Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
Billy+

23 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
23 Feb 2021

Lol

Yeah—buy it no matter what the cost!

Show them with your wallets how much you value perpetual licenses!!! :D

If you don't buy it and more users access Algoritm via subscription, well you know what that means for the future... :puf_bigsmile:
Well unfortunately I still think the future is very uncertain and I made up my mind to not by anything from the shop until I see improvements in the main DAW which MUST include the features I'm after else I'm off to buy Logic.

DaveyG

23 Feb 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
23 Feb 2021
Maybe it is an illusion and we should be unhappy 24/7 until RS12?
What??? You think we'll be HAPPY with Reason 12?
You're weird. :lol:

ahuimanu

23 Feb 2021

I think I've figured the new reason out... (see New Coke)

Reason is evolving to meet the market and I am aging out of it. I think I get it. There are more things to compete for your attention these days, so the subscription and constant flow of "beats" and "sounds" fits the consumer palate that doesn't linger long enough for mastery in a single dimension. To be fair, I think the cumulative work is leading to new forms of mastery, just not those that are familiar. I reached this conclusion as my inbox had the latest marketing missive from reasonstudios where I am encouraged to extend my fast food diet with splice and reason+. As I watched the featured artist (Sango) work, I realized what a great experience is being facilitated for him. I also realized that the original appeal of "the rack" for me isn't how he is connecting with reason. I liked the wires and the fiddly bits, and he likes a quick and deep browsing guide to find, on demand, the flavors that resonate with his mood now. None of this existed for me "back then" so figuring out how the CZ101 (and before that the VL-1) worked was how I conceptualized making "beats" and "sounds." Long and arduous process for minimal results.

So, Propellerheads, its me and not you.

It is sad to age out of something, but that is the way of things... Moreover, it was Heraclitus that said that we could never step into the same river twice. To say that this isn't your "granddaddy's Reason" is to admit that it has evolved to not be my Reason.

They say that the "...the road to hell is paved with good intentions." They also say that we create our own hell. My dissatisfaction with reason studios' direction is my own and to stick around, hoping that "he'll change, I can change him," is the stuff of battered spouses (to wax melodramatic).

I can't pretend that today's "reason+" is the same reason I embraced in version 4, but then again it is. Reason doesn't want to be my DAW, it was to be a "beat maker" rack, which is what it started off as. I haven't changed, the world around me has. Last aphorism: "when one door closes, another opens." As I am likely to close the door on my commitment to Reason, perhaps the strategy and direction will open the new doors they are hoping for.

The new Ableton is out, but that never seemed like "home" for me. Should I just return to the Cubase land from whence I came? Which is the "Fletcher Memorial Home" for those who pine for what was?

No, I won't let the door hit me on my way out and, yes, "get off my lawn."
:lol:

Jagwah

24 Feb 2021

Man that new CEO could really get the whole community on his side if the next few Reason upgrades were FOCUSED on core upgrades, and they actually stopped putting all their efforts and resources into anything except that.
Last edited by Jagwah on 24 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Aosta

24 Feb 2021

Jagwah wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Man that new CEO could really get the whole community on his side if the next few Reason upgrades were FOCUSED on core upgrades, and they actually stopped putting all their efforts and resources into anything except that.
I've had a growing feeling over the last couple of versions that for whatever reason they lack the ability to fully move the software forward in it's functionality and instead are pumping out shiny objects to calm the customers.
Yes, things like players make creating music easier but they feel like a bandage of sorts covering the lack of deeper functionality in the whole system.
It is kind of ironic when the Reason mantra has always been to make creating music easier for users yet basic flaws have been pointed out for years by users and still not addressed.....like I said, I have no idea why?
Tend the flame

Arjanders

24 Feb 2021

ahuimanu wrote:
23 Feb 2021
I think I've figured the new reason out... (see New Coke)

Reason is evolving to meet the market and I am aging out of it. I think I get it. There are more things to compete for your attention these days, so the subscription and constant flow of "beats" and "sounds" fits the consumer palate that doesn't linger long enough for mastery in a single dimension. To be fair, I think the cumulative work is leading to new forms of mastery, just not those that are familiar. I reached this conclusion as my inbox had the latest marketing missive from reasonstudios where I am encouraged to extend my fast food diet with splice and reason+. As I watched the featured artist (Sango) work, I realized what a great experience is being facilitated for him. I also realized that the original appeal of "the rack" for me isn't how he is connecting with reason. I liked the wires and the fiddly bits, and he likes a quick and deep browsing guide to find, on demand, the flavors that resonate with his mood now. None of this existed for me "back then" so figuring out how the CZ101 (and before that the VL-1) worked was how I conceptualized making "beats" and "sounds." Long and arduous process for minimal results.

