The OB-E - New Synth by G-Force Out Tuesday 2/23

Discuss VST stuff here!
SebAudio

24 Feb 2021

tallguy wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Installed the demo. Some amazing sounds in there, a few one-button-Vangelis presets. Undeniably lush with an analog edge.

That said, you have to program 8 separate synths to make one of those sounds. It's not a style of sound designs that suits everyone including myself. I couldn't find an init preset so it's hard to judge how hard it is to dial in a sound from scratch.

There are some quirks that I find irritating. The fact the sequences don't play unless the DAW's playhead is moving. You can't just hold down a key to hear a sequenced preset.

Another thing, you can't resize the interface by dragging the bottom right edge. Instead we get this weird hack workaround where you have to close and re-open the window after dialling in a size. Switches don't update their graphics until you release the mouse. Little things, but for that price, in 2021, I expect a bit more polish. The manual suggests this was a project that started many years ago. Maybe that explains it.
Thanks for reporting. I too think they’re wrong UI-UX-wise

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2021

OB-E – PC STATEMENT

February 24, 2021
by GForce Software

Firstly, we are sorry for the disappointment many of you have felt in not being able to use OB-E immediately.

Secondly, we’ll try to explain the complicated reasons in these four key elements.

1) Anyone who knows us, will remember that in the past we had a habit of getting over-excited about what we were working on, and revealed what was coming in advance of release. This created problems, because when we encountered issues during development and a release was delayed, people would get frustrated and contact us asking “Why the delay? When? How much? How much longer?” etc.

It also put undue pressure on the engineers to adhere to deadlines, as opposed to just doing their best work. imp2 was a prime example of this and subsequently we made a decision never to announce anything until it was ready to ship. It worked really well with Oddity 2 and we’ve adhered to this dogma ever since.

2) While it might appear we’ve been quiet in terms of new instrument releases, over the last few years we’ve been quietly developing some very special in-house development tools. While these tools are trade secrets we can say that they were developed on Macs using OB-E as proof of concept and are evolving.

3) We recently did a series of surveys with our customers and found a huge majority are Mac users. So, as OB-E evolved into the very special monster that is it, we decided to release it as Mac only and see what the reception was.

It’s fair to say that as an instrument, the reception has been fantastic.

This is really gratifying because at the moment industry thinking is that ‘simple’ is the future and macro controls & a million presets are the way forward. Indeed, in a recent conversation with someone high up in the synth world, he told us “Five years ago we’d spend four hours perfecting a bass sound on a synth, but nowadays people expect to create a song in that time.”

OB-E clearly flies in the face of that thinking, and we wanted to asses the response to it before deciding to integrate our in-house tools with commercial ones with a view to creating multiple formats.

This integration is no small task and the truth is, right now we don’t know how long it’ll take.

https://www.gforcesoftware.com/blog/ob- ... c-version/
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

enossified

25 Feb 2021

Loque wrote:
23 Feb 2021
Isn't this just 8 SEMs or am i missing something here?
The original was 8 SEMs linked together for programming with limited patch storage. Each SEM had to be programmed individually, allowing each voice to sound the same or different. Without patch memory that is a nightmare, as I found with a Vermona Perfourmer and that was only 4 voices. Hopefully GForce has simplified the programming to allow copying one SEM's settings to the others.

Loque

25 Feb 2021

enossified wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Loque wrote:
23 Feb 2021
The original was 8 SEMs linked together for programming with limited patch storage. Each SEM had to be programmed individually, allowing each voice to sound the same or different. Without patch memory that is a nightmare, as I found with a Vermona Perfourmer and that was only 4 voices. Hopefully GForce has simplified the programming to allow copying one SEM's settings to the others.
Hum... I still don't see any advantage if your already own Arturia SEM or Oberhausen.
Reason12, Win10

hurricane
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

enossified wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Loque wrote:
23 Feb 2021
They have. There is a copy/paste function for all modules, plus you can group them and make changes to all of them at once. Algoritm didn't blow me away at all so I'm getting OB-E.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

selig
RE Developer

25 Feb 2021

Loque wrote:
25 Feb 2021
enossified wrote:
25 Feb 2021

Hum... I still don't see any advantage if your already own Arturia SEM or Oberhausen.
I agree, but it could be because I already own the Arturia SEM - just put 4-8 in a Combinator and Bob's your uncle… ;)
(I know it's not exactly the same thing, but hey, how many times do you actually want each voice to sound different?)
Selig Audio, LLC

