Ableton 11 Release Announced

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
guitfnky

17 Feb 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Feb 2021
guitfnky wrote:
17 Feb 2021
the more I’m using it, the more I wonder if I’ll even be interested in what Reason 12 is like. if I get familiar enough with Ableton (which I’m already working at), I have a feeling the functionality there is so far ahead of what I can do in Reason that even if 12 is a massive upgrade, it will still likely be far behind.
I guess we'll have to wait and see, slow robot...ok. 😂

Seriously though, perhaps for users of other daws, the new features the rack could bring could be more enticing than those of the standalone app. Now they have to work on both to be able to grab our moneys with future updates.

As always, in my case, it has been dependant on what features they provide and whether they are worth my money and whether I have the funds available. And features on both standalone and RRP will be deciding factors for me as I use both standalone and RRP.

Patience is key.
😆

very good points. it’s looking like RRP updates may start factoring into upgrade decisions for me. as for patience, well, I’m getting awfully impatient with having been so patient these last few years. 😅
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

bangaio

17 Feb 2021

I was a very early Live adopter and started using is from 1.5 onwards until around v8 or 9 when I gave it a rest. Since then I have swung in and out of Reason which always feels like a fun old friend but then I start to get frustrated. I have also used Logic for ages.

Recently I tried Bitwig and was blown away - so modern and innovative but my god it crashed around 10 times in a week and some things just were slow compared to other tools so.... I unleashed my live lite license and grabbed a full suite upgrade from Thoman and have been flying along. For some reason the key commands are still with me and live is just so much faster to work with.

I was sold on the session view back in 2001 when it was audio only and I use session view to scaffold tracks adding things I like to scenes then dump it all into arrange and I just find it so much quicker. I can't seem to get my head back into the automation but I now have 3 WIP projects on the go that I will finish I am sure in a few weeks and can't wait to start using 11.

I never thought I would say it but I have been tried using the RRP in Live but I just can't seem to warm to it - it's like I have taken it out of its natural habitat and it isn't comfortable - totally psychological I know.

guitfnky

17 Feb 2021

bangaio wrote:
17 Feb 2021
I never thought I would say it but I have been tried using the RRP in Live but I just can't seem to warm to it - it's like I have taken it out of its natural habitat and it isn't comfortable - totally psychological I know.
I know this feeling. it's really weird to me to have this robust tool I've been using for 10+ years stripped of all but its very core. like, I have separate tracks with RRP on them, in the same project, but they're still all alone, and don't talk to one another. stupid analogy, I know, but still... :lol:

PhillipOrdonez

17 Feb 2021

bangaio wrote:
17 Feb 2021
I was a very early Live adopter and started using is from 1.5 onwards until around v8 or 9 when I gave it a rest. Since then I have swung in and out of Reason which always feels like a fun old friend but then I start to get frustrated. I have also used Logic for ages.

Recently I tried Bitwig and was blown away - so modern and innovative but my god it crashed around 10 times in a week and some things just were slow compared to other tools so.... I unleashed my live lite license and grabbed a full suite upgrade from Thoman and have been flying along. For some reason the key commands are still with me and live is just so much faster to work with.

I was sold on the session view back in 2001 when it was audio only and I use session view to scaffold tracks adding things I like to scenes then dump it all into arrange and I just find it so much quicker. I can't seem to get my head back into the automation but I now have 3 WIP projects on the go that I will finish I am sure in a few weeks and can't wait to start using 11.

The A key switches the automation lanes into view. In case you weren't aware. Clicking a parameter will bring is automation lane into view in the sequencer.

Man I've never liked the session view... I do everything on arrangement view.

I recommend the live enhancement suite to everyone using live. It is free and the custom menus are huge time savers.

bangaio

18 Feb 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Feb 2021
bangaio wrote:
17 Feb 2021

The A key switches the automation lanes into view. In case you weren't aware. Clicking a parameter will bring is automation lane into view in the sequencer.

I recommend the live enhancement suite to everyone using live. It is free and the custom menus are huge time savers.

Thanks - I first started using live 20 years ago (that sounds ridiculous typing it!) so I know the shortcut and how it works I just had to remember how to automate different parameters that I hadn't clicked on.

I am amazed when you go on YouTube how few people use session view, I just don't get it. It is an experimentation minefield that lets me build up and refine ideas before I get sequencing. I guess I am just used to it from all that time ago!

guitfnky

18 Feb 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Feb 2021
bangaio wrote:
17 Feb 2021

thanks for the shortcut and enhancement tip. 👍🏼 funny, it includes a shortcut to drop markers—one of the first things I did was to map that to the keyboard.

guitfnky

18 Feb 2021

well, it didn’t take long for me to end up buying it. kind of glad I won’t be able to use the new version until next week—giving me some good time to get used to the stuff that’s already there. finding it really easy to do some fun routing stuff that would actually be more difficult in Reason (just pointing track/MIDI outputs to other channels without needing to wire stuff up with splitters/mergers).

I’m trying to get used to the session view even though the whole clip launching thing hasn’t really appealed to me before. I think it’s going to play a pretty big role for me once I get 11 and can use follow actions on full scenes—amazes me that’s just being added now, but I guess I picked a good time to get onboard. 😬

James Bermingham

22 Feb 2021

I always equate session view in Ableton Live, to Blocks view in Reason. Why Blocks is Disabled by default baffles me. There are lots of new Reason students that haven’t a clue about Blocks. The developers seemed to have abandoned it and hidden it within Reason

kuhliloach

22 Feb 2021

the deed is done folks- I bought Ableton Suite. Fair is fair- they did their homework and became the world's premier DAW. Too many people I work with use it so I couldn't avoid it any longer. As a Logic and Ableton guy I will still use Reason. As a plug-in.

