point?
I would like that to. Reminds me on soniccharge microtonic morph slider, where you can morph between two states of knobs and controls and it's great. This ribbon would be very useful for "animating" sounds. Sort of like the macro ribbon.
So there's the point.

M

Billy+

25 Feb 2021

Well give it a try and see, I assume that's not the point of the ribbon but you might be right.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

25 Feb 2021

Popey wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021

I may be being a bit dense but why not? I was thinking for example if you had a pad and then create a simple automation ramp on the ribbon you could change things over time.
You can't automate the ribbon, per se, but you can record using it and it will automate all parameters it changes. It'll be a WHOLE bunch of automation tracks, but it does work. :geek:

Billy+

25 Feb 2021

Maybe it will be one of those hidden parameters that you can access via the combinator programming interface.

Mataya

25 Feb 2021

Well that's awesome and probably enough for me. Thanks.

Mataya

Billy+

25 Feb 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
25 Feb 2021

You can't automate the ribbon, per se, but you can record using it and it will automate all parameters it changes. It'll be a WHOLE bunch of automation tracks, but it does work. :geek:
Was that by design?

Jagwah

25 Feb 2021

Wow great job Props, this is very cool and inspiring and Ryan's videos are second to none. Great job everyone involved!

Anyway, can't sit around yapping all day it's Algoritm time!

<3

tronam

25 Feb 2021

Regarding the design and laments over Reason's visual past, I actually think this is a far better approach for more "technical" kinds of synthesis like this. It's so clearly laid out and easy to understand. It's not like the DX7 had CV cables or rotaries and I surely wouldn't want to see a UI with tons of tiny 3D membrane buttons. Skeuomorphism is in a weird place these days because I think its original purpose of providing a design language that helps transition an analog generation into digital is kind of running on fumes at this point. I'm fond of it too, but like with nostalgia, too much indulgence limits forward thinking creativity.

Also, I must not visit the RS site often, but since when did they start offering Rent-to-own?
Last edited by tronam on 25 Feb 2021, edited 2 times in total.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

Mataya

25 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Well give it a try and see, I assume that's not the point of the ribbon but you might be right.
Synth ribbons should not have a point. :D

M

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

25 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
MattiasHG wrote:
25 Feb 2021

Was that by design?
Yes, that's how it's implemented.

Jagwah

25 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Was that by design?
That just gives you total control over the randomized parameters, would be a bit uncool the other way around. Relax and have at it!

antic604

25 Feb 2021

Please, consider this (or similar):
Algoritm + Friktion - 149EUR
Algoritm + Friktion + Pattern Mutator -> 199EUR

:)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Algoritm + Friktion + Pattern Mutator -> 199EUR

:)
I'd buy this

ab459

25 Feb 2021

OMG OMG

RoryM0

25 Feb 2021

If I had one thing that I felt was missing from this - simply because it's on PX7 and I use that a lot - is a macro for attack. I can totally understand that space is at a premium and why you'd prioritize dec/rel as an envelope macro above attack, but I did immediately want to reach for a way to control the attack of the overall patch as I started playing.

For a simple patch you could use a combinator, but of course with that approach you're going to lose the relative differences in attacks across the 9 operators without a huge amount of tweaking to try and maintain that which would only apply to the one patch you set it up with.

No deal breaker for me but would be a useful addition I feel.

EDIT: mod matrix destinations for overall attack/decay/sustain/release offset might be a workaround that doesn't require a GUI redesign...?

Gosh

25 Feb 2021

Can it be authorized via the Usb ignition key or is Reason+ needed?

adfielding

25 Feb 2021

Gosh wrote:
25 Feb 2021
It works the same way as every other rack extension.

antic604

25 Feb 2021

Gosh wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Yes. No.

They want your money, they want you to buy it and use it regardless whether you're Reason+ subscriber or Reason license holder using on-line, off-line or USB key authorisation.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Popey
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Popey wrote:
25 Feb 2021

Thanks Mattias. I may be able to live with a whole bunch of automation tracks, will find out when I am able to trial it 😂😂😂.

This may have seemed a strange question to some but I enjoy trying all sorts with synths to "see what happens" and automating the ribbon would have been one of the first things I would have tried.

challism

25 Feb 2021

ECHLN wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Let's go!
No need to be a R+ apologist. I'm loving my R+Companion! So great to see Algoritm show up in there as soon as it's released!
SoundObjects wrote:
25 Feb 2021
So much more than just a simple FM synth :clap:
I guess this must close the mouth of all the biased skeptics.
Amen to that! I hope this restores some faith in the nonbelievers.
It's refreshing to see some positivity around this place.
Aosta wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Why do I have this love hate relationship with you guys?
Good question. Why do you?
Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Popey wrote:
25 Feb 2021

can anyone confirm if the randomise ribbon can be automated?

That's correct, it cannot.
deeplink wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Classic Reason Studios humor in the Algoritm manual.. :D
Hilarious! Love it.
Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
James if you read this I hope you give Lectic Panda a free copy so he can do his generative magic.
I second this. You guys should give Lectric Panda a free copy of every RE in the shop.
RoryM0 wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Glad to see an expanded EQ effect, and the resonator is great!
Yes, that Resonator is great. I would love to see it show up in (the otherwise identical) Grain and Europa effects panel. A small update coming for those soon, I hope!?
Adabler wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Will there be a competition that I can fail to make an entry for?
MattiasHG wrote: @ Mattias: Will there be a competition that I can fail to make an entry for?
Great idea. We would love to host a contest, here on RT. Let us know if we can do that Mattias!
MattiasHG wrote:
25 Feb 2021
It's my favorite day: new synthesizer day! I'm happy to properly introduce Algoritm FM Synthesizer.

I really hope you'll like it as much as we do!

If you're on Reason+ it's already in Companion and ready to download.
RS team, you absolutely knocked it out of the park on this one! Very well done! And it's lovely to see it sitting in my R+Companion waiting to be downloaded!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Billy+

25 Feb 2021

Jagwah wrote:
25 Feb 2021
That just gives you total control over the randomized parameters, would be a bit uncool the other way around. Relax and have at it!
It will give quite a lot of insight into what's going on with the sound and how each parameter is influencing the overall sound and once you have captured the individual automation lanes you will be able to mute and modify each manually. Very interesting.

Jagwah

25 Feb 2021

OK how do I remove an Algoritm cable, is there a hot key?

By the way @mods thanks for starting a new thread not sure if that's a new thing but I was going to suggest it.

RoryM0

25 Feb 2021

Jagwah wrote:
25 Feb 2021
OK how do I remove an Algoritm cable, is there a hot key?

By the way @mods thanks for starting a new thread not sure if that's a new thing but I was going to suggest it.
Just click on it

Jagwah

25 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Jagwah wrote:
25 Feb 2021
It will give quite a lot of insight into what's going on with the sound and how each parameter is influencing the overall sound and once you have captured the individual automation lanes you will be able to mute and modify each manually. Very interesting.
Indeed!

PLC for life!! :thumbup:

• Information