Does Reason need to join the party and get its own controller?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
arnigretar

20 Feb 2021

It will then have to be specific imo... for one particular synth, or device. Because If they made for the mixer, it would be big - and most likely costly. It would be cool to have Propellerhead made Kong hardware. Or subtractor interface. But that's just me wishing... not something I see them doing.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

EdGrip

20 Feb 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Feb 2021
antic604 wrote:
19 Feb 2021

You mean Akai :)
If you'd only bothered to read the thread before commenting 🙄
If only the original post had given the correct name in the first place, amirite??? 🙄

MaMue

20 Feb 2021

Concept Render:
2.jpg
2.jpg (164 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (145.22 KiB) Viewed 2526 times

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2021

MaMue wrote:
20 Feb 2021
Concept Render:

2.jpg

1.jpg
Please don't tease us like this ...

Gorgeous!!

deeplink
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2021

I think if clip launching ever becomes a thing, RS would have to create a controller to accompany it (or maybe Nektar)
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

gullum

20 Feb 2021

No mainly because IMO it would not work for the majority of people as we all have different ways of working.

JunctionArsonist

20 Feb 2021

Since Reason doesnt have any particular workflow (there are near infinite ways to accomplish anything with a modular rack), the most ideal thing might be that we all jump onto the next controller that comes out with a bunch of rotary encoders and buttons and hope the community can make a great remote map.

Reason Studios has done a poor job of making effective remote maps or even engaging this community to make them baked into reason. We are all in this together.

Anyone else excited for the BCR32?

16161d

20 Feb 2021

I feel like “DAW controllers” are a bit of a gimmick, with maybe the exception of the Push which seems to have really been engineered for use with ableton. I dread to think what a Reason controller would look like. Remote has somewhat stagnated over the years but I remember way back when I had my notation remote SL MKII it was absolutely amazing. That being said, I seem to remember a few years ago at some conferences it was teased when they were testing porting Europa everywhere that their code made it quite possible to implement rack devices into hardware and people talked about what that might look like, a standalone hardware subtractor? Or would it be something more like a generic midi interface which lets you load in rack devices, that could be really cool.

There’s a modular unit called Daisypatch (https://www.electro-smith.com/daisy/patch) by Electrosmith which lets you load gen~ patches from Max/Msp into it, and it sort of looks like a hardware combinator device, you have your code within the gen~ patch, and then some controls and CV patch points for modulating stuff. That’s the closest thing to what I imagine could be unique to Reason. There’s been similar things like the organelle, axoloti, and norns by monome which let you design patches using their own software or pure data (another visual programming software similar to Max), but Daisypatch seems to more closely fit with Reason in particular, now imagine rather than uploading gen~ code, that it came with Reason stock devices? You could browse these through the menu, and assign various controls to the panel like you would on a combinator. You could have it sync with your licenses to use Rack Extensions. Imagine being able to take any reason rack devices and easily implement it into a eurorack setup.

It seems highly unlikely they would ever go in this direction cause Eurorack is quite a niche or at least separate market from other standard and more consumer friendly music tech (although maybe this is changing, as there is a trend now of MIDI controllers offering CV ins and outs, and a lot more semi-modular hardware being made), and Reason seems to swing more towards marketing to that audience rather than really pushing how modular and experimental you can really get with Reason, which isn't a bad thing because Reason actually is one of the most approachable DAW's to get into music production even if you never flip the rack or touch a programmer. But it doesn't make sense for them to do another MIDI controller with remote support, it's been done, and I feel we've moved on from those ugly controllers that just give you loads of buttons faders and knobs, the only way a reason controller would ever make sense then is if it was in modular form and made use of whatever tech they were playing with to enable porting of devices to hardware.

QVprod

20 Feb 2021

Remote needs some overhaul before this should happen. The Nektar Panorama's integration with Reason is top notch as far integrations go, but is limited by how Remote works. Particularly for controlling fx. Needing a sequencer lane to do so makes it more trouble than it's worth for anything other than automation.

If that ever changes, I'd love to see something similar to Komplete Kontrol perhaps with some of the workflow aspects of the Panoramas.

tiker01

21 Feb 2021

I am waiting for improvements on hardware integration for a long time. Remote is not bad but it could be way better. A controller following the concepts of Korg Microkontrol (telling you what a particular controller is controlling) perhaps with multi colour pads (Kong should get an update to support this) would be great.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2021

DAW controllers suffer from VST3's failure to include a sophisticated generalized real-time plugin input mapping.

Hardware controllers are still finding their feet. Push has shown us what good integration looks like, and Novation has shown us how versatile pads can be for controlling devices.

The AlphaTrack was a gamechanger for my Reason workflow at the time.

I notice how much a controller matters when using the Triton VST. I performed every week with that keyboard for 5 years and not being able to control it via knobs and buttons feels weird and I find myself much less inclined to modify patches half as much as I did with the keyboard (despite the VST having a much better interface).

Tactile responses make a massive difference for some people.

ShelLuser

22 Feb 2021

I don't see a bright future for a Reason controller, simply because they lack a supportive foundation: the software doesn't really lend itself for remote control.

For my projects I use both Push and Maschine and the main reason they work so well (apart from the awesome pads) is the integration with their software counterparts. After I fire up Live I only need my Push for everything else, including the loading of the Maschine plugin to get my other controller fully running. I don't see something like that easily done for Reason.

