East West Gold in Reason 9.5?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
LordLarsa

17 May 2018

Hello everyone,

I got Reason 9.5 only a few months ago and I have no idea yet how work the VST pluggins in there. I need to run my East West Gold Edition in Reason 9.5 but I don't know how to do it. I read on internet that East West Gold was not a real VST, or it's in 32 bits so it can't be run in Reason 9.5?
I read somewhere I had to install Kontakt 5 (what I did) then I could open it there and run EWQL Gold. But no clue really how to do it. I have pain to find proper informations on internet. EWQL Gold is very old but I know people still use it.

Would someone know how to do it?

Thanks you very much,
Lise

Oquasec

17 May 2018

it's in the options menu.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

spencer335

17 May 2018

I have the more recent version of EastWest Hollywood Gold, using the bundled PLAY VST (rather than the Kontakt version). It is 64 bit, no problem there, and the upgrade to 64 bit if you have a 32bit version of PLAY should be free. If you have the older Kontakt version, the Kontakt VST is already 64 bit (or at least the most recent versions are) and I expect you would be fine.

PLAY works fine in Reason, but if you wanted to use multiple instruments/articulations (and you should!) you would need multiple instances of PLAY (each on MIDI channel 1) rather than multiple tracks using the same instance on different MIDI channels (which is possible on just about any other DAW that I am aware of). This is probably not an issue until you get to high track counts and potential CPU limits.

Reason is probably not the ideal choice of large-scale orchestral work at this point, but you can work with it.

LordLarsa

18 May 2018

Thanks for your answer. I just installed Play and got the VST Play x 64.dll . Anyway, When I go to "Edit " > "Preferences" > "Advanced" and add the folder "VSTplugins" there, it doesn't show up in the instruments or anything. Did I miss something?

Seems to be a bit tricky to add VST in Reason, or maybe it's not that way to do it. Thanks for your help

TheGodOfRainbows

11 Jun 2018

I got the EastWest Hollywood Orchestra Platinum this christmas. So far, I've hardly used it because i cant render anything to WAV without random clicks and pops. I can actually play the song in Reason WITHOUT CLICKS and pops. So it's backwards. Because I am pretty apathetic, I haven't really tried to get it resolved because I assumed it's all part of being a Reason user and outside plugins (VST, PLAY) are going to be troublesome.

Anyway, I'm kind of finally disgusted about not being able to use the $500 I spent and going to talk to Props and EastWest about it. I have a feeling one of them will tell me to talk to the other.

Are you able to render anything?! For me it seams to get worse the more instruments I have loaded, as well as total voices/polyphony. For example, if all that is being used is a violin patch, its mostly click free. The more instruments loaded and playing, the more clicks and pops I get.

kitekrazy

14 Jun 2018

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
11 Jun 2018
I got the EastWest Hollywood Orchestra Platinum this christmas. So far, I've hardly used it because i cant render anything to WAV without random clicks and pops. I can actually play the song in Reason WITHOUT CLICKS and pops. So it's backwards. Because I am pretty apathetic, I haven't really tried to get it resolved because I assumed it's all part of being a Reason user and outside plugins (VST, PLAY) are going to be troublesome.

Anyway, I'm kind of finally disgusted about not being able to use the $500 I spent and going to talk to Props and EastWest about it. I have a feeling one of them will tell me to talk to the other.

Are you able to render anything?! For me it seams to get worse the more instruments I have loaded, as well as total voices/polyphony. For example, if all that is being used is a violin patch, its mostly click free. The more instruments loaded and playing, the more clicks and pops I get.
Few people realize that Platinum and even Gold uses a lot of system resources. With Reason stiil new at VST support I wouldn't use it. I'd look at something like Reaper for intense orchestra work and that's if you want to spend as little as possible on a DAW. The others are Cubase and Logic.

