Reason 11 Mac Headphones issue

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Bman70

18 Feb 2021

When I'm composing in Reason, I like to listen on my computer speakers alternating with headphones. Since I don't have a treated studio room yet, this at least gives me some different media to check the mix with. (I also bounce it out and listen on various laptops, iPhone, etc.)

This has worked great composing on iMac: When I plug in the headphones, I hear Reason automatically in the phones. But with my new MacBook Pro, when I plug in the headphones, the sound still comes out of the speakers.

In Settings > Sound, I can see the MacBook switch from speaker output to headphone output when I plug the headphones in. So the computer is switching fine. Somehow Reason doesn't switch along with it like it does on the iMac. I have to go into Reason Preferences, then change the Audio from Microphone+Speakers to Headphones.

Has anyone had this issue on Mac?

Edit: MacBook Pro 2019 16" with Catalina. Reason 11 Intro.

Bman70

18 Feb 2021

In the iMac, the two Reason options are:
-Built-in Microphone + Built-in Output (checked)
-Built-in Output

MacBook Pro options are:
-MacBook Pro Microphone + MacBook Pro Speakers (checked)
-MacBook Pro Speakers

It seems much the same setup on both computers, just slightly different wording.

p.s. if I'm playing Youtube, the sound automatically changes to the headphones on the MacBook, like I want it to in Reason.

eusti

18 Feb 2021

I agree it's a pain in the neck with new Mac OSes... I have similar issues with Izotope RX7... And seen issues with Audition as well...

D.

Bman70

18 Feb 2021

Yes unfortunately Catalina often feels like an unfinished beta version. But that's because Apple decided to leave most developers behind and not all are catching up.

bangaio

19 Feb 2021

It’s totally fine for me on my MacBook Pro in Catalina. I’d suggest it may be more like a hardware issue.

Bman70

19 Feb 2021

Well in case anyone else has this issue, here's the solution. It wasn't specific to Reason, but something about Apples output device implementation:
https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=231868

• Information