Which DAW you're using Reason Rack Plugin in?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.

Which DAW you're using Reason Rack Plugin in?

Ableton Live
25%
Bitwig Studio
12%
Cakewalk (by Bandlab)
4%
Cubase / Nuendo
10%
Digital Performer
0%
FL Studio
3%
Logic Pro
13%
Mixcraft
0%
ProTools
3%
Reaper
11%
Studio One
10%
Waveform
0%
Other
7%

Total votes: 215
zoidkirb

21 Dec 2020

Adabler wrote:
21 Dec 2020
antic604 wrote:
20 Dec 2020
No. But why?
So that you can use Reason within Reason. Like in Inception.
For each insurance of RRP added inside itself, time is multiplied x20 in the previous instance. Get some good timestretch fx going that way.

antic604

02 Jan 2021

It seems like the dev time spent porting RRP to AAX was a complete waste of money ;)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

ShelLuser

06 Jan 2021

Interesting thread... I already voted but figured that I might as well share my story, because why not ;)

I'm using Live as my main DAW and as such I also use the RRP within Live (what a surprise, eh?). It may sound casual enough but it's only quite recent since I "officially" said goodbye to Reason 10 & ReWire and more or less replaced it with the RRP. Sorta...

Reason 11 has been a huge love/hate scenario for me and I plain out disliked the RRP with a passion at first, so I stuck with Reason 10 (which still supported ReWire). I really think Reasons sequencer and mixing panel are often underrated, but that's just my opinion. I've been using Reason since version 4 and I've always used Reason as an expansion for my Live setup. Live has been the heart of my home studio for over 10 years now, and I love it. I've reached a point where I no longer want to miss out on Max for Live and/or Max, that stuff is so darn extensive.... Although I have a regular Max license it's simply very easy (and useful!) to be able and build devices or effects and have them working right within your favorite DAW "just like that".

Alas, this is about Reason and not necessarily Live ;)

At first I disliked the RRP, with a passion. It's because of that why I discovered that you could easily use rack extensions with Reason 10 even though they were developed for Reason 11 (Scenic and such...). Of course the former Props changed and improved things (such as a functional tab key) and that changed a lot for me.

However, I still had to cope with missing out on a second "parallel" sequencer. Seriously you guys: once you start exploring the potential of having 2 sequencers working together you're opening up a Pandora's box, but in a (very!) positive way... depending on the sequencer of course, but you can do a lot of crazy stuff there. It takes getting used to, but once you get familiar with the workflow I don't think you want to miss out anymore. At least I don't. Eventually that gap got filled up by Maschine and once I had that setup I no longer had to rely on Reasons sequencer, the Maschine (hardware) controller made that transition even easier for me (a lot easier). As such the RRP became a very useful alternative for my setup. Especially after we had more MIDI routing options.

But there's still a bit more to this story... See... Maschine is developed by the same company which produced Komplete; an extremely extensive collection of instruments and effects where sound quality is most definitely a very major aspect of things. In my opinion Reason has always been about sound diversity whereas Komplete focusses more on sound quality.

Don't get me wrong there! I am not trying to insinuate that Reason has a poor sound quality, far from it even. There's a good reason why I have every instrument and rack extension made by the (former) Props (and a lot more!). But when talking about realism... Reason has an orchestral soundbank (the "Orkester sounds"). I really enjoy working with that setup, but it is with all due respect when I say that it simply cannot compete with Native Instruments' Symphony series. And this is honestly saying nothing negative about Reason mind you... I hold the same opinion about Ableton's Orchestral Instrument Collection ("OIC"), even though the OIC was the main reason why I upgraded to Ableton Live 9 back in the day. So: the inclusion of the OIC; now I could get my hands on a collection sold for over E 700,- for a fraction of the price.

No, my point here is that Reason provides instruments and effects which take sound creation to whole different levels. Think for example "Note Echo", "Dual Arpeggio" and/or "Beatmap". Not to mention the massive synth potential of powerhouses like Thor, Grain, Malström and my personal favorite: Komplex! I've played Komplete's Absynth 5 (and other synths) using a Reason combo of 'Note Echo' + 'Dual Arpeggio', "glued" together using Live, and then you get into some really extensive and impressive setups!

And don't get me started on those cables ;)

Of course the only "problem" for the former Props is that I'm not too sure about upgrading Reason any longer, let alone getting more rack extensions (my last purchase was Friktion, I love that critter, but even so... I also have alternatives). These days I'm relying a lot more on Maschine (powered by Komplete) than the RRP. I love Reason's RP for what it is, and it's not going anywhere in my setup, but I don't think R.S. can come up with new instruments or effects which aren't already part of Komplete (which is also fully usable using ("within") Maschine) or "3rd party Komplete compatible instruments". Another issue is that I can control and play all this stuff using my controllers: Push + Maschine, I can create a lot of sound (effects) these days without ever touching my PC keyboard and/or mouse. You can't really do that with the RRP.

Which is basically my story I guess... TL;DR: A long way of saying that while I've grown to love the RRP for what it is I also expanded in other directions, especially Maschine which compensated for the lack of a 2nd sequencer. That got me involved with Komplete and that opened up another world for me. One in which Reasons RP still has a prominent place, but not as much as Reason 10 (and prior versions) used to have.