Another possible con would be Reason's interface, I can't help imagine that they'd need some kind of clear display to fully visualize the instruments and effects you're working with. And those are expensive. Maschine has two of such displays and I read that they make up for a majority of the production costs.

Which would result in a rather expensive controller for a somewhat limited market. And I'm not sure that's going to work.
--- :reason:

kuhliloach

22 Feb 2021

While this might sound OK on paper it wouldn't work with a company like Reason Studios. Every single piece of hardware they have ever touched, or even breathed on from far away, has died. From Balance to the Ignition Key itself, to the relationships with other hardware vendors like Line6. Nothing ever sticks with this company. The software cannot even perform a basic MIDI learn across its own software devices, so I cannot imagine something like this going smoothly.

electrofux

22 Feb 2021

They dont need to make an actual controller but give us more functions to be remote controlled on the DAW side and on the Rack Extension side (i was kindof disgusted by the super bad Remote implementation of Umpf, we also need remotable record buttons on players damnit).

On the DAW side we need remote browsing, recording modes, a clip launcher (which is what lets you arrange with a controller), i dont think we ever see clip editing with a controller. And lots of single bits and pieces like eg remote switching Rack/Mixer/Sequencer view, navigating in the Rack etc etc..

There are enough controllers on the market but Reasonstudios while having its own Remote API has not iterated on it in years. Would love to see it integrated into RRP since controlling parameters via the DAW is pretty badly implemented.

Yonatan

22 Feb 2021

Maybe later somewhere over the rainbow, but they need better focus on the software side for now. But RS could collaborate with other hardware companies in some ways.

electrofux

22 Feb 2021

Also why do people think has Live become so popular? Imho in the very first place it is because of the combination of their clip Launcher with a cheap ass Launchpad.

The hardware is really not the issue. If you want the functionality of the controller above, get a Twister, a Launchpad Mini and an Iphone and you have everything you need for that kind of controlling on less desktop estate. Of ocurse someone has to code the codec but from the hardware side this is equal to or better than any of the controllers on the market.
Last edited by electrofux on 22 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

pushedbutton

22 Feb 2021

Despite Balance not surviving past windows 10 I enjoyed having it at the time.
I'm not totally burnt on the idea of Propellerhead Reason Studio hardware but I'd be a little more confident in it if it was a collaborative effort with anyone except maudio, who are clown shoes.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

enossified

22 Feb 2021

Heater wrote:
19 Feb 2021
I don’t the they are interested in hardware at all.
Not any more!!!

Do they still support this puppy in 11?
avasopht wrote:
21 Feb 2021
DAW controllers suffer from VST3's failure to include a sophisticated generalized real-time plugin input mapping.
Exactly!!!!

For now, Nektar works great with both Live and Logic, so I'm all set.

jam-s

22 Feb 2021

electrofux wrote:
22 Feb 2021
They dont need to make an actual controller but give us more functions to be remote controlled on the DAW side and on the Rack Extension side (i was kindof disgusted by the super bad Remote implementation of Umpf, we also need remotable record buttons on players damnit).

On the DAW side we need remote browsing, recording modes, a clip launcher (which is what lets you arrange with a controller), i dont think we ever see clip editing with a controller. And lots of single bits and pieces like eg remote switching Rack/Mixer/Sequencer view, navigating in the Rack etc etc..

There are enough controllers on the market but Reasonstudios while having its own Remote API has not iterated on it in years. Would love to see it integrated into RRP since controlling parameters via the DAW is pretty badly implemented.
Would be great, if Reason would fully support NKS, right?

MixerJaexx

22 Feb 2021

Retouch Control’s PusheR for the Ableton Push (1 or 2) is a great solution. https://retouchcontrol.com/pusher/

Supports pads being illuminated via the Kong and Redrum and far better remote mapping support, such as Reason 10 and later devices, compared to the Panorama remote maps (stock and community). https://www.jaexx.com/blog/reason-using ... ontroller/
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

ECHLN

23 Feb 2021

No. A handful of people would buy it.

RoryM0

23 Feb 2021

ECHLN wrote:
23 Feb 2021
No. A handful of people would buy it.
Agree. Development is glacial enough as it is at RS. Would be a poor use of the team's limited resources. Better would be to get better support for existing hardware via Remote.

electrofux

24 Feb 2021

An upgrade to REmote should have the following imho:

-integration of the Browser into remote (navigation, loading patches items, showing names)
-a way to control the selected rack device the same way as selected track.
-Display the Rack on a Launchpad for navigation purposes (two collums= one rack)
-make blocks triggerable via remote or better make a cliplauncher
-get punchin/out into reason for easier recording of clips. The whole recording process should be streamlined.
-add overloading of remote items (a technical description on having remote items control different parameters of the device depending on other items eg Thors sequencers potis control different stuff depending on the edit knob) This would help making sequencers wich include patterns remotable. Currently, when you decide to include patterns in a sequencer your number of remote items needed explode.
-make the record buttons on players remotable
-Clips like in Ableton - the dream.

electrofux

24 Feb 2021

And controllerwise, i wish someone hacks the Circuit to make it programmable like a launchpad. It has such nice encoders with good resolution, resistance and at least a colour coded indicator. And lots of colourable buttons which is even more important than the actual number of encoders (though 16 would be nicer). And its size is not so humongous but also not tiny.

homemadenoise

24 Feb 2021

I am on the Nektar P6 bandwagon. It feels like a dedicated controller.

• Information