Algoritm : new FM synth from RS

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
RoryM0

24 Feb 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Feb 2021
The others... I really dislike YouTubers who use dumb thumbnails with Photoshop, facial expressions (😱), retard click bait titles, emojis, etc. That's for gossip content. That's for children. Way beneath us. It makes them look amateur, and stenches of desperation. Like their content is so weak that they need to go for cheap marketing strategies to make up for it. Losers.
Do I agree with this statement?!?! :o :?: ;) Watch the video to find out! CLICK LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE AND RING THE BELL FOR NOTIFICATIONS.

RoryM0

24 Feb 2021

I'm actually really looking forward to this synth being released. PX7 goes in almost every rack I build and it really isn't much fun to use. It's the evening of the 24th here in the UK and I just got paid. I'm on the hype train waiting for the RS release hype video to drop... choo choo, all aboard.

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I'm actually really looking forward to this synth being released. PX7 goes in almost every rack I build and it really isn't much fun to use. It's the evening of the 24th here in the UK and I just got paid. I'm on the hype train waiting for the RS release hype video to drop... choo choo, all aboard.
PX7 = DEXED, and Dexed isn't much fun to use either. I hope Algoritm is more like FM8 but I doubt it's going to be that elaborate and awesome because they (RS) seem to never go all out on synths. So Algoritm will just be an average FM synth with a few fun quirks that will make waves in the beginning but slowly drift away into obscurity. Like Europa, like Grain, like Thor, like Parsec, like Scenic. Algoritm will be more interesting than PX7, but not exactly an FM8 killer. I really hope I'm wrong though.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

adfielding

24 Feb 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
23 Feb 2021
Wish there were more people using Reason on YT. Many that you can find seem to be hiphop/trap/'making a beat' style stuff which isn't my bag. I like Adam Fielding, Ned Rush used to do Reason stuff a decade ago but he's all Ableton Live now (very good though).
Just saw this, thanks! :) And remember - always SMASH LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE when watching my vids! :lol:

fieldframe
RE Developer

24 Feb 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
24 Feb 2021
And Monotone is an embarrassment that annoys me every time I see the thumbnail taking up space in the browser.
I use Monotone all the time. I think it sounds great and has one of the best UIs of any recent first-party synth.

Obviously it doesn’t work for your needs, but I’m curious where it fails for you.

Kalm

24 Feb 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I think that was true in 2000-2008, but since Thor, all the synths in Reason have been very much B-tier "built-in DAW synths", nothing that could survive as a standalone VST. For example, Europa is "fine", it's probably the best "generic boring wavetable synth" to be included in a DAW, but compared to something like Vital, which is FREE, it's not on the same level. Grain was a huge missed opportunity, not even as powerful as abandonware like "The Mangle". And Monotone is an embarrassment that annoys me every time I see the thumbnail taking up space in the browser. Friktion is the only one I've seen recently that looked like it actually had some creativity, passion, and originality, but I haven't demo'd it, so I cannot say anything about the actual sound.
zoidkirb wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Reason has always been known for its synths IMO so I think it's proper for them to at the very least have one great entry for each type of synth. Now that Px7 is gone they need a new FM synth. And they needed Europa as a modern Wavetable hybrid, Grain for granular, Friktion for PM.
But how many DAW developers are going to go out of their way to put all their resources into a single synth? Reason didn't need to create a competitive wavetable synthesizer on Serum's level, they just needed A modern wavetable synth that can do at the very least 50-60% that everyone uses. I highly doubt anybody will try to get Serum out of Europa. Same thing with Grain. It doesn't need to be Pigments, Iris 2, etc. Just be an option in a myriad of synths to create popular sounds in 1/2 the time and integrates with the DAW. I don't even touch Serum that often cause it takes longer to sound design simple stuff than Europa. Will monotone be Spire? No, it was developed for the iOS app but its a great mono synth for simple bass lines and leads. I use it ALLLL the time as a utility synth.

What you and others might be looking for is Reason to make something like Alchemy in Logic or FL Studio Harmor. To that I say this,

A) RS believes that's what the DAW is for. Use it as a modular environment (Weak argument I know)
B) They should attempt creating their own unique flagship synth like Massive.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2021

Kalm wrote:
24 Feb 2021

But how many DAW developers are going to go out of their way to put all their resources into a single synth? Reason didn't need to create a competitive wavetable synthesizer on Serum's level, they just needed A modern wavetable synth that can do at the very least 50-60% that everyone uses. I highly doubt anybody will try to get Serum out of Europa. Same thing with Grain. It doesn't need to be Pigments, Iris 2, etc. Just be an option in a myriad of synths to create popular sounds in 1/2 the time and integrates with the DAW. I don't even touch Serum that often cause it takes longer to sound design simple stuff than Europa. Will monotone be Spire? No, it was developed for the iOS app but its a great mono synth for simple bass lines and leads. I use it ALLLL the time as a utility synth.
Exactly, they just create a bunch of average to below-average synths. Algoritm should be similarly average to below-average. Do we really think they're going to blow our socks off this time???