</vent>

Sorry for the long read but... despite what I mentioned above I'm still quite passionate about Reason, that part has never changed.
--- :reason:

PhillipOrdonez

06 Jan 2021

Lots of live users in this forum!

zoidkirb

06 Jan 2021

ShelLuser wrote:
06 Jan 2021
....sequencer....
Agree that having a second sequencer when ReWiring opened up some cool possibilities.
Adding an optional sequencer window would be a nice easy addition to sell the concept of RRP 12. At the very least it would be a convenient place to stick Player pattern changes and an easier way to send/store Player midi out. Also the RRP having it's own Groove channels would be useful.
Personally I'd like to launch small clips in Session mode and run a sequencer in the RRP and have long automations there, as an alternative to using unlinked envelopes.

Ahornberg

07 Jan 2021

I use it in VCV Rack. The Expert Sleepers RE does a good job here.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ontroller/

willy_dinglefinger

14 Feb 2021

Whole reason I upgraded to v11 was to use the RRP in Reaper. Instead I ended up just getting into Reason standalone for a while, was great fun.

Then in Dec 2020, I got into Renoise out of necessity mostly and their recent v3.3 release added vst3 support. Which meant RRP is on the menu.

Now I'm just hooked. Renoise with RRP, Reaplugs and Airwindows plugs. What a combo.

Could see myself using RRP in Reaper for various projects but I can't see myself using Reason standalone again. Renoise is just too much fun and RRP is the icing on that cake.
Hypernormalise forum signatures :reason:

moneykube

14 Feb 2021

I use the stand alone... if forced I will use live and logic for the video sync capabilities lost with the removal of rebirth... but the options in the RRP plug are far less then what is capable in rewire... so I keep 10 on my computer to be able to use rewire ( in my opinion... rewire should never have been removed... it goes against the backwards compatibility that reason has boasted of for years)... amount a few other things removed that have had negative affects on users using the standalone version ( like the ignition key for off line use)... while we wait for the ram eating bug to be removed from reason 11. It seems instead of opening possibilities> as reason + advertises... Reason Studios is dumbing down their program, and are slow to add benefits other then more sounds ( few long time users need) with a currently buggy program , that is missing countless features present in other daws... More or less a plugin/ sounds/ subscribe service that is way behind in VST 2 development and missing VST 3 compatibility. Eat the bug... fix the DAW... I have spoken. :lol: :exclamation:
[media]https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.mememyp ... 0.7409.gif[/media]
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 8.38.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 8.38.10 AM.png (217.07 KiB) Viewed 3512 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

antic604

16 Feb 2021

moneykube wrote:
14 Feb 2021
I use the stand alone...
So why you're replying here? It's not a thread for you :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

moneykube

16 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
16 Feb 2021
moneykube wrote:
14 Feb 2021
I use the stand alone...
So why you're replying here? It's not a thread for you :)
because I would like to use it as something that could replace rewire which was the reasoning for the plug in and removal of rewire (right?)
Not saying I won't use it in some cases( in those cases I will and do use it in live and logic)... I have just have been hesitant to do so in many cases, because of the problems people have mentioned... I would love it if it worked as it was meant to work... and since I own it... I have the right to that opinion. The way I see it... we are being forced toward using it as a replacement for rewire... this destroys backwards compatibility which has been a benchmark of reason for years... I would love to use the new features in 11 within other daws as I have used pervious versions of reason in other daws for many years... but, I would love it more if it was a step forward and not a step backward instead.When I need to use reason 11 in other daws I will do so in the DAWs mentioned... I don't have to like it... That is my right. I answered the question what DAWs I will use it in once the limitations are addressed. I never said I don't use it... I should have said I prefer it as a stand alone at this point.... Semantics.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

stripedkeys

12 Mar 2021

I host the RRP in Gig Performer when I gig. Game changer.

Reminiscence

27 Mar 2021

I want to use it in Acid Pro 10, but it doesn't generate any audio or midi. :(

Crumbfort

29 Mar 2021

Reaper here.

All day every day.

Awwww yeah.

Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

jlgrimes

29 Mar 2021

antic604 wrote:
02 Jan 2021
It seems like the dev time spent porting RRP to AAX was a complete waste of money ;)
I guess but it probably makes the Pro Tools users day who uses it.

15-20 years ago PT compatibility was important to be considered a "Pro" application but now so many Studios are using almost any DAW. Its all about what you feel most comfortable with.

The couple of Professional studios Ive been to lately Ive seen Cakewalk at one and Logic at another. The other one, the engineer uses Pro Tools primarily but that said had about every DAW.

stripedkeys

29 Mar 2021

Reminiscence wrote:
27 Mar 2021
I want to use it in Acid Pro 10, but it doesn't generate any audio or midi. :(
Not sure if this applies to you, but when using RRP in Gig Performer on my Mac, I have to use the VST3 version. Any other version produces the same result you report.

Creativemind

26 Jun 2021

Crumbfort wrote:
29 Mar 2021
Reaper here.

All day every day.

Awwww yeah.

Excellent and me with Blankfiles Logic 3.80 theme.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Crumbfort

21 Jul 2021

Beautiful theme, that! :cool: I currently switch between custom v5 / v6 themes for different types of projects.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

• Information