TheGodOfRainbows

14 Jun 2018

kitekrazy wrote:
14 Jun 2018
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
11 Jun 2018

Few people realize that Platinum and even Gold uses a lot of system resources. With Reason stiil new at VST support I wouldn't use it. I'd look at something like Reaper for intense orchestra work and that's if you want to spend as little as possible on a DAW. The others are Cubase and Logic.
I wasn't unprepared for the system resources. The entire library is on an SDD, and I've got i7 cpu and 32GB ram. But I'm not shocked or even upset at Props or EastWest. It's generation one VST support in Reason, so I can have patience. But it does suck, don't get me wrong. I just hope it doesn't turn into a 2 year wait until things run smoothly.

kitekrazy

15 Jun 2018

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
14 Jun 2018
kitekrazy wrote:
14 Jun 2018

I wasn't unprepared for the system resources. The entire library is on an SDD, and I've got i7 cpu and 32GB ram. But I'm not shocked or even upset at Props or EastWest. It's generation one VST support in Reason, so I can have patience. But it does suck, don't get me wrong. I just hope it doesn't turn into a 2 year wait until things run smoothly.
That's still on the lite side for Platinum. Some People have issues with Play.

Oper-8

21 Feb 2021

Hey there !
I know it's and old topic, but since I recently decided to purchase EastWest's Orchestral and Choirs libraries, I thought I'd chime in since I met a few quirks with our dear Reason...
So, all in all, both libraries (through the Play VST) do actually work fine, everything runs pretty fast. I have a laptop with Ryzen 7 CPU and 16 GB RAM on board, with a regular hard drive, but it doesn't feel too sluggish or too long to load. Sure, you get some heavy patches, therefore it takes a couple of seconds to load, but even though I don't have everything on a SSD, it loads fine.
Now, I did meet a couple of clicks and even freezes with the Choirs library, but it was more likely because I was messing around maybe too fast with the WordBuilder.
Anyway, one gripe I have is not to be able to load one single instance of the Play VST and wire separate MIDI outputs to new Mix channels in Reason. I think I can live with (or rather without) it. There must be a workaround but I didn't take the time to investigate yet.

The second the biggest issue, and it's a MAJOR one, is that it's impossible to render audio properly - either from the orchestral elements or the choirs, and either when bouncing in place or exporting a loop or a song to WAV or MP3. I wanted to bounce in place a few clips to save some CPU power, but it outputs only bits and pieces of what it should render.
I'm not quite sure why it happens, and I don't know if it's the Play engine's fault or not. But it's a huge issue. I do think it's likely coming from Reason though, because I use another VST in another song, and exporting (one or more tracks) gives the same issue. Only bits of sound, though not just the beginning of notes in this case - more like a DJ doing a transformer effect.

I tagged Reason Studios and East West on Twitter, so I'm waiting for their reply...
Besides that, these are really awesome libraries. The instant gratification as soon as you play any instrument or voice, the awesome nuances and articulations (top notch patch programming !), the perfect sound quality... And the WordBuilder is an incredibly powerful tool.
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

Steedus
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2021

^ I heard the issue is the Play Engine is designed for realtime bounce only, so bouncing offline (like Reason does) can cause issues. I don't think it's as simple as that in reality but that's what I've read online.

adfielding

22 Feb 2021

Steedus wrote:
21 Feb 2021
^ I heard the issue is the Play Engine is designed for realtime bounce only, so bouncing offline (like Reason does) can cause issues. I don't think it's as simple as that in reality but that's what I've read online.
That is exactly the issue. The best way around this is to click the "rec source" button on your string mix channel(s) in the rack, create an audio track for each of your string tracks, and set the audio input for said audio tracks to match the string mix channels (make sure you also set it to a stereo input first!). Hit record and your string channels should render to audio in realtime, meaning you can then bounce the entire song as you see fit.

As an aside - you can also set the master section as an audio track rec source as well, so if you want to render a realtime bounce you can create a new audio track, hit the "rec source" button the master section at the top of the rack, set the input on your audio track as "master section", hit record and off you go. Again, not a replacement for an actual realtime bounce option, but it gets the job done.

