The Best Reason Synth?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Aosta

18 Feb 2021

With the up and coming release of a new RS (Props) synth I was just wondering what others thought their best synth is to date? Lots to choose from and each with a different taste.
Personally I think Thor was and still is the greatest simply for it's flexibility, design and ease of use.
So which of the synths is your all time fave?
Tend the flame

Billy+

18 Feb 2021

Well if I was to pick the one that turns up the most in my project files it would be Subtractor, primarily for bass sounds but none the less it's generally the first thing I grab.

However just lately I've been getting monotone out more and more!
Last edited by Billy+ on 18 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

MannequinRaces

18 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
18 Feb 2021
Well if I was to pick the one that turns up the most in my project files it would be subtraktor, primarily for bass sounds but none the less it's generally the first thing I grab.

However just lately I've been getting monotone out more and more!
Never heard of that one.. sounds like a NI synth, lol. ;) My fav over the years has always been Malström.

Billy+

18 Feb 2021

lol really should be able to spell it by now......

SUBTRACTOR

The hex colour is

Code: Select all

[color=#FAFAFA]SUB[/color][color=#467D82]TRACTOR[/color]
just in case you want it.
IMG_2515.JPG
IMG_2515.JPG (271.68 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
Last edited by Billy+ on 18 Feb 2021, edited 3 times in total.

Mataya

18 Feb 2021

Malstrom, Viking2, Noise Engineering, Expanse...can't really pick one, because no one can do all you might need or want.

M

arnigretar

18 Feb 2021

I must say Thor. Everything about it is brilliant. Sound and design. I must also note that I love also Subtractor and Malström. :reason:
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

zoidkirb

18 Feb 2021

Complex-1. They really got the balance right between complexity and ease of use/intuitive fun.
Plus afaik it's the only Reason Studios synth with over sampling and is capable of smoother and crisper sound than the likes of Thor and Europa.

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2021

Aosta wrote:
18 Feb 2021
With the up and coming release of a new RS (Props) synth I was just wondering what others thought their best synth is to date? Lots to choose from and each with a different taste.
Personally I think Thor was and still is the greatest simply for it's flexibility, design and ease of use.
Reason studios synths:

Complex-1
Thor
Europa
Grain (hybrid)

in order

MuttReason

18 Feb 2021

Aosta wrote:
18 Feb 2021
Subtractor. Did it for me the first time I saw Reason 1.0 and still my preferred synth if I just want to build a sound quickly from scratch.

Best layout of any plugin synth bar none IMO. Love it. The only thing I own that gets close is u-he Repro. Great plugin and almost as intuitive as Subtractor.

Second choice behind Subtractor is Thor. Big fan. Again, I think because I just find in intuitive and immediate.

Others OK but just not my go to.

Which means I was probably happy by about Reason 6.5 or so, whenever Thor came out. Everything since has just been a bonus!

nickb523
RE Developer

18 Feb 2021

Standing Alone.zip
(51.12 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

challism

18 Feb 2021

Mataya wrote:
18 Feb 2021
Malstrom, Viking2, Noise Engineering, Expanse...can't really pick one, because no one can do all you might need or want.

M
All great synths... but the only one that is an RS brand synth is Malstrom. The others are made by 3rd party developers. The OP is asking for best Reason Studios made synth.

So.... Malstrom works for your vote!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

m.arthur

18 Feb 2021

Subtractor!

For real. It's so easy to get great sounds out of it.
I love the prioritization of Velocity as a quick, built-in Modulation source to so many destinations. It makes creating dynamic, responsive patches dead simple, and encourages less common modulations -- velocity to scale the Frequency Modulation from Osc2 to Osc1 ? Hell yes.

The simple FM (osc cross-mod) implementation and broad waveform selection amount to a huge range of possible timbres.

SUBTRACTOR. Long live!

Faastwalker

18 Feb 2021

Complex-1 for me. Very cool what they did with that, it sounds amazing and has lots of cool features.

orthodox
RE Developer

18 Feb 2021

Parsec
Grain
Europa

EnochLight

18 Feb 2021

Aosta wrote:
18 Feb 2021
For me, it's currently a trifecta of:

Grain
Complex-1
Europa

Those are literally 3 instruments that I have in practically every project. Looking forward to seeing if Algoritm makes it 4.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Goriila Texas

18 Feb 2021

Europa is my fav because it has downsampling in the Modifier section which takes the digital clean sound out and makes it gritty. Free game! I don't know of any other synth in Reason with this feature or something like it.

BRIGGS

19 Feb 2021

+1 Subtractor

0% cpu load means more cpu for necessary FX.
r11s

ab459

19 Feb 2021

PX7 ofcourse (joke)

Would not pick one. All classics is amazing - subtractor, malstrom, europa, parsec, grain, thor.
I would add Complex1, but it has bug in filters which still not fixed.
From non-built-in things, obvious VK2.

antic604

19 Feb 2021

This thread should be re-done as a poll. A lost opportunity.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

zoidkirb

19 Feb 2021

ab459 wrote:
19 Feb 2021
PX7 ofcourse (joke)

Would not pick one. All classics is amazing - subtractor, malstrom, europa, parsec, grain, thor.
Curious what is the complex-1 filter bug? I googled and found an old RT thread with a broken image link....seems to be something to do with self oscillation?

Mataya

19 Feb 2021

challism wrote:
18 Feb 2021
Mataya wrote:
18 Feb 2021

M
All great synths... but the only one that is an RS brand synth is Malstrom. The others are made by 3rd party developers. The OP is asking for best Reason Studios made synth.

So.... Malstrom works for your vote!
Right. Attention was low. Malstrom for sure then. Becasue the sounds I get from it are just so unusual often...and also, it doesn't have onboard fx, which I like, a and also cpu usage is low. But even Malstrom was made by Magnus from Soniccharge, so what's really a true Prop synth? :)

M

ab459

19 Feb 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
19 Feb 2021
ab459 wrote:
19 Feb 2021
PX7 ofcourse (joke)

Curious what is the complex-1 filter bug? I googled and found an old RT thread with a broken image link....seems to be something to do with self oscillation?
Yes, with self oscillation. This problem been up at forum couple times, incl main C1 topic, but no changes.

lowtom

19 Feb 2021

My top 3 are:

1. Thor - number one for me, very flexible, I use it all the time.
2. Subtractor - Reason classic, still amazes me.
3. Europa - one of the best and most approachable wavetable synths I have used.
:reason: :refill: :re:

zoidkirb

19 Feb 2021

ab459 wrote:
19 Feb 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
19 Feb 2021

Yes, with self oscillation. This problem been up at forum couple times, incl main C1 topic, but no changes.
Cool. I never knew about this feature. I gave it a quick go with the HP filter self oscillating and got some fun noises happening but it's probably something I could live without. Annoying that LP self oscillation is claimed as a feature but is missing.

ab459

19 Feb 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
19 Feb 2021
Annoying that LP self oscillation is claimed as a feature but is missing.
Yes, self oscillation is broken exactly for LP, while for HP it works properly.
Or rather - there is specific behavior, in which can also catch self.osc. from LP too - relate with consequence of routing (was described by Robotguard as far i remember) - but it abnormal ofcourse. Moreover, such LP sounding patch, being saved after such routing order "trick", will produce no sound after reload - what concrete confirmation of this bug too.

• Information