So, Propellerheads, its me and not you.

It is sad to age out of something, but that is the way of things... Moreover, it was Heraclitus that said that we could never step into the same river twice. To say that this isn't your "granddaddy's Reason" is to admit that it has evolved to not be my Reason.

They say that the "...the road to hell is paved with good intentions." They also say that we create our own hell. My dissatisfaction with reason studios' direction is my own and to stick around, hoping that "he'll change, I can change him," is the stuff of battered spouses (to wax melodramatic).

I can't pretend that today's "reason+" is the same reason I embraced in version 4, but then again it is. Reason doesn't want to be my DAW, it was to be a "beat maker" rack, which is what it started off as. I haven't changed, the world around me has. Last aphorism: "when one door closes, another opens." As I am likely to close the door on my commitment to Reason, perhaps the strategy and direction will open the new doors they are hoping for.

The new Ableton is out, but that never seemed like "home" for me. Should I just return to the Cubase land from whence I came? Which is the "Fletcher Memorial Home" for those who pine for what was?

No, I won't let the door hit me on my way out and, yes, "get off my lawn."
:lol:
Thanks, really nice to read.

Jagwah

24 Feb 2021

meh

Onkel Paul

24 Feb 2021

Hi,
I have followed this for a while now. Now that the mood is somewhat calmer, I like to add my 2 cents.
I am a longstanding user of REASON, but not the most typical. Actually, it is no good fit for my purpose, but I was attracted by the Rack and the cabling on the back. The mixer had its appeal as well. But I am more into midi and for some reason that is related to recent developments into VST3.
I use Band in a Box to create music and need a DAW to further process it. Now that there is a VST3 PlugIn from Band in a Box (seems like making the main program a plugin for competitors to run is en vougue) I would like to use that. So if REASON “the DAW” would deliver some enhancements in direction of MIDI and VST3 I would still invest into updates. But – I came to REASON because a friend has it, so we can cooperate. For him REASON is a hindrance now. He moves to Studio 1 and what he showed me is very impressive. Also the Band in a Box Forum (where the same discussions along the line: “I do not like the direction they go. It is all about new content and longstanding feature requests are ignored” take place. Yet in a different tone.) has many positive comments on Studio 1 and how well that DAW complements Band in a Box.
So I see that people already move away from REASON and I may too, if there will be no updates, no perpetual license and I may pause updates (should they happen) if the DAW enhancement is not present or worth it.
Because of this uncertain future (and trust lost into the company) I will not invest further into REs.
And I will also not invest into (any) subscription that leaves me with nothing in the end.
The funny thing is, it seems I have outgrown REASON. Me, a dwarf regarding music making. Does that show how small REASON is as a DAW?

Some addendum with regards to business management. There is always this consideration of “sunken cost” when replacing a past investment. How much will I loose and what is to gain.
I have a Nektar Panoroma and when I bought it, it was because of the dedicated hardware that was so well integrated. I will not lose this, as nektar supports Studio 1 as well. (Seems the company is unhappy with the further development of Remote and may find Reason Studios unreliable).
I bought REASON Suite and as I have the Rack PlugIn, I will not lose the Rack Devices.
I will lose some of the learning invested over time, but I would need to learn new things anyhow, if the DAW would receive some enhancements eventually.
So, not much will be lost; but a new world lies ahead and there is much to gain.

So, it is easy to switch. That is a bad sign for a company that is looking for customer retainment. But many of the forum users raise concerns that this is not the focus of the new owners anyhow.
Last edited by Onkel Paul on 24 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

ECHLN

24 Feb 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
23 Feb 2021
I don't get why it's so hard to have choices.

From a happy RS Suite 11 user, helping reaching page 100 :puf_smile:
That has been the trend for a very long time here. Its part of the Reason (lol) I barely post but come here for news and interesting reads.

bxbrkrz

24 Feb 2021

ECHLN wrote:
24 Feb 2021
bxbrkrz wrote:
23 Feb 2021
I don't get why it's so hard to have choices.

