Pattern Mutator 1.0.1 update

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

17 Feb 2021

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n-mutator/

New in 1.0.1
  • Fixed a bug where Pattern Mutator could crash when dragging transpose with MIDI Transpose turned off.
  • The Step display now shows the actively playing step in all playback modes.

Billy+

17 Feb 2021

Not decided to make it 128 steps yet then, that's unfortunate I might have tried it..

Maybe 1.0.2

challism

18 Feb 2021

Yeah... I saw this update in Companion and really got excited.... hoping they changed the steps to 128. But nope... still stuck at 99 max. I'm not sure why they decided to give it 99 max steps; it just doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe it was meant for waltz music?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Billy+

18 Feb 2021

challism wrote:
18 Feb 2021
Yeah... I saw this update in Companion and really got excited.... hoping they changed the steps to 128. But nope... still stuck at 99 max. I'm not sure why they decided to give it 99 max steps; it just doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe it was meant for waltz music?
I think it was to make it look pretty!

PhillipOrdonez

18 Feb 2021

Make it 128 Reason Studios!

joeyluck

18 Feb 2021

I'm not arguing against 128 steps, but just curious...is using a couple patterns of 64 steps (or a few more patterns of less) not a solution?

For me personally, I prefer to hone in on smaller patterns of steps, because if I hit mutate on 128 steps, it's mutating all of that. Instead I can create a sequence by mutating smaller sections of patterns and perfect a sequence without affecting the beginning, middle, and end sections.

Billy+

18 Feb 2021

Well if it is mutating based on the content/notes within an 8 bar phrase of 16th steps it won't fit in 99 steps.

I generally try to make a pattern 8 bars for melodies / top lines so I would definitely want any mutations to have taken the whole phrase into consideration.

I would also prefer if you had separate controls of pitches and octaves.

It does look interesting but for what I've seen it's not that good, now I haven't used it personally but that's because I really don't think it suits my composition methods.

128 steps would at least give me some incentive to trial it, and better control over pitches & octaves would probably get me to buy it "in a sale" as I really think it's priced high for what it does, but I personally think a lot of the RS players are a bit high in price.

challism

18 Feb 2021

I've usually got it dialed in to 64 (maybe 32). I guess I could do 96, too (but honestly haven't tried that yet). Would I use 128? Maybe. Or I would find that what you are saying is true, Joey, and it could be too much. It would be nice to at least have that option, though. I don't understand why it has a limit of 99; 128 is a much more logical cutoff point. There is just something inherently wrong with it stopping at 99. I don't understand the limitation at 99.

The results I get from PatMut are usually pretty cool, but rarely what I would use in the final version; the notes always need some tweaking here and there. And I think that's the intention; and I like making the adjustments. It seems like tweaking 128 steps instead of 64 or 32 could help the workflow (I would at least like the option).

Billy+

18 Feb 2021

Now I get where you going but not all the steps would actually contain notes, in fact I would say possibly half would be empty and using 16th just makes sense from a timing perspective not necessarily for note duration. In fact I would argue that most notes would be at least 8th but the issue is the division over the phrase.

challism

25 May 2021

@Chi-Individual

Looks like you deleted your post before I could reply.
When you route CV directly into a device, you don't see the affects of the CV input. But if you run it thru a Combinator, you do. So I ran this thru a Combi just to show that it's working. It's working with direct routing, too, you just can't see it moving the map.

Chi-Individual

25 May 2021

challism wrote:
25 May 2021
@Chi-Individual

Looks like you deleted your post before I could reply.
When you route CV directly into a device, you don't see the affects of the CV input. But if you run it thru a Combinator, you do. So I ran this thru a Combi just to show that it's working. It's working with direct routing, too, you just can't see it moving the map.

Sorry for deleting my response so quickly. I realized I had to have an actual pattern in the player to get the random signal. I thought they were true random cv generators but they aren't. I've just been looking for something a bit more random than Pulsar. I wanted to check before I get RND from Lectric Panda. RS needs a really good random generator unless there is one I've overlooked. Any suggestions from any RS REs or Players?

challism

25 May 2021

Chi-Individual wrote:
25 May 2021

Sorry for deleting my response so quickly. I realized I had to have an actual pattern in the player to get the random signal. I thought they were true random cv generators but they aren't. I've just been looking for something a bit more random than Pulsar. I wanted to check before I get RND from Lectric Panda. RS needs a really good random generator unless there is one I've overlooked. Any suggestions from any RS REs or Players?
Have you tried the random LFO on Thor? Just route it in the mod matrix.
I think you still have to have notes passing thru Thor for it to generate the random LFO waves, though.

Chi-Individual

25 May 2021

challism wrote:
25 May 2021
Have you tried the random LFO on Thor? Just route it in the mod matrix.
I think you still have to have notes passing thru Thor for it to generate the random LFO waves, though.
Nope. Haven't tried that yet but I'm going to now. I hope it's better than Pulsar. Not saying Pulsar is bad but just not random as I would like. Thanks again.

Chi-Individual

25 May 2021

Thanks for mentioning Thor. I tried with Europa's LFOs and kinda got the results that I was looking for. Thor took too much work lol. Still would like a true random CV generator native to Reason but that's honestly at the back of my wish list atm.

Gardinski

25 May 2021

challism wrote:
18 Feb 2021
I'm not sure why they decided to give it 99 max steps; it just doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe it was meant for waltz music?
It finally dawned on me why 99 steps makes PERFECT sense... One word: 'triplets'.

Let's assume you're working in four bar patterns in 16ths.... 64 steps.
Now let's say you want a phrase in one of the slots which shifts to 16T, lasting the same amount of time when you switch back and forth. Suddenly, tada - you need 96 steps. 96 steps in 16-triplet time equals 64 steps in straight 16ths.

Once again, there is method in the Props/RS's madness. :P

challism

25 May 2021

Gardinski wrote:
25 May 2021
challism wrote:
18 Feb 2021
I'm not sure why they decided to give it 99 max steps; it just doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe it was meant for waltz music?
It finally dawned on me why 99 steps makes PERFECT sense... One word: 'triplets'.

Let's assume you're working in four bar patterns in 16ths.... 64 steps.
Now let's say you want a phrase in one of the slots which shifts to 16T, lasting the same amount of time when you switch back and forth. Suddenly, tada - you need 96 steps. 96 steps in 16-triplet time equals 64 steps in straight 16ths.

Once again, there is method in the Props/RS's madness. :P
Hmmm, very interesting. You are probably right (let's just give them the benefit of the doubt here). I'm going to have to try it with triplets. I don't think I've ever really played around with PatMut triplets, yet. Thanks for the solid idea!

Though, I would still like to be able to push this thing to 128.
But there is a **sort of** workaround, if you just enable "Direct Record" and then record the mutations in real time. When it hits the end of the loop, hit "mutate" again. Then go back and edit the MIDI to taste.

• Information