Is there anything stopping an alternative REX player being made?

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
Aquila

15 Feb 2021

After messing about with Kong's REX functionality, it has no quantized stop/start and no toggle on/off. This would've been a lovely alternative to a clip launcher function at least.

Just wondering if it's possible for an RE to be developed that can load REX loops and layer them in a quantized grid style?

orthodox
RE Developer

15 Feb 2021

Honestly, I have no clue how to get a REX loop opened in an RE. Not just a particular sample, but the whole loop. Is that even possible, could anybody tell me?

buddard
RE Developer

15 Feb 2021

No, there's no way to browse and load rex loops in REs, you can only load samples or repatch-files.

Billy+

15 Feb 2021

buddard wrote:
15 Feb 2021
No, there's no way to browse and load rex loops in REs, you can only load samples or repatch-files.
Am I correct in thinking that the Rex subsystem is part of the DAW code not the SDK?

buddard
RE Developer

15 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
15 Feb 2021
buddard wrote:
15 Feb 2021
Am I correct in thinking that the Rex subsystem is part of the DAW code not the SDK?
Well, sample playback isn't part of the SDK either, you have to implement it yourself.
All the SDK does in terms of samples is to provide you with an API that allows you to tell the host (i e Reason) to load one or more samples into memory, and to copy the data into your own buffers. Then you do what you want with the data. :-)

Aquila

16 Feb 2021

buddard wrote:
15 Feb 2021

Well, sample playback isn't part of the SDK either, you have to implement it yourself.
All the SDK does in terms of samples is to provide you with an API that allows you to tell the host (i e Reason) to load one or more samples into memory, and to copy the data into your own buffers. Then you do what you want with the data. :-)
Hmm. The way you worded that makes it sound like there could be a way to load REX files if you coded the module yourself. Have I misread?

buddard
RE Developer

16 Feb 2021

Aquila wrote:
16 Feb 2021
buddard wrote:
15 Feb 2021

Hmm. The way you worded that makes it sound like there could be a way to load REX files if you coded the module yourself. Have I misread?
No, there's no way to browse and load a REX file in an RE, because Reason has no mechanism to provide REs with that kind of data. You can only add browsers for patches or samples RE, there is no way to browse for REX files.

My comment was only addressing the question about there being a "Rex subsystem" in the RE SDK.

You could theoretically create a representation of a REX-file as a set of RE properties, and then create a tool that reads a REX file and spits out a corresponding .repatch file + one or several samples that you then load into your RE, but I think that extra step would probably scare off most customers.

Aquila

16 Feb 2021

Hehe fair enough. Bit of a shame. Would've been a brilliant way to do some multi-layered jams ;)

ziphren

27 Jun 2022

Would have been nice, since the Rex players are seriously limited. No quantizing options, no mangling options, etc...

• Information