Despondo
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2021

tallguy wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I couldn't find an init preset so it's hard to judge how hard it is to dial in a sound from scratch.
I just bought it. You can click on either of these two buttons to get to an init patch. One for Mono, the other for Poly.

Despondo
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2021

BTW, John Lehmkuhl (Plugin Guru) did a good programming tips video on the OB-E here:

Despondo
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2022

Updated to 2.0 and now available for PC!
NEW IN OB-E V2 (NOW MACOS & WINDOWS)
The enhanced OB-E V2 is a pin sharp emulation of the Oberheim® 8-Voice thanks to the new Vintage control and a highly refined Detune parameter. In addition, it’s now available for both macOS and Windows.

OB-E V2 features a new reverb, 100+ new Patches (bringing the total to over 700), a new Zoom function for the sequencer along with a crazy new Drum Mode enabling each SEM to be triggered by a dedicated key. We’ve also added 10 drum kit Presets to get you started. If you are looking for a new analog drum machine, give it a go, it might surprise you.
https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/ob-e/

moofi

23 Feb 2022

I noticed aswell, we don´t have any SEM-filters in Reason yet, have we?
BRIGGS wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Is there not a SEM re? :think:

joeyluck

23 Feb 2022

Despondo wrote:
22 Feb 2022
Updated to 2.0 and now available for PC!
NEW IN OB-E V2 (NOW MACOS & WINDOWS)
The enhanced OB-E V2 is a pin sharp emulation of the Oberheim® 8-Voice thanks to the new Vintage control and a highly refined Detune parameter. In addition, it’s now available for both macOS and Windows.

OB-E V2 features a new reverb, 100+ new Patches (bringing the total to over 700), a new Zoom function for the sequencer along with a crazy new Drum Mode enabling each SEM to be triggered by a dedicated key. We’ve also added 10 drum kit Presets to get you started. If you are looking for a new analog drum machine, give it a go, it might surprise you.
https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/ob-e/
I thought this thread was just from today and already on page 2.... turns out version 1 (what the first post is about) was released on the same day last year lol

MattLeschuck

23 Feb 2022

Just download the demo. I have a basic question, is there no way to initialize it? I cant seem to find anything.

Edit: Just saw that it was restricted to Alpha patches. Not a fan of that if thats the case.

thedude

23 Feb 2022

moofi wrote:
23 Feb 2022
I noticed aswell, we don´t have any SEM-filters in Reason yet, have we?
BRIGGS wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Is there not a SEM re? :think:
We've got the 12db state variable filter in Thor. Whether that is authentic enough for some is open to debate.

Despondo
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2022

MattLeschuck wrote:
23 Feb 2022
Just download the demo. I have a basic question, is there no way to initialize it? I cant seem to find anything.

Edit: Just saw that it was restricted to Alpha patches. Not a fan of that if thats the case.
see the post above:

viewtopic.php?p=545448#p545448

MattLeschuck

24 Feb 2022

Despondo wrote:
28 Feb 2021
tallguy wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I couldn't find an init preset so it's hard to judge how hard it is to dial in a sound from scratch.
I just bought it. You can click on either of these two buttons to get to an init patch. One for Mono, the other for Poly.

Unfortunately this does not work for the demo. You are stuck with the Alpha presets as far as I can tell.

Despondo
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2022

MattLeschuck wrote:
24 Feb 2022
Unfortunately this does not work for the demo. You are stuck with the Alpha presets as far as I can tell.
Oh...I see.

• Information