Multiple Midi Keyboards with Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BlueEddie

19 Feb 2021

Hi!

I've found a lot of info around this topic using various work arounds but was hoping there was a simpler solution. My hardware synth collection keeps growing and I've had to start putting them around me, rather than on my main studio desk where my main midi keyboard is located. I wanted to connect a 2nd midi keyboard so I can put that closer to the hardware synth out of reach of my main keyboard. So the question is, can I connect more than 1 midi keyboard to Reason to control specific devices e.g. midi keyboard 1 controls devices 1 - 4 and midi keyboard 2 controls devices 5-6? I'm thinking the answer is yes and then change the midi channel on the Midi rack device in Reason, but I also ideally want to do all this with USB - and confirm it's possible before buying anything!

Many thanks!

Noise
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2021

I have a nanoPad2 + NanoKey2 and P1 Panorama, they are all working together, but you have to "lock" them to a specific device. For instance, if I'm using the NanoPad2 for hitting some kong drums, I have to "lock" this device to the instrument, and the NanoKey can play freely on any device. Now, for 3 midi keyboards, 2 of them have to be locked to a instrument. That's my experience.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

BlueEddie

19 Feb 2021

Thanks - how do you set it up? Just plug in the midi devices, get them recognised by Reason?

Noise
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2021

The P1 Panorama required some setup from Netkar (just one download), also, for this devices I own, didn't install anything (windows 10): M-audio Oxygen49, Oxygen25, Korg Nano Pad2, Korg Key2, Reason just made the setup for me (using the controller surfaces preferences).

For other controllers ex: Novation, you should search for the mappings and lua codecs, just to experience this devices to their full potential.
Any controller that *blinks* (that returns feedback) you should search for the appropriate codec:
( https://www.irregular-cluster.com/?c=codec )

Just attached some images, didn't understood if you have reason :-) , hope it helps.
Attachments
Captura de ecrã 2021-02-19 111019.jpg
Captura de ecrã 2021-02-19 111019.jpg (117.82 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Captura de ecrã 2021-02-19 111038.jpg
Captura de ecrã 2021-02-19 111038.jpg (83.25 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

BlueEddie

19 Feb 2021

Many thanks for the reply. I found an old midi keyboard to test this with but something's going wrong when I try install the drivers so I just went simple and plugged a midi cable from the keyboard into the synth - and that works :-) Maybe I'll try make it a bit fancier at some point but this does the trick for now :-)

Many thanks!

• Information