From a happy RS Suite 11 user, helping reaching page 100 :puf_smile:
That has been the trend for a very long time here. Its part of the Reason (lol) I barely post but come here for news and interesting reads.
Don't forget the happy cringe memes. They are vital pushing our universal goal toward the 100th happy page :puf_smile:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

moneykube

24 Feb 2021

I was looking for the download of Reason Suite 11.3.5 ( found the regular app download) Likely no difference since the racks are what makes it suite correct? Anyways... while I searched the net after no luck on reason studio site ... I found a disturbing trend and perhaps the reason for the change to a new authorization process> if these links actual work and are not click bait.... Many links found ... but I can unload up load 3 examples....you get the idea.. I hope this did not happen !
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.36.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.36.10 AM.png (24.16 KiB) Viewed 18572 times
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.35.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.35.44 AM.png (25.03 KiB) Viewed 18572 times
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.33.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.33.22 AM.png (47.14 KiB) Viewed 18572 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

dasmode

24 Feb 2021

[quote=moneykube post_id=544585 time=1614182341 user_id=5186]
I was looking for the download of Reason Suite 11.3.5 ( found the regular app download) Likely no difference since the racks are what makes it suite correct? Anyways... while I searched the net after no luck on reason studio site ... I found a disturbing trend and perhaps the reason for the change to a new authorization process> if these links actual work and are not click bait.... Many links found ... but I can unload up load 3 examples....you get the idea.. I hope this did not happen !
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.36.10 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.35.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.33.22 AM.png
[/quote]

These are scam sites. It could be Cubase, Windows, or whatever program you are looking for.

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

moneykube wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I was looking for the download of Reason Suite 11.3.5
Yeah I think it would be handy if we could download all builds, rather than the current latest.

I don't think it would take much work for RS to make them all available!

Have you tried asking support for a specific version?

joeyluck

24 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Feb 2021
moneykube wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I was looking for the download of Reason Suite 11.3.5
Yeah I think it would be handy if we could download all builds, rather than the current latest.

I don't think it would take much work for RS to make them all available!

Have you tried asking support for a specific version?
They have all always been available.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/updates

Or are you asking about trying to download and authorize versions older than the earliest version you own?

[EDIT] I guess you mean the Suite versions?

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
24 Feb 2021

Or are you asking about trying to download and authorize versions older than the earliest version you own?

Actually I'm not asking per say. But if you're saying that ALL builds including every revision is available from that URL then excellent - moneykube is after Suite build 11.3.5 can you find the link and post it for him?

moneykube

24 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Feb 2021
joeyluck wrote:
24 Feb 2021

Actually I'm not asking per say. But if you're saying that ALL builds including every revision is available from that URL then excellent - moneykube is after Suite build 11.3.5 can you find the link and post it for him?
yes thanks Billy.... I knew the other link, but was curious if > since I have all the racks. that link for 11.3.5 on Joey's post would be enough ? > or do I need the suite download? Hoping to install a version without the ram eating bug.
i read 11.3.6 also has that bug. No one mentioned 11.3 .5 having it... and I am getting tired of updating licenses every time I open reason... I have many racks and depending on server load , it can take some time to license every time.

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

moneykube wrote:
24 Feb 2021
yes thanks Billy.... I knew the other link, but was curious if > since I have all the racks. that link for 11.3.5 on Joey's post would be enough ? > or do I need the suite download? Hoping to install a version without the ram eating bug.
i read 11.3.6 also has that bug. No one mentioned 11.3 .5 having it... and I am getting tired of updating licenses every time I open reason... I have many racks and depending on server load , it can take some time to license every time.
Post back your results ;)

Not sure if we are going to see a fix anytime soon.....

Gothi

24 Feb 2021

I replaced my Reason studio frontpage with the shop link and suddenly everything is back to normal. No subscription entrance screaming at me at the doorstep to Reason. Don’t tell me it can be that simple, I am missing something, right?

...right?!

moneykube

24 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Feb 2021
moneykube wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Post back your results ;)

Not sure if we are going to see a fix anytime soon.....
I have the same feeling... just not sure if I need to download a suite install of it or not... if so ... I can't find it... if anyone has link or can shed some light on this... much appreciated... if not I will ask support. I will report if ram bug still there or not. Fix is taking too long if it is indeed coming.

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

moneykube wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I have the same feeling... just not sure if I need to download a suite install of it or not... if so ... I can't find it... if anyone has link or can shed some light on this... much appreciated... if not I will ask support and will report if ram bug still there or not. Fix is taking too long if it is indeed coming.
Yeah I know what you mean, suite includes more RE's than standard, however if you look at your account page you will see that ALL are listed so you should be able to sync all the devices and that will give you your suite back in essence.

Got to ask, have you been in contact with support with regards to downgrading suite 11.3.5?