Calling it - Algoritm will just be another mediocre Reason Studios synth.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

RoryM0

24 Feb 2021

adfielding wrote:
24 Feb 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
23 Feb 2021
Wish there were more people using Reason on YT. Many that you can find seem to be hiphop/trap/'making a beat' style stuff which isn't my bag. I like Adam Fielding, Ned Rush used to do Reason stuff a decade ago but he's all Ableton Live now (very good though).
Just saw this, thanks! :) And remember - always SMASH LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE when watching my vids! :lol:
Ha ha :lol: . Yes well if I hadn't already SMASHED LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE I would do again. Like watching your streams man :thumbup:

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

So I wonder what time it will be in the shop tomorrow?

Midnight tonight or sometime tomorrow morning

Breach The Sky

24 Feb 2021

The first few times I tried Europa my initial reaction was somewhat lukewarm.. Shelved it for a time. Then I tried a bunch of other "supersynths", and several off them has this "color" off sorts, at least to my ears. Some have a subtle rubbery, phase rotation-ish sound, VPS Avenger being one off the worst. Others have a scoped mid range. I find that Europas lack of immediate wow-factor sound wise, actually give room for external processing, the way I do things. The range of tonality is impressive to me. Very rambly and abstract, but maybe someone agrees.

Complex-1 is just awsome to me, I keep exploring and finding new levels of insanity all the time, the latest being feedback-loops. It has become my go-to.

zoidkirb

24 Feb 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I think that was true in 2000-2008, but since Thor, all the synths in Reason have been very much B-tier "built-in DAW synths", nothing that could survive as a standalone VST. For example, Europa is "fine", it's probably the best "generic boring wavetable synth" to be included in a DAW, but compared to something like Vital, which is FREE, it's not on the same level. Grain was a huge missed opportunity, not even as powerful as abandonware like "The Mangle". And Monotone is an embarrassment that annoys me every time I see the thumbnail taking up space in the browser. Friktion is the only one I've seen recently that looked like it actually had some creativity, passion, and originality, but I haven't demo'd it, so I cannot say anything about the actual sound.
zoidkirb wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Reason has always been known for its synths IMO so I think it's proper for them to at the very least have one great entry for each type of synth. Now that Px7 is gone they need a new FM synth. And they needed Europa as a modern Wavetable hybrid, Grain for granular, Friktion for PM.
As Kalm said, it's not fair to attack Monotone and Rytmik as they were brought in for compatibility with Compact. Compact itself was a huge fail but that's not the point here. (Likewise I've found myself using Monotone anyway out of convenience)

I still stand by the idea that Reason needs a full lineup of synth types. I have Vital, I have many granulars (padshop 2, granilaizer, glichmachines stuff etc) but will happily fire up Europa and Grain partly because I like the workflow in Reason, and partly because they have a unique flavor.

Much the same as I prefer Wavetable and Operator when in Live.

I agree the pricing is excessive though. I was very happy to get those two bundled with R10, and was very happy with Complex-1 at 50% off. But these new Synths there's a good chance I'll never own because I'm covered well enough at this point. If they were included in R12 Suite then that would be a different story. The Suite concept was the best thing RS ever copied from Live.

fieldframe
RE Developer

24 Feb 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I agree the pricing is excessive though. I was very happy to get those two bundled with R10, and was very happy with Complex-1 at 50% off. But these new Synths there's a good chance I'll never own because I'm covered well enough at this point. If they were included in R12 Suite then that would be a different story. The Suite concept was the best thing RS ever copied from Live.
I wish they had kept Suite going. Ableton doesn't seem to have any problem adding new devices to the Suite tier, and a Reason 12 Suite with Friktion, Pattern Mutator, and Algoritm would be a day-one upgrade for me even if they barely touched the DAW features.

At least with Friktion and Pattern Mutator, they're interesting to me, but not quite enough to buy them separately. Maybe Algoritm will be amazing enough to convince me to shell out nearly the price of a Reason upgrade mere months before the next Reason upgrade is expected, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

RobBarnett

24 Feb 2021

I wonder if it will go straight into the reward store, where PX7 was?

Gardinski

24 Feb 2021

RobBarnett wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I wonder if it will go straight into the reward store, where PX7 was?
Ooooh... That would be great. I've got 50 'reward points' just sitting there mocking me, and absolutely NOTHING to spend them on.

Unfortunately, I think this is about as likely as seeing a gigantic marshmallow full of unicorns tapdancing through my front door, brandishing a placard that says 'FREE REs FOR LIFE'.

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

Well, it's the 25th

chaosroyale

24 Feb 2021

...I bet you eat Weetabix with baked beans.

