Algoritm : new FM synth from RS

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
antic604
Posts: 735
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 22 Feb 2021

1st video is up... in 4 days :D

Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6975
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 22 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
22 Feb 2021
1st video is up... in 4 days :D

* sigh *

Full disclosure: I hate when Youtubers post Livestream links like this days in advance. My constant need for instant gratification runs into problems. :lol:
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2144
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 22 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Feb 2021

* sigh *

Full disclosure: I hate when Youtubers post Livestream links like this days in advance. My constant need for instant gratification runs into problems. :lol:
Even fuller disclosure - I'm not a fan of that particular channel :o

I wonder if RS / Ryan is going to be on before.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
Current POLL go vote now

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6975
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 22 Feb 2021

I wish Loopop did plug-in reviews as well. Love to see him put Algoritm through its paces - his hardware reviews and demos are some of the best on YouTube. Super detailed and 100% unbiased.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1673
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 22 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Feb 2021
...and 100% unbiased.
I know right, isn't that just awesome and refreshing? *WINK WINK*
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 735
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 23 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
22 Feb 2021
Even fuller disclosure - I'm not a fan of that particular channel :o
Why? ( since you decided to share that opinion )
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
RoryM0
Posts: 248
Joined: 21 Jun 2017

Post 23 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Feb 2021
I wish Loopop did plug-in reviews as well. Love to see him put Algoritm through its paces - his hardware reviews and demos are some of the best on YouTube. Super detailed and 100% unbiased.
Absolutely. Loopop is the bee's knees and one of only three music tech/review YouTubers I still subscribe to. The other two being Ricky Tinez and Starsky Carr. Too much noise with the others.

Wish there were more people using Reason on YT. Many that you can find seem to be hiphop/trap/'making a beat' style stuff which isn't my bag. I like Adam Fielding, Ned Rush used to do Reason stuff a decade ago but he's all Ableton Live now (very good though). I did watch Venus Theory a bit when I saw him doing Reason stuff but stopped when I realised that he was just too click-baity for my liking and also he's one of those people that think drinking coffee is a personality. Unsubscribe.

Gosh
Posts: 38
Joined: 16 Jul 2015

Post 23 Feb 2021

Sorry if this has been asked before: will we be able to authorize algoritm on the usb ignition key once it is available?
Thanks

DecafDreams
Posts: 159
Joined: 07 Oct 2020

Post 23 Feb 2021

Gosh wrote:
23 Feb 2021
Sorry if this has been asked before: will we be able to authorize algoritm on the usb ignition key once it is available?
Thanks
I would be very surprised if not. It should just use the same mechanism as before for authorisation. It'll be in the shop to buy, then you do a Sync All in your account to get it downloaded and authorised onto your Ignition/Computer/CodeMeter.

Unless RS have got something new planned up their sleeves but I doubt it...

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4034
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 23 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Feb 2021
I wish Loopop did plug-in reviews as well. Love to see him put Algoritm through its paces - his hardware reviews and demos are some of the best on YouTube. Super detailed and 100% unbiased.
Sonic Lab are great too, thorough and I also love Dr.Mix although he night not necessarily be as thorough as he's not always reviewing just demo'ing.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.29 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2442
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 23 Feb 2021

Reviewing software is not as appealing as watching people turning synth knobs on youtube. I am sure youtubers are looking at their analytics. White Sea Studio is the only one I remember doing plugin reviews regularly.
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2144
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 23 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
23 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
22 Feb 2021
Even fuller disclosure - I'm not a fan of that particular channel :o
Why? ( since you decided to share that opinion )
I can't ever seem to watch without having to pause the videos, the content is good but I think sometimes he could do with taking a breath and slowing down just a bit.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
Current POLL go vote now

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 735
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 23 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
23 Feb 2021
I can't ever seem to watch without having to pause the videos, the content is good but I think sometimes he could do with taking a breath and slowing down just a bit.
Interesting. For Bitwig there is (was, she's since moved to Studio One AFAIK) a youtuber who'd do a 60-90m video for a topic that could've been covered in 5-10m max. So I kinda know what you mean, just in reverse ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2144
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 23 Feb 2021

Yeah like I said I just find it difficult to just watch, I'm sure it's just that YouTube style like the constant cut jump thing, but just maybe a pause or two between sentences would make it easier on the brain.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
Current POLL go vote now

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6975
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 23 Feb 2021

hurricane wrote:
22 Feb 2021
I know right, isn't that just awesome and refreshing? *WINK WINK*
Image
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
tronam
Posts: 395
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 23 Feb 2021

Here's hoping their unique spin on this will result in an FM synth I actually find myself using regularly beyond curiosity noodling. FM's potential is vast, if not endless, so I'd love to see them take an original approach to sound programming from scratch. I'm quite fond of Ableton's Operator as one of the friendlier, more practical examples, so there's plenty of potential for design creativity.

User avatar
kuhliloach
Posts: 822
Joined: 09 Dec 2015

Post 23 Feb 2021

Aosta wrote:
16 Feb 2021
I don't really care about a new synth, surely we have enough 'gear'. I'd rather see improvements to the program myself.
I'd be more hyped if they announced a new Combinator.
I completely agree and I have to wonder if there is a single Reason user out there that wants this over program improvements. From what I can tell RS just does whatever they want and never really considers what customers want. Its almost as if they intentionally upset and troll their own customers.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 735
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 24 Feb 2021

kuhliloach wrote:
23 Feb 2021
...Its almost as if they intentionally upset and troll their own customers.
Yes, and we're all into S&M therefore we pay them for it! :thumbup:
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
zoidkirb
Posts: 613
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post 24 Feb 2021

Reason has always been known for its synths IMO so I think it's proper for them to at the very least have one great entry for each type of synth. Now that Px7 is gone they need a new FM synth. And they needed Europa as a modern Wavetable hybrid, Grain for granular, Friktion for PM.