Why the Play engine works like this is beyond me, but it's one of several reasons why I moved on from EWQLSO a few years back - which I understand is probably not of much use to anyone here, but hopefully you can at least use it via this method. For what it's worth: EWQLSO is the only VST I've ever had this issue with (outside of stuff like the Virus Ti plugin and Elektron's Overbridge stuff, but that's just due to the nature of them being outboard devices), and it's kind of weird that it's still a problem in 2021.

edit: I just realised this is probably of little use to OP who can't get the damn thing to run! Oops. I honestly have no idea why it wouldn't be showing up in Reason, if you're pointing it to the appropriate .dll it should just appear. Just to clarify - did you add the folder to the "VST Plugin Folders" section under the advanced tab in the options? Ignore what people are telling you about needing Kontakt, the newer Play plugin (which it seems you're using) is standalone and has 64-bit support - it should just work.

Oper-8

22 Feb 2021

Wow, thanks for the detailed answers ! Indeed, EastWest already replied (while Reason Studios still haven't... I sincerely think they don't care about their own software actually, apart from designing realistic graphics - which I personally don't care about) but they report the fault to Reason, obviously : "Reason tries to export audio as fast as possible, which can cause those dropouts in the sound performance. You can try raising the buffer size in Reason, you could do a realtime export of the audio, or (especially if you're just trying to bounce in place stems) you can open that one instance of Play, click the main menu (three horizontal grey lines in the upper left corner) and then click to uncheck the 'Stream from disk' which should load that instrument up entirely into RAM - then you can do the quick export/bounce of that track in place and it should be lossless. (then you can go back and click stream from disk again it to switch back to streaming rather than RAM loaded samples on that."
It's quite tedious to me anyway.
So if I understand correctly, Reason is definitely causing trouble. For what it's worth, I met the same audio dropouts issue with a SWAM VST. And any other VSTs I use, even those that either deal with huge data (Acoustic Samples guitars) or generate audio from granular data (Emvoice), absolutely never caused any issue. Therefore I believe Reason Studios have to do something here with their rendering engine...
I don't quite understand those workarounds with the Audio tracks and Rec sources, but I should take the time to try this out.
Now, I really hope Reason Studios and EastWest will talk together and solve this, because it's quite a major issue to me, and I hate having to deal with either tedious or cumbersome workarounds just to output audio... from a DAW. And honestly, if I have to do this everytime, it makes EWQL products useless. I guess other DAWs might run EWQL products flawlessly but I really don't want to switch to another DAW.
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

Oper-8

24 Feb 2021

I finally managed to take some time to do that damn workaround from 1990...
- disable Stream from disk,
- enable Rec Source,
- create a new Audio Track,
- arm said Audio Track,
- disable Pre Count (I enabled it in the song I use as a default template),
- start the sequencer,
- wait until the 1:1 play finishes,
- stop the sequencer,
- enable Stream from disk,
- enable Pre Count.

10 steps instead of one click.
Each time I need to either bounce in place a clip, or export a loop/song.
In 2021, using (so-called) "pro" and award-winning software and sounds library ? SERIOUSLY ?

Of course, the issue will likely be fixed when Opus, the successor of Play, will be released. As a paid for "upgrade", of course.
I really hate those damn greedy companies that quietly let their users discover bugs, and then charge them for upgrades.

avasopht
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Of course, the issue will likely be fixed when Opus, the successor of Play, will be released. As a paid for "upgrade", of course.
I really hate those damn greedy companies that quietly let their users discover bugs, and then charge them for upgrades.
The render bug along with not making it easy to remove extra articulations (and providing you with steps that just don't work) is the reason I'm not continuing my subscription for CCX. I uninstalled it with 2-3 months left.

I get the impression Play was developed by another company. It's a shame as it's an otherwise strong library.

• Information