James Bermingham

22 Feb 2021

kuhliloach wrote:
22 Feb 2021
the deed is done folks- I bought Ableton Suite. Fair is fair- they did their homework and became the world's premier DAW. Too many people I work with use it so I couldn't avoid it any longer. As a Logic and Ableton guy I will still use Reason. As a plug-in.
:clap: Get yourself a Push 2 and fulfil your destiny!! :twisted:

guitfnky

22 Feb 2021

tomorrow’s the big day. 😄

w1pl0c

22 Feb 2021

Tonights the big night, more like it?

Billy+

22 Feb 2021

Well either way the last few weeks have been a disappointment :lol:

Popey
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2021

guitfnky wrote:
17 Feb 2021
bangaio wrote:
17 Feb 2021
I know this feeling. it's really weird to me to have this robust tool I've been using for 10+ years stripped of all but its very core. like, I have separate tracks with RRP on them, in the same project, but they're still all alone, and don't talk to one another. stupid analogy, I know, but still... :lol:
As someone who recently moved to live with rrp I totally get what your saying as I find myself just using rrp like a single vst. I also have found myself using reason effects (bus compressor etc, synchronous etc more than the synths but that's probably due to the amount of vst synths I have). Looking forward to 11 suite dropping today as have been using the beta and enjoying the updates.
Live just seems so much quicker to get things done for me now and the thought of cabling things up just for a simple sidechain etc seems so long winded now. Guess I have changed as the cabling and look of reason imitating real hardware was what I loved so much and why I originally chose it.

miscend

23 Feb 2021

James Bermingham wrote:
22 Feb 2021
I always equate session view in Ableton Live, to Blocks view in Reason. Why Blocks is Disabled by default baffles me. There are lots of new Reason students that haven’t a clue about Blocks. The developers seemed to have abandoned it and hidden it within Reason
You're not wrong in equating them. The Blocks feature was implemented to appeal to the Ableton Live crowd but it needs further developing IMO to be useful for most people. It is not the default mode because most Reason users dont sequence with blocks, they either use Rack sequencers or the main linear sequencer.

orthodox
RE Developer

23 Feb 2021

miscend wrote:
23 Feb 2021
James Bermingham wrote:
22 Feb 2021
You're not wrong in equating them. The Blocks feature was implemented to appeal to the Ableton Live crowd but it needs further developing IMO to be useful for most people. It is not the default mode because most Reason users dont sequence with blocks, they either use Rack sequencers or the main linear sequencer.
I've been obsessed with the idea for years. Enable block sequencer run/stop to be controlled from MIDI, and allow multiple blocks to be active at the same time.

James Bermingham

23 Feb 2021

orthodox wrote:
23 Feb 2021
miscend wrote:
23 Feb 2021

I've been obsessed with the idea for years. Enable block sequencer run/stop to be controlled from MIDI, and allow multiple blocks to be active at the same time.
Sounds good. But for me the moment has passed and that ship has sailed. Should have been further developed years ago. Also VSt3 hosting should have been developed.

These 2 reasons are the major reasons I'm on Ableton Live 80% of the time ~ 20% in Reason (Pareto :D )

PhillipOrdonez

23 Feb 2021

Why has Ableton not charged my card yet.... 😑

guitfnky

23 Feb 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
23 Feb 2021
I saw some grumbling on the Ableton forum and was wondering about this this morning (okay, not this exact scenario, but related)...

I upgraded to Standard like 3 or 4 days ago, and when I first checked this morning, the site said 11 was live, but the license still hadn’t been granted to my account at that point. if I’d just continued using Lite or whatever it was, and bought 11 Standard this morning, I actually would have gotten access to it sooner (not much, but still).

seems there should be something in place to give existing users who preordered an upgrade priority to download immediately on release. it’s weird/dumb that the process sort of pushed you, and others to the back of the line.

James Bermingham

23 Feb 2021

The String Quartet Pack by Spitfire Audio, "included" with Live 11, is absolutely stunning. Time melts away whilst using it. Just saying.
Just this pack alone, regardless of all the other additions & updates to Live, is worthy of the upgrade.

PhillipOrdonez

23 Feb 2021

guitfnky wrote:
23 Feb 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
23 Feb 2021
I saw some grumbling on the Ableton forum and was wondering about this this morning (okay, not this exact scenario, but related)...

I upgraded to Standard like 3 or 4 days ago, and when I first checked this morning, the site said 11 was live, but the license still hadn’t been granted to my account at that point. if I’d just continued using Lite or whatever it was, and bought 11 Standard this morning, I actually would have gotten access to it sooner (not much, but still).

seems there should be something in place to give existing users who preordered an upgrade priority to download immediately on release. it’s weird/dumb that the process sort of pushed you, and others to the back of the line.
Yeah they need to process the purchases and that takes time. I wish they had just processed it the day I got the purchase button and have the link ready today 🤷‍♂️

PhillipOrdonez

23 Feb 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
23 Feb 2021
Downloading 😎

Popey
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2021

James Bermingham wrote:
23 Feb 2021
The String Quartet Pack by Spitfire Audio, "included" with Live 11, is absolutely stunning. Time melts away whilst using it. Just saying.
Just this pack alone, regardless of all the other additions & updates to Live, is worthy of the upgrade.
I have to agree the spitfire stuff is really useful and sounds amazing to me. I am also really enjoying pitchloop89 for just messing with sounds freezing them and then automating different things to move sound in weird and unexpected ways.

• Information