VariableX
Posts: 534
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 24 Feb 2021

kuhliloach wrote:
23 Feb 2021
Aosta wrote:
16 Feb 2021
I don't really care about a new synth, surely we have enough 'gear'. I'd rather see improvements to the program myself.
I'd be more hyped if they announced a new Combinator.
I completely agree and I have to wonder if there is a single Reason user out there that wants this over program improvements. From what I can tell RS just does whatever they want and never really considers what customers want. Its almost as if they intentionally upset and troll their own customers.
wish we had a like button cos i completely agree with agreeing 😎

ECHLN
Posts: 25
Joined: 23 May 2019
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Post 24 Feb 2021

I have an empty'ish beat waiting for this :D

chaosroyale
Posts: 652
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 24 Feb 2021

I think that was true in 2000-2008, but since Thor, all the synths in Reason have been very much B-tier "built-in DAW synths", nothing that could survive as a standalone VST. For example, Europa is "fine", it's probably the best "generic boring wavetable synth" to be included in a DAW, but compared to something like Vital, which is FREE, it's not on the same level. Grain was a huge missed opportunity, not even as powerful as abandonware like "The Mangle". And Monotone is an embarrassment that annoys me every time I see the thumbnail taking up space in the browser. Friktion is the only one I've seen recently that looked like it actually had some creativity, passion, and originality, but I haven't demo'd it, so I cannot say anything about the actual sound.
zoidkirb wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Reason has always been known for its synths IMO so I think it's proper for them to at the very least have one great entry for each type of synth. Now that Px7 is gone they need a new FM synth. And they needed Europa as a modern Wavetable hybrid, Grain for granular, Friktion for PM.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2107
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 24 Feb 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
23 Feb 2021
EnochLight wrote:
22 Feb 2021
I wish Loopop did plug-in reviews as well. Love to see him put Algoritm through its paces - his hardware reviews and demos are some of the best on YouTube. Super detailed and 100% unbiased.
Absolutely. Loopop is the bee's knees and one of only three music tech/review YouTubers I still subscribe to. The other two being Ricky Tinez and Starsky Carr. Too much noise with the others.

Wish there were more people using Reason on YT. Many that you can find seem to be hiphop/trap/'making a beat' style stuff which isn't my bag. I like Adam Fielding, Ned Rush used to do Reason stuff a decade ago but he's all Ableton Live now (very good though). I did watch Venus Theory a bit when I saw him doing Reason stuff but stopped when I realised that he was just too click-baity for my liking and also he's one of those people that think drinking coffee is a personality. Unsubscribe.
Never heard of that starsky one, will check. Thanks.

Loopop is a bit boring unless you're interested in buying the piece or have purchased it and want to learn the bare minimum on how to use it...

Tinez is fun to watch regardless. It helps that I actually like the music he makes.

Stimming is another great to watch whether you're interested in the product or not. He has made me slightly more interested in the new Novation one even though it isn't for me, but it looks fun!

The others... I really dislike YouTubers who use dumb thumbnails with Photoshop, facial expressions (😱), retard click bait titles, emojis, etc. That's for gossip content. That's for children. Way beneath us. It makes them look amateur, and stenches of desperation. Like their content is so weak that they need to go for cheap marketing strategies to make up for it. Losers.

User avatar
froggo_gfx
Posts: 40
Joined: 28 Dec 2020

Post 24 Feb 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I think that was true in 2000-2008, but since Thor, all the synths in Reason have been very much B-tier "built-in DAW synths", nothing that could survive as a standalone VST. For example, Europa is "fine", it's probably the best "generic boring wavetable synth" to be included in a DAW, but compared to something like Vital, which is FREE, it's not on the same level. Grain was a huge missed opportunity, not even as powerful as abandonware like "The Mangle". And Monotone is an embarrassment that annoys me every time I see the thumbnail taking up space in the browser. Friktion is the only one I've seen recently that looked like it actually had some creativity, passion, and originality, but I haven't demo'd it, so I cannot say anything about the actual sound.
zoidkirb wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Reason has always been known for its synths IMO so I think it's proper for them to at the very least have one great entry for each type of synth. Now that Px7 is gone they need a new FM synth. And they needed Europa as a modern Wavetable hybrid, Grain for granular, Friktion for PM.
Going off-topic here, but what’s wrong with Grain exactly? To me it’s the most useable one UX-wise and sound sculpting options are at least decent..?

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6975
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 24 Feb 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Grain was a huge missed opportunity, not even as powerful as abandonware like "The Mangle".
froggo_gfx wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Going off-topic here, but what’s wrong with Grain exactly? To me it’s the most useable one UX-wise and sound sculpting options are at least decent..?
Agreed. Grain is an excellent "workhorse" granular synth that's extremely easy to program. Is it the best out there? Of course not, but I'd argue that even the content that comes with Grain out of the box makes it far more useful than "The Mangle" ever was (I have since deleted that abandonware VST so i don't know if they did anything else with it).

But I'm biased, as Grain is one of my favorite Reason instruments.

I suspect that Algoritm will be similarly polarizing. Many users will hate it, many users will love it, and many users will just see it as a missed opportunity. Such is the way of things.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests