What will high-res Reason include?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Which of those features you think will be in high-res upgrade

High-res assets (bitmaps)
21%
Textured vector graphics
11%
GPU acceleration
19%
Independent GUI scaling (like Bitwig, Live or FL can be 150% when Windows is 200%)
13%
Ability to arrange work areas (sequencer, rack, mixer) whatever we want on 1 screen
6%
Ability to independently scale individual work areas (e.g. sequencer at 150%, rack at 100%)
5%
Up-sized tiny GUI elements (e.g. triangle "buttons" on tracks or devices)
8%
Multi-touch compatibility
3%
Added bar/strip with custom commands for touch operation w/o using menus (copy/paste, undo/redo, etc.)
2%
Ability to scale DPI-unaware plugins (NI, Waves, etc.)
6%
Integration of VST GUIs into the Rack
7%

Total votes: 248
Billy+

21 Feb 2021

I disagree, if you really need to see it all at once then sort yourself out triple display.

Getting things working right and up to standard would be time well spent.

antic604

21 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
21 Feb 2021
I disagree, if you really need to see it all at once then sort yourself out triple display.

How is that different from if I said "if you really need MIDI out from VSTs sort yourself another DAW"?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Billy+

21 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
21 Feb 2021

How is that different from if I said "if you really need MIDI out from VSTs sort yourself another DAW"?
Well currently I am waiting to see what the next version bring and if it no fully implemented VST / midi routing I fully intend to buy Logic.

But the actual difference is multiple displays is supported right now and in a way that actually works, where as we only got a half arse vst2.4 implementation and it was never actually brought up to standard!

pushedbutton

21 Feb 2021

I'm sure it'll be lovely but honestly I don't care.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

EnochLight

21 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
21 Feb 2021
EnochLight wrote:
21 Feb 2021
...I'm going to vote for "Independent GUI scaling" (though how I think it will be handled differs in what has been mentioned in the poll description).
How do you think it will be handled?
Well, how I *hope* it will work is in a manner that we can zoom in on devices in focus, and not necessarily the whole application. But I don't see an easy road to that implementation I guess.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

21 Feb 2021

Billy wrote:
21 Feb 2021
where as we only got a half arse vst2.4 implementation and it was never actually brought up to standard!
Well, VST 2.x is deprecated by Steinberg now so I seriously doubt you'll ever see it get brought up to standard in Reason - that ship has sailed. But what about VST 3 support being fully realized? I'd honestly prefer that, myself.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

21 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Billy wrote:
21 Feb 2021
where as we only got a half arse vst2.4 implementation and it was never actually brought up to standard!
Well, VST 2.x is deprecated by Steinberg now so I seriously doubt you'll ever see it get brought up to standard in Reason - that ship has sailed. But what about VST 3 support being fully realized? I'd honestly prefer that, myself.
I don't expect they will complete 2.4 implementation but that was the point "we got a half arsed implementation" they should concentrate on fully implementing whatever they decide to incorporate, rather than just half chucking stuff in and saying tadar done next.......

Actually concentrate there efforts to do it right

tronam

21 Feb 2021

R12 is likely to be one of those core overhauls, not just for the highDPI GUI and GPU acceleration, but for other things too like native VST3 and Apple silicon support. As mentioned before, now that Steinberg has officially discontinued VST2 it would make sense for this to be a higher priority item now. Since RRP itself is a VST3 plugin, they clearly understand the format. I'm a Reason addict for life, so I'm hoping for the best.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

EnochLight

21 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
21 Feb 2021
I don't expect they will complete 2.4 implementation but that was the point "we got a half arsed implementation" they should concentrate on fully implementing whatever they decide to incorporate, rather than just half chucking stuff in and saying tadar done next.......

Actually concentrate there efforts to do it right
tronam wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Since RRP itself is a VST3 plugin, they clearly understand the format.
Right, I'm less interested in focusing on unfinished/half-arsed features and more interested in them getting s hit done right now, today. The fact that they clearly understand VST3 (since RPP is a VST3) gives me hope that the VST3 implementation will be done right. At least more hope than I had when VST2 support appeared, anyway. That was so out of the blue (does anyone remember the 9.5 launch?), I just wasn't expecting it. Anyway, here's to hoping they don't f u ck up VST3 support if it does appear. The jury is still out on that one.

antic604

22 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Well, how I *hope* it will work is in a manner that we can zoom in on devices in focus, and not necessarily the whole application. But I don't see an easy road to that implementation I guess.
You mean like the 6th point from the poll?
"Ability to independently scale individual work areas (e.g. sequencer at 150%, rack at 100%)"
Music tech enthusiast.

antic604

22 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Well currently I am waiting to see what the next version bring and if it no fully implemented VST / midi routing I fully intend to buy Logic.

But the actual difference is multiple displays is supported right now and in a way that actually works, where as we only got a half arse vst2.4 implementation and it was never actually brought up to standard!
Sure, I understand your frustration, but "grass is always greener..." still holds true and e.g. Live or Studio One still don't pass CC from VST3 plugins (which is a standard spec), Studio One doesn't see internal audio chains in VST effects (only from multi-out instruments).

It's not like Reason is the only DAW that doesn't implement everything 100% :)
Music tech enthusiast.

EnochLight

22 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
22 Feb 2021
EnochLight wrote:
21 Feb 2021
You mean like the 6th point from the poll?
"Ability to independently scale individual work areas (e.g. sequencer at 150%, rack at 100%)"
Hahah! Maybe. But yeah, this should be interesting. :lol:

selig
RE Developer

22 Feb 2021

"I'm not asking for what you WANT, because you could tick all boxes :puf_wink: "

Good luck with that - these threads always turn into "what I want" because that is literally the only question that each of us can (and want to) accurately answer. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

22 Feb 2021

selig wrote:
22 Feb 2021
"I'm not asking for what you WANT, because you could tick all boxes :puf_wink: "

Good luck with that - these threads always turn into "what I want" because that is literally the only question that each of us can (and want to) accurately answer. ;)
And actually the results look quite plausible and realistic, with two options that were clearly signaled by Mattias in the lead, followed by those that would be really usefule and/or are standard elsewhere.

My faith in ReasonTalk people wasn't misplaced :)
Music tech enthusiast.

orthodox
RE Developer

22 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
22 Feb 2021
And actually the results look quite plausible and realistic, with two options that were clearly signaled by Mattias in the lead, followed by those that would be really usefule and/or are standard elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure nothing except those two options will be there. Or that's rather what I want to believe just not to get disappointed.

selig
RE Developer

22 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
22 Feb 2021
selig wrote:
22 Feb 2021

My point is ALL of us know what we want, but NONE of us know what will actually happen. As they say, "write about what you know"…how can we do otherwise? I get why it's fun to speculate about what we want to see, but not so much about what will actually happen - unless you are a professional industry prognosticator… ;)

And remember, you began the thread with what you WANT to happen, then ask the rest of us to resist the obvious temptation to do what you did - and do instead what you asked… ;)

Just saying that how these threads aways end up for the most part in my experience, just making commentary and grabbing the popcorn!

And to contribute in the spirit you requested - I expect the actual implementation to fall short of my expectations, as it almost always does. But it will be better than nothing…
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

22 Feb 2021

selig wrote:
22 Feb 2021
...I expect the actual implementation to fall short of my expectations, as it almost always does. But it will be better than nothing…
“the arc of improvements to Reason’s core experience is long, but it bends toward efficacy.”

at least I think that’s how that quote goes... :lol:
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

EnochLight

22 Feb 2021

selig wrote:
22 Feb 2021
And to contribute in the spirit you requested - I expect the actual implementation to fall short of my expectations, as it almost always does. But it will be better than nothing…
Same, though I am cautiously optimistic. :lol:

* throws salt over shoulder; sacrifices livestock *

Rackman

22 Feb 2021

They'll do as little as they can get away with. That is the Reason Studios way.

BonsaiMacKay

22 Feb 2021

Their new high-res graphics will be so sophisticated that when you look at Subtractor from a 45º angle, its name changes into Subscribe.👹

fieldframe
RE Developer

25 Feb 2021

tronam wrote:
21 Feb 2021
R12 is likely to be one of those core overhauls, not just for the highDPI GUI and GPU acceleration, but for other things too like native VST3 and Apple silicon support. As mentioned before, now that Steinberg has officially discontinued VST2 it would make sense for this to be a higher priority item now. Since RRP itself is a VST3 plugin, they clearly understand the format. I'm a Reason addict for life, so I'm hoping for the best.
It just occurred to me today that if Reason Studios were ever to update the vintage devices – Subtractor, Malstrom, etc. – this would be the one and only time for it since they're already redoing all the UIs for hiDPI.

Obviously they wouldn't change them drastically, and despite a lot of user wishlists, I highly doubt they'd add any features or change the devices' workflow at all. Feature-wise, newer devices like Europa already cover that ground. But it would be the perfect opportunity to take advantage of modern computers with some DSP updates to the classics: Some basic oversampling, updated filter models, and so on. With a compatibility switch on the back to return them to their Reason 2.5 versions, naturally.

RS marketing always has a themed tagline for every new version of Reason, and I could easily imagine all this falling neatly into something like "Reason: Re-mastered."

tronam

25 Feb 2021

I would definitely like to see an oversampling option for Subtractor in particular and maybe a unison mode. It doesn't need to be a major overhaul, but some modern nips and tucks would be welcome.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

25 Feb 2021

My hopes are that R12 is going to be a complete overhaul of the entire program, but as with everything are hopes our never fully realized. My expectations are that they will focus mostly on the rack and add a few more themes. I also expect that the subscription stuff is going to be heavily integrated into the layout as well, and that the R12 release thread is going to easily be one of the largest collections of b!tching every to be seen on this forum haha.

guitfnky

25 Feb 2021

I decided to buy Ableton for two new features, and now that I’m using it, I realize there are four that are must-haves for me now, which Reason doesn’t have, and a boatload more that aren’t dealbreakers, but are sorely missed.

I’m worried that Reason is just too far behind to win me back as a core DAW user for at least another couple of full versions. they’ll have to do a ton of heavy lifting on top of the high res update. I’m still rooting for them, but it’s getting harder to be optimistic.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Mike B

26 Feb 2021

guitfnky wrote:
25 Feb 2021
I realize there are four that are must-haves for me now, which Reason doesn’t have, and a boatload more that aren’t dealbreakers, but are sorely missed.
Which are ?

• Information