And I'm still puzzled about the licensing issue that you have, I take it that you upgraded to the plus version at some point.

moneykube

24 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Feb 2021
moneykube wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I have the same feeling... just not sure if I need to download a suite install of it or not... if so ... I can't find it... if anyone has link or can shed some light on this... much appreciated... if not I will ask support and will report if ram bug still there or not. Fix is taking too long if it is indeed coming.
Yeah I know what you mean, suite includes more RE's than standard, however if you look at your account page you will see that ALL are listed so you should be able to sync all the devices and that will give you your suite back in essence.

Got to ask, have you been in contact with support with regards to downgrading suite 11.3.5?

And I'm still puzzled about the licensing issue that you have, I take it that you upgraded to the plus version at some point.
never upgraded to plus... it started happening when companion was added in 11.3.7... just sent a support ticket to see if I need a suite download or not... since all racks are in my account, likely the regular download "should" work( don't think there are any devices in suite not in rack format) but perhaps there is... just checking before I try... I have the 11.3.6 suite download but that is said to have the ram eating bug... it is weird... never signed up to + , but yet I have to licence racks every time I open reason... annoying... and not good if I go jam somewhere I can't access internet. Tried unauthorizing 11.3.7 and reauthorizing... no luck... so I tried 11.3.8... same problem. Was going to skip 11.3.8 because it was for French preferences bug but hoped perhaps they fixed the licensing issue in that update. Sadly no.
Last edited by moneykube on 24 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

moneykube wrote:
24 Feb 2021
never upgraded to plus... it started happening when companion was added in 11.3.7... just sent a support ticket to see if I need a suite download or not... since all racks are in my account, likely the regular download "should" work( don't think there are any devices in suite not in rack format) but perhaps there is... just checking before I try... I have the 11.3.6 suite download but that is said to have the ram eating bug... it is weird... never signed up to + , but yet I have to licence racks every time I open reason... annoying... and not good if I go jam somewhere I can't access internet.
Well in all fairness 11.3.7 was plus if you think about it!

It's the version that included companion in preferences and I think they tried to lock everyone out but didn't get it working right and only succeeded in locking the French out :lol:

That will be why 11.3.8 came out so quickly, they already had it sorted for release day. ;)

moneykube

24 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Feb 2021
moneykube wrote:
24 Feb 2021
never upgraded to plus... it started happening when companion was added in 11.3.7... just sent a support ticket to see if I need a suite download or not... since all racks are in my account, likely the regular download "should" work( don't think there are any devices in suite not in rack format) but perhaps there is... just checking before I try... I have the 11.3.6 suite download but that is said to have the ram eating bug... it is weird... never signed up to + , but yet I have to licence racks every time I open reason... annoying... and not good if I go jam somewhere I can't access internet.
Well in all fairness 11.3.7 was plus if you think about it!

It's the version that included companion in preferences and I think they tried to lock everyone out but didn't get it working right and only succeeded in locking the French out :lol:

That will be why 11.3.8 came out so quickly, they already had it sorted for release day. ;)
that would have been good to put in the vague notes on the update to 11.3.7.... it said nothing about it in notes at the time.(general performance updates and fixes it stated)>>>
On social media many are complaining about having to licence twice !!! So it is not just me.
Last edited by moneykube on 24 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

moneykube wrote:
24 Feb 2021

that would have been good to put in the vague notes on the update to 11.3.7//// said nothing about it in notes at the time.
Yeah when the release notes are vague I always come to RT and see what others are saying before I click update.

I think it all got released earlier due to the leaked images that started all the speculation.
IMG_2445.PNG
IMG_2445.PNG (76.16 KiB) Viewed 16903 times

moneykube

24 Feb 2021

checking authorizer... I have all the racks (had most before) that come with suite... so the 11.3.5 download may do the trick :clap:
Scenic Hybrid Instrument - Reason Suite only
Complex-1 Modular Synthesizer - Reason Suite only
Umpf Club Drums - Reason Suite only
Umpf Retro Beats - Reason Suite only
Reason Electric Bass - Reason Suite only
Reason Drum Kits - Reason Suite only
Processed Pianos - Reason Suite only
Layers Wave Edition - Reason Suite only
Layers - Reason Suite only
Parsec Spectral Synthesizer - Reason Suite only.
Radical Keys - Reason Suite only
Polar Dual Pitch Shifter - Reason Suite only
Rotor Rotary Speaker - Reason Suite only
PolyStep Sequencer - Reason Suite only
Quad Note Generator - Reason Suite only
Drum Sequencer - Reason Suite only

• Information