RE feature request: pop-out window interface/programmer

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
joeyluck

15 Feb 2021

What makes REs so great is how they sit in the rack. However, this can also be the biggest challenge of the format and what can make it difficult for REs to compete with VSTs. It can make it challenging for a RE dev to fully realize their vision, they often make compromises, and/or they can end up with crammed interfaces.

The idea of the pop-out window programmer is that the RE dev can then focus on building an attractive interface for the rack, that focuses on main/popular controls and has a focus on accessibility more than having to cram in every feature. They don't have to have tiny controls and their rack interface can breathe.

The RE dev can then use this feature to have a pop-out window that is uninhibited by the rack dimensions. It can be wider and it can be taller. Their plugin can compete with the flexibility that VSTs have.

The pop-out window could be used to either offer further, in-depth features and controls, or it can serve to simply pop-out the identical (or mostly identical interface) to zoom and hone in on that device individually. It also gives the benefit of being able to float the window somewhere that is helpful, maybe over your Mixer window or at towards the top of a large player chain.

There are options of swappable editor panels, such as found on Scenic. But I find those difficult to work with and still limited, as you still can't be presented with but so much at one time. This would also be in lieu of being able to fold sections like NNXT and Thor.

The purpose of this is not a suggestion that every interface in the rack needs to be slimmed or dumbed down. Many are perfect as it is. It's just an idea that I think would benefit everybody; the developers and the users. I think it would greatly improve interfaces in the rack and help REs to compete with VSTs. IMO it feels like the next step in possible RE features and something to make REs more exciting.

jam-s

15 Feb 2021

I don't like that pop-out idea. Instead just having a zoomable rack would be far better. For in depth features multiple pages are enough imho. Also having smaller modular devices with CV modulation inputs instead of feature crept power synth behemoths is more Reason like.

deeplink
Competition Winner

15 Feb 2021

Maybe pop up macros?

I'm still dead set on the idea of extending the spectrum EQ to include all SSL controls - with animation/waveform display for things such as compressor the compressor and levels
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Billy+

15 Feb 2021

Yeah I quite like having the devices in the rack rather than a window, I would rather they RS managed to make vst's screw into the rack like RE's than make them all float.

Floating devices would just freak me out :lol:

joeyluck

15 Feb 2021

Well the idea is you wouldn't have to pop-out the window if you didn't want/need to. It would only be there to offer far more flexibility uninhibited by the rack's dimensions.

Some RE interfaces just don't work well (I'm not naming any here). And adding pages to make them not crammed—that can just kill workflow.

This is something a developer would decide to use, just the same as not every device has to use a custom display or swappable panels, etc.

So don't be scared of the idea. It won't change everything for you ;) lol

fieldframe
RE Developer

15 Feb 2021

This relates to my idea (from back before VST support!) that VSTs in Reason could have companion controller REs that would replicate each VST's most commonly used features directly in the rack. These "REfaces," as I so cleverly called them, would do nothing on their own, but with the correct VST installed, would load the VST behind the scenes, and have the option to "pop out" the full VST window similar to what you're suggesting for REs.

joeyluck

15 Feb 2021

fieldframe wrote:
15 Feb 2021
This relates to my idea (from back before VST support!) that VSTs in Reason could have companion controller REs that would replicate each VST's most commonly used features directly in the rack. These "REfaces," as I so cleverly called them, would do nothing on their own, but with the correct VST installed, would load the VST behind the scenes, and have the option to "pop out" the full VST window similar to what you're suggesting for REs.
Oh yeah—I suggested this before as well, which is something separate. Basically slapping some knobs and buttons on the VST rack device: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7508602

But I don't want people to get the thought that this means dumbing down RE interfaces in the Rack. Because it's not... or that Rack interfaces, like the VST device, would be only 2U size. There would of course still be no restriction on Rack unit size (well up to the current 9U restriction, unless that is ever increased).

This would just be an option so devs can have a little more flexibility and fun without the restrictions. And in lieu of this and that and whatever feature request, it could be incorporated into this window. So if foldable sections are never going to be possible like NNXT and Thor, maybe then the window which actually can offer more would be the better solution.

Creativemind

25 Mar 2021

deeplink wrote:
15 Feb 2021
Maybe pop up macros?

I'm still dead set on the idea of extending the spectrum EQ to include all SSL controls - with animation/waveform display for things such as compressor the compressor and levels
Good idea for the Spectrum EQ. Then it wouldn't necessarily be the Spectrum EQ though, they'd have to rename it, erm, SSL Analyser?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Catblack

25 Mar 2021

I think a pop out window listing the remotable items (and what they are mapped to) would be much, much better. The Remote backend for midi controllers is awesome in Reason, but it's all tucked in under the hood. If there were only a popup window that showed you what was mapped to what it'd go a long way toward people actually knowing what is controlling what. It'd make Reason much more usable for everyone immediately.

I'd studied and programmed Remote lua enough, I know it's awesome. (I can recall state for my launchpad pro controller by changing reason track names!) But I've been frustrated by having to root around, discover and study the remotable items in each rack extension enough that I switched to physical modular eurorack synths.

There should be a little popup IN REASON that's like the little window on a Nektar controller. Something expandable that shows you the name of your mapped controls and what they control on the current RE you have selected. Reason Studios if you are reading this, I double-dog dare you to code it up and try it out. A simple text based popup. I bet your usability with whatever controller you have hooked up increases immediately.

Sorry not sorry Joeyluck, this isn't the idea you propose in this thread, but it's easier for them to implement and it'd be miles better for everyone. Can you cruise through song creation knowing what those 8 sliders on you keyboard are controlling as you try extensions out? Give us a floating window and bam you will be finding that recording automation is a joy again -- because you will see what you have remotemapped!
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

• Information