The OB-E - New Synth by G-Force Out Tuesday 2/23

Discuss VST stuff here!
User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1632
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 21 Feb 2021



obe1.png
obe2.png

G-Force customers have already received a $30 discount code in anticipation of the release. Supposed to release Tuesday afternoon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

User avatar
tronam
Posts: 390
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 21 Feb 2021

Considering how much Dave Spiers loves, no adores, that synth I'm sure this plugin has been an obsessive years-long labor of love for GForce.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1632
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 23 Feb 2021

https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1632
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 23 Feb 2021

It's also $146 WITH the coupon, so NOPE.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

User avatar
eusti
Moderator
Posts: 2660
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 23 Feb 2021

hurricane wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021
It's also $146 WITH the coupon, so NOPE.
I was thinking the same thing... Way too pricey for me.

D.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1632
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 23 Feb 2021

I don't mind paying that for a truly amazing synth, but OB-E would have to be mega-minblowing compared to other synths out there. Maybe it is. Time to demo it...
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1632
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 23 Feb 2021

DAMMIT. It sounds so good.
DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT F*CK.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

User avatar
eusti
Moderator
Posts: 2660
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 23 Feb 2021

I guess that’s your answer then!!! 😜

D.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9123
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 23 Feb 2021

hurricane wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021
DAMMIT. It sounds so good.
DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT F*CK.
Do you have any other similar emulations to compare to?
I built an extremely similar patch to the "bird land" patch of one SEM at the beginning of the video using a version that many folks crap on regularly. I can't imagine there is sonically any other major difference but would love to hear from someone more familiar with this instrument than I am.
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1632
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 23 Feb 2021

selig wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021
hurricane wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021
DAMMIT. It sounds so good.
DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT F*CK.
Do you have any other similar emulations to compare to?
I built an extremely similar patch to the "bird land" patch of one SEM at the beginning of the video using a version that many folks crap on regularly. I can't imagine there is sonically any other major difference but would love to hear from someone more familiar with this instrument than I am.
Yes, I have Arturia's and Oberhausen. When it comes to monophonic leads though, there really isn't that huge a difference between any of them. But when it comes to the thick polyphonic and unison sounds, OB-E is a whole new ballgame.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

SmokeyJ
Posts: 15
Joined: 22 May 2018

Post 23 Feb 2021

Be forewarned that it is MAC only.

EDIT: see it was mentioned already...so be postwarned

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1632
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 23 Feb 2021

I'm really curious about the pricing. It'll be approximately $211 at its eventual normal price! That just seems absolutely crazy. That's DIVA territory.
Right now it's on sale at $183, if you apply the coupon you can get it for about $146. They don't do sales often, and I believe their last BF sale was in 2019, so could $146 be the lowest we're going to see it at for a very long time? I don't think so. I'll wait this one out.

I forgot I had OPX-PRO-II, and this was the only 'oberheimy' synth that gave me OB-E vibes. So much so that it has quelled my GAS. Until Thursday - Algoritm. Yup.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

User avatar
tronam
Posts: 390
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 23 Feb 2021

Windows users should be thanking GForce for all the money they've helped them save. πŸ˜‰ Maybe Hugo Brangwyn, OB-E's lead dev, is mainly a Mac developer and they'd need to contract out for a Windows port. I suspect they eventually will if the interest is high enough, but maybe they didn't initially because most of their paid customers are on Mac; only they would know. I did notice on their blog a recent post about an opening for a C++ software developer.