Srsly tho, everyone will have their own taste so this is purely from my point of view; but Monotone is A: ugly, and B: far too limited in scope to be an interesting sound design tool, and a painful reminder that the actually really good Subtractor has been left to rot for 20 years while much less interesting and less powerful devices get added to the lineup.

I don't wanna bash the new Reason synths like Europa or Grain, they are not terrible, they are fine for built-in DAW synths (*Europa's filter section is very underwhelming tho). But the focus on the R.R.P. seems like RS thinks they have an amazing collection of killer instruments that will shine in other hosts, when honestly there are much better instruments out there.

As for Grain: I like the layout (despite the weird half-flatness of the UI, I wish they would pick one or the other) and I want to like the synth itself. But: they only went halfway. The grain emitter rate does not go anywhere near high enough. The grain envelope isn't fully adjustable and you often get often clicks; this is a real minus point compared to other granular synths. As usual, these are flaws that could easily be fixed with a point update, but they won't do it.
fieldframe wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I use Monotone all the time. I think it sounds great and has one of the best UIs of any recent first-party synth.

Obviously it doesn’t work for your needs, but I’m curious where it fails for you.

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

BRIGGS

24 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Feb 2021
LOL...what side of the planet, are you on? :lol:
r11s

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
24 Feb 2021
U.K. And it's 00:24 on the 25th..... there late :lol:

If I was subscribing I would want it now!

BRIGGS

24 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Feb 2021
BRIGGS wrote:
24 Feb 2021

U.K. And it's 00:24 on the 25th..... there late :lol:

If I was subscribing I would want it now!
I thought you were in China or Japan...lol :lol:
r11s

groggy1

24 Feb 2021

adfielding wrote:
24 Feb 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
23 Feb 2021
Any ideas what the bell is for?

fieldframe
RE Developer

24 Feb 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Srsly tho, everyone will have their own taste so this is purely from my point of view; but Monotone is A: ugly, and B: far too limited in scope to be an interesting sound design tool, and a painful reminder that the actually really good Subtractor has been left to rot for 20 years while much less interesting and less powerful devices get added to the
I agree about Subtractor! I would love to see RS update its sound engine with something that sounds as good as Monotone while keeping Subtractor’s classic workflow. The only addition I’d want to see is maybe a filter overdrive like Monotone has.

Workstation synths like Europa (or Serum, or Vital) are all well and good, but the inspiration that comes from working with something more limited like Subtractor or Monotone is one of my favorite things about making electronic music.

SebAudio

25 Feb 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
24 Feb 2021
...I bet you eat Weetabix with baked beans.

Srsly tho, everyone will have their own taste so this is purely from my point of view; but Monotone is A: ugly, and B: far too limited in scope to be an interesting sound design tool, and a painful reminder that the actually really good Subtractor has been left to rot for 20 years while much less interesting and less powerful devices get added to the lineup.

I don't wanna bash the new Reason synths like Europa or Grain, they are not terrible, they are fine for built-in DAW synths (*Europa's filter section is very underwhelming tho). But the focus on the R.R.P. seems like RS thinks they have an amazing collection of killer instruments that will shine in other hosts, when honestly there are much better instruments out there.

As for Grain: I like the layout (despite the weird half-flatness of the UI, I wish they would pick one or the other) and I want to like the synth itself. But: they only went halfway. The grain emitter rate does not go anywhere near high enough. The grain envelope isn't fully adjustable and you often get often clicks; this is a real minus point compared to other granular synths. As usual, these are flaws that could easily be fixed with a point update, but they won't do it.
fieldframe wrote:
24 Feb 2021

If you judge a synth in an absolute way, well RS’s are average and you’re better off with the very good VSTs out there (and at least since 9.5 you can use them inside Reason !).
But in the context of music composition or « modular Lego » then the « average » synths of Reason are quite useful. And some presets show that they can sometimes sound wonderfully good !
That’s why I think that there are nearly 0 fans of RS’s synths out of Reason ‘s users.

So let’s hope Algo will be the average FM synth with an exiting twist and some good presets to make us wanting it ! And then dive in it !

craste

25 Feb 2021

antic604

25 Feb 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
24 Feb 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Feb 2021
The others... I really dislike YouTubers who use dumb thumbnails with Photoshop, facial expressions (😱), retard click bait titles, emojis, etc. That's for gossip content. That's for children. Way beneath us. It makes them look amateur, and stenches of desperation. Like their content is so weak that they need to go for cheap marketing strategies to make up for it. Losers.
Do I agree with this statement?!?! :o :?: ;) Watch the video to find out! CLICK LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE AND RING THE BELL FOR NOTIFICATIONS.
Frankly, you're then just missing on a lot of great content. Some people simply started doing those things - faces, emojis, click-baity titles - because otherwise YT would never suggest their videos and they'll remain with few hundred subscribers forever, despite having the skills & message that's worth hearing.

Let me make it clear - I don't like it either, but it is what it is and I'm trying to look past the thumbnails & click-bait titles :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

• Information