I'll definitely be trying out the demo because I've recently grown quite fond of Oberhausen and if this is even better, especially if they nail the programming workflow for the independent 8-SEM voices, then $146 might be doable for me. It's the kind of instrument that excites synth nerds, but I'd guess pretty niche in the grand scheme of things and priced accordingly.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8771
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 23 Feb 2021

Isn't this just 8 SEMs or am i missing something here?
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
tronam
Posts: 390
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 23 Feb 2021

selig wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021
hurricane wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021
DAMMIT. It sounds so good.
DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT F*CK.
Do you have any other similar emulations to compare to?
I built an extremely similar patch to the "bird land" patch of one SEM at the beginning of the video using a version that many folks crap on regularly. I can't imagine there is sonically any other major difference but would love to hear from someone more familiar with this instrument than I am.
With most things like this I think we probably all have enough tools by now which can accomplish pretty much any EQ, compression, distortion or synth related goal if we have a solid understanding of how to use them and good listening skills. For me the workflow and ease of use is almost as important as the sound itself because if I don't enjoy using it I will be far less inclined to load the plugin at all and will probably end up reaching for something instead. As someone who's never used an Oberheim and have no nostalgia for it, I may just pass on this if I can achieve a similar sound almost as easily in Oberhausen.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1632
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 23 Feb 2021

Loque wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021
Isn't this just 8 SEMs or am i missing something here?
The music and sounds in this are bad, but this gives you a glimpse of the possibilities:

https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

User avatar
tronam
Posts: 390
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 23 Feb 2021

hurricane wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021
I'm really curious about the pricing. It'll be approximately $211 at its eventual normal price! That just seems absolutely crazy. That's DIVA territory.
Right now it's on sale at $183, if you apply the coupon you can get it for about $146. They don't do sales often, and I believe their last BF sale was in 2019, so could $146 be the lowest we're going to see it at for a very long time? I don't think so. I'll wait this one out.
I recently spent over $130 for Softube's Summit Grand Channel eq/compressor channel strip. Considering the sheer glut of EQs and compressors on the market these days, that pricing is probably equally crazy, but I'll be honest; I don't regret it at all. Unlike numerous plugins I've impulse purchased over the years and just never end up using, I use Summit constantly across all of my projects. I like the sound, it's very fast and enjoyable to use, and it has helped me be a better critical listener. I'm someone who tends to easily get bogged down by technical details and mired in decision paralysis. That doesn't mean I couldn't get very similar sonic results using even built-in DAW effects, but at least for me, how I interact with an instrument or plugin is a huge factor. So, $146 for an instrument I might greatly enjoy using doesn't sound that crazy to me. I'm not that hard up for cash that I can't spend a few hundred bucks a year on niche, boutique synth emulations.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1632
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 23 Feb 2021

tronam wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021
hurricane wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021
I'm really curious about the pricing. It'll be approximately $211 at its eventual normal price! That just seems absolutely crazy. That's DIVA territory.
Right now it's on sale at $183, if you apply the coupon you can get it for about $146. They don't do sales often, and I believe their last BF sale was in 2019, so could $146 be the lowest we're going to see it at for a very long time? I don't think so. I'll wait this one out.
I recently spent over $130 for Softube's Summit Grand Channel eq/compressor channel strip. Considering the sheer glut of EQs and compressors on the market these days, that pricing is probably equally crazy, but I'll be honest; I don't regret it at all. Unlike numerous plugins I've impulse purchased over the years and just never end up using, I use Summit constantly across all of my projects. I like the sound, it's very fast and enjoyable to use, and it has helped me be a better critical listener. I'm someone who tends to easily get bogged down by technical details and mired in decision paralysis. That doesn't mean I couldn't get very similar sonic results using even built-in DAW effects, but at least for me, how I interact with an instrument or plugin is a huge factor. So, $146 for an instrument I might greatly enjoy using doesn't sound that crazy to me. I'm not that hard up for cash that I can't spend a few hundred bucks a year on niche, boutique synth emulations.
Great, so considering you already have a pricey channel strip, would you purchase another boutique channel strip at a similar price? Or are you pretty much set with channel strips for now? For you to spend another $135 on ANOTHER channel strip, it would have to be a pretty amazing channel strip, right? So here - Metric Halo's Channel Strip 3 is $179 right now, and it's supposed to be the preferred channel strip of the legendary Serban Ghenea. It also got better reviews than your Softube channel strip. I'm sure if you bought it at that price that you wouldn't regret it either. But WOULD you buy it now that you already have a $135 channel strip?

It's not decision paralysis, it's decision analysis.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8771
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 23 Feb 2021

hurricane wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021
Loque wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021
Isn't this just 8 SEMs or am i missing something here?
The music and sounds in this are bad, but this gives you a glimpse of the possibilities:

The answer is, it's nothing beyond 8 SEMs?
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
tronam
Posts: 390
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 24 Feb 2021

hurricane wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021
Great, so considering you already have a pricey channel strip, would you purchase another boutique channel strip at a similar price? Or are you pretty much set with channel strips for now? For you to spend another $135 on ANOTHER channel strip, it would have to be a pretty amazing channel strip, right? So here - Metric Halo's Channel Strip 3 is $179 right now, and it's supposed to be the preferred channel strip of the legendary Serban Ghenea. It also got better reviews than your Softube channel strip. I'm sure if you bought it at that price that you wouldn't regret it either. But WOULD you buy it now that you already have a $135 channel strip?

It's not decision paralysis, it's decision analysis.
My reference to decision paralysis had nothing to do with choosing between plugins, buyers remorse or plugin developer economics. I was referring to the details of music production and getting easily distracted by things like frequency analyzers or heavily granular device settings. I don't consider the channel strip overly "pricey" because I use it all of the time, I like the sound of it and it sped up my workflow by simplifying it. The point is that value is subjective. OB-E's price may seem "absolutely crazy" to a more budget conscious buyer, but to someone looking for the ultimate emulation of a synth they may have always wanted, perhaps it isn't that expensive after all. I own both Diva and Omnisphere, but actually use them far less than other synths like Polysix, Repro1/5, Oberhausen, Thor, Antidote etc... In retrospect they didn't end up being very good investments, but the channel strip was.

EDIT: I checked out Metric Halo Channel Strip 3. I'd like to think it was an ironic recommendation.

Image

User avatar
tallguy
Posts: 234
Joined: 11 Jan 2018

Post 24 Feb 2021

Installed the demo. Some amazing sounds in there, a few one-button-Vangelis presets. Undeniably lush with an analog edge.

That said, you have to program 8 separate synths to make one of those sounds. It's not a style of sound designs that suits everyone including myself. I couldn't find an init preset so it's hard to judge how hard it is to dial in a sound from scratch.

There are some quirks that I find irritating. The fact the sequences don't play unless the DAW's playhead is moving. You can't just hold down a key to hear a sequenced preset.

Another thing, you can't resize the interface by dragging the bottom right edge. Instead we get this weird hack workaround where you have to close and re-open the window after dialling in a size. Switches don't update their graphics until you release the mouse. Little things, but for that price, in 2021, I expect a bit more polish. The manual suggests this was a project that started many years ago. Maybe that explains it.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1632
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 24 Feb 2021

tronam wrote: ↑
24 Feb 2021
DIT: I checked out Metric Halo Channel Strip 3. I'd like to think it was an ironic recommendation.
Not to derail the thread, but MH3 is the preferred channel strip of John Hanes and Serban Ghenea - who have mixed the most popular hits of the last few years.

https://serbanghenea.com

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/john-ha ... 89/credits
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1795
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 24 Feb 2021

The Metric Halo plugins are really old now and are known to have aliasing. The EQ is also not decramped. By modern standards they are not up to snuff.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... count=2624

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... count=2624

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... count=1492

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1632
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 24 Feb 2021

miscend wrote: ↑
24 Feb 2021
The Metric Halo plugins are really old now and are known to have aliasing. The EQ is also not decramped. By modern standards they are not up to snuff.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... count=2624

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... count=2624

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... count=1492
True, yet both of those guys still use it as their number 1 channel strip. So.....
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1414
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 24 Feb 2021

Is there not a SEM re? :think:
R11 Suite

My music made in Reason : https://audius.co/jeff40529158

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: reusenoise and 0 guests